Replies

• Just saw a Columbo episode on Sunday night that featured Milner. The episode was directed by Stephen Spielberg - which was a bit of a surprise - didn't realize he had directed episodic TV.

Adam 12 was a regular part of my Saturday night TV viewing. Milner's low key style was perfect in that show.

• ...Spielberg did , but , I THINK he only did " feature-length " made-for-TV movies and series in a " movie-length " - at least 90 minutes with commercials - format .

More later .

doc photo said:

Just saw a Columbo episode on Sunday night that featured Milner. The episode was directed by Stephen Spielberg - which was a bit of a surprise - didn't realize he had directed episodic TV.

Adam 12 was a regular part of my Saturday night TV viewing. Milner's low key style was perfect in that show.

• doc photo said:

Just saw a Columbo episode on Sunday night that featured Milner. The episode was directed by Stephen Spielberg - which was a bit of a surprise - didn't realize he had directed episodic TV.

Steven Spielberg's first claim to fame was as director of Duel, a TV movie starring Dennis Weaver as a driver being stalked by a trucker who is bent on running him off the road.

• As for Martin Milner, I never saw Route 66; all I know of that show is the cool theme. But Adam-12? That was my Saturday night TV as well. I never missed it. As noted elsewhere, I know the Miranda warning by heart because I heard it countless times on Adam-12

I watch it now from time to time MeTV and it's kind of quaint, but still holds up better than other shows of the day, like Emergency!, another childhood favorite. 

Funnily enough, Martin Milner and Kent McCord showed up in the Emergency! pilot episode as their Adam-12 characters, Officer Pete Malloy and Officer Jim Reed.

Here's to Martin Milner. As they say in the L.A.P.D.: End of Watch.

• ...I have a fond memory of an episode of 90-minute series THE NAME OF THE GAME titled " L.A. 2017 " a futuristic SF/semi-dystopia story (that I recall received a TV Guide " Close-Up " that week , that's why I watched it , the only time I ever did) ~ Howevs , per Wikipedia , I was wrong , he directed some hour-long episodes too .

• ClarkKent_DC said:

doc photo said:

Steven Spielberg's first claim to fame was as director of Duel, a TV movie starring Dennis Weaver as a driver being stalked by a trucker who is bent on running him off the road.

I remember the picture. I wouldn't mind seeing it again.

• Sorry to hear about it.

What was odd was in another episode of Emergency! Adam-12 was a TV show they watched. Malloy and Reed also turned up in an episode of Dragnet. Was that a pilot for Adam-12?

ClarkKent_DC said:

As for Martin Milner, I never saw Route 66; all I know of that show is the cool theme. But Adam-12? That was my Saturday night TV as well. I never missed it. As noted elsewhere, I know the Miranda warning by heart because I heard it countless times on Adam-12

I watch it now from time to time MeTV and it's kind of quaint, but still holds up better than other shows of the day, like Emergency!, another childhood favorite. 

Funnily enough, Martin Milner and Kent McCord showed up in the Emergency! pilot episode as their Adam-12 characters, Officer Pete Malloy and Officer Jim Reed.

Here's to Martin Milner. As they say in the L.A.P.D.: End of Watch.

• ...I neglected to pont out exactly that that L.A. 2017 episode of The Name Of The Game was directed by Stephen Speilberg .e I sowwy . (The cat...!)

• Ron M. said:

What was odd was in another episode of Emergency! Adam-12 was a TV show they watched. Malloy and Reed also turned up in an episode of Dragnet. Was that a pilot for Adam-12?

It Sounds like it was a crossover, of which there were several in the Jack Webb-produced shows:

Wikipedia says:

"Dragnet, Adam-12, and Emergency! take place in the same universe and depict different aspects of the public safety infrastructure of Los Angeles, California. There are several "crossover" episodes on each series with characters from other Mark VII shows.

Officers Pete Malloy and Jim Reed appear on the Dragnet episode "Internal Affairs: DR-20", The D.A. episode "The People vs. Saydo" (the conclusion to a crossover that begins on "The Radical") and the Emergency! pilot movie, "The Wedsworth-Townsend Act". Sergeant MacDonald appears on the Dragnet episode "Personnel: The Shooting". The episode "Lost And Found" was set at Rampart General Hospital and featured the Emergency! cast. However, during an Emergency! episode, Adam-12 is shown as a TV show that the paramedics like to watch, causing somewhat of a paradox between the shows. Several years after Adam-12 was cancelled, Kent McCord was signed to appear in a planned third series of Dragnet playing Sgt. Friday's partner, but the project was cancelled due to Jack Webb's sudden death in 1982; since none of the scripts Webb wrote for the project were ever produced or released, it is not clear if he intended McCord to play a different character or to revive the Jim Reed character."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adam-12

• Well, obviously, Reed and Malloy's exploits caught the eye of an influential TV producer who greenlit a show featuring characters strongly based on them.  ;)

This reply was deleted.