Report what comic books you have read today--and tell us a little something about it while you're here!

Views: 59850

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I put all my (comic book) reading projects on hiatus this past weekend and read Go Set a Watchman by Harper Lee.

Catching up on all the recent Valiant books. I'm really enjoying almost all of it so far.  I was a big fan of the early Valiant Shooter stuff and it seems like the current Valiant people are trying to stay true to the original vision. Tight continuity and strong storylines that pay tribute to the originals while also updating them. I just wish they had the rights to Solar and Magnus or would at least introduce analogues. It feels like something is missing without them.

MMW Sub-Mariner - Still on volume 2, closing in on the end of the TTA run.

The Phantom - Have moved on to King volume 1 (over-all volume 3)

MMW Not Brand Echh! - Not making much headway on this one, not even one story per day.

I read Southern Bastards #10. This book just keeps getting more and more compelling, somehow about a microcosm that is somehow seemingly even more micro than Jason Aaron's similar run on Scalped.

While we surely know at least the tone of the end of this story, we also can be comfortable knowing that we have many more stories to go before we get to that end. I love how Jason Aaron takes a close and intimate look at the tragic lives of some of his characters, even his irredeemable ones, making them somehow sympathetic while remaining nearly-pure assholes.

If you're not reading this, then I highly recommend it.

New Teen Titans v.1 on Kindle.
Kind of dated but in a cosy familiar way.
This is still worthy of the term 'classic'

Brian Bendis -Avengers An Oral History.

Picked this up from my local library - It Avengers surely I'd enjoy it?

Some good art pages from the 'Classic' reprint series and some of the collections but otherwise this is one long chat-around-the-table Bendis loves.

There are some annoying continuity choices made - the magnets used on Cap's shield are remembered but the fact that Cap did not remember his Invaders membership until years after his de-icing is forgotten.

I'm not a great Bendis fan and this is Bendis at his most indulgent !

Don't listen to chatting about the historic classics - pick up the Epic collection or the Essentials or even the excellent 'Earth's Mightiest Heroes' series...or...read the 'And there came another day' thread...?

Probably really best to ignore both of those ideas if you're making a history of the characters. Doesn't sound good explaining "Cap didn't remember he was in the Invaders back in the 1960s because the team was invented in the 1970s." Only real fans are going to care. People just wanting to read the history are going to roll their eyes and skip to something more interesting. And I only remember those magnets being mentioned twice, and the second time was when Cap said he'd already removed them. It's like making a history of Namor and describing his electric eel, puffer fish, and water sprinkler powers, then saying "but he hasn't used those powers in decades so we assume he doesn't really have them, so forget you just read this."

There is a book about the first 35 years or so of Saturday Night Live that is pretty much interviews and conversations with cast members over the years, with little added but what the actors and producers actually said. I own it, and it really is pretty fascinating. Evidently, Bendis pretty much copied this exact format while writing this book, and it clearly shows. I only read a few bits in the back of the comics as they came out, and this was indeed just Bendis having fun writing nothing but dialog without having to worry about what the pictures would look like or any story of his own. Indeed, this is Bendis indulging, for better or worse.

Richard Mantle said:

Brian Bendis -Avengers An Oral History.

Picked this up from my local library - It Avengers surely I'd enjoy it?

Some good art pages from the 'Classic' reprint series and some of the collections but otherwise this is one long chat-around-the-table Bendis loves.

There are some annoying continuity choices made - the magnets used on Cap's shield are remembered but the fact that Cap did not remember his Invaders membership until years after his de-icing is forgotten.

I'm not a great Bendis fan and this is Bendis at his most indulgent !

Don't listen to chatting about the historic classics - pick up the Epic collection or the Essentials or even the excellent 'Earth's Mightiest Heroes' series...or...read the 'And there came another day' thread...?

Guardians Team-Up #9: I haven't been buying this book since about the first one or two issues, but I wanted to grab this one because it was drawn by Javier Pulido. The work he did on Spider-Man's Brand New Day stories was really great; I remember a Sandman story that looked so unique. This features the team-up of Star-Lord and Spider-Man of sorts, and it wasn't bad. Star-Lord comes to Earth to track down his father's gun, which is on the black market in New York for some reason. Black Cat and Hydra get involved, and it gets really confusing. There are some extended silent scenes that are pretty well done. This issue is high on "quirky" and "precious", and a little slight on story, even though it does have its fair share of twists and turns. This is good for the novelty factor, which, if you're into that kind of thing, is a bullseye. If you're more like me, and you want a little more substance than cuteness, this may not be quite what you'd want in a story, even if it is pretty.

Or in this case - What I Haven't Read...
I blame Mr Philip Portelli -
- you see, I had NO interest in the new female Thor, Thunderstrike mixed with She-Hulk females-are-in-the-ascendancy I just wished someone would/could write an interesting male-Thor.
But then Mr P went, somewhere on this forum, and kind of recommended the first volume of this new Thor - because of her initially-secret identity.
It intrigued me and I remembered an old 'What-If' that I found on Comixcology and bought/'re-read.
I bought and very much enjoyed the first volume of this new Thor series, knowing the 'Secret'.
What I should therefore have read today was the second volume, the one before 'Secret Wars' and the one in which that secret is revealed...BUT...
There are only 3 issues reprinted in that volume, along with an Annual I know does not really connect to the main storyline and a reprint of THAT What-If that I've already bought!!
Arg Mr P.!!
So, I have bought the single issue #8 from Comixcology which I hope will be enough and fill the gap adequately.
It's a difficult thing this obsession of ours...

I recommended???

Thought I was grousing though my opinion has softened a bit.

Actually I have no real problem with a woman possessing Thor's power. I'm just not sure if she should be called "Thor" with the male Thor still, y'know, around.

"The Secret" was and still is the hardest part for me to wrap my head around. Was it obvious? Somewhat as they kept saying that it could NOT be her but it still makes little sense.

Richard Mantle said:

New Teen Titans v.1 on Kindle.
Kind of dated but in a cosy familiar way.
This is still worthy of the term 'classic'

I've been rereading this as well. I always think of this as one of my favrote series ever, but I realized I hadn't actually read these stories since I was 10 or 11. I found that I remembered almost nothing about the first year. Especially the Trigon story which I really didn't care for upon second reading. However, I think the book really got going in the second year with the Doom Patrol storyline and Wolfman and Perez really beinning to hit their stride.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2022   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service