http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gotham_%28TV_series%29

New live action series on the Fox network, probably this fall, featuring James Gordon and Harvey Bullock investigating the deaths of Thomas and Martha Wayne, interacting with young Bruce Wayne, Alfred, Oswald Cobblepot, Selina Kyle, and other future Batman rogues.

Views: 846

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It will be interesting if nothing else to see if any costumed heroes exist to inspire Bruce to put on the cape since that is where he'll ultimately go if this is a Batman story.  It'll also be interesting to see the evolution of Gotham into the sort of place Batman feels at home.  I haven't seen much of Arrow but the shows of late have been kind of costume-phobic haven't they?  At least as far as the comic book standards go.

Emerkeith Davyjack said:

Okay , I now re-saw what the Captain said . Was Betty-e ever B-G in any N52-era reference ?

There is a reference to Bette being Flamebird (we see the costume). I'd have to go back and re-read carefully to see if there was any reference to Bat-Girl, because I don't remember one. As Batwoman's sidekick, she wears a gray, generic jumpsuit and is referred to as "Plebe," like a freshman in a military academy. (Batwoman attended one.) At least, that was the case through Batwoman Volume 2.

...Maybe lots of references to , not only that fateful Fairbanks/Flynn DF , but a revival house that shows lots of Republic serials , versions of THE DESERT SONG and THE SCARLET PIMPERNEL , etc ? :-)

( I , myself , have never seen any version of THE DESERT SONG...........)
Mark S. Ogilvie said:

It will be interesting if nothing else to see if any costumed heroes exist to inspire Bruce to put on the cape since that is where he'll ultimately go if this is a Batman story.  It'll also be interesting to see the evolution of Gotham into the sort of place Batman feels at home.  I haven't seen much of Arrow but the shows of late have been kind of costume-phobic haven't they?  At least as far as the comic book standards go.

Now we have a trailer.

Gotham TV Show Trailer

Evidently Gordon's first partner will be Bullock, which isn't canon in either New or Old 52. Gordon's first partner is usually Det. Flass, a corrupt cop. I kinda hate that, because Gordon's takedown of Flass was epic.

Captain Comics said:

Evidently Gordon's first partner will be Bullock, which isn't canon in either New or Old 52. Gordon's first partner is usually Det. Flass, a corrupt cop. I kinda hate that, because Gordon's takedown of Flass was epic.

Yes, it was.

I've never liked the way Frank Miller made Jim Gordon into an expatriate from Chicago -- his notion was that he needed to write this as a fish-out-of-water story, and that Gordon was leaving a corrupt environment to an even worse place -- but, man, Gordon't takedown of Flass was epic!

As for this series, I would have preferred Gotham Central, but I guess I'll give it a chance.

Also, the way Miller wrote Gordon's arrival (and Maggie Sawyer's arrival) in Gotham, it was like the military -- you put in for a transfer from the Chicago PD to the Gotham PD, and some overseeing agency approves it. Someone who's actually been a cop -- like the Commander -- can correct me, but since police work is a civilian job, I thought that means it works like any civilian job change: You quit your old one (or get fired/layed off) and apply for a new one. And I can't see the Gotham PD accepting Gordon's application, given that he was driven out of the Chicago PD for turning in corrupt cops. (I could see Gordon welcoming Sawyer, however.) All that rang false to me.

Other stories about Gordon arriving in Gotham have been better on that score, as it appears the PTB thought he'd play ball -- and were rudely surprised when he didn't.

ClarkKent_DC said:

Captain Comics said:

Yes, it was.

I've never liked the way Frank Miller made Jim Gordon into an expatriate from Chicago -- his notion was that he needed to write this as a fish-out-of-water story, and that Gordon was leaving a corrupt environment to an even worse place -- but, man, Gordon't takedown of Flass was epic!

Captain Comics said:

Also, the way Miller wrote Gordon's arrival (and Maggie Sawyer's arrival) in Gotham, it was like the military -- you put in for a transfer from the Chicago PD to the Gotham PD, and some overseeing agency approves it. Someone who's actually been a cop -- like the Commander -- can correct me, but since police work is a civilian job, I thought that means it works like any civilian job change: You quit your old one (or get fired/layed off) and apply for a new one. 

You're absolutely correct on that, Cap.  Police departments aren't one big collective entity, like the military. Each department is its own organisation.  One doesn't "transfer" from one to another.  An example would be, if Joe Bushrod was a cop for the Benkelman, Nebraska police department and he wanted to go work for the Palmdale, California PD, he couldn't just "request a transfer".  He would have to quit the Benkelman PD and then apply to the Palmdale PD and hope that the Palmdale force would hire him. Just as you indicated, Cap.

Certainly, having previous experience as a police officer would make Joe Bushrod a more attractive candidate for Palmdale to hire (presuming Bushrod didn't also have some negative baggage in his work history for Benkelman), but it's not an automatic thing to transfer from one to the other.  It's just like being a foreman at a Coca-Cola bottling plant and wanting to work as a foreman at a Pepsi-Cola bottling plant; you can't just "request a transfer"---you quit and hope the other outfit hires you.

But that "transfer between police departments" thing is a mistake that Hollywood often makes, too. Case in point:  the series of Die Hard films, in which John McClane stated that he had "transferred" from the NYPD to the LAPD in the second movie.

One other thing about Frank Miller writing Jim Gordon as a Chicagoan-come-to-Gotham: I prefer the old-fashioned notion that Gordon is a born-and-bred Gothamite who worked his way up the ranks from patrolman to commissioner. But Miller didn't think he could write that; he needed Gordon to be an outsider.

Captain Comics said:

I forgot to mention -- in Tim Burton's Batman, there was a Lt. Max Eckhardt, who was Harvey Bullock in all but name. See here and here. Don't know why he didn't actually have the name "Bullock" in the movie. (I also recall a Latina police officer in the movie who was Renee Montoya in all but name.)

Well, Eckhart was a dirty cop, and Bullock hasn't been portrayed that way before.  He might be in Gotham, but I hope not. One of Harvey's charms was that you couldn't judge that book by its cover.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2018   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service