I know there's at least one other fan of anime on this board, and perhaps more, so I thought I'd do a review of some of the anime I've watched. I'm hoping others will do the same.

Views: 402

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Anime I've started watching but can't review because I never finished them:

One Piece - I watched six episodes and just couldn't get into it.
Baccano! - By and large I don't enjoy Mafia stories. However, I may come back to this one.
Elfen Lied - Lots of gore for seemingly no point.
Speed Grapher - Just too dark.
Psycho Pass - Not int he right head for it, but I may come back to it at some point.
Nichijou - By all accounts I should have loved this, but I watched three episodes and it just didn't work for me.
Girls Bravo - I was enjoying this until the perverted character got a little too perverted and it wasn't fun anymore.
Shimoneta - This was moving along nicely; then a character was introduced that made my flesh crawl and completely took me out of the story.
Black Butler - This was all right, but  I just lost interest over time.
Space Dandy - Watched three episodes. Funny, but not that funny.
Servant X Service - Another anime ruined by a specific character, namely the shiftless perverted office worker.
Trigun - I don't remember why I stopped watching this; I'll likely go back to it.
HIghschool of the Dead - I just don't like zombies. Perhaps if it had been sillier.
Angel Beats - Just couldn't get into it.

Inuyasha - Too damn many episodes.

I've been reading the Nichijou manga. It's OK, but it feels like it's trying to be Azumanga Daioh, only weirder, and not quite getting it.   Never seen any of the anime.

I've also been reading the High School of the Dead manga.  The author, Daisuke Satō , died of heart disease back in March, so the series is unlikely ever to be finished.  Also never seen the anime.

Randy Jackson said:

Yeah, Tomo was another character I had issues with, namely because we weren't really shown why anyone would want to spend time with her--same with Yukari.

Yukari is an example of another common manga/anime type: The Teacher Who Is Less Mature Than Their Students.   She is in some ways an expy of Misato Katsuragi from Neon Genesis Evangelion, even down to the heavy drinking.  I can imagine a bartender seeing Yukari, Misato and, oh, say, Nana Kuroi from Lucky Star (of which I hope to write more later) coming into his establishment, and thinking "This could be very good, and this could be very bad."

I'm sure both Tomo and Yukari have character traits that make them quite likeable. I just didn't see them in the anime--at all. I'd have been done with Tomo after the incident with the keys.

I was jokingly going to ask about One Piece since it is now over 800 episodes.  I have a few friends just absolutely love it. I've never seen it myself.

Randy Jackson said:

Anime I've started watching but can't review because I never finished them:

One Piece - I watched six episodes and just couldn't get into it.
Baccano! - By and large I don't enjoy Mafia stories. However, I may come back to this one.
Elfen Lied - Lots of gore for seemingly no point.
Speed Grapher - Just too dark.
Psycho Pass - Not int he right head for it, but I may come back to it at some point.
Nichijou - By all accounts I should have loved this, but I watched three episodes and it just didn't work for me.
Girls Bravo - I was enjoying this until the perverted character got a little too perverted and it wasn't fun anymore.
Shimoneta - This was moving along nicely; then a character was introduced that made my flesh crawl and completely took me out of the story.
Black Butler - This was all right, but  I just lost interest over time.
Space Dandy - Watched three episodes. Funny, but not that funny.
Servant X Service - Another anime ruined by a specific character, namely the shiftless perverted office worker.
Trigun - I don't remember why I stopped watching this; I'll likely go back to it.
HIghschool of the Dead - I just don't like zombies. Perhaps if it had been sillier.
Angel Beats - Just couldn't get into it.

Inuyasha - Too damn many episodes.

One Piece wasn't terrible, but it just doesn't grab me.  Not to mention that having to watch 600 plus episodes seemed just a little bit daunting to me.

If you don't know it's that long when you start watching it, then it's not so bad.  But even so I watched only a handful of episodes before I gave it up.  On the other hand the Oran Host Club was one season but I loved watching it.

Randy Jackson said:

One Piece wasn't terrible, but it just doesn't grab me.  Not to mention that having to watch 600 plus episodes seemed just a little bit daunting to me.

Title: Log Horizon

Episodes: 25 episodes

Category:  Fantasy

Plot: Elder Tale is one of the most popular MMORPGs in the world. One day after the installation of an expansion pack, a great many players find themselves transported within the game without any method of escape.

What's good: I ended up binge watching the entirety of this series last night, as I simply could not stop watching. There are a number of animes with a similar premise, but most don't deal with the mechanics as well as this does.

