As some of you know, I fell off the DC comp list with The New 52, and decided that was a sign from Zeus to start trade-waiting. And with the April solicits, I see decision time has arrived.

That is to say: Which trades or HCs will I buy? I'm certainly not going to pop for all 52, so I have to pick and choose. So let me ask you, Legionnaires:

• Which titles are so intrinsic to New 52 continuity that they are musts?
  • Which titles are just so flaming good that they are musts?
  • Which titles lend themselves to collections the best?
  • Which titles can be "safely" skipped?
  • Which titles are YOU buying?

And so forth. Sound off, folks! Which New 52 titles would you choose for the Captain Comics bookshelf?

Views: 5634

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes, so many 90s comics defy disbelief, and I mean it in all the wrong ways.  At times I actually felt for the poor writers and pencilers who had to endure the whole book.  I knew I did not want to do the same.

The comics industry is a strange medium. I wouldn't expect current readers of comics' titles would know about comics from 20 years ago, much less have read them, and yet I'll bet a large proportion do.

Is there anybody going into a bookstore, much less a comics store, and saying, "Hmm, comics. Maybe I should try one," and then coming back for a SECOND one? How does someone start reading comics today?

-- MSA

Now we have Spider-man/Ultimate Spider-man, Iron Man/War Machine, Thor/Clor, Fanstastic Four/FF, Hulk/Red Hulk/She-Hulk/Red She-Hulk, X-men/X-Factor/X-Force/the time travelling X-men then of course Avengers/Secret Avengers/Young Avengers/Uncanny Avengers are the Dark Avengers still running around?

I think USAgent might be back as well...

I actually liked Chis Masterson - Thor II as well, he had a personality which I always saw Thor as a two-dimensional guy. I need him in the Avengers, but his solo series I've always found pretty bland.

Philip Portelli said:

And Marvel decided to have TWO of every character: Spider-Man/Venom, Thor/Thunderstrike, Iron Man/War Machine, Captain America/USAgent, Fantastic Four/Fantastic Force, X-Men/X Factor/X-Force, etc!

And DC managed to kill or cripple or corrupt all their main characters!

I'm with the Captain here!

Philip Portelli said:

I don't know about THIS guy but I will admit that I liked Thunderstrike when he was Thor II but when they gave him that thunder-mace and ponytail, they lost me!

Figserello said:

But the blow-ins would have been prepared to get PRAGMATIC on their ass, and do WHATEVER IT TAKES to GET THE JOB DONE!!!!

Is this real?  photo eek.gif I mean, is this really real? Not a dream, a hoax, or an imaginary story?

Yes it is. He had a mini-series a couple of years back. Although this was Eric Masterson's son, but I don't recall his name.

ClarkKent_DC said:

Philip Portelli said:

I don't know about THIS guy but I will admit that I liked Thunderstrike when he was Thor II but when they gave him that thunder-mace and ponytail, they lost me!

Figserello said:

But the blow-ins would have been prepared to get PRAGMATIC on their ass, and do WHATEVER IT TAKES to GET THE JOB DONE!!!!

Is this real?  photo eek.gif I mean, is this really real? Not a dream, a hoax, or an imaginary story?

That cover was sort of a joke (along the lines of Kitty Pride's "disco" costume). The enchantment of his father's hammer (or mace) was such that it transformed Masterson's son into an adult body, but his subconscious controlled his "look". This was the one he settled on:

Mr. Silver Age said:

How does someone start reading comics today?

In my own experience, comics always was a niche market. All through elementary school, junior high and high school I did not know a single person other than myself who read comics. (And you might as well extend that through college as well.) In answer to the question, I have been making age- and interest-appropriate comic books available to my friends’ and co-workers’ kids for as long as they have been having kids. (Currently, that includes two sets of three, with another set of two waiting in the wings.) So far, nothing has stuck with my tyros beyond adolescence, but for as long as they are interested in them, they are as excited about them as I ever was.

Beyond that, I don’t know. Used to be, a comic book was a quick and inexpensive impulse item in the grocery store check-out lane, but now, not only are they no longer cheap, they’re no longer readily available.

Mr. Silver Age said:

Is there anybody going into a bookstore, much less a comics store, and saying, "Hmm, comics. Maybe I should try one," and then coming back for a SECOND one? How does someone start reading comics today?

If I knew the answer to that I'm sure Marvel and/or DC would be knocking on my door. I have gotten a few people into comics myself. Fables has been a fairly easy sell. I got a couple of lapsed comic book readers back into the fold by introducing them to Invincible. With the Big Two though they are both so slavishly attached to their continuities I find it hard to find a good entry point for someone. I might recommend an arc or two, but that is it.

I think there are. New people pick up the first volume of The Walking Dead all the time. Scott Pilgrim grabbed a ton of people. Getting people into the monthly habit is harder, I suspect. But I know librarians recommend graphic novels to their patrons all the time. Comics readership is growing in ways that aren't necessarily reflected in most of Marvel & DC's periodical sales numbers. 

At this point, I'm down to All-Star Western and Wonder Woman.  There are other DC books I'm reading which are quite good, but they're not part of the New 52. 

DC has grim-'n'-grittied me into not reading any of their comics.

I'm reading A-SW too as the only New 52 book, precisely because I figure there's little chance it will crossover or require me to go buy other titles to understand the story. I know there are some allusions to DCU events, but I don't need to know the current adventures. Everything else is too depressing and too drawn-out to see it as a value.

I'm also reading Batman 66 (of course), Smallville and Beware the Batman. I like DC's superheroes, I just don't like the DCU or the versions on whatever Earth it is we're seeing now.

-- MSA 

I was enjoying Batwoman up to the end of the last arc, had to drop Wonder Woman, it's too much of a mix of Game of Thrones and the Godfather for my taste. World's Finest with Huntress and Power Girl is still good for me though.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service