Just bringing this discussion over to ning...

What books are you reading right now that don't have a narrative driven by images as well as words?

Views: 12464

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Jane Austen's England - Daily Life in the Georgian and Regency Periods, by Roy & Lesley Adkins

I just finished up With The Old Breed: At Peleliu and Okinawa by E.B. Sledge. One of the most powerful books I've read. A first-hand account from a Marine mortarman in Pacific theater of WWII. A terrific read.

I just started Lone Star Noir which is an anthology of crime short stories set in Texas. There is a whole series of these books that I have to check out. Including international books like Dublin Noir and Istanbul Noir.

Luke Blanchard said:

On p.73 I posted about some late Victorian and early 20th century mummy stories I've read. There's an article on the genre here.

Further items are mentioned on this page and in a message board list here, The former sent me looking for an etext of Ambrose Pratt's The Living Mummy (1910), but I haven't been able to find one. This page has background information on the 1932 film The Mummy.

Having another shot at reading Don Quixote.

I started Don DeLillo's novel Underworld. I've been carrying it around on my Kindle Fire for months, and a week at the beach seemed like a good time to try it. I realize it's not most people's idea of beach reading! I've read several Goodreads reviews from people who got several hundred pages into it and gave up. 

I just finished I, Lucifer by Peter O'Donnell, the third Modesty Blaise novel. The Blaise novels are somewhat like the Fleming Bond ones, but a bit more fanciful.

This post displaced the thread The Baron Watches Seven "World War Three" Movies (SPOILERS Possible!) from the home page.

I recently finished Dennis Wheatley's heroes vs Satanists novel The Devil Rides Out. It has a lot in common with British thrillers of its period: you have a group of friends acting apart from the law to stop a dangerous conspiracy. The best sequence is the bit with the supernatural manifestations during the pentacle scene.

Since Halloween is coming up I thought I might read some more horror. What classics would you gents recommend? I've read Dracula (and incidentally recommend Bram Stoker's short stories, especially "The Dualists").

Either 'Salem's Lot or It by Stephen King. If you aren't a fan of his you will be by the end of the book.

The Spear by James Herbert.

Thanks, Richard. My local library system has both of those (an audiobook of the latter). I've not read Herbert's work, but I have a copy of The Rats. I've read a short story of King's, but none of his novels.

Any other suggestions?

Sorry, Luke. No recommendations from me. I've never been a big horror fan, and what little I've read I didn't like.

It's not really my genre either, but I think I've long had an interest in monsters. Most of the horror that interests me, such as Universal horror movies, isn't actually scary. Apparently it once was, though.

I should clarify I'm talking prose here. The past few years I've come around on horror comics. Like other genres if they are done well, I do enjoy them.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service