Another tokusatsu.  Blame Jeff Pl.

Episode 01: "Secret Messenger of the Morning Wind"

1)The opening and closing themes are OK, but not particularly distinctive.

2)Our hero is Gentaro Shizuka, a "laughing daredevil" type. A skilled fighter, he is capable of Ken Kurenai style "improbable leaps".  He's got a magic stick that seems to serve many of the same functions as Daredevil's billy-club. Also, he sings and plays other people's guitars. I suspect that I am going to have fun not liking him.

3)His sidekick is Goro Kishima, sent by Professor Tsushima to help Ken Gentaro. He is vaguely Gilliganesque.  In times of trouble, he uses IRON SHOCK! to transform into...

4)Iron King, a giant Ultraman knock-off. Gentaro recognizes IK and says "But I wonder when Professor Tsushima completed Iron King...", which implies that IK (and also Goro?) is an artificial being.  IK has an analogue to Ultraman's "color-timer" - a flashing light that indicates when his water level is low. This is important because "Iron King loses his ability to fight when he loses his bodily water." This gives him a limited time to fight, and also mean that Goro is thirsty all the time, a clue which any five year old could pick up on, but which will no doubt come as a huge shock to Gentaro when he discovers it around Episode 25. So far, IK's special moves include IRON KICK!

5)Whilst wandering in the forest, they encounter Yukiko Takamura, who is vaguely reminiscent of Miss Land O' Lakes.  I'm guessing that she's either a potential love interest for Gentaro, or a shady character.

6)The chief enemies are the Shrianui Clan, who have bene plotting to conquer Japan for 2,000 years, which seems like an awful long time to have not apparently achieved all that much.  There seems to be about ten of them, and they don't fight alot better then the Gargoyles or Mecha-Robos did. How they expect to conquer Japan is beyond me. They do have giant robots, which they appear to be conveniently sending out one at a time. They're not very distinctive-looking.  The one is this episode is Vacu-mirah the Vacuum Robot,  whose power is that it both sucks and blows, to steal a line from Bart Simpson. It is controlled by a Mecha-Robo Shiranui posing as Evil Grandma. It battles IK inconclusively, and is blown up when Gentaro hits it with its own control badge, which seems a bit of a design flaw.

7)Fun quote: "Impudently, the National Security forces have discovered us." Yeah, how dare the National Security forces discover a threat to national security!

8)Next Time: Gyro-gesu the Slicing Robot!

9)Ending scene: Gentaro laughs like the hopeless fool that he is!

Overall: So far, so good. This shows promise to be mildly amusing.

Views: 1219

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Episode 17: "The Order to Assassinate Iron King"

1)"Featuring the Monster Robot Dodzilla" - I'm assuming the name is a gag of sorts, the critter itself isn't much like the Big G, being a spike-handed dinosaur with stomach guns.

2)Yeah, 'cause yelling "Stop crying!" at a weeping woman always works.

3)I've always wondered what Gentaro expects to achieve when he "ropes" the enemy monsters. I also wonder why one of them doesn't just fling him over the horizon.

4)So, an injury to Goro is reflected even when he transforms.

5)"As we suspected, it's a transformation of Goro Kirishima." So, even the POP has figured this out, making Gentaro officially the thickest *** in the universe.

6)Wait, isn't this the second time they've done the "a female loved one of an enemy minion shows up" story?

7)"As a sister, you believe in your own brother."  Trust me, Gentaro, that's not always a given.

8)You don't tend to see this many impalements in American kids' TV.

9)Ending Scene: Our heroes look back.

Overall: An OK episode

Episode 20: "Operation: Monster Robot Annihilation"

1):Featuring the Monster Robot Kumagross" - Sort of a bulky critter, with missile launchers on his back, and tanks in his feet.

2)Apparently "Rock, Paper, Scissors" is a universal thing.

3)"Killing them right away wouldn't avenge our colleagues." Sure, it would.

4)"Get trampled by Kumagross and die, you three!"

5)They sure didn't do a good job of disarming Gentaro, did they?

