Every week, one item or another in my pull and hold stands out for me above the rest in one way or another. Sometimes it’s a periodical, sometimes a graphic novel, sometimes a collection. Does that happen to you? If so, let’s hear about it here. It can be an item you’ve long anticipated or something you bought on a whim. If it’s something you were really looking forward to but ended up being a big disappointment, let’s hear about that here, too. I’ve been meaning to start this topic for a long time now, but chose today to post about something I’ve been waiting for a long time, long before it was even solicited.

SILVER SURFER EPIC COLLECTION BY STEVE ENGLEHART AND MARSHAL ROGERS

This is a favorite run of mine, but I’ve read it only twice: once as it was released, and I re-read it once after that. It came out as an “ESSENTIAL” a few years ago, but for this I held out for color.

EDIT: Most weeks I make my picks before I have read them, but feel free to choose either the books you anticipate most before you read or enjoy the most after you have read them.

Views: 5548

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You mean before the revival series, I think? A bit before it Robotman also appeared with Changeling in Titans Spotlight. I've not read the issue.

DC reprinted a few DP stories in the 1970s, and featured them in an issue of a reprint digest in the earlier 80s. I think I left my copy on a train.

I was a fan of the original DP, going back to the first issue with "Doom Patrol" as the title (instead of "My Greatest Adventure"). I was initially excited about their revival, until it arrived, and everything I enjoyed about the original series had been almost surgically removed. Eventually it moved in a direction I liked -- with Morrison being the far end of that -- but I was never crazy about the Kupperberg approach, and therefore the characters that arose from that. I don't really recall what became of Celsius and friends, even though I'm pretty sure I read about them later, but am glad not to read any more about them.

Celsius and most of the other new characters were killed off by Kupperberg before he left because Morrison only wanted to use some of the characters, as I understand it.

Captain America #698 narrowly edges out Marvel Two-In-One #3 for me this week.

I was thinking about this last night. I haven't read any yet, but I think I'll pick Captain America #698 as well. It's the beginning of a three-parter leading into milestone issue #700.

I'll go with Tales of Suspense #102.. I'm digging the Bucky/Hawkeye team-up.

Put me down for Infinity Countdown Prime #1.

This week I'll go with Lockjaw #1 narrowly edging out Terrifics #1.

Nothing really stood out this week. (It was a light week for me.) I picked up the Yellow Submarine ashcan on a whim. It's a free preview of a graphic novel adaptation of the 1968 cartoon. It didn't even have words, just some of the artwork. I guess I liked that best of what I picked up this week.

I loved The Terrifics! Sure, it's the only one I've read that came out last week, but man, it definitely delivered!

I liked The Terrifics a lot. It's mostly setup, but I like what it's setting up, and how. This should be a fun book.

I'll have to give The Terrifics a look. (I passed on it last week.)

For this week, it'll either be Captain America #699 (Hulk vs. Thing in 2025) or Frankenstein Alive, Alive! #4.

Or Strangers in Paradise XXV #2.

Hmm...

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2018   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service