Holy cow, that was the best thing the CW has ever given me for my birthday.

This is everything I'd want a Flash show to be. There are some changes to the mythos -- the particle accelerator being the source of most or all of the super powers in the area -- but I'm okay with that. It gives the show some unity, and asks us to believe one unbelievable thing instead of asking us to believe a new unbelievable thing every week. I think it's a smart approach. 

Grant Gustin is perfect as Barry -- younger than when I'd first encountered the character, but with so much heart and good humor. I'm stunned at how well he inhabits the part.
I'm most concerned about Thawne's inclusion -- I hope they don't rush through that, putting the prime suspect for his mother's murder right up front. And, frankly, I think growing up with Iris is makes that relationship a little odd, too... and ultimately she might not be the one he ends up with because of that dynamic. (I don't think they plan for that not to happen, but it might be that the show finds itself unable to surmount the squick factor and decides to go another way.)

But I love the cast, the supporting characters (especially at the lab) are great, and I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes! For me, this is head and shoulders above Gotham -- even after this week's ridiculous Balloon Man episode, where I'm finally starting to enjoy it for the cheese it brings to the table.

Views: 4348

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Rainbow Raider is a Green Arrow villain?

Seems a guy using a boomerang in live action would seem kind of a poor villain. Actually he always seemed questionable as the foe of a guy that could outrun his weapons on his hands.

Apparently Arrow and company follow Captain Boomerang to Central City. It sounds like Rainbow Raider (with whom I'm totally unfamiliar) is a TV Flash enemy and that both heroes will be involved with Boomerang, who's on a vendetta against the agency who set up the Suicide Squad.

Ron M. said:

Rainbow Raider is a Green Arrow villain?

Seems a guy using a boomerang in live action would seem kind of a poor villain. Actually he always seemed questionable as the foe of a guy that could outrun his weapons on his hands.

Captain Boomerang is a Green Arrow villain in the show?

I think Girder has always been a decent utility player for Wally -- more of someone to fill out the ranks of the Rogues than a threat all his own. I like Tar Pit a little better, powers-wise. My least favorite of the nu-Rogues is Murmur, who just doesn't seem to fit with the type of stories Flash does well -- he's more of a Mr Zsasz type psychopath. Ugh.

I can't remember who the radioactive Rogue is -- he was basically being used as a battery to power Iron Heights for a while -- but I thought he made a good villain for Wally. We'll see if he shows up in the show. I like that the show isn't shy about pulling in villains from everywhere.

Ron M. said:

Captain Boomerang is a Green Arrow villain in the show?

I gather he's intent on killing some people and Arrow and his scoobies are trying to stop him. He hasn't appeared on either show up to now.

I'm really enjoying this show. I don't like it quite as much as Gotham, but that's... whatever the opposite of "damning with faint praise" would be.

I think I like it just as much, in a different way. Watching it doesn't make me want to go back to reading superhero comics, but it reminds me of why I enjoyed them.

A very busy show tonight! Three villains -- Blackout, Clock King (from Arrow!), and Girder -- all had major roles. Plus, in one scene, Welles rattles off a bunch of names of people affected (killed? I doubt it) by the particle accelerator explosion, including...

(and for the heck of it, I'll add some spoiler space)

Ron Raymond (whom we knew about)

Ralph Dibney

Grant Emerson

Al Rothstein

Will Everett

and Bea DaCosta

Now, these people are all said to be dead, I think. But we know from that Ron Raymond isn't actually dead -- Firestorm's got a story coming up -- so what are the chances we'll see these other heroes in the future, too? 

Martin Stein got left out.

I caught those names too! Elongated Man, Damage, Nuklon, Amazing Man and Fire, right?

And I've been waiting for the Ron "Firestorm" Raymond reveal. Not to mention that both of Welles' assistants have names associated with comics characters (Vibe and Killer Frost, I think).

But who is Welles? Is that a name we're supposed to know? He seems to be a combination of the two Reverse Flashes, Eobard Thawne (who came from the future and had knowledge of it) and Hunter Zolomon (who was in a wheelchair at his inception and wanted to "test" Flash to make him stronger). So I have no idea what to make of him.

