From Variety.com:

MARCH 6, 2015 | 01:00PM PT
Elizabeth Wagmeister
@EWagmeister

“Supergirl” has finally arrived.

The first photos of Melissa Benoist as Supergirl were released Friday, just as production begins on the CBS pilot, which is based on characters from DC Comics.

The costume (pictured) was designed by three-time Oscar winner Colleen Atwood, who also designed the suits for two other DC Comics television properties, “The Flash” and “Arrow” of the CW.

Atwood, who’s been nominated for Academy Awards an additional eight times, was also the costume designer behind “Into the Woods,” “Snow White and the Huntsman,” “Alice in Wonderland,” “Memoirs of a Geisha” and “Chicago,” among others.

“Supergirl,” in contention for the 2015-16 season, follows Kara Danvers/Kara Zor-El (Benoist, “Glee,” “Whiplash”), Superman’s cousin, at age 24, when she decides to embrace her superhuman abilities and be the hero she was always meant to be, after leaving Krypton and hiding her powers.

Other series regulars include Calista Flockhart (“Ally McBeal,” “Brothers & Sisters”), who will play Kara’s tough boss at CatCo, Cat Grant; Mehcad Brooks (“Desparate Housewives,” “True Blood”), who will co-star as Kara’s love interest, Jimmy Olsen; Chyler Leigh (“Grey’s Anatomy”), who’s been cast as Kara’s doctor sister, Alex Danvers; and David Harewood (“Homeland”), as supervillain Hank Henshaw, better known as Cyborg Superman in the DC Comics world.

Laura Benanti will appear in a major recurring arc, playing Kara’s birth mother, Alura Zor-El.

Helen Slater, who starred in the 1984 “Supergirl” feature, and Superman vet Dean Cain (“Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman”) are set for secret roles.

The project hails from exec producers and writers Greg Berlanti (“The Flash,” “Arrow”), Ali Adler and Andrew Kreisberg. Sarah Schechter will also serve as an exec producer, and Glen Winter will direct the pilot. Berlanti Productions and Warner Bros. Television will produce.

Views: 6417

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Apparently Superman's lack of presence in the series will be dealt with to an extent in episode 3. 

And yeah, blaming Kara for the criminals landing on Earth is petty and childish. And how does the DEO know so much about the Phantom Zone and what was going on in deep space? I guess they might have pieced together info from sensors on Kara's ship, but they presented all that information as if they'd been told by the showrunner.

Mr. Silver Age said:

The DEO laying the blame is tenuous; Kara *accepting* the blame is a bit much. I realize she's not confident and feels guilty about various things, but that's a stretch. She was comatose and along for the ride--as a 13 year old!

Maybe they thought she was texting while driving.

As usual with individual heroes who take on world-destroying villains in the comics, it's hard to justify why other super-heroes don't help out.

In the Supergirl TV universe I think the only other hero is Superman. I would hold my breath expecting a Flash/Arrow crossover.

I just finished watching the Supergirl pilot. Some thoughts:

• The older I get, the more I realize how casting is crucial to the success of these endavors. They've got it right with Melissa Benoist in Supergirl. Plucky, charming, geeky, a little nervous and unsure, but able to rise to the occasion. Callista Flockhart as Cat Grant was spot-on, at least for me. Mechad Brooks isn't Jimmy Olsen -- he's tall, studly, charming, bald, and, oh yeah, Black -- no, he most definitely is NOT Jimmy Olsen, but I'll learn to get over that.
  • Kara's buddy, the IT guy -- HE's the Jimmy Olsen.
  • I dare not ask how the IT guy got indestructible fabrics to make the costume.
  • That said ... is it my imagination, or was Kara taller when she wore the costume? It certainly seemed so when she was with her sister. who is rather tall. (Her I remember from Gray's Anatomy.) 
  • With all the palm trees, I gather that National City is in California. Especially when I also saw cars with California license plates (a bit careless, that), not to mention that the office building housing Cat Grant's company is the same one that held the offices of McKenzie, Brackman, Chaney and Kuzak in L.A. Law
  • I get that Kara/Supergirl needs villains so she isn't just stumbling upon bank robberies each week, but a whole prison from the Phantom Zone? I would think that many Kryptonians could overrun the Earth's defenses by lunchtime.

What keeps them from working together instead of just lining up to fight Supergirl one on one?

I dare not ask how the IT guy got indestructible fabrics to make the costume.

I assume it's the Byrne concept that the closeness of the costume to her body protects it, leaving the fluttering cape vulnerable. They didn't make that too clear, even though bullets were bouncing off her without a problem except for the cape. The fact that she got a super-material expressly for her cape seems to indicate that's the deal.

is it my imagination, or was Kara taller when she wore the costume?

I didn't really notice it, but her boots could have lifts, just as an additional identity-hiding thing. It could be either deliberately by Kara or just as a TV-costume thing to give Supergirl more stature.

a whole prison from the Phantom Zone? I would think that many Kryptonians could overrun the Earth's defenses by lunchtime.

