I meant to post this earlier but Night of the Lepus is on TCM tonight (4/15) at 11:30 PM EST.

This is one of those movies that I always heard about but never seen.

Of course, part of me wanting to see this is that DeForest Kelley is in it. As a kid, I was usually keen on seeing Star Trek actors in other shows!

Views: 559

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I saw Night of the Lepus many moons ago, when Johnny Carson was the king of late night TV, and CBS put on any kind of random nonsense because it knew it wasn't going to draw an audience. I saw the whole Planet of the Apes series in one week that way.

Captain Comics said:

I remember a couple of rat movies from the '70s, Willard and Ben. They weren't giant rats, but they didn't have to be, since there were a lot of them. I don't remember much about either movie, except that in at least one of them, Ernest Borgnine was devoured by rats. Evidently, my younger self thought that was awesome.

I remember those, also from CBS Late Night -- this was years before CBS got serious about being a contender at that hour and grabbed David Letterman after his falling out with NBC. But I read the MAD magazine parody of Willard -- "Willies: -- years before I actually saw the movie. I still remember bits like Ernest Borgnine offering Willard money: "I'll pay you a pretty penny! Maybe even a shiny new dime!" and the rats dressing up like Chicago mobsters in chalk-stripe suits, dark shirths, white ties, fedoras and spectator shoes. Funny what sticks in your mind ... 

Well, there's no mystery at the beginning! It directly stated that the movie is about rabbits!

It had me thinking about the Australian Rabbit Menace and how the rabbits spread in the Southwest after ranchers wiped out the predators and sure enough, both are mentioned in the first five minutes!

Of course, since DeForest Kelley is there, it also reminded me about the Klingons exterminating the Tribbles!

I didn't watch Night of the Lepus this weekend, but I did read about the Golden Age villain the Lepus in The League of Regrettable Super-Heroes (the follow-up to last year's The League of Regrettable Super-Heroes).

This movie looks vaguely familiar. Reminds me of Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

That bunny's dynamite!

Jeff of Earth-J said:

I didn't watch Night of the Lepus this weekend, but I did read about the Golden Age villain the Lepus in The League of Regrettable Super-Heroes (the follow-up to last year's The League of Regrettable Super-Heroes).

This movie looks vaguely familiar. Reminds me of Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

"Villains" there, maybe?

Indeed.

Like I did with Gojira, I plan to watch Night of the Lepus tomorrow when my wife isn't here to suffer through it.

They sure didn't spend any more than they had to on special effects. The human bodies we see (especially the first one) show no obvious injuries. I got the impression that the giant rabbits had been carrying gallon cans of red paint which they splashed around liberally.

It's 2017, and I'm still not convinced by the blood on shows like The Walking Dead, which is so good at everything else.

We've all seen blood -- it comes out red, and quickly oxidizes to a different color. All blood on TV and in movies is bright read pig blood, and doesn't look right.

Since I mentioned TWD, I'll follow through and say that I find it unconvincing when characters get bright red "blood" on their face and walk around the whole episode and it stays the same color.

Then again how much blood could you actually show in a public movie theatre at that time?

Richard Willis said:

They sure didn't spend any more than they had to on special effects. The human bodies we see (especially the first one) show no obvious injuries. I got the impression that the giant rabbits had been carrying gallon cans of red paint which they splashed around liberally.

The first victim is soaked in it from head to toe, but has no apparent wounds.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2017   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service