Report what comic books you have read today--and tell us a little something about it while you're here!

Views: 52716

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I haven't been on here nearly as much as I had before, mostly because I'm not really reading stuff that most folks around here would like. That said, I thought I would put some thoughts out there on some of the stuff I have been reading, because I am really loving it:

The Leopard From Lime Street: This one took me a little while to get through, but it was worth it. It's about a boy from a British village named Billy Farmer who dresses up as a Leopard at night and fights crime. Think Peter Parker, only younger a little and nothing really too grim going on. It's a book full of 2-4 page stories. It's a lot of fun. Written by Tom Tully and drawn by Mike Western and Eric Bradbury--whose names meant nothing to me. Remember that Knight and Squire book from awhile back, where it was all like the British version of Batman, with nothing really awful going on until the final issue, when suddenly the Joker showed up and ruined all the fun for everyone? It's like that, only without the Joker at the end. Possible drawback for people here: It's all in black and white, so not sure how everyone would feel about that.

Herakles Book 1: I actually have already purchased all three books in this trilogy, but this is another retelling of the legend of Hercules from the writer/artist Edouard Cour. Cour is a French writer and illustrator, and he brings the story (at least the first third of it) to beautiful light here. There is a tinge of humor thrown throughout the pages, but for the most part, it's a retelling of his labors up through killing the boar. The real star here, though, is Cour's artwork. I bought this trilogy one night last weekend of quarantine because Magnetic Press was having a sale. I may or may not have bought something else already.

Mort Cinder: I have to admit I am only a little way through this one, because it is pretty dense. This book comes from Fantagraphics, and it is an old serialized comic story which I knew nothing about until I saw it pop up in Fantagraphics. This makes me both happy and sad. The reason it makes me sad is the fact that this isn't a bigger thing than it is, in that it's not more well known. Alberto Breccia wrote and drew this story from 1962-1964! And look at it!

Every freakin' panel of this book is THIS GOOD. (And again, it's in black and white, but hopefully everyone can get over that if it's an issue for you.) It's about a guy who comes back from the dead quite often (as I said, it's dense and I'm not all that far into it yet) and an older gentleman who travel through time, where they meet up with ancient civilizations. Egypt, old cemeteries, and old Babylonian royalty are among the settings and people he has met so far. As I said, it is dense, but you are going to want to stare at the artwork so much you may forget about the words anyway.

So that's been me lately. Hopefully everyone is weathering the storm.

PROJECTS: Sometimes I like to read deep, thought-provoking comics; other times, not so much. Usually I settle into three different “projects” at a given time, and I like to make those as diverse as possible. Currently, I am reading…

HAWKMAN: Golden Age at the moment, but I plan to move to Silver Age and beyond. I think I will start a “Hawkman” discussion.

DARK SHADOWS (GOLD KEY): This is my second time through this series since it has been collected. I’m up to volume two, issues #8-14.

TINTIN: This has its own discussion as well, but over the weekend I read “The Seven Crystal Balls” and “Prisoners of the Sun.”

“NEW” COMICS: I have been rationing new purchases from March like a squirrel hoarding nuts for the winter. With the end of the famine in sight, I read the last of those over the weekend. Specifically…

AHOY! COMICS: Dragonfly & Dragonflyman #5, Edgar Allan Poe’s Snifter of Terror, Season Two #6 and Captain Ginger #2.

OTHER:

CEREBUS IN HELL?: It seems every time I delve into my stack of accumulated new comics there are six of these piled up. I may have said this before, but I don’t even know why I continue to buy this title. I don’t foresee a time when I will ever re-read it. Honestly, I think the only reason I continue to buy it is because I bailed on Cerebus Archives (a comic-sized magazine) and Following Cerebus a month or two before they ceased publication, and the completist in me is expecting Cerebus in Hell? to be cancelled any month now.

The format has changed slightly in the past six months. Sim is getting away from the Dante/Virgil/Inferno motif and branching out into “themed” issues. The cover parodies really have been the best thing about this series, and now the jokes inside have been based around that theme. So there’s that. But still, an entire issue dedicated to jokes about Elon Musk and Tesla or how much Arby’s tastes like zombie meat is a little much.

SECRET SOCIETY OF SUPER-VILLAINS v2 (#16-“18”, JLA #166-8, et al): Two weeks ago I forced myself through volume one of this collection after eight years of being stuck in the middle of it, only to move on to volume two and get stuck in the middle of that. Still, based on the precept “Buying new comics and not reading them is stupid,” I forced myself to finish it. It is slightly better than volume one, but that’s damning with faint praise. The volume starts with a couple of one-off stories that are not presented in strictly chronological order, but I can see that they read better than they would have if they had been.

The rest of the volume collects SSSV #16-18 (after a fashion) and JLA #166-168 (where dangling plot-threads were tied up after the series cancellation. Issue #16 was the last issue of the series proper; #17 appeared in “Cancelled Comics Cavalcade”; #18 was presented as uninked pencil form (but lettered). Also, my personal copy includes an article written by Bob Rozakis about the lost back-up features (which I had copied from somewhere and forgot I placed between the pages of SSSV #18 and JLA #166).

