Just bringing this discussion over to ning...

What books are you reading right now that don't have a narrative driven by images as well as words?

Views: 14717

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson. The 1963 film adaption has a very creepy feel to it, not scary but creepy.
doc photo said:
The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson. The 1963 film adaption has a very creepy feel to it, not scary but creepy.

I love both the book and the '63 film. Robert Wise captured the spirit of the book perfectly.

(The less said about the '99 film the better, of course.)
I'm re-reading Anna Karenina for the fourth time. A friend is teaching it in a lit class this fall and unintentionally inspired me to read it as well.
I've just finished The Chief Legatee, by Anna Katherine Green. I spotted the solution to the mystery early in this one.
I'm reading Usurper of the Sun, by Housuke Najiri, an interesting sci-fi "first contact" novel.
For some reason, I just felt a sudden urge to re-read My Kinsman, Major Molineux.
I love the "Twice-Told Tales."
The Timeline Of The Civil War by John D. Wright.
I am always listening to a book on tape in my car. Currently the book is Fer-De-Lance by Rex Stout.
Reading Missin', by Novala Takemoto, the author of Kamikaze Girls.
My current book on tape is Hard Eight by Janet Evanovich.
Working on Moby Dick. I know it's a classic, probably the greatest novel in American literature. But it's not an easy read, lemme tell ya.
I've just finished Fergus Hume's The Mystery of a Hansom Cab, a very successful Victorian mystery novel. This is set in Melbourne. It's rather like a Anna Katherine Green novel, but perhaps a tad less interesting.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Latest Activity

ClarkKent_DC replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Speaking of changing tastes, writer Michael L. Fleischer tried to breathe new life into this tired…"
1 hour ago
"Continuing on ... Jonah Hex graduated to his own series, titled Jonah Hex of course (March-April…"
1 hour ago
"Continuing this saga ... All-Star Western was retitled Weird Western Tales with issue #12…"
1 hour ago
"Another case of retitling but not renumbering: All-Star Western #1 (August-September 1970) Final…"
2 hours ago
The Baron replied to The Baron's discussion The List of 885 Super-Heroines
"Added Blackhawk Britannia The Choir Cutie Daiten Ladies Daiten Solaria 1 Daiten Solaria…"
2 hours ago
The Baron replied to The Baron's discussion The List of 870 Super-Heroines
"I'm not against "duplicates", per se, I've got three "Storms" onnthe…"
3 hours ago
JD DeLuzio replied to Alan M.'s discussion So, What Are You Reading These Days? (besides comics)
"Eric Choi's Just Like Being There-- Hard SF from the award-winning author and aerospace…"
4 hours ago
Travis Herrick (Modular Mod) replied to Alan M.'s discussion So, What Are You Reading These Days? (besides comics)
"They do explain why they didn't choose Sgt. Rock, though. It was also, supposed to be out…"
5 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Moving to a new volume is like losing one's virginity: once it's done, there's no…"
7 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to PowerBook Pete, the Mad Mod's discussion Anything, Everything, or Nothing At All
"I think the term "comic book industry" is an oxymoron. I always say "comic book…"
7 hours ago
Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) replied to Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod)'s discussion DC's Digital Backlist
"In Secret Society of Super-Villains 5, by Bob Rozakis, Rich Buckler, and Vince…"
7 hours ago
Dave Palmer replied to PowerBook Pete, the Mad Mod's discussion Anything, Everything, or Nothing At All
"Some perspective on the size of the comic book industry.  On the radio today I heard that in…"
8 hours ago

© 2022   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service