Did you just pick up a new title at the comic shop and want to let people know about it? Here's a thread to tout your new faves.

I picked up two new #1s this week. 

The first, Fairlady, was a book I'd been looking forward to for a while. Written by Brian Schirmer, with art by Claaudia Balboni and Marissa Louise, each issue is a done-in-one mystery set in a fantasy world. The creative team pitches it as "Magnum PI, set after the War of the Rings." It's an accomplished first issue, with Jenner Faulds being  a "Fairlady" -- a private investigator in this postwar fantasy world. I'm looking forward to more. Published by Image. You can read a preview of the first issue here.

The second book, Orphan Age, was one I'd never heard of before it caught my eye in the comics shop. Published by Aftershock, it's written by Ted Anderson, with appealing art from Nuno Plati. It's set 20 years after a mysterious event instantly killed all of the adults on the planet -- the result is a world that the kids made up for themselves out of what remained of the old world. I expected this to be like "Y the Last Man, but with kids," but the 20-year time jump makes it more like The Walking Dead without zombies. Small communities, new customs coming from the old ways, and some communities are more aggressive than others. I'm really looking forward to seeing where this goes. There are some preview pages here.

Anyone else read these? What did you think? And what indy debuts have you picked up that might be flying under our radar?

  

Views: 1152

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Fallen World #1

Valiant's follow up to the 4001 AD event which takes place in the future world of Rai and also features Eternal Warrior and Bloodshot.    Nicely written by Dan Abnett.  I like the art by Adam Pollina a lot.  Looking forward to reading the rest of this.

I completely fell off of Valiant about a year or so ago. I loved it while I was reading it, but I had to cut things at one point, and I've never gotten back into the universe. I'm glad to hear its' still going strong.

Detective 445 said:

Fallen World #1

Valiant's follow up to the 4001 AD event which takes place in the future world of Rai and also features Eternal Warrior and Bloodshot.    Nicely written by Dan Abnett.  I like the art by Adam Pollina a lot.  Looking forward to reading the rest of this.

Dial H for Hero #2: Sam Humphries and Joe Quinones turn in a pretty good book here. I love both creators, and this is a perfectly serviceable comic, but not too much more than that, in my opinion. A kid gets the Hero Dial, he's on the run, he's with a girl (his obvious future girlfriend) who is a runaway, and that's about the whole story so far.

The gimmick (which I do not necessarily mean as a pejorative) in this book is that every superhero he becomes has its own art style. So far, we've had 90's Image style and manga style. I'd say this book gets a solid 6 out of 10.

Not technically a "new title", but Flash #70 (shipping this week) launches a new "Year One" story.

It's the art gimmick that gets me, too. It's really clever -- though I wonder how sustainable it is. But for these six issues, at least, it should be a lot of fun.

Wandering Sensei: Moderator Man said:

Dial H for Hero #2: Sam Humphries and Joe Quinones turn in a pretty good book here. I love both creators, and this is a perfectly serviceable comic, but not too much more than that, in my opinion. A kid gets the Hero Dial, he's on the run, he's with a girl (his obvious future girlfriend) who is a runaway, and that's about the whole story so far.

The gimmick (which I do not necessarily mean as a pejorative) in this book is that every superhero he becomes has its own art style. So far, we've had 90's Image style and manga style. I'd say this book gets a solid 6 out of 10.

I didn't realize this was only six issues. That's actually kind of a relief, because I don't want to see what would happen if someone ran out of art styles to do.

Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) said:

It's the art gimmick that gets me, too. It's really clever -- though I wonder how sustainable it is. But for these six issues, at least, it should be a lot of fun.

I figure it'll run for six, they'll take some time off, and if it's successful and they want to continue, do another 6. That's what they're doing for Naomi, and that's how the Jinxworld books have been working.

Bronze Age Boogie #2 comes out today. My store didn't have a copy (even though I'd pre-ordered it), so I'll be waiting another couple of weeks. 

DCeased #1 (of 6)

I always thought that Marvel Zombies was a clever title for a comic but I think I like DCeased even more.

I enjoyed the first issue of this zombie-themed mini quite a bit.  It's an alternate universe or Elseworlds tale so anything goes, and I think that's where most of the fun is going to come from.  The basic premise is that the anti-life equation has infected the earth's population through electronic devices and turned them into mindless savages.  The first issue centers mainly around Batman and the JLA but I'll be curious to see what other heroes are involved.

I loved this! I read it earlier, and I think Tom Taylor has a unique gift in that he writes the DCU so well when he isn't actually bound by the DCU. His Injustice is a work of genius.

The way he wrote Damian and Jon, Cyborg actually had a personality for the first time that I've ever read, and the "go with it" of this story are just brilliant.

Trevor Hairsine and James Harren on art are an interesting match-up, but it was so much fun.

Detective 445 said:

DCeased #1 (of 6)

I always thought that Marvel Zombies was a clever title for a comic but I think I like DCeased even more.

I enjoyed the first issue of this zombie-themed mini quite a bit.  It's an alternate universe or Elseworlds tale so anything goes, and I think that's where most of the fun is going to come from.  The basic premise is that the anti-life equation has infected the earth's population through electronic devices and turned them into mindless savages.  The first issue centers mainly around Batman and the JLA but I'll be curious to see what other heroes are involved.

I picked up Fairlady 2 and Orphan Age 2 today (along with Planet of the Nerds 2, but I haven't gotten around to reading that one yet). 

Of the two books, Fairlady was the most satisfying. It's another done-in-one mystery, this one around the disappearance or death of a Fairman, and I'm getting a sense of the storytelling style; the authors withhold information the detective has, then deploy it in flashbacks or callbacks to earlier scenes -- which makes it a good idea to reread the book to get a better sense of what really went on the first time. I like it.

Oprhan Age delivers a less inspired second issue, but still a decent done-in-one (considering the setting). But while I like thinking of this book like Walking Dead without the zombies, this one played too much like it was cribbed from the Walking Dead comic -- with a betrayal that comes as zero surprise. Still, I'm finding Nuno Plati's art really refreshing in this sort of story, and I'll likely stick with it for a few more issues. 

Is it too early to mention a couple of new titles not shipping until July?

HISTORY OF THE MARVEL UNIVERSE: Immediately following Crisis on Infinite Earths, History of the DC Universe became my go-to reference continuity source for years. I have high hopes for the Marvel version (written by Mark Waid), which is neither Marvel Handbook nor Marvel Saga, but rather a cohesive story. Some issues I’d like to see addressed: Sub-Mariner is nearly 100 years old at this point. And how many years did Captain America spend in suspended animation?

INVADERS: I forget the entire name of this series, but it’s written by Roy Thomas and drawn by Jerry Ordway. ‘Nuff said!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service