Now I realize that I have several irons in the fire, so to speak with my Fan of Bronze and Silver Sightings threads, but I'm either 1) nostalgic or 2) depressed so I'll be commenting on these DC 100 Pagers that I loved as a youth and still love today! I'm sure that I have at least 90% of them and hopefully these will appeal to Golden, Silver and Bronze Age fans. I know that I'm talking about Justice League of America AGAIN but you must start at the beginning and this was my first one. Also, I have the real issue in front of me so it's very visceral to me.

Justice League of America #110 (Ap'74) was the Christmas 1973 issue and it was in my stocking! About the cover, it's a bit generic and Nick Cardy can't do much with it but I got a kick seeing all the heroes lined up around the stories. The inclusion of Doctor Mid-Nite in the lower left corner began my fascination with him and my belief that he was a major character.

Also of note is the "Here Comes TV's Super-Friends!" banner. The debut of Super-Friends on Saturday mornings was the most exciting thing in my young life at the time. It seemed to validate my admiration of these heroes. This was four years before Superman: The Movie so this was super-hero action to me!

Despite the popularity of Super-Friends, Wonder Woman still did not rejoin the League until #128. But Aquaman would get more appearances. Of course, Superman and Batman were always there!

The new story "The Man Who Murdered Santa Claus!" was by Len Wein, Dick Dillin and Dick Giordano and edited by, naturally, Julius Schwartz. Credit was given to "Green Lantern fan" Duffy Vohland. It starts, logically, with the murder of a Santa Claus volunteer and the gauntlet is thrown!

SPOILERS ..................SPOILERS...................SPOILERS.....................SPOILERS....................

Since it began with the Man of Steel and the Darknight Detective, it was fortunate the challenge was addressed to the team or we would have had a World's Finest story instead! They summon the JLA but since it's Christmas time, many of them are away (Flash is in the future, the Atom is sub-atomic, the Elongated man is, uh, on vacation, etc!) but responding are the Red Tornado "smoothly" ditching Kathy Sutton, interrupting Green Arrow as he prepares to "notch an arrow" with Black Canary and in comics' most famous "slipping on a bar of soap" scene, Green Lantern incapacitates himself so his power ring zaps him with a healing aura and shanghies substitute GL John Stewart to the JLA Satellite (of Love)!

Despite Stewart's urban setting and attire, he is accurately portrayed as an architect. Hal Jordan apparently never told the team that he had a back-up but Green Arrow vouches for him. But Ollie gets into an argument with the Red Tornado about what Christmas is and since he is no Linus Van Pelt, it got heated. But since there are lives at stake, Batman takes charge as usual and leads them to St. Louis!

Since they have to find a specific lock in the city, Reddy uses his super-speed to find it using the GL-zapped key! This is because the Flash was not there but Superman and Green Lantern could have easily done the same thing! Luckily they find the correct building after meeting some poor children. Ironically it's GREEN ARROW who enforces the Guardians' rules with the tyro John Stewart. You would think that there would be a manual or something!

End Part 1---More to follow!

Views: 1471

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

(Hopefully) you can see the cover of #6 here and while we're at it, the Justice Society portrait from #110 here! Thanks to Hoy Murphy!

The World's Greatest Super-Heroes cover also had the Robin of Earth-One, Hawkgirl, the Vigilante and Johnny Quick! It was always weird to think that Johnny lasted FIVE years longer in solo adventures than Jay Garrick and was gone only TWO years before Barry Allen.

I always thought the 100-Page Super-Spectaculars were the greatest thing to come along since the invention of ink.

There are many I don't have, but I do have most of the Batman-related ones. I wore out my copy of The Brave and The Bold #115 (Oct.-Nov. 1974), featuring that classic story where Batman is rendered unconscious and The Atom runs around inside his brain to animate him: 

Another favorite is Batman #259 (Nov./Dec. 1974), which tied The Shadow to Batman's origin:

That image in the lower left corner of Batman in a business suit intrigued me to no end!

And I nearly shredded this one (Our Army at War#275, Dec. 1974). Fabulous art from Russ Heath in the lead story, where Rock goes to visit his father's grave -- and encounters a lone enemy lieutenant:

By the way, these images were found on the DC 100-Page Super Spectacular Comic Books blog.

Whoever created that site apparently made all the comics downloadable! :-D

But my computer can't read .cbz files. :-(

If anyone does attempt downloading though, the files did pass both Microsoft Security Essentials and Malware Bytes anti-virus scans.

It's a favorite of mine as well, Clark. This was the second and last of the Batman/Shadow team-ups and the best.

The "Batman-in-a-Business-Suit" was a really good story, btw.

But if I get to a Batman 100 Pager, it would probably be...Batman #258.

ClarkKent_DC said:

Another favorite is Batman #259 (Nov./Dec. 1974), which tied The Shadow to Batman's origin:

That image in the lower left corner of Batman in a business suit intrigued me to no end!

