Report what comic books you have read today--and tell us a little something about it while you're here!

Views: 54391

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

"Now more than ever, whenever I see one I wich he'd just get on with the main story."

Agreed. Also, I think (hope) this story is reaching a conclusion. 

PRINCE VALIANT:

Val, a (not-always-so) humble squire, is ineligible to compete in the great tournament. He pleads with Arthur to send him on a quest so that he might become a knight, but the King puts him off. Secretly, Val gathers together and repairs bits of abandoned armor and paints it all white, the sign f an untried knight. On the day of the tournament, a silent white knight enters wearing second hand armor and riding a borrowed charger. After narrowly surviving elimination in the grand melee, Val boldly challenges sir Tristram, second only to Launcelot, to individual battle in the challenge round.

As one might expect, he hets his ass handed to him. He also loses his helmet and is jeered at by his fellow squires, who are jealous. Tristram is impressed, however, and so is King Arthur, who asked that Prince Valiant be brought before him. But, in his shame, Val has already slunk off.

LITTLE ORPHAN ANNIE – JULY 1932:

Warbucks and Trixie finally have a falling out. Annie thinks things would be better between them if she were out of the picture, so she resolves to run away. But Trixie sees her packing, however, and Annie overhears her rejoicing over the phone to one of her friends so she decides to stay.

Jackal’s plan is for separation (which he refers to as “separate maintenance with heavy alimony”) rather than divorce. Trixie brags to her friend Gypsy Gay, and Gypsy puts her down, thereby ending their friendship. Both Trixie and Jackal fantasize about how they’ll spend Warbucks’ dough.

Jackel presents the case to Warbucks on a Monday. Warbucks asks for a couple of days to think it over. On Tuesday, he has Jackal investigated. On Wednesday, he knocks the crap out of him. On Thursday Jackal sues, but Warbucks has evidence of past shady dealings against him. By Saturday, Jackel is on a ship to Europe for good.

After that, Oliver has a bit of a nervous breakdown (which he refers to as “the jitters”). Dr. Ganglion prescribes rest and relaxation. Warbucks decides to take a sea voyage, but not on his yacht, on a square-rigged sailboat with no radio. Trixie imagines a world cruise and couldn’t care less if Warbucks gets “the jitters.”

I don’t remember specifically how Trixie is written out of the story, but her days are numbered.

“I noticed when I was at my LCS on Saturday that this series is now a 5 dollar book, so I needed to decide if I wanted to continue with the series.”

That’s a decision I’m considering for nearly every series I read. Honestly. As I mentioned a couple of weeks ago, there will always be good comics. But, one has to stop sometime. (Until recently, that’s a point of view I would not have even considered.) I’ll never stop buying comics completely (and don’t intend to), but I may well stop buying periodical comic books in the near future.

X-MEN — GRAND DESIGN: SECOND GENESIS #2: This is another comic I read and enjoyed recently. This installment takes us up nearly to Uncanny X-Men #200. Odd changes to canon this issue include substituting Madelyn Pyror for Lee Forrester in Cyclops’ romantic life. This also issue did a good job of smoothing out the tangled skein of Carol Danvers’ backstory.

MARVEL MASTERWORKS MS. MARVEL: I like the convoluted “unique-to-comic-books” aspect of Carol Danvers’ story as collected in two seminal volumes of Marvel Masterworks. If you haven’t seen it, Ms. Marvel’s series ended with issue #23. A 24th and 25th were planned (the cover of #24 is presented in volume two), but not published until years later.

The character’s next significant appearance (outside of the Avengers main title) would have been Avengers Annual #10, which was written as if Ms. Marvel #24-25 had been published. MMW Ms. Marvel Vol. 2 presents all of these stories (plus key pages of Avengers dealing with Carol Danvers’ pregnancy) out of publication order but rather in the chronological order of how these stories happened.

It reads a lot better that way.

I'll have to give Britannia a try, Cap -- that sounds like a lot of fun. I liked Seeds more than you did, though -- it's just the sort of measured dystopia I enjoy, and with its no-tech zone, it reminds me somewhat of the movie Stalker, which has become a lens through which I view a lot of fiction like this since I watched it last year. 

One question about Britannia -- since I think this is the issue that kept me away from it when I first heard about it -- is it connected to the rest of the Valiant Universe? I've heard good things about the Valiant books, but another universe is the last thing I need to be diving into right now. Basically, if it's not a DC book at the moment (or Marvel via Marvel Unlimited), I like my comics self-contained. 

I don't recall any connection between Brittania and the rest of the Valiant Universe, Rob. After all, the VU takes place in the present, and Brittania takes place around 6 A.D. So if there is any oblique mention, it's not signficant. It's just historical fiction, which I love.

As to Seeds, I confess I was pretty close to enraged by the misrepresentation of journalism through the first two issues ("two sides to every story," the fake-news newspaper). I have always accepted that my  profession, like every other, is misrepresented in fiction. But with the current assault on that profession directly from the White House and Congress, the casual smearing in this book takes on added weight. A profession under siege needs support, not a cynical piling-on, or it may not be there for Seeds, in whatever near future it takes place.

So that may have predisposed me to dislike Seeds, whatever other story it tells.

I didn’t read any comic strips yesterday, but I did read some new comic books.

