Just bringing this discussion over to ning...

What books are you reading right now that don't have a narrative driven by images as well as words?

Views: 8013

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Dragon Sword and Wind Child, by Noriko Ogiwara.

Here are some further anthologies of early SF stories. I'm sure many of the stories can be found on the internet, which is one of the reasons I'm posting these.

The Space Annihilator: Early Science Fiction from the Argosy, 1896-1910 ed Gene Christie (this is a recent one)

Science Fiction through the Ages 1 ed. I.O. Evans

Future Perfect: American Science Fiction of the Nineteenth Century (Revised and Expanded edition) ed H. Bruce Franklin

-This is the third edition. The second and third editions both added stories. This edition doesn't have "Was he Dead?" by Silas W. Mitchell, which appeared in the first edition, and "Mysterious Disappearances" by Ambrose Bierce and "To Whom This May Come" by Edward Bellamy, which appeared in the first and second.

The Road to Science Fiction: From Gilgamesh to Wells ed James E. Gunn

Science Fiction: Creators and Pioneers ed Arthur Liebman

Ancestral Voices: An Anthology of Early Science Fiction ed Douglas Menville and Robert Reginald

Three collections have some pre-WW1 stories, but also later works:

The Gernsback Awards Volume 1, 1926 ed Forest J. Ackerman

Isaac Asimov Presents the Best Science Fiction Firsts ed Isaac Asimov, Martin H. Greenberg and Charles G. Waugh

The Road to Science Fiction Volume 5: The British Way ed James Gunn

So far in Beyond the Gaslight I've read the following (most of these stories are very short):

Grant Allen “The Thames Valley Catastrophe”

Describes a volcanic eruption in the Thames Valley.

John Mills “The Aerial Brickfield”

An inventor devises a method of making bricks out of air.

George Griffith “A Corner in Lightning”

About a commercial plan to take control of the world’s electricity.

Fred M. White “The River of Death”

London has to do without water due to reported contamination of the Thames by plague germs.

Cutliffe-Hyne “London’s Danger”

Describes a modern day Great Fire of London.

J.M. Bacon “The Fate of the Firefly”

A small heavier-than-air flying machine accidentally takes off with a passenger on board.

Fred M. Smale “The Abduction of Alexandra Seine”

Depicts a future in which personal flying machines are common (and telepathic communications devices that work like radios).

George Griffith “From Pole to Pole”

A trio undertake an expedition through a natural giant tunnel that extends from one pole to the other.

In the edition I'm reading of Beyond the Gaslight part of "From Pole to Pole" is printed out of order. The versions of the "The River of Death" and "From Pole to Pole" at Project Gutenberg Australia vary from the versions here. (These were the only two I looked up.)

This post displaced the Silver Age Tales to Astonish/Strange Tales/Tales of Suspense thread from the front page.

I've now finished the rest of the volume. The stories are as follows:

Frank Harris “The Charlatan”

A lecturer on the secrets of nature is brought undone by his lack of faith in his real power.

Jack London “The Shadow and the Flash”

Two rivals invent different ways of making things invisible.

E. Tickner-Edwardes “The Man Who Meddled with Eternity”

A man succeeds in transferring his spirit into the body of another, whose wife he loves.

Frank T. Bullen “The Last Stand of the Decapods”

How whales displaced giant squids (here called krakens) as masters of the oceans.

Fred M. White “The Purple Terror”

A jungle killer plants story, set in Cuba.

Cutcliffe Hyne “The Lizard”

A cave explorer accidentally awakens an ancient monster.

Anonymous “Our Second Voyage to Mars”

Venus sends an expedition to Mars. Two of the explorers discuss the Martian canals with a native.

George C. Wallis “The Last Days of Earth”

In the distant future, Earth has become a frozen world due to the decline of the sun. The last man and woman leave for another solar system.

The stories are illustrated with some or all of their original illustrations. The volume also contains essays on the stories' background in the culture of the turn of the twentieth century.

Of the stories, I particularly liked "The Last Stand of the Decapods", partly for its off-beat character, and partly because I've been interested for a while in the fact that whales and giant squid apparently do fight deep in the sea. "The Thames Valley Catastrophe" is memorable for its narrator's inability to convince others that the catastrophe is underway. “The Last Days of Earth” is interesting for being more like later science fiction than most of the other stories, particularly in its depiction of future technology.

If "The Purple Death" was the first jungle killer plants story, it could be the most seminal tale in the collection; but I haven't heard that it was. The space ship in "The Last Days of Earth" might be modelled after the one in H.G. Wells's First Men in the Moon

Over the weekend I read:

Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Zombies, by Matt Mogk

The Dalek Handbook, by Steve Tribe & James Goss

The History of the World According to Facebook, by Wylie Overstreet

Subhas Chandra Bose in Nazi Germany, by Romain Hayes

I finished Marc Spitz' biography of Mick Jagger and now it's on to the third book in the Star Wars: Legacy of the Force series. 

I just started Dead Men's Boots, the third book in Mike Carey's series about exorcist Felix Castor. I really enjoyed the first two, then lost track of the series. I see that five books have been published in the UK, but we're only up to four here in the US (I put in a purchase request for the fourth one at my library).

@Mark: I'm sure you'll get a lot out of the class. But I'm not sure any book can deliver on $200!

Now reading the sequel:  Mirror Sword and Shadow Prince

The Baron said:

Dragon Sword and Wind Child, by Noriko Ogiwara.

...I am now reading/have bought-read recently.........

KALKI , by Gore Vidal .

THE RAINMAKER , by N. Richard Nash .

Another play , A SEVERED HEAD , by J. B. Priestly and Iris Murdoch , in a 60s U.K// Pan mmpb tiled " Plays Of The Sixties " .

FRIEND OF MY YOUTH , by Alice Munro .

" KRAZY KAT   The Comic Art Of George Herriman " , a kompilation of the klassik King ( Okay !!!!!!! ), um , it has text by other folks as well as much kom- ( I slipped !!!!! ) full by George! , so Ilisted it here .

A 2001 Lonely Planet guide to Wales .

The novelization of the first X-FILES feature , which I bought think that it was of the second one .

Did I mention this 1970 Whitman juvenile mystery ( : SADDLE JUSTICE " ) and this First Little Golden Book ( " TTHE FUZZY DUCKLING " ) ?

I buy a fair amount of magazines - a ( Fashion Issue ) The New Yorker , the last coupla Vanity Fairs , the Fiction Issue of " The Atlantic " , and an issue of the ( London ) TIMES LITERARY SUPPLEMENT that inspired me to seek out Munro's book , for some .

Today I finally got my library copy of Grant Morrison's Supergods. I'm not sure if this actually counts as non-comics reading! Well, there aren't many illustrations, so I guess it qualifies. Just got through the Introduction and part of the first chapter, too early to get much of an impression.
Freaky Deaky by Elmore Leonard. This one is about some former '60s radicals now looking to make a big score. With a cop making some trouble. Pretty good, and I do have to remember that it takes place in the 80s since these are people in their 30s who were at Woodstock.
Professor Moriarty: The Hound of the D'Urbervilles, by Kim Newman

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2017   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service