OK, just read issue #0.  It involves the current iteration of Nova, who is apparently a kid named Sam Alexander, whose father was an old drunk who claimed to have been an intergalactic space hero, and who eventually disappeared. In time, the son discovers that the old man had been an intergalactic space hero and ends up becoming the new Nova himself. I'm not familiar with this version of the character, so I can't say how long he's been around. I remember reading the original Nova nearly forty years ago - I don't have any great memories of him except that he was drawn by Carmine Infantino for awhile.

Anyway, our Sam fights a robot version of Tomazooma and meets the Avengers and asks them about the Watcher and finds out that while they know the Watcher watches, they don't know why. So, he goes to the Moon and gives the Watcher a rock and Utau Atua Utapau Uatu shows him his home movies of how his Dad (Uatu's, I mean, not Sam's) was the one who had the bright idea of giving the Prosilicans nuclear energy and we all know how that worked out.  Is this new?  I don't remember it being U Thant Utrecht Uatu's old man who did that. Anyway, Sam asks Uatu just how much he watches and Uatu blows his mind by showing him scenes from old issues of What If.  Anyway, Sam realizes that what Uatu is really hoping to see is a world where his dad wasn't wrong. Sam commiserates and says that he wishes his father wasn't a screw-up, too, then asks Uatu what happened to his (Sam's, not Uatu's) dad, and after a slight pause, Uatu tells Sam that his dad is still alive. (Say, isn't that sort of "interfering", Uatu, old son?).  Sam goes off happy and Uatu puts the rock on a shelf. 

A mildly interesting story, and the art is nice enough.

Say, the Watcher apparently has an armory - he's really loaded for bear - where he keeps the Ultimate Nullifier. How'd he end up with it? I thought Galactus took that back after Reed made him promise to leave Earth after threatening to blow his head off with it.

Views: 2735

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

In a way Nick Fury is suddenly like Batman in that he has no special powers but seems to be able to stand in a room full of super powered beings and be respected anyway.

He does fit the Batman mold more so than Daredevil or Moon Knight (Moon Knight is sort of Marvel's Shadow). Both are extremely driven by their job. Both don't take guff from nobody (at least the modern version of Batman is like this, 1966 Bats was a lot more tolerant). And it can be argued that guys like Jasper Sitwell (especially back when he was a well meaning but somewhat incompetent doofus) are Fury's sidekicks. And like Fury knows who all the Marvel heroes really are (or at least did when he told Spider-Man he'd always known he was Peter Parker, only Parker didn't need to know he knew), you figure if he wanted to know, Batman could get the i.d.s of every DC hero (and villain) without much trouble. Both Fury and Batman could be played even darker than we've seen them if Marvel and DC really wanted to make their universes paranoid.

Now I have a mental image of Mary Marvel with an eye patch, smoking a cigar and cursing. Sadly, it wouldn't be the worst thing that's happened to her.

Shooty the Fury Bunny would probably get along great with Bucky O'Hare and that green rabbit that George Lucas ordered Marvel to remove from their Star Wars comic for being too goofy a character (then of course Lucas made an even goofier character himself) and Rocket Raccoon. Toss in Destroyer Duck and you've got an all animal Sgt. Fury series.

The Baron said:

Doctor Hmmm? said:

I was going to put this in the "What Are You Thinking Right Now" thread, but I realized I have to put in a whopping big SPOILER ALERT and I'm far too lazy for that.

So what I'm thinking right now is that maybe Nick Fury could be the Lieutenants Marvel of the Marvel Universe.  We could have Old Fury, Young Fury, Black Fury, 2-Eyed Fury, Mary Fury, etc., etc.

If they did that, I might actually give a rat's patoot what's happening in the 2014 Marvel Universe.  But probably not.

Somehow, I both do and do not want to see Mary Fury.

Also, don't forget Shooty the Fury Bunny.

David Hasslehoff would be perfect for old Nick Fury. I don't know what he's done to himself but he looks almost 90.

Original Sin #7 of 8 (October 2014): "Nick Fury vs. The World"

OK, we start with a flashback where Orb, Doctor Midas and Exterminatrix are on the Moon, trying to rob Uatu. They are caught by Uatu and decide to kill him.

We cut to the present, where Nick has knocked Bruce onto the Moon.  A bunch of Avengers attack Nick, They don't do so well. Steve calls in Thor, having waited that long because reasons.  

Meanwhile, the Odd Squad all accuses one another of secretly working for Nick. Stephen insists that they all must cooperate to kill Nick. The Orb allows as how he likes the idea of killing Nick, then blasts them all with an energy wave.

We flash back again, to see our villains fighting Uatu. Finally, we see that it was the Orb who shot Uatu.

In the present, Nick beats Thor by whispering something to him. Tony see Thor on the Moon, trying to lift his hammer. Nick uses an override code to send Tony back to Earth. On the Moon, Doctor Midas knocks out Bruce, and the Orb talks about seeing the Watcher's last secret.

We flash back yet again to see Nick arriving on the Moon to find a badly-wounded Watcher. Nick asks the Watcher what he saw, but gets no response, Nick says, "At least this time, no one's watching." We pull bakc and see that seven other Watchers are watching.

Overall:  Another confused mess. This whole series makes Marvel's heroes look like easily-confused jerks.

