Music? What song? By whom?

Podcasts? Which ones? Who's on it?

The whir of your hard drive while you defrag?

Whatever you're listening to, share it with the Legion of Superfluous Heroes!

Views: 5424

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I’ve been buying music on CD like crazy lately! I used to buy on the average on one CD a week back in the later ‘80s and early ‘90s, but that slacked off, especially in the last decade or so. In the early 2Ks I bought a HUGEe CD rack and have long since filled it. I recently moved an antique magazine rack (filled with comics) out of my entertainment room and replaced it with a new shelf. Now that I have space to fill, I’m buying CDs and DVDs like a fiend again. At least that’s one theory. But I digress. Here’s what I’ve bought recently and am in the process of listening to now.

PETE TOWNSEND: “SCOOP 3”: As mentioned above.

CSN (and sometimes Y): I forgot to mention above that I recently bought Déjà Vu, the first album by Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young (or the second album by Crosby ,Stills and Nash). I’ve had their first album for a long time but have never listened to this album before (although I was familiar with most of the songs on it). Then, yesterday, following recent “demo” albums from Pete Townsend and Prince, I bought a CD of CS&N demos. I haven’t even listened to it yet.

JOHN LENNON: “IMAGINE”: what I initially went into the record store for, though, was the reissue of this classic, which includes single, outtakes and more demos.

CHICAGO: “LIVE RADIO 1980”:: While I was there I found this one. It’s not an official release; it’s on a knock-off label, but the package was nice and it contains a mix of songs they no longer perform. I hope this is “live” in the studio and played on the radio, rather than “live in concert.” (Obviously I haven’t had a chance to listen to this one, either.) I do remember taping a live concert off the radio around this time (on cassette), but I ran out of tape right in the middle of a really cool trombone riff. If this CD ends up being that I’ll be happy.

BOB DYLAN: “TRIPLICATE”: If you’d’ve asked me yesterday about Bob Dylan’s recent albums of Frank Sinatra numbers and tunes from the “Great American Somgbook,” I’d’ve told you the first came out in 2017 and the second earlier this year. Nuh uh. The first came out in 2015, the second in 2016, and the third (!) in 2017. I didn’t even know about that one. I bought it yesterday, too, three CDs.

THE MOODY BLUES: I’ve been thinking about the Moody Blues ever since Kevin posted about listening to the seven “classic” albums last month. The only one I have on CD is Days of Future Past (which I did listen to last week). I used to have In Search of the Lost Chord years ago on cassette, but it’s been decades since I’ve even seen it. I’ve accumulated a lot of “points” at my LRS (Local Record Shop) lately, so I applied them to free used copies of In Search of the Lost Chord and On the threshold of a Dream (and, no, I haven’t listened t these yet, either). If my purpose holds, my LRS has used copies of the others as well.

I returned to the Moody Blues this weekend. I chose To Our Children's Children's Children but In Search Of The Lost Chord will be next in my listening line up.

Also listening to Catch Bull At Four by Cat Stevens. I love the song Angelsea - one of his best.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

THE MOODY BLUES: I’ve been thinking about the Moody Blues ever since Kevin posted about listening to the seven “classic” albums last month. The only one I have on CD is Days of Future Past (which I did listen to last week). I used to have In Search of the Lost Chord years ago on cassette, but it’s been decades since I’ve even seen it. I’ve accumulated a lot of “points” at my LRS (Local Record Shop) lately, so I applied them to free used copies of In Search of the Lost Chord and On the threshold of a Dream (and, no, I haven’t listened t these yet, either). If my purpose holds, my LRS has used copies of the others as well.

CHICAGO: “LIVE RADIO 1980”: This one ended up being a bootleg of the worst possible quality. It sounds like a concert performance broadcast over the radio and recorded with a hand-held microphone. The track abruptly stops immediately when the music ends, then starts back up again when the music starts (usually a split second after). There’s no way Chicago would approve of such a release. I couldn’t imagine how such a thing could exist without the band taking legal action. Then I read some fine print on the packaging which may explain it. I noticed before I bought it that it was on a knock-off label (LASERMedia). What I didn’t notice is that it is a product of Omis, Cyprus. I post this as a warning: Don’t be fooled!

JANIS JOPLIN: Several years ago a friend of mine was making a mix of some music to listen to while he drove the length of (what used to be) Route 66. I had a lot of what he wanted, but there was one song by Janis Joplin that I didn’t. His request pointed out a deficiency in my record collection which I soon rectified. Prior to that, the only Joplin I owned was the first album by Big Brother and the Holding Company. I was listening to this “other” song yesterday, and I interpreted in a way I never had before.

PINK FLOYD: After watching the Doctor Strange movie a couple of weeks ago, I finally got around to queuing up “The Piper at the Gates of Dawn.” Good stuff, mostly, if a little uneven.

MOODY BLUES: I finally got around to listening to “In Search of the Lost Chord,” too, and guess what? No disc! I remember what happened. I made some new purchases in the same transaction and filled up a punch card. I also had another punch card already filled. (For every nine CDs you buy, you get a used CD free.) I had picked out two Moody Blues discs (see above), but in the midst of getting my cards punched, the clerk forgot to give me my discs and I didn’t notice. I knew they’d still be behind the counter, though, but the manager was so mortified he gave me three extra punches.

When I was nine or ten years old, I got a cassette player for my birthday. I also got to choose one cassette tape. (For the record, I chose Inna-Gadda-Da-Vida by the Iron Butterfly.) In addition, I soon “inherited” all of my older sister’s cassettes, which included Chicago at Carnegie Hall, Love It To Death by Alice Cooper, Brothers and Sisters by the Allman Brothers (a previous birthday present from me to my sister, picked out by my older brother), and the Broadway cast recording of Hair. (I still remember walking around the playground of my elementary school singing “Sodomy” at recess; I had no idea what I was singing about.)

In Search of the Lost Chord was also among them. I used to listen to that one quite a bit, but I know I haven’t heard it in at least 40 years. I haven’t thought of those songs in years, but when I listened to the CD, they all came flooding back. (This album taught me the word “tarmac.”)

BOB DYLAN: Today I am listening to the first disc of Biograph.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2018   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service