Cerebus in Hell? and SSSV will be the last two “crap books” I will be reading for the foreseeable future.

When you get to your Hawkman discussion Jeff, what I find interesting is that out of all the 80th anniversaries DC is/plans to celebrate this year, the Winged Wonder's doesn't seem to be among them.

I haven't been on here nearly as much as I had before, mostly because I'm not really reading stuff that most folks around here would like. That said, I thought I would put some thoughts out there on some of the stuff I have been reading, because I am really loving it

WS,I enjoy hearing about the lesser known stuff. In some ways I prefer it. I keep up pretty well with most of the big 2, and a lot of what goes on at like Dark Horse, Image. IDW and those size publishers. Its when you get smaller than that it gets hard to keep up with. Posts like yours give me something to look into even if I don't comment. You and the other Legionnaires rarely disappoint.

"I enjoy hearing about the lesser known stuff."

Ditto. Same goes for Mark Sullivan's reviews. I read almost none of that stuff, but I enjoy reading about it.

Well cool, fellas! I will continue to let you know what I'm reading, knowing that it's at least not falling on deaf ears. It really does help knowing that people at least read it.

I read everyone else's even though I don't comment also, so I'm not sure why I figured no one was reading mine. I think the stuff I have been reading more and more is just so far out there from the typical Marvel/DC/Image/Dark Horse/etc. that no one would possibly be interested in it here.

I still do read some DC, Image, and DH, but it's a smaller and smaller fraction of the total.

More talk about kooky, lesser-read material coming your way! :)

ARCHIE #600-609: This includes the Archie Marries Veronica and Archie Marries Betty storylines that led to the magazine. There were so many subplots introduced here, not least of all was Jughead marrying Midge and the disappearance of Dilton. Cute touch was Archie's lawyer being Tommy Troy and his head of security being Joe Higgins!

It ended with high school Archie sort of remembering his "marriages" and striving to make one of these futures come true. The same issue also saw Archie want to break a date with Veronica to see a new girl! 

Archie is a man-tramp!

Then we conclude with another "imaginary story" where Archie falls in love with and marries Valerie from Josie & the Pussycats, forgetting his feelings for Betty and Veronica! 

Archie is a man-tramp!

While looking for covers for the "A Cover a Day" thread I stumbled upon something I don't remember hearing about previously. "Gotham City Garage" was an (not called that) Elseworlds title that has the DC women, and presumably some of the men, involved in a garage and motorcycle riding. The biggest hook for me is that Kara Zor-El was adopted by James Gordon! (and of course Lex Luthor is the Big Bad.) It was collected in two TPB which will be arriving at my home soon.

Good to know, thanks. I occasionally get some discussion on my review threads, but it's nice to hear that there are regular readers beyond that.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

Ditto. Same goes for Mark Sullivan's reviews. I read almost none of that stuff, but I enjoy reading about it.

Count me in as well.  I rarely comment, but it still fun to read about all the stuff that is out there.  Every once in a while I even pick something up based on a review (e.g., Dragonflyman).

Jeff of Earth-J said:

Recently for me:

Hostage - This by some Guy Delisle, one of my favorite creators going. Every other work I've read by him has been autobiographical I believe. This is the true story of Christophe André, who was kidnapped from Ingushetia,  (a repbulic in Russia) and taken to Chechnya. From there we go through a lot of Christophe's captivity, and the monotony of it. His little victories. His great uncertainties. Being moved and not knowing why. His hope being dashed. Deslise does an excellent job of making the tedium of being a hostage interesting. I thought this was just terrific. This is another one that tops out over 400 pages, and I knocked it out over a 2 day period. Highly recommended.

From DC I read The Creeper by Steve Ditko - Which as the title implies reprints all of the Steve Ditko Creeper stories. Including Showcase #106, which only saw print before in Cancelled Comic Cavalcade. These are pretty fun stories. I also enjoyed the evolution of Ditko's art that get cartoonier as the stories go along.

Finally, Minor Miracle by Will Eisner. This was a neat little book that has a few stories in it. My favorite was the second one, and the shortest, involving a pair of kids trying not to get beat-up when they enter a hostile neighborhood. Its Eisner, so it is going to be good.

One thing I liked about this book was how well it conveyed his confusion and his boredom. I felt bored for him while I was reading it without feeling bored myself, if that makes sense.

Travis Herrick (Modular Mod) said:

Hostage - This by some Guy Delisle, one of my favorite creators going. Every other work I've read by him has been autobiographical I believe. This is the true story of Christophe André, who was kidnapped from Ingushetia,  (a repbulic in Russia) and taken to Chechnya. From there we go through a lot of Christophe's captivity, and the monotony of it. His little victories. His great uncertainties. Being moved and not knowing why. His hope being dashed. Deslise does an excellent job of making the tedium of being a hostage interesting. I thought this was just terrific. This is another one that tops out over 400 pages, and I knocked it out over a 2 day period. Highly recommended.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service