Even though issues 1 and 2 didn't overly impress me, I was planning on sticking with Flash: Rebirth out of faith that Geoff Johns would ultimately give me a good story. But issue three today convinced me that...yeah, I'm just not digging this book.

At the same time, Wonder Woman and Runaways remain on the verge for me, dependent on a new storyline and a new creative team, respectively.

I guess, given that I have something like three or four titles I want to find a space for, this could be worse news, but I'm disappointed that I'm not enjoying all these titles more.

Views: 7437

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I haven't read a new Marvel comic in a long time. Get this, I like Iron Man. I like Tony Stark. I don't think I've read a new Iron Man comic since David Micheline quit writing it. I can separate the characters as I liked them from what writers whose work I don't like have done with them. "Civil War"? As far as I'm concerned, it never happened. Or it happened on Earth-Marvel-3, and I can ignore it and go back and re-read what I did like. I also go looking for older comics I've never read before. Often, you can get them more cheaply than the new stuff I'm sure I'm not going to like. If someone at this site convinces me I'm missing something I would enjoy, I can always get it in TPB or go find the back issues.

I love the original Captain Marvel and the Marvel Family. DC haven't known what to do with them for a very long time. I still have my back issues and Archives and Showcases. I've read discussions about and descriptions of the more recent appearances, and I'll read those when I can get them for free, if then.

With a heavy heart, I have dropped the bulk of the DC books. I am not reading them, I have no connection with them and was getting them out of habit (or addiction). But this is the first time in my collecting life that I am NOT getting new issues of Superman, Batman, Flash, Green Lantern, Wonder Woman and the rest.

Am I okay with it? Surprisingly yes. Hopefully I can try new books and get more TPBs.

But I am nervous about it!

Right now my DC orders are

• ASTRO CITY
  • BATMAN'66
  • BODIES
  • FABLES (while it lasts)
  • FABLES: A WOLF AMONG US
  • JUSTICE LEAGUE (I can't quit this)
  • JUSTICE LEAGUE UNITED (the better of the two, IMO)
  • MAD (now and forever!)
  • MULTIVERSITY
  • SANDMAN: OVERTURE
  • SCOOBY DOO TEAM-UP (actually a neat book!)

I also dropped AVENGERS WORLD, CYCLOPS and SAVAGE HULK.

I've just picked up the second Avengers World trade and loved it- I'm really stoked for the next one - don't tell me it fizzles out.

I rather liked the first Cyclops trade to (being a Starjammers/Corsair fan) but I'm twitchy about the next one as the writer changes I believe - should I give it a wide berth?

and...I've only just discovered savage Hulk exists - I'm seeing Alan Davis drawing the original (proper-not-time-displaced) X-men vs Greenskin - is this any goo ...at all?

Philip Portelli said:

I also dropped AVENGERS WORLD, CYCLOPS and SAVAGE HULK.

Alan Davis is no longer doing SAVAGE HULK.

There are too many Avenger and X-Men books out there though I like STORM and NIGHTCRAWLER.

I loved Gabriel Hardman and Corinna Bechko's two-issue Dr. Strange arc in Savage Hulk.

I read the first issue of Storm, but have yet to return to it. As for Nightcrawler, neither Chris Claremont nor Todd Nauck appeal to me, so I have safely avoided all issues of that thus far.

Philip Portelli said:

Alan Davis is no longer doing SAVAGE HULK.

There are too many Avenger and X-Men books out there though I like STORM and NIGHTCRAWLER.

Unless Captain America and the Mighty Avengers makes a drastic change, that one is on the chopping block for sure. I bought the first two issues, but nothing after that.

Elektra just hasn't been doing it for me, despite the artistic tour de force.

Guardians 3000 got two issues out of me too, which is only because I bought issue 2 before I had bought issue 1.

Inhuman just stopped being interesting. It became a chore to read.

Same with Nova. It's okay, but okay isn't enough to keep me coming back.

She-Hulk would be there too, if the sales hadn't done it for me and canceled the book.

Silver Surfer's cutesy-ness has overstayed its welcome as far as I'm concerned. This is just Madman. If I actually wanted to read Madman, I would read Madman.

Thor still hasn't told us who the new Thor is, at least as far as I've read. Am I the only one who feels like they're trying to string us along on a mystery that no one really cares about? I'm still not sold on dropping this one yet, though.

Luckily Marvel is still putting out a lot of high-quality books for me to keep up with.

I'm liking Nightcrawler if only for the Todd Nauck art.  Claremont is still Claremont. 

I'm having a harder time with Storm.  It isn't bad, it's just...I dunno, it's just not working that great.  Partly because of the titular character. Ororo's a kind of character that doesn't really fit well into the stories she's being written into. I think it would work better if it were more of a straight superhero title rather than a spinoff X-title.

Philip Portelli said:

With Captain America and the Mighty Avengers, I think that once the Inversion storyline is over, it will be a much better book. It does stink that Sam gets to be Cap but he's automatically turned into a fascist.

IMO, the Inhumans are a group of unlikeable characters that I couldn't care less about.

I'm loving Silver Surfer and I never thought I'd say that, as I've never been that fond of the character in the past. I like the way that Dawn is affecting him and making him more human. Horse races, I suppose.

For now, I'm okay with the direction of Thor, considering that to me, this comic is a mini-series. We all know that Thor will be Thor again soon enough. A little mystery doesn't bother me.

Wandering Sensei: Moderator Man said:

Unless Captain America and the Mighty Avengers makes a drastic change, that one is on the chopping block for sure. I bought the first two issues, but nothing after that.

Inhuman just stopped being interesting. It became a chore to read.

Silver Surfer's cutesy-ness has overstayed its welcome as far as I'm concerned. This is just Madman. If I actually wanted to read Madman, I would read Madman.

Thor still hasn't told us who the new Thor is, at least as far as I've read. Am I the only one who feels like they're trying to string us along on a mystery that no one really cares about? I'm still not sold on dropping this one yet, though.

Mighty Avengers was my favorite Avengers title. Hopefully Captain America and the Mighty Avengers will be just as good.

Of course, it should be titled Luke Cage and the Mighty Avengers!

As long as Luke Cage isn't an newly-evil fascist, I'll take it.

I'm buying this week's issue, but only under the assumption that, with Axis over and done, the Evil Avengers are over and done as well.

Philip Portelli said:

Mighty Avengers was my favorite Avengers title. Hopefully Captain America and the Mighty Avengers will be just as good.

Of course, it should be titled Luke Cage and the Mighty Avengers!

I haven't read Storm, but word has it that the premise involves Ororo being a remarkably principled character.

That is an odd concept to attempt to fit the character into, seeing how she was portrayed as at odds with it since the mid 1980s at least.

Money is forcing me to drop a few titles that I might have hung in with a few years ago. Batgirl, I can see where they are going and it's not bad, but she's gone from a serious heroine in adult mature sort of world to someone who I think should team up with Scooby and the gang. It feels like she's been demoted and the change is a bit too jarring for me.

I'm close with Batwoman but I'll see how the storyline goes for an issue or two longer. The rest of the DCU stuff from Worlds End, Futures End, Earth 2 end... All the doom and death stuff about Earth 2 has just gotten too depressing for me right now.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service