As I said, I may have only inferred that the Phantom Zone was a Kryptonian holding pen; it may have been an homage that just confused things. The PZ could be a cosmic sector, and the prison ship was an interplanetary deal that may not hold any Kryptonians. Krypton wouldn't need to create a prison ship if they could just send criminals to the PZ.

Even so, the rest of those Evil Plotters were Kryptonians, as will be Non, which means the air space over Krypton as it blew up was pretty crowded, as usual.

-- MSA

Ron M. said:

What keeps them from working together instead of just lining up to fight Supergirl one on one?

Writer's fiat?

The in-story reason, I think, is that they want to wipe her out before they get her cousin's attention.

Mr. Silver Age said:

I assume it's the Byrne concept that the closeness of the costume to her body protects it, leaving the fluttering cape vulnerable. They didn't make that too clear, even though bullets were bouncing off her without a problem except for the cape. The fact that she got a super-material expressly for her cape seems to indicate that's the deal.

The Byrne Superman is not very familiar to me, but this sounds a lot like the Silver Age Flash's protective aura. They may have intended to explain that in the show and had to cut it for time.

I didn't really notice it, but her boots could have lifts, just as an additional identity-hiding thing.

I didn't notice it either. I wonder if/when they will address her secret identity, having no mask like her cousin? Of course she has an army of people to help her conceal it (James, the IT guy, her sister and all of the DEO). So many people know, how can it possibly stay secret?

I watched it last night and again this evening with The Lad, and I smiled all the way thru both times. That's what I wanted from this show, that it make me smile. Also, that The Lad would like it. Mission accomplished.

I'm with CK -- Melissa Benoist is wonderfully cast. She's just adorable.

Also -- and this may just be me being way too geeky -- but the "from the North" line and the use of Trap One as a call sign makes me think there's a Doctor Who fan in the Writers' Room.

Ron M. said:

Richard Willis said:

Writer's fiat?

The in-story reason, I think, is that they want to wipe her out before they get her cousin's attention.

Wouldn't they have better success at wiping Supergirl out if they did work together instead of just lining up to fight her one on one?

Maybe attacking her all at once would attract more attention than trying one at a time to pick her off?  Maybe none of them want to share the credit for the kill?  Maybe they can't attack together until they manage to get some sharks with lasers on their heads?  Maybe they all belong to F.I.A.T. (the Federation of Independently Attacking Terrorists)?

Another quibble is that the "kryptonite bullet" shouldn't have been able to pierce her skin because she's invulnerable (which I'm sure Adam Benson would point out . . . .

Correct!

. . . if he watched the show, which I doubt).

Correct, again!

Perceptive fellow, that Jeff of Earth-J.

But they also said that they had Kara's pod which could have given them kryptonian metal to reform into darts. Somehow!
Commander Benson said:

Another quibble is that the "kryptonite bullet" shouldn't have been able to pierce her skin because she's invulnerable (which I'm sure Adam Benson would point out . . . .

Correct!

. . . if he watched the show, which I doubt).

Correct, again!

Perceptive fellow, that Jeff of Earth-J.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Latest Activity

Luke Blanchard replied to Captain Comics's discussion Bond #5: 'From Russia, with Love'
"The underground lake in the movie is a cistern. Istanbul has some number of historic cisterns. (The…"
1 hour ago
Richard Willis replied to Captain Comics's discussion Peter David suffers series of strokes
"Today's Update:by Kathleen David, Beneficiary OK I have an update but not the kind that…"
1 hour ago
Richard Willis replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
2 hours ago
Richard Willis replied to Emerkeith Davyjack's discussion All-purpose newspaper strips discussion
"Mark Trail honors Southern California's favorite celebrity  He actually traveled to…"
2 hours ago
Travis Herrick (Modular Mod) replied to Alan M.'s discussion So, What Are You Reading These Days? (besides comics)
"Currently reading Jack of Spies by David Downing. This takes place before WWI, and Jack McColl is a…"
6 hours ago
Travis Herrick (Modular Mod) replied to Captain Comics's discussion Comics Guide: Feb. 6-12, 2023
"BLOOD STAINED TEETH #9 LITTLE MONSTERS #10 - Two good, but very different vampire books by…"
7 hours ago
Irma Kruhl replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Issue #3 of  Doctor Tom Brent, Young Intern "
8 hours ago
Mickey McLaurin replied to Peter Wrexham's discussion Celebrity Mastermind - "The History of DC Comics"
"2 and 5 were the only ones I didn't know.  Having read the Batman story multiple times,…"
8 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion To be... HULK-inued!
"#105: You hear a shot! "UNNHHH! I'm hit... just as I finished changing! But... I…"
11 hours ago
Captain Comics replied to Captain Comics's discussion Bond #5: 'From Russia, with Love'
"I'm so confused! I made sure to watch Dr. No, From Russia With…"
11 hours ago
Captain Comics replied to Captain Comics's discussion Comics Guide: Feb. 6-12, 2023
"Or the draugr!"
11 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Captain Comics's discussion Comics Guide: Feb. 6-12, 2023
"I've wanted to read this, but if the publisher doesn't think enough of it to publish a…"
12 hours ago

© 2023   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service