Secret Empire 0 pulls together threads from several different books which constitute the prologue. They are conveniently laid out here:

I only read the Steve Rogers issue and didn’t really feel like I needed to read the rest to follow what was going on in Secret Empire 0. In Steve Rogers 16 we see Cap’s secret plan start to coalesce as Hydra seeks to reassemble the Cosmic Cube without reawakening Kobik and Zemo appears to kill Bucky.

This brings us to Secret Empire 0 wherein it is outlined that the Cosmic Cube was apparently created by American scientists during the World War II era and used to create the reality that we know as the original Marvel Universe.  Hyrdra’s plan is to use Cap to “undo” that “fake” reality and restore the “true” reality in which Hydra conquers the world.  So they appear to be telling us that the entire Marvel Universe is all just one big EYKIW.

On the other hand, we are still getting the intro text page telling us that Kobik has rewritten reality.  In which case this whole Captain Hydra saga is just one big bad dream that can be Bobby Ewinged out of existence at any time.

In the meantime Nick Spencer has started knocking down the dominos that he has nicely put into place over the last year or so.  This isn’t just a bunch of random stuff thrown together to sell a summer crossover. There appears to have actually been a lot of planning that went into this.

Here’s the way it will unfold going forward:

It doesn't appear that there are too many tie-ins or spin-offs, although I suppose that could change but so far I'm on board for the main series and probably Uprising as well.

Views: 788

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Mark S. Ogilvie said:

To get all of them will be over 100.00 dollars.

It's not happening. Never again.

Trouble is if you don't get all of them you'll miss part of the story and you won't know what part of the story you'll miss if you don't get all of them.

Based on the Secret Warriors preview, I'm guessing that most of the tie-ins will be tangential to the main story.  So maybe we will see Captain Hydra take over the world and convert it to a police state and then in the tie-ins we'll see the various Marvel characters playing the role of resistance fighters as they struggle against Hydra occupation. Kind of like a Red Dawn scenario across the Marvel Universe.

Mark S. Ogilvie said:

Trouble is if you don't get all of them you'll miss part of the story and you won't know what part of the story you'll miss if you don't get all of them.

I don't care. By chance or design, most of the Marvel characters that I am following these days - Spider-Gwen, Squirrel Girl, Gwenpool - are only tangentially affected by mainstream Marvel continuity.

Sounds like a good time to cut back on some Marvel titles.

Okay, let me see if I got this straight:

1) The Red Skull convinced Kobik to alter reality so that Captain America was the Ultimate HYDRA Sleeper Agent.

2) Cap was convinced that his normal reality was a fabricated reality and his fabricated reality is his normal reality. And he believes this 100%.

3) He still believes in the Dream but it's the HYDRA Dream, not the American Dream.

4) While his world view has changed, some of his values remain intact.

5) He wanted Sam Wilson to become the new Captain America, then he made sure that the people would not accept Sam in that role and clamor for his return thus facilitating his rise to power.

6) Steve Rogers does not see himself as evil and truly thinks that the world will be a better place with HYDRA in charge.

7) The Red Skull's mistake was making Cap a HYDRA agent but not a Nazi!

6) Steve Rogers does not see himself as evil and truly thinks that the world will be a better place with HYDRA in charge.

I think most people we would consider evil think they are right and/or entitled to whatever they take. That's why they backed away from the title Brotherhood of Evil Mutants. They just wouldn't call themselves that.

I don't know if the first Civil War took place in this reality but the second one sure did. Plus we've had the Inhumans vs the X-Men. So this Cap believes that the heroes are wrong and he needs to control them or get rid of them for the safety of the world (and keeping HYDRA in power!!).

Philip Portelli said:

I don't know if the first Civil War took place in this reality but the second one sure did. Plus we've had the Inhumans vs the X-Men. So this Cap believes that the heroes are wrong and he needs to control them or get rid of them for the safety of the world (and keeping HYDRA in power!!).

I think they may have missed an opportunity here to some degree. A case could be made (not sure how strong) that Cap is in the right if he hadn't killed a number of innocent people during his takeover. Outside of that I think there may be a philosophical or political argument to be made about chaos vs order or free will vs conformity.

"That's why they backed away from the title Brotherhood of Evil Mutants. They just wouldn't call themselves that."

Don't look now but, as of last week's X-Men Gold #2, the Brotherhood has embraced the "evil" again.

Over the weekend I read Captain America #144-148 (among others), Cap thwarts Hydra take-over of U.S.A. I wonder how he "remembers" those events today...?

I like his new costume and shield (and I'm even becoming used to the "wingless" head gear), but I'm afraid it is going to become associated with his "mind control" period. I'm sure he'll get another one post-Secret Empire... propbably his old one with the wings.

It's also interesting that, for the most part, Cap has been separated from the "classic" Avengers so he doesn't have to, say, kill Clint Barton or Wanda!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2017   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service