...DC SPECIAL was a " normal " title , with a numbering of its own , while the Super Giants and 100-Pagers combined both 1-shots and regular titles , making issues that were giant issues of ongoing series ( FE , the Lois Lane Super Giant . ) numbered as one in that series' numbering as well , IIRC .

...Thank you ( Even if I said it before !!!!!!!!! ) , Luke...The thing is , IIRC , that cover reflects what I believe was a new story ( I'll describe it later . ) , though it appears there were no full-fleged new STORIES in that issue , just intro/filler/whatever and gag pages , and I DO recall this story...Which , now , I am thinking maybe WAS in a WITCHING HOUR ish !!!!!

So , maybe they put this cover here instead of on the regular ish the actual story was in ???

Luke Blanchard said:

Here's a contents list, E.D. If DC ever does a Weird Mystery Showcase it might include the issue.

Second Reprinted Story of Justice League #110--Justice League #51--Z--As In Zatanna--And Zero Hour!

Another classic Fox/Sekowsky/Greene/Schwartz collaboration and the end of Zatanna's Quest to find her father, Zatara the Magician.

Zatanna summons Batman, Green Lantern, the Atom, Hawkman and then non-member the Elongated Man to JLA HQ to thank them for their "help" in reuniting her with her father. Actually it was their magical duplicates but she said they acted as the real JLAers would, so it was all good!

DC reprinted all the chapters of Zatanna's quest in various title, leading up to this: Hawkman #4 (in Supergirl #5), The Atom #19 (Detective # 438), Green Lantern #42 (Superman #272) and the E-Man story from Detective #355 (Detective #459). When Batman said that they never met, Zatanna said the she was the Outsider's Witch from Detective #336 which was also reprinted in Detective #459, complete with coming attractions for Justice League #110!! All but the first appeared in 100 Pagers!

All the creators are in top form here. Some comments:

• The JLA sure looked happy to see Zatanna!
  • What were readers' reactions to seeing the Elongated Man in Justice League? Was his name thrown around the letter columns for membership? Was Zatanna's?
  • If Zatanna can create magical duplicates of the heroes she met, why no Hawkgirl or Robin? And she never does that trick again, even after she meets Superman, the Flash, the Justice Society, Supergirl, etc! You would figure that would be a handy spell to have around!
  • The "JLA"'s battle with the Beast-Beings was very violent!
  • I loved that old enemies of Zatara's kept showing up in these stories. It gave them a sense of history and that Earth-One had heroes before the JLA, if not Superboy.
  • We've mentioned this before, but Zee turning out to be a disguised Witch just seemed like a way to justify Batman being in the story. I know, I know....Bat-Mania!
  • Girl Fight!
  • A complicated plot that made sense! Zatara was cursed so it was he who was stopping Zatanna from finding him, leading to the emotional ending!
  • I always thought Zatara was a cool character that was under-used. Even Roy Thomas basically ignored him in All Star Squadron. But Alan Moore gave him a noble end in Swamp Thing #50! "Constantine...If you do not deliver my daughter safely from this place, my shade shall hound you through all eternity. Is that understood?" And he meant it!
  • James Robinson used him to good effect, post-humously of course, in Starman.

Next: I haven't decided yet. But everyone please fell free to discuss, add or suggest your favorite 100 Pager!

Philip Portelli said:

What were readers' reactions to seeing the Elongated Man in Justice League? Was his name thrown around the letter columns for membership? Was Zatanna's?

I dug out my copy of JLA # 54 (Jun., 1967)---that issue's "JLA Mail Room" carried the letters of comment about "Z---as in Zatanna . . . ."---and read the letters printed. 

There were four, led off by frequent JLA commenter Leonard Rosen, of the Bronx.  Mr. Rosen and one other correspondent were highly complimentary of the story; another was also positive; the last was generally favourable toward the story, but thought it could have been plotted better.

Two of the letter-writers stated that they were pleased to see the Elongated Man make a guest-appearance in JLA; one of those two implied that the E-Man should be inducted into the League.  (I would also point out that, in the tale "Metamorpho Says---No", from JLA # 42 [Feb., 1966], the Justice League held its annual membership meeting, and the Flash nominated the Elongated Man for consideration.)

Three of the letter-writers expressed delight at seeing Zatanna appear with the Justice League, but none of them made any reference to giving her a membership with the group.

(Frankly---through to the end of "my" Justice League, in 1968, anyway---neither the Elongated Man, nor Zatanna possessed the qualifications for joining the League.)

Hope this helps. 

Go on then - what qualifications did they lack?  Their own comic?  A secret identity?

I had Batman #254-259, but for some reason missed #260-261. #254 in particular gave me a feel for the legend of the Batman. It occurred to me even at that tender age that Batman must be pretty long in the tooth by then, but it didn't particularly bother me much. #256 with the stories of Batman's better-known trophies was pretty good, too, and let us not forget those Detective 100-Pagers with the Goodwin Simonson Manhunter series (which I would not complete or appreciate until the next decade), either.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service