I picked up the first issue of Steve Rogers Captain America today out of curiosity and I have to say it completely caught me off guard.

I generally have a pretty high tolerance for hype, gimmicks, and attempts to stir up controversey or get attention. I can understand it to a certain degree. The comic book marketplace has gone through some massive changes over the years and it's tough to create enough of a buzz to get readers to take notice. But despite all of that, I just thought this story was ridiculous.

SPOILER WARNING

The twist here is that Steve Rogers is, and always was, a Hydra agent going back to his childhood. It's apparently not a hoax, or a trick, or mind control or anything else. We even get flashbacks from Steve's childhood to further convince us. And Tom Brevoort has said that it's not a trick or imaginary story.  For some reason, I've finally reached my exhaustion point with this stuff. Not that I'm angry or upset or anything. I'm just having trouble finding a reason to stay invested. And I feel like, if this turns out to be true, it does irreparable harm to the character. Cap is maybe the one Marvel character that you just can't do this type of thing with because his one defining quality was his unassailable character. And additionally, even if it turns out to be a misdirect, the whole thing just reeks of desperation and shortsightedness.

Views: 1632

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

In SR:CA #1 he said something about being a member of the Guardians of the Galaxy, but Free Spirit jokingly accused him of lying about it, so I wasn't sure. I find that I don't mind the lack of footnotes as much as I used to; character timelines are easy enough to look up on the internet. I didn't look into theirs, but I have recently traced Maria Hill and Nick Fury, Jr.'s.

Cap was sold out in my store, so it looks like it'll be another week or so before I can read the story, unless I want to go digital. 

I still have things I want to say about #1. I stated above how well-written I think the issue is. Setting aside what we all think we saw happen at the end, let’s break it down in terms of scenes and character interaction. There was lots of action, from the hijacked train at the beginning to the rescue attempt at the end. We got an in-depth look at the suicide hijacker. We were introduced (or re-introduced) to Free Spirit and Jack Flag, then later saw them interact with Rick Jones.

One of my favorite scenes was the one between Maria Hill and Sharon Carter, two strong women who just don’t like each other. Then Steve Rogers was thrown into that mix, and later we saw Sharon ad Steve by themselves. I think Carter and Hill are two truly strong women characters, not merely Claremont style “why can’t this character be a woman?” style strong, a rarity in [mainstream superhero] comics.

We get to see two very different kinds of Villains in Baron Zemo and the Red Skull. We might expect them to be allies, yet they are rivals. The most chilling part of the issue, for me, was the Red Skull’s recruitment speech, not because it was true, but because it was true to life. No names were mentioned, but the real life counterparts are unmistakable. [*cough*Trump*cough*] I can easily see Cliven Bundy and his sons swallowing the Skull’s “truths” hook, line, sinker, rod and reel.

I can’t wait for #2 to see what happens next.

Yeah, I noticed that the Skull's speech was "ripped from the headlines." Which is what made it chilling.

From the sound of it marvel wanted the anger and interest but naively didn't expect the level they got.  That amazes me considering how much controversy they've been courting over the past few years.  I can't think of a major storyline that wasn't at least partly designed to get the anger going, from making Thor unworthy, to making Iceman gay, and with every storyline they express surprise at the response.

In our country that is submerged in pure fury -so much so that I really doubt we'll make it through the next few years intact- pouring some more oil onto the fire shouldn't bring surprise when the extreme blows up.

But as usual I'm probably wrong about everything.

ClarkKent_DC said:

That's a worse reaction from the public than they got when he was assassinated.

As to the speech made by the Red Skull, Spencer stated he is bringing in what is his adoption of modern terror tactics. 

I think this will be a huge part of this story.  I can see how Steve Rogers holds a twisted view of the world that looks more like some terrorist. 

Richard Willis said:

That's a worse reaction from the public than they got when he was assassinated.

Yeah it's pretty ridiculous. I prefer not to think of it as "the public" though. I want to believe that it's just a very small, very loud group of jackasses who can't distinguish reality from a fictional story about men in tights.

I think I'll write about this this week. What other terrible things have they done to Cap? Off the top of my head, they brainwashed him into being a Nazi in the Suspense days, he was assassinated after Civil War, he was sent to Dimension Z for 10(?) years, he was turned into Capwolf, he's been turned into an old man at least twice (I'd have to look the first one up) ... what else?

He was "fired" a couple of times and was made to seem irrelevant on certain occasions.

Even in the movies, he was never as "cool" as Tony Stark!

Captain Comics said:

I think I'll write about this this week. What other terrible things have they done to Cap? Off the top of my head, they brainwashed him into being a Nazi in the Suspense days, he was assassinated after Civil War, he was sent to Dimension Z for 10(?) years, he was turned into Capwolf, he's been turned into an old man at least twice (I'd have to look the first one up) ... what else?

Didn't Englehart have him lose faith in his country or something to that effect?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service