Last I heard the Orb was just a badly disfigured non-super with a weird mask. Where did he get a weapon that could even faze the Watcher? Nick Fury can beat the Avengers, why did he have so much trouble with Scorpio and Baron Strucker and the Yellow Claw?
And I've heard they're planning a story where the heroes become bad and the villains good? A bit late for guys like Reed and Tony to suddenly go bad, isn't it?
This is how Thor loses his hammer? Fury mutters something to him and he can't lift it anymore? Then he's not unworthy, not being able to lift his hammer is all in his mind?
This sounds like a fan project that somebody came up with and posted on the internet more than something a major publisher would release as an important series.

I'm a bit confused on how a cosmic level guy like Uatu could be killed by Orb as well. I'm also confused on how Orb got the moon and into the Watcher's house in the first place.

I don't even know when Uatu went back to the moon. I thought he moved out in the 60s and the Inhumans moved in.

And I know the Watchers hate to get involved, but seven of them watched Uatu die and none of them said anything? Not even one starting to do something and being told to mind his own business by the others?

And wouldn't the death of a Watcher be known all over the galaxy and beyond? Why aren't there Skrulls or Kree or Badoon or Shi'ar showing up trying to get his eyes away from the "dangerously primitive" Earthlings?

I think when the Inhuman's moved in the Watcher just let them. I do remember a Marvel Team Up where a galactic thief using a weapon from Galactus blown up ship managed to sneak into the Watcher's house, but short of something like that I can't see anyone getting in there. Or if getting in there being thrown out in a hurry as he did to Wolverine once.

Mark S. Ogilvie said:

I'm a bit confused on how a cosmic level guy like Uatu could be killed by Orb as well. I'm also confused on how Orb got the moon and into the Watcher's house in the first place.

I gather he used one of the gamma bullets that Fury had been using to kill monsters.  No idea how he got ahold of it.

The heels got to the Moon because Doctor Midas had a space ship. The Orb claimed he'd been summoned to Uatu's place, and the door did open to let him in, so maybe so.

Ron M. said:

I don't even know when Uatu went back to the moon. I thought he moved out in the 60s and the Inhumans moved in.

And I know the Watchers hate to get involved, but seven of them watched Uatu die and none of them said anything? Not even one starting to do something and being told to mind his own business by the others?

And wouldn't the death of a Watcher be known all over the galaxy and beyond? Why aren't there Skrulls or Kree or Badoon or Shi'ar showing up trying to get his eyes away from the "dangerously primitive" Earthlings?

Uatu's been living on the Moon for as long as I've been reading comics (i.e the mid-70's). I always thought he and the Inhumans just sort of shared the Blue Area.

Yeah, it's one thing to swear not to interfere in the affairs of other species, but it seems a bit extreme not to interfere in the affairs of your own.

I'm sure there was a story where he said he was moving further away to watch us after the FF reached the moon. Was it retconned? I think the Red Ghost was in it.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Latest Activity

Jeff of Earth-J replied to Alan M.'s discussion So, What Are You Reading These Days? (besides comics)
"FLORIDA MAN by Mike Baron:  Potato chips are empty calories with no nutritional value…"
3 minutes ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion Sandman (TV)
"I'm glad season one will cover "The Doll's House," but they'd better get a…"
10 minutes ago
Richard Willis replied to Randy Jackson's discussion Did Paste Pot Pete/the Trapster ever admire Spider-Man's Webs?
"Since this is a 1972 issue, I'm sure I read it. Completely forgot it fifty years later."
37 minutes ago
Richard Willis replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion Sandman (TV)
"According to Wikipedia, the episodes have a "Running time 37–54 minutes."…"
41 minutes ago
Travis Herrick (Modular Mod) replied to Randy Jackson's discussion One Piece hits over 500 million in print
"I've never read the books or watched the show, but I have friends who are HUGE fans of the…"
43 minutes ago
Lee Houston, Junior replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"I have no problem with a Joe Kubert spotlight month in September. I also don't have a problem…"
44 minutes ago
Travis Herrick (Modular Mod) replied to Wandering Sensei: Moderator Man's discussion What Comic Books Have You Read Today?
"I didn't enjoy the comic book series enough, for various reasons, to even finish it, so I…"
47 minutes ago
Captain Comics replied to Captain Comics's discussion This Week in Comics: Aug. 8-14, 2022
"I'm glad you said that you've read the setup a million times. That's the way it…"
48 minutes ago
Richard Willis replied to The Baron's discussion Movies I Have Seen Lately
"I Think We're Alone Now is a post-apocalyptic movie we stumbled across on ... Prime, maybe?…"
50 minutes ago
Travis Herrick (Modular Mod) replied to Captain Comics's discussion This Week in Comics: Aug. 8-14, 2022
"Also, dead or not, they're right. Blacksad is awesome. It's like Ed Brubaker stories…"
56 minutes ago
Captain Comics replied to Wandering Sensei: Moderator Man's discussion What Comic Books Have You Read Today?
"I have ordered the three deluxe Paper Girls books. I think that's the whole series. I have…"
1 hour ago
Richard Willis replied to The Baron's discussion RIP Olivia Newton-John
"After fighting against it for years, her cancer came back, in the base of her spine. Grease was a…"
1 hour ago

© 2022   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service