I used to be a huge fan of the comic strip Dilbert. I found it to be funny and inventive. Eventually, however, it seemed to me that it fell into the same pattern that many successful comic strips fall into. That is, Scott Adams developed a stable of jokes and situations that he would cycle through periodically, dressing them up slightly to keep it from being too obvious.

The strip spawned an animated series that ran on UPN from January 1999 - July 2000. I don't suppose that  it will go down in history as the greatest piece of animation ever made, but it had its moments.  Be that as it may, I have the whole series on disk, and have decided to break it out and watch it again.

Views: 287

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

"Elbonian Trip"

Plot:  Dilbert and pals are sent to monitor quality control at the company's overseas manufacturing plant in Elbonia.  Elbonia is sort of a latter-day version of Al Capp's Lower Slobbovia, grindingly poor and vaguely Slavonic. 

Overall: Another OK episode.

"The Takeover"

Plot: Wally and Dilbert gain a controlling interest in their company by dubious means.

"Little People"

Plot: Dilbert and pals discover employees who have been literally "down-sized" stealing office supplies.

Characters We First Encounter in This Episode:

Bob the Dinosaur (voiced by Maurice La Marche)  Although he's in the opening credits, this is Bob's only appearance.

Catbert (voiced by Jason Alexander) the evil human resources director

Overall: A fairly amusing episode.

Since WonderCon relocated to Southern California I've been attending. Mark Evanier has a panel of voice actors each year and Maurice La Marche was one of the panelists. He was a kick. (He'll always be The Brain to me)

Richard Willis said:

Since WonderCon relocated to Southern California I've been attending. Mark Evanier has a panel of voice actors each year and Maurice La Marche was one of the panelists. He was a kick. (He'll always be The Brain to me)

I always think of him as Kif Kroker from Futurama.

"Tower of Babel"

Plot:  When contaminants cause employees to begin mutating, Dilbert is put in charge of selecting a new workplace.

Overall:  An OK episode. Not for the squeamish.

"Y2K"

Plot:  Dilbert is put in charge of making sure that the company's antiquated mainframe is Y2K-compliant.

Overall  An interesting episode, with a rare look into Wally's past.  It's almost nostalgic - remember how worked up people were over Y2K?

Where I worked I identified a problem years earlier when it was capturing birthdates (two-digit year) and the computer thought individuals born in the 1890s were too young because they hadn't been born yet!

That was a data and field-length problem. The infamous problem with Y2K was that the dates embedded in the computer chips were two-digit. This would only be a problem if the programs somehow referenced the dates embedded in the computer chips. So airplanes weren't going to fall from the sky. A lot of work was performed at great expense by many companies to head off any problems before they happened. We'll never know how bad it might have been without all of that work.

"The Knack"

Plot: Dilbert loses his "knack" for engineering, resulting in the collapse of civilization.

"Charity"

Plot: Dilbert is put in charge of the company's charity carnival.

Overall: An OK episode. A cynical look at "charity" drives.

"Holiday"

Plot:  Dogbert gets "Dogbert Day" made into a national holiday.

Overall:  A somewhat scattershot look at holiday madness.

"The Infomercial"

Plot: The Gruntmaster 6000 causes a black hole which nearly destroys the world.

Overall: An odd episode. The main story is apocalyptic, and there's a weird side story with the Boss developing psychic powers. There's a bit with Dogbert torturing Amelia Earhart in a science museum that's funny as hell.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2017   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service