Except that he's a terrible person!

I think Welles is a phony name. He seems to be a time traveler, so choosing the name "H. Welles" is pretty much daring someone to figure that out. Between he and Eddie Thawne, the show has been pretty smart about giving us suspects for Reverse Flash, but not too many hints. (Although at the end of this episode, we see Thawne in the hospital, decidedly not super-speed-metabolizing the pain meds like Barry would.)

There's another theory floating around the Welles is Metron -- he's an amoral time traveler that's mostly seated... and, in this episode, consults someone named "Gideon," which is the name of an obscure New God, apparently. I don't put a lot of stock in that one. 

Of course, Barry's also faced Abracadabra, another time traveler from the future. I could see Welles going that route eventually, but there's not much to indicate that at present.

Another interesting theory is that he's an older Barry from the future -- although that would require Barry (in his timeline, anyway) to let himself become an ends justify the means" kind of guy, something I don't see in young Barry at all. But it would be a hell of a twist.

And has the show mentioned Martin Stein at all yet? He's been cast, I believe, but he might not have been someone Welles knows was affected by the particle accelerator accident, for whatever reason.

A few more of my favorite theories about Welles' identity:

Rip Hunter  -  trying to repair the timestream after Zoom or some other Flash foe has altered it in some way; or alternately, trying to ensure that Barry fulfills his destiny by dying in the "Crisis" that was shown in the first episode's newspaper headline.  There are also some theories that it could be Booster Gold, Waverider or some other time traveling hero, but murdering Simons Stagg seems a bit too violent for either of them.  Hunter, however, has been shown to be a bit of an extremist in recent years -- willing to do some pretty ugly things for "the greater good"

T.O Morrow  -  Morrow wasn't a time traveler, but he did have a machine that allowed him to see into the future.  He could be trying to manipulate Barry into some action that will benefit him in some way.

Jay Garrick (or some other "Earth 2" denizen)  -  possibly trying to prevent the "Crisis" from the pilot in order to save his own universe.  I have a hard time believing this one, since once again the Stagg murder seems a bit too extreme for Garrick.  Besides, Jay would probably be the type of guy to just approach Barry and explain what the problem is so the two of them could try and come up with a solution together.

Gorilla Grodd  -  my personal favorite; the theory is that Welles is exactly who he claims to be, but that he's being mind-controlled by Grodd, who developed his psychic abilites when the particle accelerator exploded.  I have no idea how Grodd would have gotten a newspaper from the future, or what his motivations might be, but this one's too much fun not to consider.

Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) said:

I think Welles is a phony name. He seems to be a time traveler, so choosing the name "H. Welles" is pretty much daring someone to figure that out. Between he and Eddie Thawne, the show has been pretty smart about giving us suspects for Reverse Flash, but not too many hints. (Although at the end of this episode, we see Thawne in the hospital, decidedly not super-speed-metabolizing the pain meds like Barry would.)

There's another theory floating around the Welles is Metron -- he's an amoral time traveler that's mostly seated... and, in this episode, consults someone named "Gideon," which is the name of an obscure New God, apparently. I don't put a lot of stock in that one. 

Of course, Barry's also faced Abracadabra, another time traveler from the future. I could see Welles going that route eventually, but there's not much to indicate that at present.

Another interesting theory is that he's an older Barry from the future -- although that would require Barry (in his timeline, anyway) to let himself become an ends justify the means" kind of guy, something I don't see in young Barry at all. But it would be a hell of a twist.

And has the show mentioned Martin Stein at all yet? He's been cast, I believe, but he might not have been someone Welles knows was affected by the particle accelerator accident, for whatever reason.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Publisher News

The Justice League comes to an end in 'Justice League' #75

Posted by Captain Comics on January 20, 2022 at 5:30pm 4 Comments

Joshua Williamson & Rafa Sandoval Team up to kill the team on April 19…

Continue

Groups

© 2022   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service