Report what comic books you have read today--and tell us a little something about it while you're here!

Views: 59850

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Also depends on if that rate of work was what he wanted at that point in his life. By this time he must have been wondering if he'd made a mistake. DC had pushed "Kirby is coming!" with the Fourth World, but it hadn't gone over that well, and he was no longer the big man on campus when he tried going back to Marvel.

Anyone else read the story making fun of how fast he drew comics in one of the Atlas horror titles?

I’m not privy to the finer points of Kirby’s contract negotiations with DC (of course), but I do know Carmine Infantino had to lobby hard to get DC’s higher-ups to even accept Kirby in the first place. It stands to reason that a guaranteed page count per month was an important part of those negotiations.

Speaking of Kirby, last night I re-read “The Pact” and “Himon.”

WEDNESDAY COMICS:

I have also decided to read at least one 12-part Wednesday Comics serial per day. As much as I liked Wednesday Comics upon its initial release, I do admit that by the end of the run I had lost the thread of several of the strips. Back in 2009, Kamandi was my favorite, and I suspect it will remain so. In the past two days, I have also read the Batman and Superman stories.

Batman: This is one of the ones I had lost the story thread by the end. I must admit it reads much better in a single sitting.

Superman: Initially, I thought the art was “too good” for a “mere” comics page. I still feel the format is overmatched for the artwork, but the artwork is stunningly beautiful.

I have been reading my way through old Legion of Super-Heroes issues. I bought some issues digitally to take on my trip last week. I'm reading "The Quiet Darkness" right now, and I didn't realize when I read it the first time--twenty-four years ago--how ahead of its time it really was.

Keith Giffen uses a very interesting method of storytelling where it's all very up-close. As in, there are no establishing shots whatsoever. It almost gives you the feeling that you are in the middle of this big city and all you can see is what's right in front of you. He doesn't explain stuff through narration boxes or anything like that. It's almost like you're overhearing people talking and trying to figure out what's going on through what is said and context. I think this may be the first time the Batch SW6 is mentioned.

This is the second time in a few months that someone's recommended The Quiet Darkness. I think it's about time I dug it out and gave it another look. It's been a few years since my last reread, and that was a sprawling effort, not a concentrated look at those issues. 

Meanwhile, I just read the first volume of Blacksad, and it really impressed me -- especially the gorgeous, expressive art. I'll have to pick up the next two volumes soon. They seem longer than the three stories in this first (Dark Horse) volume, and I look forward to seeing what the creators do on an even bigger canvas. 

I've also been reading a number of the Dollar Comics issues of World's Finest, as I've finally filled in my run (aside from one stray). I love how DC used these books to keep their lesser lights in the spotlight when they couldn't sustain their own book. I wish they'd do it again, but such a book would probably cost $5 or more. Would I pay that if there were only two features I was really sold on? Maybe...but maybe not.

Just finished reading Batman Earth One Volume Two. Just like the first volume, I enjoyed the different takes on the characters, and I always love Gary Frank's art.

It's really interesting. Normally when I go back and read something that hit me when I was in my teens, it's a little simpler and doesn't quite have the same punch as it did on my younger self. This, however, is every bit as much of a challenge (in a good way) to read as it was back then. I'm also bringing a greater sense of who the Legion is and was than I was at the time.

Seeing as how I started with issue #21, I'm still not sure what happened in the first twenty issues. I think I might have to go back and find those first issues after I'm finished with this. (I know, I'm a weird reader that way.) However, as far as I know, this seems like the first appearance of Furball (who, of course, turns out to be a former Legionnaire in an altered form). It's also kind of fun to see an older Lobo still running around, along with Darkseid.

Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) said:

This is the second time in a few months that someone's recommended The Quiet Darkness. I think it's about time I dug it out and gave it another look. It's been a few years since my last reread, and that was a sprawling effort, not a concentrated look at those issues. 

Wandering Sensei: Moderator Man said:

Seeing as how I started with issue #21, I'm still not sure what happened in the first twenty issues. I think I might have to go back and find those first issues after I'm finished with this. (I know, I'm a weird reader that way.) However, as far as I know, this seems like the first appearance of Furball (who, of course, turns out to be a former Legionnaire in an altered form). It's also kind of fun to see an older Lobo still running around, along with Darkseid.

The Bierbaum/Giffen "5 years later" Legion gets flack in some quarters but I remember it fondly. You're right that they were doing things ahead of their time. Looking back at it now, it really seems like a blueprint for a lot of the continuity shuffling that is now commonplace.

Richard Willis said:

Just finished reading Batman Earth One Volume Two. Just like the first volume, I enjoyed the different takes on the characters, and I always love Gary Frank's art.

Just read both volumes not too long ago. Really good, direct, minimalist storytelling. Nothing groundbreaking but it really felt like a fresh take to me.

I re-read two more features from Wednesday Comics:

Flash: It's no wonder I lost this story reading in weekly installments; I almost lost it reading all at once!

Green Lantern: Straightforward storytelling. I wish the movie would have been done this way (as a period piece woth no origin).

Captain Victory: I skipped issue 1-6 this time, but read #7-13. I've been in something of a Kirby mood lately.

Death of the New Gods: This is only the first time I've re-read it. I had forgotten more about it than I rememebered. It serves as an essential prelude to Final Crisis, yet is also it's "own thing."

"The Great Darkness Saga." Hmm...

Jeff of Earth-J said:

Do you have the Deluxe Hardcover? I picked it up a while back and found it to be a real treat. You get the core story plus all of the Levitz issues leading up to it including the Pat Broderick stuff. All of this material really shines with the deluxe makeover and new coloring. It was almost like reading it for the first time for me.

Just had to comment here Jeff, 

Ridiculous to the sublime!

I absolutely loathe Death of the New Gods and I was a Starlin fan. I really tried to like it but - I could determine no real story and once I noticed Starlin had drawn every character's head way too small for their bodies I couldn't concentrate. 

Look again. Awful.

Great Darkness Saga however is glorious! I have just read it on panel-by-panel view on kindle/tablet.  Highest recommendation.!

Jeff of Earth-J said:

Death of the New Gods: This is only the first time I've re-read it. I had forgotten more about it than I rememebered. It serves as an essential prelude to Final Crisis, yet is also it's "own thing."

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2022   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service