Report what comic books you have read today--and tell us a little something about it while you're here!

Views: 47965

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Marvels Epilogue

This was an unexpected treat from start to finish.  Anyone who liked the original Marvels series will most likely love this.

House of X #1

Hickman is off to a nice start.  Plenty of his trademark big ideas and world building.  I haven't been this enthusiastic about the X-Men in at least a decade.

Freedom Fighters #7

This continues to be a lot of fun.  Nothing to deep, but probably the best take on these characters ever. (Although that's not saying much)

I am also loving Freedom Fighters. I did notice, although I haven't yet read my copy, that #7 has a different art team. I hope it's only a one-month fill-in, because I thought Barrows's art really set the tone for the series.

Detective 445 said:

Freedom Fighters #7

This continues to be a lot of fun.  Nothing to deep, but probably the best take on these characters ever. (Although that's not saying much)

Flash 75 came out this week so I sat back and read 70-75 the Year One storyline. Joshua Williamson’s writing is up and down for me. This story I enjoyed which means the next one will be menza menza. Pretty much your standard origin story. I liked that his first rogue in this is the Turtle since he was the first costumed villain Barry fought. Also enjoyed the love that Central City has for the Flash which goes way back to the silver age also. Superman doesn’t even have a museum dedicated to him in Metropolis(or maybe he does and I don’t remember.). Iris is portrayed as a newspaper reporter closer to Lois Lane than she was in the silver age and I am OK with that.

Porter’s art has changed a lot from when I first saw it and I guess that goes back to Underworld Unleashed and JLA. There are a few panels that are kinda off where the heads are way to big for the bodies. Scott Kollins drew the first epilogue and I think he has become the artist I probably associate the Flash with after Carmine and Novick. I really liked his panel inside the Flash Museum.

Foundations are laid out for the future with a conversation with Steadfast and a page of what is becoming common, hinting to future storylines. The second epilogue is this Year of the Villian story that DC is leading up to and to be honest it was a little puzzling to me. A solid origin story arc and I hope Williamson is more consistent with his story telling.

MARVELS EPILOGUE: It’s been 25 years, but Busiek and Ross slipped back into the swing without missing a beat. The story is set circa X-Men #98, and the issue is rounded out with a Busiek/Ross interview.

MARVEL COMICS PRESENTS #6: This is a 2nd printing of the sold out issue of the first appearance of Wolverine’s daughter. I preferred the Deadpool story, a parody of the 1990s comic book field boom and bust. The issue is rounded out with a Danny Ketch Ghost Rider story.

HOUSE OF X #1: ‘Tec, I’m pleased to hear that you are enthusiastic about this relaunch. I am hoping you consider hosting a dedicated discussion as you did with Secret Empire a few years ago. I haven’t been this enthusiastic about the X-Men myself since Grant Morrison (not including a couple of false starts). My favorite part of this issue was the X-Men/FF “confrontation.”

FLASH #75: The “Year One” finale gives up yet another version of Wally West. (Was that really called for?)

Jeff of Earth-J said:

HOUSE OF X #1: ‘Tec, I’m pleased to hear that you are enthusiastic about this relaunch. I am hoping you consider hosting a dedicated discussion as you did with Secret Empire a few years ago.

I think I could manage that.  I'll try to work up some notes this afternoon.

Yay!

FANTASTIC FOUR #12: [SPOILERS] It’s been a while since I read FF regularly, so I thought I’d check out how the current team handles their version of a Hulk/Thing battle. Not bad, as it turns out, but I do have a few complaints (primarily from the first two pages). The first thing I noticed was visual: Reed Richards is now sporting a dark brown beard. I know everyone ages differently, but whereas I have a little grey around the temples, my beard started going grey a decade ago and is now completely grey. It just looks weird for Reed to have dark brown hair on the top of his head, a white swath all the way around, then a dark brown beard.

The second thing I noticed (after I started reading), was that the story takes place during the Thing’s “annual transmutation” into Ben Grimm. Huh? I’ve read hundreds of issues of FF and this is the first I’m hearing of this. That’s the first page.

On the second page, Ben and Alicia are off to their honeymoon, and Ben makes a joke about Johnny’s dead wife, to which Reed, Sue, Franklin and Valeria all snicker. Granted, “I Married a Skrull” may be something of a joke among fan circles, but that Johnny’s entire family would be so insensitive is just bad characterization for the sake of a cheap laugh.

Before I get to the main story, the letters page is entirely given over to readers to explain a recent gaff in continuity. John Byrne introduced Ben’s often-mentioned-but-never-before-seen Aunt Petunia, a surprisingly young woman, during his classic run. A recent story depicted the death of Aunt Petunia, a woman in her 80s. Four or five readers taxed their creativity to explain how this could be, but to me it smacks of a writer and editor being unaware of past continuity.

In the main story, the Puppet Master takes control of the Hulk to fight the Thing, oddly putting his own step-daughter in danger in the process. Their relationship is never mentioned which, given the “Aunt Petunia” situation, makes me questions whether or not the current creative team is even aware of it. The story is a classic scenario and might have been “done in one” were it not for a 10-page back-up story serving as lead-in to a spin-off series.

The story is okay if you don’t mind spending five bucks for a partial story. Just be sure to skip the first two pages.

I'm a little behind in reading the recent FF issues. When the Puppet Master and Alicia first appeared in Vol 1 FF #8, he showed basically no love for Alicia. I'm not aware of how this has been characterized over the many reboots.

I read Hit-Girl #5-6 earlier. It's a story arc by Jeff Lemire and Eduardo Risso. Mindy travels to Canada (in fact, the story is called "Canada") to locate drug dealer. This character isn't one I find particularly interesting, but the creative team makes it sing.

In the Fantastic Four Wedding Special, it was heavily implied that Alicia used the radioactive clay to control the Puppet Master when Ben visited him in prison to get his blessing.

Richard Willis said:

I'm a little behind in reading the recent FF issues. When the Puppet Master and Alicia first appeared in Vol 1 FF #8, he showed basically no love for Alicia. I'm not aware of how this has been characterized over the many reboots.

I bought Volume 3 of THE EPIC COLLECTION of X-MEN #47-66. I've just read a bit of it yet.

GREEN LANTERN ANNUAL #1: Take a family dynamic from the ‘60s (the Jordans), a super-hero from the ‘70s (Airwave), and art style from the ‘90s and mix liberally with grant Morrison. For good or ill, the result is probably almost exactly what you would expect.

MARVEL COMICS PRESENTS #7: Shipping one week after the second printing of #6, Wolverine’s “daughter” denies that she is, thus bringing an end to the speculator frenzy. (?) Maybe not, though. My LCS was still limiting the purchase to one per customer (not that I wanted more than one in the first place). Also: Iron Man meets “Sub-Prime Mortgage Man” in a truly bizarre tale set in 2008. The issue is rounded out by a story featuring the winter Soldier.

FIVE YEARS #3 & PAPER GIRLS #30: Girl power!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service