The Baron Re-Reads the Whole Death and Re-Birth of Superman Storyline

Yeah, I know, another thing that isn't a "timeline" as such, although it will involve time travel of sorts, back to the wild and woolly days of 1992, when dinosaurs walked the Earth.  I hadn't read the Superman comics much for years when this story was announced, but I decided to follow it for fun.  I knew they weren't going to really kill him off, but I was interested to see what they would do.  I started offf with....

Superman: The Man of Steel #18 (December 1992): "Doomsday! Part One"

Written by Louise Simonson, with art by Jon Bogdnaove and Dennis Janke.

This story has two threads interspersed with one another:

1. Lois and Superman get caught up fighting a race of sewer people who want to take over Metropolis. Supes handles them fairly easily - this is just another day at the office for him.
  2. Doomsday punches his way out of a box, them establishes his bad-arsehood by crushing a birdie, then disrupting traffic and smashing a truck. The story ends with Oberon overhearing a police report about it, and deciding that this is a job for the Justice League! I'm sur ethey'll be able to handle it no problem!

An interesting slow build. If I hadn't of known that this was going to be the critter that was going to "kill" Superman, I wouldn't of suspected it from this. I sometimes think that they do themselves a disservice by hyping these stories the way they do. Think of how much more of a mind-blower it would of been if the "death of Superman" had been a surprise.

I wasn't overwhelmed by the art on this - it's not bad, just not very good, either.  I tell you, I liked liked Doomsday's initial "containment suit" look better than his later Cranky Grandpa Zombie on Terrigen-Enhanced Steroids look.

Views: 1732

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The Legacy of Superman (March 1993)

This is a collection of stories about other Metropolis-based heroes operating in Superman's absence, including:

• "The Guardians of Metropolis!" Written by Karl Kesel, with art by Walter Simonson. Westfield introduces the Guardian and the Newsboys to Auron, a super-powered clone of Jim Harper.
  • "Sister Act" Written by Roger Stern, with art by Denis Rodier and Ande Parks.The Thorn breaks up a ring of thieves.
  • "Gangbuster of Suicide Slum" Written by Jerry Ordway, with art by Dennis Janke and Mike Machlan.  Gangbuster does ultra-violence on some crooks, Inspector Henderson warns him to leave town.
  • "Funeral Pyres" Written by William Messner-Loebs, with art by Curt Swan and Josef Rubinstein.  Luthor manipulates Sinbad into beating a gang of crooks he doesn't like.
  • "Untitled" Written by Dan Jurgens, with art by Dan Jurgens and Trevor Scott. Waverider the Uninteresting Man learns why he cannot use time travel to reverse Superman's death.

Well, there's alot of nice art in this, which is good, because there's bugger-all interest I have in any of these characters or their stories. Just really not interesting or engaging at all.

Supergirl and Team Luthor (1993)

Two stories in this:

• "..The Future of Metropolis!" Written by Roger Stern, with art by June Brigman, Jackson Guice and Dennis Janke.  This is essentially about Luthor scheming to have Team Luthor given the same sort of police recognition in Metropolis that Superman had, going so far as to stage an attack on S.T.A,R. Labs, so he can come to the rescue. Being Luthor, he overplays his hand, and things don't work put for him.
  • "Shelter" Written by Louise Simonson, with art by Denis Rodier.

A so-so book, it felt like it was all subplots, with no main plot.  My reaction is perhaps somewhat colored by the fact that I never liked these versions of the Luthor and Supergirl characters.

To me, this story really highlighted the fact that Waverider really was the most astonishingly useless character ever committed to paper.

The Baron said:

This is a collection of stories about other Metropolis-based heroes operating in Superman's absence, including:

• "The Guardians of Metropolis!" Written by Karl Kesel, with art by Walter Simonson. Westfield introduces the Guardian and the Newsboys to Auron, a super-powered clone of Jim Harper.
  • "Sister Act" Written by Roger Stern, with art by Denis Rodier and Ande Parks.The Thorn breaks up a ring of thieves.
  • "Gangbuster of Suicide Slum" Written by Jerry Ordway, with art by Dennis Janke and Mike Machlan.  Gangbuster does ultra-violence on some crooks, Inspector Henderson warns him to leave town.
  • "Funeral Pyres" Written by William Messner-Loebs, with art by Curt Swan and Josef Rubinstein.  Luthor manipulates Sinbad into beating a gang of crooks he doesn't like.
  • "Untitled" Written by Dan Jurgens, with art by Dan Jurgens and Trevor Scott. Waverider the Uninteresting Man learns why he cannot use time travel to reverse Superman's death.

