I have decided to post this final item after replies I've received about some of my own posts - most recently from Dagwan, on the "Thor material published 2009-2011" and "Fear Itself."

My great sorrow is seeing things happening on this board that I wouldn't have countenanced when I was Admin... ah, but we all know that what's done is what's done, and "shut up and get out" was the order of the day.

Regarding my comments and Dagwan's:

Interesting that I haven't heard from any of the admins yet... well, except for Dagwan, of course.  (Still an admin, Dags?  I know that when I was leader of the band, we extended you an invite.)

ELS (from Fear Itself thread):  Another summer crossover event, to go with Avengers books crossing over into Avengers books, FF crossing into Spider-Man (at least), Spider Island, and all these books requiring mini-series...  Wow, I am SO glad I'm not collecting this crap anymore.  And from the look of the posted panels above, I'm obviously not cool enough to get them anyhow.  Good luck to Marvel Comics, the house of idea.

Dagwan:  You went out of your way to post in a thread about Fear Itself that you're not reading it, and that it's crap. If you want to read something and don't like it, that's fine. Post about how you didn't enjoy it. What didn't work for you. Calling something that others on this board enjoyed quite a bit crap -especially sight unseen- is not just a judgment on the comic but on the opinions of the other members of the board who did like it.

You're right.  I DID go out of my way to post something, because I didn't have to come to the Captain Comics board, didn't have to read that posting, and didn't have to comment on it.  Same as anyone else who posts anything on this board.

But so we get our facts straight:  I wasn't criticizing Fear Itself as I haven't read it (which you very accurately noted.)  And I criticized Spider Island, and the FF/Spider-Man crossover, and Marvel's general concept of company wide crossovers - which you obviously didn't infer.  Okay, that happens.  I was criticizing the trend of mini-series, and crossing  through several issues of several titles, requiring readers to pick them up as well. I have said the same thing about Secret Invasion, Seige, that Avengers junk, etc.  Shucks, I wasn't all that fond of it back in Secret Wars (and, to be fair, not so hot on it in Crisis on Infinite Earths either.)

As to the opinions of those who did like it - what, is it the rule now to not upset the sensibilities of other posters by disagreeing with them?  Then shame on me.

Dagwan:  On a related note, do you have anything nice to say about any comics anymore?

This was in response to a comic which I think would have failed the standards of a lot of comic book companies, and I thought I gave the reason - characters out of sync with the current continuity (and damn ME for a fool for expecting continuity, right?), art that I really think is little better than high school level... y'know, a critical observation instead of "It sucks because I say it sucks!"  But again, you might not have gotten that - it happens, and although not everyone is happy and pleased with comics today, it seems to be the mandate on this board anymore.

Is this mean?  Some people might think it's mean, and some people - like, y'know, those who used to post on these boards - consider it discussion.  I was posting strongly about it because I feel strongly about it... my opinion, and it used to be implicit that that included " YMMV".  But I guess Dagwan didn't get that - okay, that happens.

I could go on, but this is obviously a comment on my postings, and, I think, a comment on my presence on the board from Dagwan and, implicitly (even by their silence) from the Admins.  What I think, due to whatever is going on with me, is what I think, and people used to be able to post such around here.

Instead, when I asked for what I thought was a reasonable action - if you think I've gone over the line, get the Admins to contact me about it, and if it really upsets you, please ignore it - got a biting, sarcastic reply, and a "don't tell us, go tell the comic book publishers, and stop whining."

Nice.  I probably wasn't going to be able to post here for a lot longer anyhow, but this does make it a little easier to decide.

So, after everything that has happened to me on this board - Dagwan's comments, the Administrator crap, etc. etc. etc., I will go away with one last comment for the admins.

Good riddance to every last one of you.

I remain,

VERY disappointendly,

Eric L. Sofer

The Silver Age Fogey

x<]:o){

Views: 603

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Commander Benson said: "All I can say is---it's a good thing I never wrote an article on Black & Decker."

A thread for posting pictures of Wonder Woman in bondage (facetiously suggested by Detective 445) would probably draw lots of traffic, too.

I think the crux of Mark's contention is that he takes a lack of response for a lack of interest. So he goes over his points to spark some discussion and when nothing happens believes that no one is listening to him. Or everyone is disagreeing with him and not bothering to say why. I've had posts with no responses. We all have. Except for Commander Benson, SIR! :-)

No one should feel voiceless. On the old CBGxtra site, you could see how many people read your post even if no one replied. The majority of members here seem content not to post or reply. That is their right, of course but it would be neat to see how many are reading the different posts. I read most of the posts depending on who wrote them and I have great respect for those who so freely give their views so eloquently.

