Who has already seen Captain America? I saw it last night.

It's a good movie. I know a lot of people are saying it's their favorite of the Marvel movies. Not sure I'd go that far. It came close. I had a headache when I saw it so I may need to see it again. Don't get me wrong, I really liked the movie. There were only a few things that dissapointed me.

Here's the good stuff:

• The cast is good. Chris Evans pulled off the role, nicely. He embodied the role of Cap. He was nice, did the right thing, was a good leader, and a total badass when it come to fighting. I forgotted he was the one who played the cocky Human Torch in the FF films.
  • The 40s retro vibe of the film works really well.
  • Back to the cast. While they were all good I especially liked Tommy Lee Jones and Stanley Tucci.
  • The Howling Cammandos were cool, but not given a whole lot to do.
  • The modern day book ends were pretty good too.
  • The first hour plus of set up and origin is really well paced and done well.
  • The film ties-in with Thor in a cool way.
  • The love story was pretty good too.
  • Stay after the credits. It'll make your geek heart explode with joy.

The no-so-great stuff:

• Hugo Weaving as the Red Skull was just ok. He was clearly a bad dude but to me the Red Skull is more menacing and scary. Of course I haven't read much with him, so for all I know his portrayal may be dead on. I know Weaving can do menacing and scary though, the guy's a good actor.
  • At a certain point in the film, the action speeds up towards the conclusion. It feels rushed and the pace is off from the first half of the film.
  • The ending book mark was not bad but the film just ended. From the end and the bit at the end of the credits it's clear Cap is distraught about his predicament. However not as much as you would expect someone to be who missed 70 years of their life.

Views: 512

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Finally, I got to see Captain America: The First Avenger earlier this week! Some thoughts before I read the rest of this thread:

• It's funny that I waited this long to see it, although I saw Thor at a midnight show on opening night, even though I've always liked Captain America as a character way, way more than I ever liked Thor, and never read Thor's title outside of the Walt Simonson run.
  • I liked it, a lot, and way, way more than Green Lantern. Even though it was set in World War II and not outer space, it got the scope and spectacle across a whole lot better.
  • Chris Evans worked for me better than expected. I was only trepidatious about him because he did Johnny Storm so, so well in the Fantastic Four movies. But then, if Harrison Ford can be both Han Solo and Indiana Jones, and Patrick Stewart can be both Captain Picard and Professor X, there really isn't a problem, is there?
  • Comics being comics and movies being movies, I'm more willing to forgive (most) deviations from the source material that I was as a lad. Like Bucky being sort of an older brother figure to the frail, sickly Steve Rogers. It worked, and worked well.
  • However, the movie's timeline bothered me; it had Steve enlisting in the spring of 1942. The comics pretty much had him sign up in 1940, before America entered the war. I find that bothersome because ... well, I'll explain later.
  • I recently read an article where Chris Evans said the key to the movie for him was making Steve Rogers in the early going someone the audience cares about and roots for; if he didn't get that across, it all falls down. Also, he said he based his performance on a buddy of his, an Eagle Scout who really lives and believes justice and fairness and kindness to your fellow man. He said that's what he tried to get across in the performance. I think he succeeded.
  • I also think Captain America: The First Avenger succeeded where Green Lantern failed by showing, not telling, why Steve Rogers was chosen -- showing, not telling that he is, at heart, a hero. It was the bit during training where Colonel Philips tosses the grenade and everybody else ran away from it, but Steve Rogers runs toward it. He was going to save everybody else even if it cost him his life. So when he had that long talk with Dr. Erskine the night before the experiment and Erskine tells him that the weak man who becomes strong wields that strength with compassion, we already knew what he meant; we saw it.
  • It also didn't hurt that when Steve Rogers was in the machine getting zapped with the Vita-Rays that he demanded to go through with it, even though it was quite painful and the equipment was on the edge of blowing up.
  • Speaking of which, it was another good, out-of-continuity move to tie Howard Stark into the Captain America origin.
  • Although it's still a huge hole in the story that a Nazi spy got in there to kill Erskine at all. I know it's what the origin calls for, but seeing it play out on screen, it seems more outlandish than anything else in the entire story.
  • I had to laugh at our first glimpse of Arnim Zola, on a TV screen. A very nice little nod to what he is fated to become.
  • I loved seeing the original Captain America costume, during the bit where our hero is a dancing advertisement for war bonds. I was afraid we weren't going to see it.
  • The fanboy in me, however, started yelling when Howard Stark gives Captain America the round shield and says it's made of vibranium. It is not! It's a unique blend of adamantium and vibranium, with the strength and indestructibility of adamantium and the vibration-absorbing properties of vibranium! I know, I know -- explaining the origin of the shield is too much to expect -- but still
  • Funny how Nick Fury isn't one of the Howling Commandos in this outing -- !
  • Funny how they gain a Nisei soldier in his stead -- !
  • Man, that Red Skull is a real nogoodnik, eh wot?
  • And that Peggy Carter! Hotcha!
  • Stanley Tucci was great as Dr. Erskine. Tommy Lee Jones, however, can do the crotchety leader of men bit in his sleep, and I wasn't always sure he wasn't.
  • And the ending was pitch-perfect. It would have been better if they hadn't given it away in the trailer! I know I already know the story, but still!

One complaint I read from a critic was that, with that ending, the movie seemed like a long trailer for some other movie that isn't out yet, one in which Captain America isn't even the lead. I can see the point.