Well, there's alot of nice art in this, which is good, because there's bugger-all interest I have in any of these characters or their stories. Just really not interesting or engaging at all.

...So was this first introduction of a " Jim Harper Clone " into the post-Crisis DCU ?

Though the phrase " clone " wasn't in use yet , the King's JIMBO had a clone " Golden Guardian " who was stated as being so , not the Jim harper of the 40s .

I already spoke about the Newsboy Legion II of the Fourth World being , first , apparently unchanged in the post-Crisis world and then apparently being killed off off-panel and replaced by clones here , haven't I ?

The Baron said:

Auron was a super-powered clone of Jim Harper, while the Golden Guardian (current day) was just a regular old garden variety clone of the Golden Age Jim Harper.

...Thank you .

Auron is the more recent character than the Golden Guardian - by over 20 years ~ Isn't he ?

BTW , just since I just looked up both the Newsboys and Blue Beetle on Wikipedia ~ Is this supposed " all Blue Beetle stories prior to the mid-Sixties Charlton one or so are in a limbo where DC cannot reprint them , or acknowledge them , and DC cannot use Blue Beetle , even the present-day version (Jamie ~ whom I like .) in any DC media versions , even cartoon series " , still true ?

However , while reading all that , I found a 2010 post about a supposed " test film " of a LA version of the Jamie BB , so.........?

Blue Beetle, the Jaime Reyes version, was in several episodes of the Young Justice TV series. There was even a Black Beetle character. Jaime Reyes, Ted Kord, and Dan Garrett were in an episode of Batman: The Brave and the Bold, and Jaime appeared in other episodes, too. Ted Kord appeared in at least two episodes.

And by "LA" you mean Live Action and not Los Angeles, I suppose.

The Jaime Reyes Beetle also appeared in a season 10 episode of Smallville, along with Booster Gold.

...Yes . I thought that was a well-established acronym among fans , and I had brought up cartoons (if perhaps?? not prominently enough) , so bringing up a non-cartoon , then...

PowerBook Pete, the Mad Mod said:

And by "LA" you mean Live Action and not Los Angeles, I suppose.

Justice League America #72 (March 1993): "Destiny's Hand Part I"

Written by Dan Jurgens, with art by Dan Jurgens and Rick Burchett.

Line-Up: The Atom, Batman, the Black Canary, Firestorm, the Flash, the Green Arrow, the Green Lantern, Hawkman, the Martian Manhunter,  the Red Tornado.

This storyline really wasn't all that much about the "Death of Superman", but it was in with that pile of comics, so I decided to look at it. At the time, there was a hiatus between the end of the "Funeral for a Friend" arc and the beginning of the "Reign of the Supermen" arc, and this is what I was reading during that time.

Without any explanation, we find  ourselves in a world where the Satellite Era League has become a group of brutal tyrants, imposing their own order.  They battle the Injustice Gang  - J'Onn kills Star Sapphire (and Hal shows little sorrow at Carol's death), Katar maims Sinestro and takes his ring. When China tries to nuke the League, Barry and Ray cause their attack to backfire on them.  Oliver does his usual complaining, but doesn't actually do much about it. Batman supports the League caautiously, but doesn't help them directly. Hal maneuvers himself into the Presidency. It i only in the final panel that we see Doctor Destiny cackling away in Arkham, thus implying that he is behind it all somehow.

I enjoyed this book alot - I thought it was a very good set-up. I remember being very intrigued at the time to find out what was going on.

Justice League America #73 (April 1993): "Destiny's Hand II"

Written by Dan Jurgens, with art by Dan Jurgens and Rick Burchett.

Line-Up: Agent Liberty, the Black Condor, Bloodwynd, Guy Gardner, Maxima, the Ray, Wonder Woman.

Our heroes investigate the re-appearance of the JLA satellite, only to encounter the fascist League from last issue. As the two groups come into conflict, we see Doctor Destiny escaping from Arkham, and the Atom passing out from pain.

Interesting stuff, a nice build-up of the conflict between the two groups, and the mystery of what exactly Destiny is up to.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service