MARVEL MASTERWORKS KILLRAVEN: Don McGregor wrote a revealing eight page introduction to this volume. This volume contains all of the Killraven stories from Amazing Adventures plus the graphic novel. McGregor didn’t know Amazing Adventures #39 would be the last issue at the time he wrote it. When he wrote the graphic novel, his intention was not to resolve the Earth/Mars war, but rather the story arc he had been working on at the time the series was cancelled.

In the ‘90s, McGregor was hired to bring the war to an end and the series to a close. The serial was to have appeared in Marvel Comics Presents (this was around the time he and Gene Colan were doing “Panther’s Quest” in MCP), but P. Craig Russell wanted to do it in a better format. The EIC wouldn’t approve it, but the script is complete, waiting to be illustrated.

DICK TRACY DEAD OR ALIVE #1: This comic confirmed to me that no one other than Chester Gould can do Dick Tracy. That doesn’t necessarily mean I didn’t like it. It is so different from what I think of as “Dick Tracy” that, under other circumstances, I would suggest that the creative team involved simply create their own comic book detective and be done with it. However, I do like to see other interpretations.

STRANGERS IN PARADISE #6: Up until now, the story has focused on Katchoo. In this issue, we get to see what Francine is up to.

I also read Mister Miracle #11 and Immortal Hulk #6.

Curse Words, Vol. 3: The Hole Damned World
Charles Soule, writer; Ryan Browne, artist
Image Comics, 2018

Action on several fronts in this collection. Margaret has been captured by some black ops government group hoping to get an edge on Wizord. Wizord discovers that Ruby Stitch has not only survived their earlier battle, but she has her magic back--and aims to take over his consulting wizard business. Jacques Zacques has arrived at the Hole World on his suicide mission, but holds off until he can see his children. Little by little the demon Sizzajee recruits him to the motley team of sorcerers (whose numbers keep decreasing). In the end Margaret discovers a shocking secret about her parents, and Jacques (who has been played for laughs as a patsy the whole time) emerges as a possible major driver of the action. Sizzajee is sending him back to Earth, and he is hungry for revenge. Through all of this the action and dialog continue to be alternately hilarious and absurd, as they have throughout the series.

...Recently, I read the comics portion of that humongous Titan art book collecting both of the two never- published attempts at adapting Patrick McGoohan's THE PRISONER that Marvel commissioned in the 70s, one by Jack Kirby with Mike Writer inks on a few pages, the other by Don McGregor and Gil Kane. Both are the same story, an adaptation of the first episode. Both are pencils-only except for the few pages of Kirby Router inked, Both do have fully readable word balloons to allow you to follow the story fully - I believe 109% new in the Kane story.
I never knew that the bubble thingys that pursue and envelop those who try to leave the Village were called Rovers. The image of them has always stayed with me. I was a bit young for TP in its initial US CBS run (my father liked it) and never really sought the whole thing out in subsequent years. The Rovers plot angle is entirely left out of Kirby's adaptation. Both are full stories - Funny enough, the done-earlier Kirby one is a page shorter, at 17 pages, than Engelkane's, at a whopping 18 pages!!!!!! Do, uh, " little people " (Persons who are unusually short - Apparently. " midget " is considered insulting now, just as once-proper terms for minorities " hermaphrodite ", "Negro ", and "retarded " are? Aside from the medical distinction between " midget " and " dwarfism " little persons.) find the constant use of LP as " a bizarre detail " small role - the servant of the forever-changing was-it-called " Number One "?? of the Village was a lp, the only continuing actor in the series other than McGoohan - an obnoxious stereotype, " Oh, well, it's a gig. Exposure. For us. $. For me. " or whatnot?????
...I put the above up incomplete because I seemed in danger of losing it entirely. Likewise, I believe this phone " corrected " Mike Royer's surname - two different ways!!!!!!! Plus a couple other mild fubars that I'd think you could see past. Continuing...I was set on this after buying the first ish of the Titan TP mini-series set in modern times - which I liked, but decided to trade-wait for ( It was in the standard Yank comic book size - Was it given a publication in the UK in that distinctive Brit-market format of bigger-paged anthologies with shorter stories? I've seen other UK stuff published in Albion that way in magazine form, while our magazine is in our format, 2-3 Brit installments in a smaller - pages funny book.)...which ran the big Kirby-Royer spread from Jack's story as one of its covers - then, funnily enough, placing the UPC box where it covered up much of K-R's signatures!!!!!!!!! Funny little island. No covers for either story, I guess those would have been done later in the process.
I knew of the Kirby version in the Seventies, IIRC...but how much of either one got even unofficially/promotionally/" semi- legally " - or just flat-out bootlegged - published before? I was going to post about this after I bought the Titan I think before I even saw this. There's plentyo' text and photo material, some if which I didn't read(A reconstruction?? of Engelhart's original script. (I just realized I wrote " Don McGregor " rather than Steve's tag at least once above. EEEEEEEEEEK! I sorta, um, associate them, and Steve Gerber, together, as scribes who rather symbolized a certain era. In case it's too late to correct...
...the above. Another " Let's not lose ANOTHER draft. " premature post! Anyway...) Gil's art kept his obsession with flailing nostrils in check!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service