Most of the story revolves around Shiroe, who over time has become a legendary strategist as well as a powerful enchanter. However, he's refused to join or form a guild because of his own self doubts. However, the cast does not stop with Shiroe, as there's a large ensemble cast.

Something else that's surprising is that while there are some fights and battles, the meat of the action is actually economics and politics, particularly in terms of the "adventurers" having to deal with the NPCs, who are suddenly living and breathing people with their own lives and interests.

Another difference is that very little effort is given to leaving the game. The focus is more on working with the lives the adventurers have now. Also, the adventurers are essentially immortal, as they respawn if they die.

So it's a combination of the plot, the characters and the world building that really makes this all work and work beautifully I'd say.

What doesn't work: The cast is extremely large, but somehow most of the characters are well developed. However, there are occasions where you want to know more about a specific characters and there's just not enough time.

Additionally there's a change in tone towards the end. It works okay, but it's a little anti-climactic.

Fanservice Level: Almost non-existent ,even when they go to the beach.

Final Thoughts: Extremely exciting and well done.

My rating: 9/10

Randy Jackson said:

I'm sure both Tomo and Yukari have character traits that make them quite likeable. I just didn't see them in the anime--at all. I'd have been done with Tomo after the incident with the keys.

Yeah, I would've strangled Tomo after the key incident.

Title: Konosuba Season 1

Episodes: 10 episodes

Category:  Parody/Fantasy

Plot: Kazuma Sato, an otaku, tries to push a young woman out of the way of a speeding truck as he sees her walking down the road. However, he fails, in that it’s not a speeding truck but a slow moving tractor, and he dies of a heart attack thinking he’s been run over.

He goes to a sort of limbo where the goddess Aqua awaits to send him on his next journey. She gives him the option of being reincarnated on Earth and starting over again, or beginning a new life on a parallel world of adventurers, much like the RPGs he’s played. He chooses the parallel world, and she tells him that as a gift, he can take anything he wants into this new world. As she’s been nothing but snarky and spiteful towards him the entire time, Kazuma chooses Aqua. After a great deal of protesting, Kazuma and Aqua head to their new lives.

What's good: There’s been a fair amount of anime series recently with a similar setup, and in many ways, this is a parody of those animes.

Our “hero” Kazuma isn’t necessarily the sharpest knife in the drawer, but compared to the comrades he gathers into his party, he’s Albert Einstein. hlearns some Rogue skills—although it seems he only uses them to steal girls panties.

The rest of his party consists of:

-Aqua, the relatively powerful water goddess with all the intelligence of chocolate pudding.

- Megumin, an extremely powerful mage. Unfortunately, she only uses “explosion magic” and since the spells for such magic are actually beyond her level, she can only use her power once per day.

- Darkness, a powerful crusader. However, she’s extremely clumsy and can’t hit the broadside of a barn with her sword if she were standing one foot away. She is quite good at absorbing punishment, but it seems to be more because she very much enjoys taking punishment than anything else—that’s right, she’s a masochist.

Oh, and while Kazuma expects his new life to be full of glory and conquest, he actually spends most of his time working construction and sleeping in stables because that’s all he can afford.

Some other fun things are that the threats they face when they do take a quest seem a little silly, but are actually bona fide threats. Unfortunately, in most of these instances, the party causes so much damage that their reward money has to go towards repairs.

The characters are well-rounded as well. Each of them has various quirks that make them interesting, particularly their interactions with one another. Kazuma in particular is kind of fun because he’s not the typical anime hero—he’s a bit of a pervert (although not in an annoying manner) and he’s not the nicest guy around, although given the things he has to deal with, that’s not surprising.

What doesn't work: There are a couple of instances where characters show up that are treated like they’ve been around for awhile but actually just seem to show up out of nowhere. It’s easy to deal with as the plots are simple enough to get up to speed, but it can be a tad jarring when you think “hey, did I miss something?”.

There is a season two which I have not watched yet. I’m hearing that Aqua achieves new levels of annoyingness and I’m a tad reluctant to watch it for that reason.

Fanservice Level: Pretty high. It seems as if brassieres have not been invented in Kazuma’s new world, so there’s a lot of boobs flying around. There’s also an entire episode involving succubi, who are wearing very little clothing.

Final Thoughts: This is funny. It works on a lot of levels, but mainly it provides laughs.

My rating: 8/10

Interesting. Never heard of that one.

I think it's one you would enjoy.

The Baron said:

Interesting. Never heard of that one.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2017   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service