My Comics From 1982!

I just found an old notebook that had my comics logged in from the 1982-83 period when I was a junior in high school. The grand total was 1564. The last time I took a count, I was past the 30,000 mark!! Anyway, I didn't count torn, raggedy or coverless books which I still kept. But the top books, quantity-wise, were:

• Action--32
  • Adventure*--31
  • All-Star Squadron--21
  • Avengers--43
  • Batman--32
  • Brave & Bold --77
  • Captain America --27
  • Daredevil--25
  • Dazzler--20
  • DC Comics Presents--52
  • Defenders--36
  • Detective--30
  • Fantastic Four--31
  • Flash--36
  • Ghost Rider--20
  • Green Lantern--33
  • Hulk--24
  • Justice League--72
  • Legion of Super-Heroes--41
  • Marvel Team-Up--78
  • Marvel Two-In-One--70
  • ROM, Spaceknight--25
  • Spider-Man--28
  • Superboy and the Legion*--24
  • Superman--30
  • (New) Teen Titans--31
  • Wonder Woman--27
  • World's Finest--43
  • X-Men--34

*no longer published at the time

Perhaps not the most surprising list but think of the characters NOT here like Doctor Strange, Iron Man and Thor. I had only one issue each of Mister Miracle and New Gods and no Forever People. I have no listing whatsoever for Jimmy Olsen orLois Lane. 

The only non-DC or Marvel title mentioned are E-Man and The Mighty Crusaders. There are movie comics though: Blade Runner, Conan:the Movie, Dark Crystal, Raiders of the Lost Ark and Time Bandits.

This is about the time that I went from a comic book reader to a comic book collector.

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Your own little time capsule, very cool!

• Thanks, John. I didn't list issue numbers but the heroes that appeared in each title, whether as a star, co-star, teammate or guest star. I always seem to buy books with different characters. I wanted at least one appearance of any hero or villain that I would learn about.

• All I have on paper are want lists, and probably nothing that's ten years old or more.  I stopped collecting around 1991, and restarted in late 1998.  I don't have anything from the first era, no comics, nothing.  All of that was in my family home which is longer standing.  I'm fairly certain that when I stopped collecting I either gave away my comics to younger cousins or sold them for a dime each to a local used bookstore.

When I got back in the habit, I made a list of the comics I had in my younger days that I wanted to reacquire, and kept updating the list as I filled holes, and added more and more "wants".  Sometimes I would put a date on the list, sometimes not, it was pretty haphazard.

I would recommend checking out the Mike's Amazing World website.  It's a great time capsule in its own way. 

www.dcindexes.com

This reply was deleted.