Thought it would be fun to re-watch these, since I finally picked up a copy of Star Trek - Into Darkness from the cheapie bin, which  means I now have copies of all of them.

So, on into space, the filmic frontier...

Views: 2079

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Dave Elyea said:

Even tho we haven't gotten to Into Darkness yet, enough of us must have seen it to make me wonder if the comment about the need to cast an Indian actor as Khan today was meant to be ironic.

Yes. Yes, it was.

This page has some interesting information about the aborted TV revival.

Philip Portelli said:

Amazingly Kirk and Khan are never face to face, just ship to ship.

Yeah, I gather Montalban was a little bummed about that. I guess he'd been hoping to work with Shatner in person.  Supposedly, most of his scenes were filmed months apart from Shatner's to accommodate his schedule. 

Very interesting. I've never heard of this before.

Luke Blanchard said:

This page has some interesting information about the aborted TV revival.

Which publisher currently has the rights to Star Trek? IDW, right? Until recently, The Wrath of Khan was the only movie that hadn't been adapted into comics form. The adaptation wasn't bad (although they cut a lot from the movie), but better still was the Khan mini series which filled the gap between "Space Seed" and The Wrath of Khan. Read back-to-back, the two series make for a quite enjoyable reading experience.

After I wrote this I remembered that Roddenberry believed that all religion would be gone by the 23rd century. I guess that accounts for the turban-less Khan.  

Richard Willis said:

It is odd that a Sikh in both the TV series and both movies does not wear the turban required by his religion. (It is a religion, not a race.)

Although Montalban is a fairly dark-skinned Hispanic fellow, it looked to me that they used make-up to make him look more Indian?

I believe the word Singh means lion or maybe tiger. The big deal with the Sikh religion is that all the men must be warriors and protect their society.  According to their religion they all must carry a dagger/sword at all times. I think they gave the British a lot of trouble in the Empire days.  (And this is why Moore made Capt Nemo a Sikh in his LoEG books.)

I've come to this thread late, but enjoyed it.

I was 21 when the first Trek movie came out, and I was bitterly disappointed. My main complaints have already been addressed here. (Boring uniforms, plot swipe from "The Changeling," lots of scenes of people staring in wonder at 2001 wannabe effects, all the characters acting like d*cks, the two new characters as boring as oatmeal).

I saw the second movie in a matinee with my brother, and we absolutely loved it. In fact, instead of going wherever it was we were supposed to go that day, we went to a bar and talked about it for a few hours. I predicted that Spock would be back, and that "remember" would be the key. (I had read enough comic-book resurrections to know a Reset Button when I saw one.) Loved the dialogue.* Thought the uniforms were lots better, although as others said, they looked hot and I missed the branch-specific colors. Hated Kirk's son (what a whiner!). Loved Montalban. Loved The Enemy Below riffs. Teared up at the death scene. Really, a very good movie and still my favorite.

* I still tell interns "Learn how things work on a starship!"

Figserello said:

And this is why Moore made Capt Nemo a Sikh in his LoEG books.

Jules Verne revealed Nemo to have an Indian background in The Mysterious Island. Reportedly he was going to be Polish but Verne's publisher was afraid of offending the Russians. From what I can tell from that Wikipedia page the connections Verne gave Nemo were Hindu and Muslim rather than Sikh, though.

Just to what was going on, comic-wise, with STAR TREK. When Star Trek the Motion Picture came out, Marvel did an adaption in one of its Super Specials. They later rereleased it as Star Trek #1-3 then produced new stories bu they only had the rights to characters and concepts from the movie which was very limiting. That resulted in some rather bizarre and ill-conceived tales such as the above!

Marvel never treated Star Trek like it did Star Wars and it was cancelled with #18.

After Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan and its success, DC got the rights to Star Trek but it included the TV series so several characters returned. Sadly they could not use Mister Spock initially. DC's Star Trek lasted a decade and was joined by Star Trek: The Next Generation.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service