Report what comic books you have read today--and tell us a little something about it while you're here!

Views: 47941

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That's definitely where I first saw them! (And also probably where I first saw the word "nostalgic"!)

Captain Comics said:

I may have mentioned this before, but I didn't know anything about the original Captain Marvel until the Roy Thomas Captain Marvel issues.

A little after the beginnings of comics fandom I started getting fanzines and became aware of Captain Marvel and the other Golden Age heroes. I’m pretty sure that Crisis on Earth One was my first experience of 1940s heroes. Roy Thomas was born in 1940, so was a youngster during the original CM run, and was one of the prominent fans who collectively coined the term Golden Age, which led to the term Silver Age.

I’m pretty sure that the first 1940s Captain Marvel story I ever read was the one reprinted in A Smithsonian Book of Comic-Book Comics, which was from Captain Marvel #100 (SEP49). This collection wasn’t published until 1981. I had Steranko's History earlier but don't think it contains any actual stories.

I don’t remember reading Marvel’s Captain Marvel #17, introducing his negative zone link to Rick Jones. I think I first encountered this in the TPB collection of the Kree-Skrull War.

And thanks, everyone, for adding to my reading list. I'll be looking for Redfields, Faithless and Spider-Man: Life Story.

When I go to my LCS this week I’ll be adding Spider-Man: Life Story to my pull list. I may have to order issue #1 if they sold out.

This was one of two or three Mad mass-market paperbacks that reprinted stories from the original Mad comics. This one, as I understand it, was published in 1958. At that time I was buying the Weisinger books but had no knowledge of other heroes, let alone Golden Age heroes. I probably read the SuperduperMan vs Captain Marbles story without ever having heard of Captain Marvel.

Somehow, I missed the question.

"What was my first Captain Marvel (Shazam) experience?"

Not until DC gained ownership and revived the character in the 1970s did I even know "The Big Red Cheese" even existed.

As for "The Other Guy", I didn't start Marvels until much later, so it wasn't until a Marvel Premiere or whatever tryout book the Kree version got a spotlight in before I discovered him, but always considered the name a rip off of DC/Fawcett.

Did love Monica Rambeau though, and was glad they changed her name.

Right. The Question.

I mean, Captain "Shazam" Marvel.

I'm pretty sure I encountered the Mad's "Captain Marbles," first, without knowing he was a parody. Then I got my hands on Jules Feiffer's The Great Comic Book Heroes, when I was not quite old enough to fully understand the essay parts (which I read), but certainly old enough to grasp the basic history and read the cool reprints (I still have that book). Soon thereafter, Shazam! hit the Saturday morning TV. Didn't follow it too closely after the first season, as I was getting a bit older and of course they changed the actor who played the Captain. They did add Isis, however.

To follow up, Feiffer’s book (1965) includes a one reprint which I assume is from Whiz #2 which explains who Captain Marvel is — boy, they packed a lot into one page back then.  The page is accompanied by a note: “This excerpt will, hopefully, give the flavor of Captain Marvel.  More can not be printed without unsettling the settlement between Clark Kent and Billy Batson.  We thank J. S. Liebowitz, President of National Periodicals, Inc., for permission to reprint, for historical purposes, the following matter.  Our excerpt, unfortunately, must end where Captain Marvel begins...”

Additionally, Les Daniels’ Comix: A History of Comic Books in America (1971) includes a discussion of Captain Marvel.

As an interesting coincidence, I used the convoluted history of Captain Marvel/Shazam as an example in class today in my lecture on intellectual property and trademark. I didn’t subject the students to Marvel/Miracleman etc. I kept it simple; well, as simple as this thing can be.  I hope the recent movies made this example a little bit more “real” for the students. I’ll find out in two weeks when it’s time for the final exam.

JD DeLuzio said:

Right. The Question.

I'm pretty sure I encountered the Mad's "Captain Marbles," first, without knowing he was a parody. Then I got my hands on Jules Feiffer's The Great Comic Book Heroes, when I was not quite old enough to fully understand the essay parts (which I read), but certainly old enough to grasp the basic history and read the cool reprints (I still have that book). Soon thereafter, Shazam! hit the Saturday morning TV. Didn't follow it too closely after the first season, as I was getting a bit older and of course they changed the actor who played the Captain. They did add Isis, however.

Here is the bottom two thirds of the page reprinted in Feiffer’s book.

So, this may be my first introduction to Captain Marvel, although my parents did mention him from time to time as they had read comics in the 1940s and made sure I had plenty in the 1960s.

I should mention that I'd hear the Beatles' "White Album" by then, though I don't think I processed that they were mentioning this character in "The Continuing Story of Bungalow Bill."

JD DeLuzio said:

Right. The Question.

That's my experience exactly! 

As I said earlier, I was inspired by the comments of Jeff and John to buy Spider-Man: Life Story. I was lucky that my LCS had both issues 1 and 2, which I just finished reading. I have minor quibbles with the 1966 setting of war protests and dirty looks Flash describes being directed at him in uniform. I suppose this may have happened this early in isolated areas of the country, but it certainly wasn’t widespread in 1966, the year I graduated high school. I understand that my high school had protests a couple of years later. The fashion of blaming the generally helpless soldiers for the perceived illegality of the war came along later. In 1968 after I received my “greetings” I walked around in Los Angeles in uniform and never had any problems whatsoever.

Having said all this, I greatly enjoyed the Watchmen-style tinkering with characters and events. Things were surprising and yet plausible. I can’t wait for the next four issues.

MAJOR X #2: I was prepared to go into issue #2 with my brand-spankin’ new attitude when I discovered Liefeld didn’t even do the art. He bailed after a single issue. I feel cheated!

PLANET OF THE NERDS #1: I liked this this one. The art is really interesting, what I would describe as a cross between Kevin Maguire and Ed Piskor (if you can imagine such a thing). I came to the end of this issue way too soon.

SPIDER-MAN LIFE STORY #2: [SPOILERS] This series deviates quickly from established continuity (and reality) and I imagine it will continue to do so as the series goes on. The story spans the years 1977 and 1978 when Peter is in his early 30s. He works for Reed Richards and is married to Gwen Stacy, who works for Miles Warren. Norman Osborn is in prison, and Harry is a rich (if not happy) businessman who is dating Mary Jane Watson. By the story’s end, Harry has assumed his father’s mantle as the Black Goblin. Gwen Stacy does die (but not in the way we are familiar with), and there are clones of Peter and Gwen, whose ultimate fate likewise varies from what we might expect.

MMW AVENGERS: This volume contains the infamous issue #200, a.k.a. “The Rape of Ms. Marvel.” The introduction is written by Davis Michelinie. He doesn’t make excuses for it, but he does suggest that some unnamed writer or editor may have overheard office chatter about his proposed plot and inadvertently used it in an issue of What If…?

Marvel released a whole bunch of Ms. Marvel stories in their $1 True Believers line recently and while they did not choose Avengers #200 (big shock there!), they did include Avengers Annual #10 retitled "Captain Marvel Betrayed!" 

Claremont didn't have to add anything to Carol Danvers' ordeal but, to be fair, the Avengers did have concerns over her pregnancy (at least, Cap and Iron Man did) and Hawkeye was right when Carol said that she wanted to go back to Limbo with Marcus. They might have missed the "subtle boost" bit or not fully understood it but they did follow her wishes. For the wrong reasons but could they have stopped her either way?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service