Just bringing this discussion over to ning...

What books are you reading right now that don't have a narrative driven by images as well as words?

Views: 7556

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You were probably sending coded messages to me in the future.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

LOVE & WAR: I started reading this Seventh Doctor “New Adventure” paperback last night but I may not finish it.

If you do finish it, I'll be curious to see what you think of the ending.

I might finish it after I listen to the audio, just for comparison's sake.

The reason I may not finish it is to avoid "spoilers" for the audio.

That's not the way it usually works, but the audio's the "thing" in this case.

I'll explain why when I post about it.

The audio will likely have the same (or similar) ending.

ASTROPHYSICS FOR PEOPLE IN A HURRY: I took a roundtrip flight to St. Louise last week, just about the perfect amount of time to read Neil DeGrasse Tyson’s latest. He has a warm and friendly writing style, and he explains difficult concepts so the layman (i.e., me) can understand. Also, his personal philosophy ties it all together in an entertaining manner.

I had free access to Starz for a few days, so I watched the first season of American Gods (eight episodes, going up to the meeting at the House on the Rock, preparing for war). Enjoyed it very much, and it reminded me that I had the 10th Anniversary edition of the book on my Kindle, so this was a good time to reread it.

It's been a long time since I read it, so I don't have any sense of what deleted material has been restored to what I've read so far (if any). I can say that the TV adaptation tracks the book pretty closely.

New York 2140 by Kim Stanley Robinson.

I'm about halfway through.Parts of this book are brilliant, but Robinson is starting to resemble Dan Simmons-- but with completely different political biases, of course. That is, both wrote groundbreaking classics of contemporary SF, both are overtly political, and both have gone on to put out lengthy books that would benefit significantly from a good editor.

Nisemonogatari Fake Tale Part 01, by Nisioisin

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2017   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service