Just bringing this discussion over to ning...

What books are you reading right now that don't have a narrative driven by images as well as words?

Views: 13315

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

...I mentioned A Streetcar Named Desire...I also bought , from the same Santa Cruz Library 50c paperbacks , a movie edition TPB of Patrick O'Brian's MASTER AND COMMANDER...which , I'm afraid , though it started out well , is completely MEGO-ing me with an overload of technical and physical description of a British Navy brig of 1800 ! PAGES and pages and pages ! I could see where someone who really liked this could really get off on that , and I suppose " it adds historical veracity " , but...If I make it through this ( my 50c worth ) I rather doubt I'll read the other 19 installments .

Bsically , I was looking for flogging scenes anyway ( Am I joking ? ) !

I don't think I've read a book with more uses of the "n" word than this book, but it does take place in East Texas during the Depression, so it is probably pretty accurate. A good little crime novel.

Travis Herrick said:
Sunset and Sawdust by Joe R. Lansdale. About a page and a half in I was simile and metaphored out. Not everything is "like" something. Sometimes rain is just rain
...Was it in Rick Perry's library ?????!!!!!! Okayokayokay , CHEAP SHOT ( Kaboom ! Clang ! ) ! My mother' came from East Texas as well...
I've now read Dion Boucicault, The Phantom. This is a melodrama on a horror theme in two acts, which premiered (in the US) in 1856. The text can be found at Internet Archive.

Reportedly The Phantom was a shortened version of Boucicault's 1852 play The Vampire. Boucicault played the title role in both versions. I found the later version a quick and enjoyable read. In addition to horror the play has a comic relief element, but it recedes as the play progresses. Spoilers follow.

The first act of The Phantom is set in the aftermath of English Civil War, and the second in the early 19th century. The vampire is vulnerable to being killed by a bullet in the heart, but can be revived by moonlight. In the second act the Vampire exerts a mesmeric control over a young woman. To get blood he slashes open the throats of his victims with a knife. In the version I read the climax takes place high up on Mt Snowdon.

I've previously encountered a vampire's being revived by moonlight after being shot in Varney the Vampyre, which first appeared in 1845-47. I listened to the first part of the librivox.org version of this, but not the second and third. Reportedly, in some parts of Varney Varney is clearly a vampire; in others it's implied he's a mortal man pretending to be a vampire. Varney is first shot and moonlight-revived as part of the novel's opening sequence. When it happens again later the narrator explains the death and resurrection as faked. I've wondered if the explanation of the novel's inconsistency about Varney is that it had more than one author.

Basic Copper in The Vampire in Legend, Fact and Art represents Boucicault's work (he doesn't note the differences between the two versions) as a dramatisation of John Polidori's story The Vampyre. This isn't correct, although I think The Phantom does owe a debt to it (the vampire intends to marry the young woman he controls so he can drink her blood).

I just started ERB's "Princess of Mars." Boy, it's a lot better written than the first Tarzan book.
Spook Country by William Gibson. I started reading this once before but got derailed when I got a James Ellroy novel. I'm further now than I was then, but I'm still not sure where it is going.
THE BUNNY YEARS (The Surprising Inside Story of the Playboy Clubs: The Women Who Worked as Bunnies, and Where they Are Now)

Yes, I was inspired to read this by the quickly-cancelled TV drama The Playboy Club. Even my wife (who minored in Women’s Studies in college) is enjoying it.

I've just started reading Beyond the Gaslight ed. Hilary and Dik Evans, an anthology of SF stories from just before and after the turn of the 20th century. Here's a list of the collections of 19th/early 20th century SF that I know about. At the linked pages, click on the titles of the collections for their contents.

Beyond the Gaslight ed Hilary and Dik Evans

Before Armageddon ed Michael Moorcock

England Invaded ed Michael Moorcock

Science Fiction by Gaslight ed Sam Moskowitz

Science Fiction by the Rivals of H.G. Wells ed Alan K. Russell

I'm on to the third book of the Hunger Games trilogy, Mockingjay.
Dragon Sword and Wind Child, by Noriko Ogiwara.

Here are some further anthologies of early SF stories. I'm sure many of the stories can be found on the internet, which is one of the reasons I'm posting these.

The Space Annihilator: Early Science Fiction from the Argosy, 1896-1910 ed Gene Christie (this is a recent one)

Science Fiction through the Ages 1 ed. I.O. Evans

Future Perfect: American Science Fiction of the Nineteenth Century (Revised and Expanded edition) ed H. Bruce Franklin

-This is the third edition. The second and third editions both added stories. This edition doesn't have "Was he Dead?" by Silas W. Mitchell, which appeared in the first edition, and "Mysterious Disappearances" by Ambrose Bierce and "To Whom This May Come" by Edward Bellamy, which appeared in the first and second.

The Road to Science Fiction: From Gilgamesh to Wells ed James E. Gunn

Science Fiction: Creators and Pioneers ed Arthur Liebman

Ancestral Voices: An Anthology of Early Science Fiction ed Douglas Menville and Robert Reginald

Three collections have some pre-WW1 stories, but also later works:

The Gernsback Awards Volume 1, 1926 ed Forest J. Ackerman

Isaac Asimov Presents the Best Science Fiction Firsts ed Isaac Asimov, Martin H. Greenberg and Charles G. Waugh

The Road to Science Fiction Volume 5: The British Way ed James Gunn

So far in Beyond the Gaslight I've read the following (most of these stories are very short):

Grant Allen “The Thames Valley Catastrophe”

Describes a volcanic eruption in the Thames Valley.

John Mills “The Aerial Brickfield”

An inventor devises a method of making bricks out of air.

George Griffith “A Corner in Lightning”

About a commercial plan to take control of the world’s electricity.

Fred M. White “The River of Death”

London has to do without water due to reported contamination of the Thames by plague germs.

Cutliffe-Hyne “London’s Danger”

Describes a modern day Great Fire of London.

J.M. Bacon “The Fate of the Firefly”

A small heavier-than-air flying machine accidentally takes off with a passenger on board.

Fred M. Smale “The Abduction of Alexandra Seine”

Depicts a future in which personal flying machines are common (and telepathic communications devices that work like radios).

George Griffith “From Pole to Pole”

A trio undertake an expedition through a natural giant tunnel that extends from one pole to the other.

In the edition I'm reading of Beyond the Gaslight part of "From Pole to Pole" is printed out of order. The versions of the "The River of Death" and "From Pole to Pole" at Project Gutenberg Australia vary from the versions here. (These were the only two I looked up.)

This post displaced the Silver Age Tales to Astonish/Strange Tales/Tales of Suspense thread from the front page.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2022   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service