6)Should you be able to give a monster robot a hotfoot?

7)So, the POP boss is called "Phantom Gekko"?

8)Apparently, IK has a sort of "kame-hame-ha" attack.

9)Didn't the Shiranui arc also end with IK pulling Gentaro out of the enemy HQ just before it blew up? IK must haver a Gentaro-detector.

10)Ending Scene: Oh, noes! It's the Invasion of the V for Vendetta Cosplay Society only they got the masks wrong Titanians!

Overall: An OK wrap-up to this story arc. I have to say, the POP don't quite live up to the Shiranui Clan, for me.  I have to wonder - if the Shiranui Clan had won, would the POP then have tried to overthrow them?

What happened to 18 & 19?

Tracy of Moon-T said:

What happened to 18 & 19?

Sorry - the above one is Episode 18, I messed up, and it's to late to change it.
Well, that's okay then. I thought that you had a marathon session and didn't tell me.

No, I'm just a moron.

The Baron said:

No, I'm just a moron.

No, you're a Baron. You can number the episodes any way you want.
In Episode 17, we fully expected Gentaro to hit that woman. I asked if that was bad, that we assumed it but since it is his sop with women...

Episode 19: "The Giant Bug Kabutoron Appears"

1)"Featuring the Space Bug Monster Kabutoron" - sort of a chubby beetle that spits balloon bombs.

2)"We'll soon kick you to the bottom of hell."

3)"Iron King my ass! Time for Plan B!"

4)Noriko Fujimoro - looks like she's going to be their foil for the final story arc.

5)Ending Scene: They find the Titanian spaceship!

Overall:  Interesitng. The Titanians have a tendency to run along with their arms spread out like kids playing super-hero.

Episode 17:

Ooh… this episode starts like The Wild One. (Sort of.)

"Featuring the Monster Robot Dodzilla" - I'm assuming the name is a gag of sorts, the critter itself isn't much like the Big G, being a spike-handed dinosaur with stomach guns.

To me, his stomach guns looked like a monkey’s butt, but Tracy pointed out that monkeys’ butts don’t have “petals.” It’s a wonder Toho didn’t sue. Then again, who knows how close the monster’s name was in Japanese. Maybe that was a joke of the translator.

Yeah, 'cause yelling "Stop crying!" at a weeping woman always works.

As Tracy already pointed out, When Gentaro leapt to protect the girl, we thought he was going to attack her. Tracy asked, “Is it wrong that we both thought he was going to hit her?” “Mot much,” I repelied.

I've always wondered what Gentaro expects to achieve when he "ropes" the enemy monsters. I also wonder why one of them doesn't just fling him over the horizon.

Well, sometimes he manages to (quite unbelievably) slice a monster’s arm off. How did he survive that fall this episode, anyway?

So, an injury to Goro is reflected even when he transforms… even the POP has figured this out…

And it didn’t take them 17 episodes (and counting), either!

You don't tend to see this many impalements in American kids' TV.

That is a shame.

Ending Scene: Our heroes look back.

Our heroes are barely in the closet at this point.

Episode 18:

It’s funny… even Goro seems to know Gentaro has an image problem. I wonder if it was perceived as such among viewers of the day…? Goro laments that they never meet “kind and pretty ladies.” In fact, they do (like, every episode), but Gentaro usually assaults them. This is actually a great show to teach little boys to respect girls; just tell them to behave exactly the opposite of Gentaro! Iron King seems to display a new power every episode lately, but I’m okay with that.

Wow, another head-spinningly fast transition! It’s like these secret organizations are just waiting in the wings. Good thing they’re so gentlemanly about taking turns taking over the world. What if they all teamed up? Worse yet, what if they all pursued their agendas simultaneously?

I don’t have a clear preference between the Shiranui Clan and the POP. I’m looking forward to the V for VCS.

Episode 19: Somehow, you got an episode ahead of us again.

Excuse me... Baron is ahead of us because you told him we were an episode ahead...and then you made us skip a day!

Probably I'll skip a night over the weekend, then we should be synched up again.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service