Every week, one item or another in my pull and hold stands out for me above the rest in one way or another. Sometimes it’s a periodical, sometimes a graphic novel, sometimes a collection. Does that happen to you? If so, let’s hear about it here. It can be an item you’ve long anticipated or something you bought on a whim. If it’s something you were really looking forward to but ended up being a big disappointment, let’s hear about that here, too. I’ve been meaning to start this topic for a long time now, but chose today to post about something I’ve been waiting for a long time, long before it was even solicited.

SILVER SURFER EPIC COLLECTION BY STEVE ENGLEHART AND MARSHAL ROGERS

This is a favorite run of mine, but I’ve read it only twice: once as it was released, and I re-read it once after that. It came out as an “ESSENTIAL” a few years ago, but for this I held out for color.

EDIT: Most weeks I make my picks before I have read them, but feel free to choose either the books you anticipate most before you read or enjoy the most after you have read them.

Views: 6168

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Oh, man, Basketful of Heads is SO GOOD. First issue's out this week, and it slowly spools out tension like the opening half-hour of Jaws.

Yeah, I read your review in "New Title Alerts."

I'm definitely interested in Grand Design, too -- Scioli is a great choice for FF -- but I think I'm going to wait for a collection. Someone suggested that it be reprinted as a treasury-size edition. I don't know if there are actual plans for that, but I bet it would be a treat if it happened.

I imagine there are such plans because X-Men: Grand Design was reprinted in that format. I think I may tradewait it in that format, too, but I wanted to pick up at least the first issue to get a feel for it. I haven't read it yet, but I'm a bit disappointed in the paper stock. Instead of the more "absobant" kind of X-Men: Grand Design, this one is more glossy and just doesn't work... another reason to tradewait.

Yeah, it probably will be better that way. Especially with the little panels that Scioli uses. I couldn't help it,though. I bought the first issue.

Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) said:

I'm definitely interested in Grand Design, too -- Scioli is a great choice for FF -- but I think I'm going to wait for a collection. Someone suggested that it be reprinted as a treasury-size edition. I don't know if there are actual plans for that, but I bet it would be a treat if it happened.

Speaking of "the little panels Scioli uses," I think of the nine-panel grid popularized by Steve Ditko ad used by later artists from Keith Giffen to Dave Gibbons. Tom Scioli uses a modified, 5 X 5, 25 panel grid. (What I mean by "modified" is that most pages feature one or more "double" or "triple" panels. I started reading it last night but it was late and I was getting tired. I'll post something more about it Monday.

I think I might buy the rest of the periodical series, then find someone to give it to when I replace it with the treasury reprint. (That's what i did with the X-Men one.)

As for the topic question: Basketful of Heads. I’m so excited for this book, and all of Hill House as well.

I'm pretty sure this one's only a 2-issue series, so you're halfway there already!

Jeff of Earth-J said:

Speaking of "the little panels Scioli uses," I think of the nine-panel grid popularized by Steve Ditko ad used by later artists from Keith Giffen to Dave Gibbons. Tom Scioli uses a modified, 5 X 5, 25 panel grid. (What I mean by "modified" is that most pages feature one or more "double" or "triple" panels. I started reading it last night but it was late and I was getting tired. I'll post something more about it Monday.

I think I might buy the rest of the periodical series, then find someone to give it to when I replace it with the treasury reprint. (That's what i did with the X-Men one.)

[headslap icon]

Oh, yes! Legion of Superheroes, without a doubt. It's only a day away!

I think I'm going to have to go with...

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service