What it said .

Early reviews of Johnny's newie that I've seen have NOT been good , with the San Francisco Chronicle's Mick LaSalle giving it that paper's equivalent of zero stars.........

Views: 1217

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I loved and hated the movie.

I loved the visuals. I loved the action scenes. I liked the framing sequences. I enjoyed Depp as Tonto. Hammer looked good as LR.

I hated how LR was basically turned into a dolt. I wasn't slightly intrigued by the weird supernatural stuff with the Wendigo and cannibal villain. It just didn't fit. I wished more time was spent establishing the basics of the LR legend. I really hated the idiocy they did with Sliver the horse.

What I wanted was a confident, skilled LR and little less comedy at the expense of LR. I also wanted a lot more recognizable classical music for other action scenes instead of Zimmer's own creations. I don't mind him adapting old music, as he did in the climax.

...Okay , the point of that finisher was to refer to the several point in the Christian Bible (I don't  really know the difference of the Hebrew Bible/Torah .) where the , IIRC Mosaic law , " If the brother who is married dies , younger brother marries the spouse " is referred .

Emerkeith Davyjack said:

...Yeah , MSA , considering that my Thursday night seeing of it - at the end of its 3d week now in a 78-80 seat auditorium , with about 8 (including moi) paying cudtomers , all male , 2 a father/chaild duo , the papa wearing thong sandals...

As for the Ranger's love interest , after all , we are told they everybody was a STRONG Bible reader back then !!!!!!!!!!!

...Were there any kind of comics/other forms spin-offs of the new movie , BTW ?

...Repeat .

I saw the DVD advertised , in the Sunday paper's supplement ads .
   Even given the movie's perceived floppo...Could , just as with the 80s-era LEGEND LR film (that was so hated by Fandom Assembled) leading to a new Filmation series , could there be a new series somehow sold - to someone - by , is it Dreamworks actually who owns the Ranger now (IIRC , a company called Classic Media , early in the 21st , ownwd a lot of gener/mid-20th material , but sold itself out .)
Emerkeith Davyjack said:

...Were there any kind of comics/other forms spin-offs of the new movie , BTW ?

...I ordered the Depp DVD for ayounger family member to-day ( Yes . It will likely be late . ) , along w/some other , lower-priced older-style Ranger stuff...And , I saw a listing for a MMPB novelization of the movie , Amazon has it , I never saw it anywhere retail...I suppose there was no comic-book spin-off of Depp/TLR .

That $9.99 magazine-sized DISNEY COMICS ZONE that was out this year advertised some LR photos/posters inside it on its cover , but there were no comics LR stories in it...

...I recived , too , my order of the TLR novelization ~ which turned out to be a young readers'/kids' book , not a general/all-ages/" adult " one ~ by one Elizabeth Rudnick , Disney Books , IIRC .

Ms. Rudnick's name is on the title page , but nowhere on the jacket (including the spine) , as far as I can see .

No PAD in the adaptations biz she , I guess:--...........

Watch your typing.  "THE LONG RANGER" will get the Freudian minded types after you.  Happened to me.

...It has occured to me that , really , I related to TLR as a vocal character , not someone played by an actor ~ The Cayton Moore series was off TV by the time I noticed it !

I saw the mid-60s Filmation animated series , and occasionally heard re-runs of the OTR version on OTR slots over the years .

Was their a British version of the OTR series , with British actors - maybe even remaking the American series' scripts ? I've seen reference/s suggesting the show playing in the U.K. in the 40s bbbut there was certainly no communications satellite then , and I would think that , in the middle of WWII , that (what I'm told were very fragile 16-inch transcriptions of the show ???) there wouldn't have been much priority for shipping radio Westerns' recordings to the Liverpool docks !!:-)

I'll just say the new film made the Legend of the Lone Ranger look better to me, and I hated that movie. At least John Hart is no longer the worst actor to play the part.

What surprised me was the Lone Ranger falling for his brother's wife, whose name was Rebecca, even though it was established in the radio show that she was killed soon after her husband was, and her name was Linda. How did Disney manage to get her name wrong? That's like David Banner or William "Buck" Rogers. (Buck's first name was Anthony.)

Ron M. said:

What surprised me was the Lone Ranger falling for his brother's wife, whose name was Rebecca, even though it was established in the radio show that she was killed soon after her husband was, and her name was Linda. How did Disney manage to get her name wrong? That's like David Banner or William "Buck" Rogers. (Buck's first name was Anthony.)

It's not "wrong"; it's different. 

Movies are movies, comics are comics, books are books, radio shows are radio shows, live-action TV shows are live-action TV shows, animated TV shows are animated TV shows, etc., and so forth. So far as I'm concerned, each version of a character in a different medium is an alternate universe version of that character. I can't keep the details straight within one medium, let alone across multiple ones. 

True but the Hulk's name should be the same in every medium. Although of course even Stan couldn't keep his name straight. He said the tv show made a mistake and called Banner David before he could correct them, which is why his tombstone says "DAVID ROBERT BANNER." At least that's Stan's version of the story, which he mentioned in the second Hulk digest issue, which for some reason skipped to near the end of Tales to Astonish, instead of the beginning of his series there. (The first volume reprinted Hulk#1-6.) I believe Hulk got two volumes, the FF and Dr. Strange one each, and Spider-Man three. Stan said if they ever made a theatrical motion picture and changed the Hulk's name yet again he was heading for the hills.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Latest Activity

JD DeLuzio replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Archie meets Transformers:"
7 minutes ago
The Baron replied to Captain Comics's discussion Comics Guide: Nov. 28-Dec. 4, 2022
""Bob Phantom" sounds like a goofy name to me.  Certainly not one that would strike…"
13 minutes ago
Luke Blanchard replied to Captain Comics's discussion Comics Guide: Nov. 28-Dec. 4, 2022
"Bob Phantom was a super-powered Golden Ager. It's fairly likely he was intended as a superhero…"
2 hours ago
Luke Blanchard replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion DC's 1st Issue Specials
"In the first Newsboy Legion stories the boys are wary of Jim Harper. The Dingbats'…"
3 hours ago
The Baron replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Do piloted giant mechas count as robots, or a outized battle armor.  Well, here's one of…"
5 hours ago
Richard Willis replied to Lee Houston, Junior's discussion Did Go Comics GO?
"I see what you mean. Some of today's strips have today's date and others have 2016…"
6 hours ago
Richard Willis replied to Emerkeith Davyjack's discussion Jackie Cooper's Celebrity Deaths
"Kirstie Alley, first seen as the Vulcan crew member Saavik in Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan…"
6 hours ago
Lee Houston, Junior replied to Lee Houston, Junior's discussion Did Go Comics GO?
"Go Comics is having another problem week. For whatever reason(s), a lot of strips that should be…"
6 hours ago
Richard Willis replied to Cavaliere (moderator emeritus)'s discussion What are you watching right now?
"This is on my to-be-watched list. I've loved the character of Wednesday ever since Christina…"
7 hours ago
Richard Willis replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion DC's 1st Issue Specials
"In one of our discussions I recently used the term “assorted dingbats” to describe my…"
7 hours ago
Travis Herrick (Modular Mod) replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion DC's 1st Issue Specials
"Hot damn! I thought I had reviewed a couple of these comics before, so traveling back to 2009 (!)…"
9 hours ago
Travis Herrick (Modular Mod) replied to The Baron's discussion Movies I Have Seen Lately
"I honestly, do not remember much of anything about Quantum of Solace, I do know I watched it…"
9 hours ago

© 2022   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service