As some of you know, I fell off the DC comp list with The New 52, and decided that was a sign from Zeus to start trade-waiting. And with the April solicits, I see decision time has arrived.

That is to say: Which trades or HCs will I buy? I'm certainly not going to pop for all 52, so I have to pick and choose. So let me ask you, Legionnaires:

• Which titles are so intrinsic to New 52 continuity that they are musts?
  • Which titles are just so flaming good that they are musts?
  • Which titles lend themselves to collections the best?
  • Which titles can be "safely" skipped?
  • Which titles are YOU buying?

And so forth. Sound off, folks! Which New 52 titles would you choose for the Captain Comics bookshelf?

Views: 5601

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm enjoying Superman/Wonder Woman if for no other reason than it's untrod territory. Both of their "families" make the worst drunk uncle in our families look tame, and then there's the reaction of the rest of the world. (Which borders on terror.) That's a lot of pressure on the relationship, which is never good. But on the other hand, they are two isolated, unique individuals who are very, very lonely and have completely different experiences and world-views to share. Just seeing them show each other how they live is, dare I say it, kinda cute and romantic. So that pushes them together.

Pretty good so far.

Kurt Busiek has a similar story line going between Astro City 7-10 featuring Winged Victory and the Samaritan.

I may have to check that one out.

Ironically, Wonder Woman is the one book I've read all the way through from the DCNu. I'm not looking forward to seeing a different artistic take on Wonder Woman's family.

I checked this out, and that is some good Superman.  I like that they've gone back to his roots, as I never felt Morrison stayed with young Superman for enough time.

Aquaman wasn't bad either.

John Dunbar (the mod of maple) said:

I'm enjoying the new creative team on Action Comics.  Greg Pak and Aaron Kuder started out in November with #25.  For that matter, I'm also a fan of Greg Pak's work on Batman/Superman with Jae Lee.

I agree. I wanted more of young Superman, because as soon as he grew up, he became the guy we've already read about for decades. That seems like a lost opportunity to me.

Maybe they figured it was the Superboy problem--anything that happened to the young one should be known by the older one, even when it hadn't happened yet. Plus, it's better to have two versions of the same guy than one where we know what he'll be like in 5 years.

While I have often heralded the divisive Wonder Woman as my favorite DCNu book--and it is by a long shot--I can't imagine starting to read it at the current issues. You would need to start from the beginning on this one; I'm almost certain.

Wow, that's pretty significant, coming from someone who thinks that's DC's best book. "It's great--but don't start reading it unless you can get back issues." That makes it pretty clear it's not actually created to be read as a periodical, and that's a shame. It's hard to get new readers that keep it going in that case.

-- MSA

I'd agree about Wonder Woman. It's important to start at the beginning with that one. Luckily, between hardcovers, trades, and digital, back issues aren't the obstacle they used to be.

I have to concur about Wonder Woman myself. It's tremendously continuity heavy.

Ha, well, "DC's best book" is certainly damning with feint praise, in my humble. But it really is by far the best, and I believe it is due in no small part to the amount of payoff you get from the whole family tree that has been created in this iteration of the book. While I have yet to read the antecedent, I have heard that this structure is similar to Game of Thrones. You wouldn't want to start that series at book four.

Mr. Silver Age said:

Wow, that's pretty significant, coming from someone who thinks that's DC's best book. "It's great--but don't start reading it unless you can get back issues." That makes it pretty clear it's not actually created to be read as a periodical, and that's a shame. It's hard to get new readers that keep it going in that case.

-- MSA

You wouldn't want to start that series at book four. 

True, but I wouldn't want to read Game of Thrones one chapter per month, either, I'd wait for each full book.

It's a risky approach, as by design you won't pick up new readers as you go, they'll only drop off. New ones will only come via TPBs, etc. starting at the beginning, and they probably won't shift once they catch up. But, as you guys note, the complexity can add appeal that you can't get otherwise--as long as the periodicals can support themselves or serve as a loss-leader for later TPB sales.

-- MSA

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service