So what I'm saying, agree or disagree, no one has the final correct opinion and everyone should have their say!

No one should feel voiceless. On the old CBGxtra site, you could see how many people read your post even if no one replied. The majority of members here seem content not to post or reply. That is their right, of course but it would be neat to see how many are reading the different posts. I read most of the posts depending on who wrote them and I have great respect for those who so freely give their views so eloquently.

You could do that at the old Cave board as well, which I found nice as well. No one may have anything to say about my diatribe  on Captain Mucus, but I knew people were looking at it. Then again some people got irked when they spent hours one some comic they had read and saw the thread only got 2 views...

Detective 445 said: "That's wonderful!  It's nice to know that people have a place to go and explore any interest and/or disturbing obsession they may have. ... Hooray for the internet!"

As I recall, the old Capt. Comics board had a thread on the most obscene-sounding comic book titles. The winners were:

1. "Giant-Size Man-Thing" (of course)

2. "Marvel Two-In-One"

3. "Marvel Triple Action"

4. "Jungle Action"

Maybe it's time to revive that thread! ;)

The Golden Age Wonder Woman tales were filled with bondage, restraints, slavery, mental domination,torture and of course the Amazon philosophy of "submitting to loving authority". Her Amazonium bracelets were originally known as her bracelets of submission. Being in control was a major theme in her stories. She had a magic lasso that allowed her to command anyone encircled by it. Plus her creator, William Moulton Marston had a, shall we say, unique home life!

You can't have a meaningful discussion on the early days of WW without bringing the subject up. It was that prevalent! So much so that DC had to jettison most of it during the Post Golden Age era, including one story that mentioned Wonder Woman's FATHER!!

OK...I think we've all made some points on many fronts...maybe we should move on to other threads and topics...

I'm not obsessed with it either nor am I planning on starting a thread about it, but not wanting it to be even mentioned it is not an option if anyone is writing anything about the Golden Age Wonder Woman. That aspect is there and it won't ever not be there. That would be like not mentioning that Batman carried a gun and killed people in his first year. It's historical fact despite objections to it. DC put out the Wonder Woman Archives. Should they have editted out any scenes that implied and flat out showed anything prurient? The GA WW comics are what they are. You may not approve of them but you can't pretend they don't exist.

And that's my last thought on the subject.

"Plus her creator, William Moulton Marston had a, shall we say, unique home life!"

Yes, he had his wife and mistress under the same roof. And fathered children with both. I don't think such a feat was repeated until John Edwards came along.

OK, as Doc Beechler said, it's time to move on. This thread has gone on for 9 pages and has gotten WAY off topic. But it's been fun!

Mark S. Ogilvie said:

If I am doing this I am not aware of it.  Nor am I trying to make people come around to my point of view, my point was that I was trying to find the fight argument at the time that would allow people to see it from my point of view.  Not make them agree with me, nor do I use psychological scamming to gain sympathy.  I do not expect everyone to agree with me but I did get the impression that no one was listening.  Or that if they were listening it was with the attitude of an adult toward a child throwing a tantrum.  There were other elements in my life at the time contributing to my frustration.  Comics were the only bright spot I had left.  If I did push people away I'm sorry.

Mark

No, Mark -- no. You do try to MAKE everyone agree with you. It isn't enough for you that some people agree with you. I pointed out that some people did, in fact, agree with you on various aspects of "Civil War" -- I was there, and you were too, and we both know people backed you up many a time on what you were saying -- and you still went into a rant immediately after about how you weren't being heard, shouting to an "empty room." The room was not empty and there were people who did hear you. You ought to listen to other people as much as you want other people to listen to you. You might hear that some of them are on your side.

And some of the people who disagree with you did -- and do -- see your point of view. Finding the right argument that would allow people to see it from your point of view isn't always the problem; people can see your point of view and still disagree with your position and/or your conclusions. You don't seem to be able to understand that.

I appreciate that you've learned to apply some care and judgment to what you post, and that's what is needed. 
Philip Portelli said:

You can't have a meaningful discussion on the early days of WW without bringing the subject up. It was that prevalent! So much so that DC had to jettison most of it during the Post Golden Age era, including one story that mentioned Wonder Woman's FATHER!!

What? Wonder Woman has a FATHER? I've never heard about that!

Details, please!
I'm afraid that I don't have much but I read that one of the Wonder Girl (teenage Wonder Woman) stories in the 60s had her mention her father who was lost at sea. I'll have to go through the Showcase Presents Wonder Woman volumes to see if it's there but this story does exist!
No this was young Diana growing up on Paradise Island.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service