The new Justice League receives four out of five stars from me but nearly only had three. Call it a B- (for those who remember having real grades). The art was dynamic, the first glimpse into this new word intriguing, what characterization there was was enjoyable, but the pacing stinks. It was way too deconstructed. Five pages, six tops, worth of story spread out over an issue. I'm still excited about the new DCU but this wasn't a great start.

(copies from my Facebook profile)

Views: 2746

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yeah, I've always thought it was funny (and not in a ha-ha way) when parents have no problems with their kids watching violence, but are all uptight about a man and woman in the same bed. And there is a STRONG correlation between the desensitization of violence and the normalization of war. (And HERE is where I take duct tape and put it over my mouth, lest I say more...)

Figserello said:

I've always been amazed at how uptight US culture is about sex while loving violence.  Even US kids' cartoons are awash with beatings and gunplay.  There's a reading of the situation which says that US culture wants to sublimate the sexual impulse into a violence impulse, in order to normalise violence and war.  (When was the last time the US wasn't at war?)  Thus young men happily make war not love.  It kinda makes sense.

"Here's Ty Templeton's critique from of the new 52 Catwoman and Starfire characterisations. (via Colin Smith)"

Hilarious. That says it all. DC is giving the horny adolescent fanboys what they wanna see, until they're old enough to buy Playboy and the rest.

Hilarious. That says it all. DC is giving the horny adolescent fanboys what they wanna see, until they're old enough to buy Playboy and the rest.

Well they all have access to the internet now, and it's free.

Month 2 is upon us. So far I've read:

Red Lanterns #2- Ok, this was an improvement over issue 1. I'm giving it one more issue because I'm not totally on board yet. They are getting more into Atroticus as a character though. I always kinda liked him but now he's becoming a favorite character.

Animal Man #2- This was good but may be getting a little too weird for my tastes. We'll see. The strongest part of the story is Buddy's dynamic with his family.

Green Arrow #2- The art is awesome. Dan Jurgens is great. The story, meh. I like the idea behind the new GA. He's not quite like the old Ollie. I just am not wild about this new story arc with these C list villains who kill for youtube. Also the lingo thrown out in this issue like BFF is slightly annoying. But the art and the action is still good. The GA on the cover looks nothing like the GA in the book, just thought I'd throw that out there.

I really enjoyed Swamp Thing #2...especially the big final page reveal...

This week's comics for me:

I hadn't been planning on picking up Batwing, but I did since Batgirl didn't ship... and I'm glad I did. The story has grabbed me pretty well, and I'll likely see it through to the end of this storyline. 

Action Comics I liked a lot -- Brent Anderson does a decent job on his fill-in pages, and I liked Luthor's interrogation of Superman quite a bit. Plus, it's weird seeing Lois young enough to say "Daa-ad," but she pulls it off. (And a great elevator scene!)

Men of War -- I still have no idea where this is going, but I'll be picking up the next issue. I want to get to at least the end of the first backup story. But so far the lead story is full of Very Mysterious Encounters. I really like the war stuff, not crazy about the superhero/supernatural stuff. But I love love love the footnotes explaining military terms. It feels so Kanigher, and so right. Plus, I think the backup feature (sans supers) is gripping, with a great cliffhanger. 

OMAC. Slammo!!! A few familiar characters & concepts are introduced in new contexts into the DCU. Checkmate in particular is interesting -- now more an international peacekeeping force like Kirby's Global Peace Agency, but this time untethered from the U.N. Seems less political, more mysterious and action oriented. Once again, I loved it. One quibble -- with this issue Didio brings back the annoying "Eye meant to spell it that way" speech from Brother Eye; it wasn't present in the first issue, and I didn't realize how much it annoyed me until it returned. But it's a small detail in an otherwise rockin' book.

And I finally read Swamp Thing #2 last night, back to back with a reread of issue 1. Good and creepy, with the reintroduction of two long-standing cast members and some really unsettling imagery. Pacquette's really rocking a Bissette/Totleben vibe, which is something I'd never thought he had in him. A terrific book, one I'd forgotten how much I'd missed.

I read Detective Comics #2 the other day. It's still holding strong and still gross. The beginning was a bit bland with Bruce hooking up with a "girlfriend". Then it gets to the action and picks up from where last issue left off. The last page is a twist, much like last month's.
Hokey smokes, Aquaman is a top 20 seller!
While Johns and Reis are there. The moment they're gone.....

Doc Beechler (mod-MD) said:
Hopefully they will stay with it for a long time like with Green Lantern. I'm sure Johns & Reis's names were a big selling point with this but the book itself was really, really good.
Philip Portelli said:
While Johns and Reis are there. The moment they're gone.....

Doc Beechler (mod-MD) said:
Yeah, it was a surprisingly good book. Credit to the colorist, too -- he did some fine work distinguishing the memories and flashbacks.
Rob Staeger Johnson is right! I bought Batwing #2 because I got my comics up to the register, and the girl said, "If you buy one more issue #2, you'll get 100 extra points." ("Points" being an incentive system at my LCS...) Being a sucker for points, I bit the hook and looked around and said, "Okay, I'll get Batwing." I had bought #1 and it hadn't grabbed me yet. But #2 really made this a book to look forward to. It really does a great job of adding some depth to the DCU in Africa, much more than Vixen does in the Justice League. It actually feels very real, in no small part to the artwork of Ben Oliver. Awesome stuff.

Rob Staeger said:

I hadn't been planning on picking up Batwing, but I did since Batgirl didn't ship... and I'm glad I did. The story has grabbed me pretty well, and I'll likely see it through to the end of this storyline. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service