However, one article I read said the individual movies so far and the upcoming Avengers movie are meant to support sequels and spinoffs. We have had two Iron Man movies with a third in the works, and the hope is to do movies about Hawkeye and The Scarlet Witch and sequels to Thor and The Incredible Hulk and Captain America ... 

... which brings me to my complaint about the timeline in this movie: It doesn't seem to leave much room for a sequel set in World War II. On the other hand, I can squint my eyes and see how Bucky and the Red Skull could be brought back for sequels. Here's looking forward to them!

My impression is that there were several months between Cap rescuing Bucky & all those other soldiers and the final battle with the Skull. A sequel could be set during those months. (And please, oh please let it have the Torch and Namor!)

Alex & I saw this film again tonight, this time at the drive-in. Oh, my goodness. It was even better at the drive-in then in a regular theater. It just seemed right.

• Chris Evans worked for me better than expected. I was only trepidatious about him because he did Johnny Storm so, so well in the Fantastic Four movies. But then, if Harrison Ford can be both Han Solo and Indiana Jones, and Patrick Stewart can be both Captain Picard and Professor X, there really isn't a problem, is there?

Only if they do a Fantastic Four/Avengers crossover movie.

The Baron said:

Only if they do a Fantastic Four/Avengers crossover movie.

I would pay good, cash money to see that!
I thought Chris Evans was good as Cap. He was great as Johnny Storm too, though. I think I was cautious about his casting as Cap because, Cap and Human Torch are very different characters. Chris Evans characters in other films are closer to Johnny Storm than Steve Rogers. However, he pulled it off.

There's no chance of the two teams meeting with a conflicted Chris Evans in dual roles. The company (FOX) that had the FF movie franchise has given it up, and it's now back in the hands of Marvel/ Disney. That means they can reboot the franchise with new actors, and a new non-stupid origin, as part of the extended marvel Movie-verse.

Thanks to the way the Movie-verse has played out so far, it would be interesting to see Reed and Co. go on their sneaky rocket ride to avoid dealing with S.H.I..E.L.D. regulations, and once they get all cosmic-rayed and go public, act as something of a foil to S.H.I.E.L.D. while remaining the family of heroes and adventurers they are. At least, that's how I'd do it.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx

Check out the Secret Headquarters (my store) website! Comics and Games for Everyone!

I used to listen to WOXY.com; It was the future of rock-n-roll! RIP WOXY

But the recent FF films avoided the very, very unbelievable aspect of Richards' team stealing a rocket by having them on a sanctioned flight. That's a smart origin.
Yeah ... the comic-book origin made it look like stealing a rocket is no harder than stealing Dad's car from the driveway for a joyride...

"Yeah ... the comic-book origin made it look like stealing a rocket is no harder than stealing Dad's car from the driveway for a joyride..."

I recently watched the classic Twilight Zone episode, "Third from the Sun" (which first aired in Jan. 1960). I wonder if Stan and/or Jack were influenced by this episode for the stealing-a-rocket-at-night business.

I see the re-reworking like this:

Reed Richards is a genius scientist and engineer- the smartest man on Earth. He's designed by himself a spacecraft that uses 1/5 the fuel to get into orbit. Susan Storm's parents are wealthy investors, and fund Richards' start-up company, partly due do faith in the project, and partly because their daughter is in love with him. A single day before the launch, S.H.I.E.L.D. swoops into their corporate HQ to confiscate everything and halt the launch of this privately-owned spacecraft. Reed, Sue, Ben, and Johnny, outraged at the denial of years worth of work, sneak in and launch it by themselves. (It's not stealing if it's already yours!) Cosmic rays. Crash. Powers. Mole Man's monster attacks. Confrontation with S.H.I.E.L.D. agents who turn out to be <gasp> Skrulls! S.H.I.E.L.D. has been infiltrated! Reed catches Nick Fury trying to sneak into their new headquarters (a la the end of Iron Man and Stark's house), and tells him he needs to get his own house in order before trying to tell the FF what to do with theirs. The two part respectfully, but each suspicious of the other. The FF signal flare goes off in the background, and we see the team climb into the ol' bathtub and head off into the unknown.

After the credits, we see a silver armored hand tapping a few buttons on a keyboard while a monitor shows the FF doing their thing. The focus then shifts to reveal the reflection in the monitor of the green-hooded figure who is watching...

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx

Check out the Secret Headquarters (my store) website! Comics and Games for Everyone!

I like it!!!!!

Dagwan said:

I see the re-reworking like this:

Reed Richards is a genius scientist and engineer- the smartest man on Earth. He's designed by himself a spacecraft that uses 1/5 the fuel to get into orbit. Susan Storm's parents are wealthy investors, and fund Richards' start-up company, partly due do faith in the project, and partly because their daughter is in love with him. A single day before the launch, S.H.I.E.L.D. swoops into their corporate HQ to confiscate everything and halt the launch of this privately-owned spacecraft. Reed, Sue, Ben, and Johnny, outraged at the denial of years worth of work, sneak in and launch it by themselves. (It's not stealing if it's already yours!) Cosmic rays. Crash. Powers. Mole Man's monster attacks. Confrontation with S.H.I.E.L.D. agents who turn out to be <gasp> Skrulls! S.H.I.E.L.D. has been infiltrated! Reed catches Nick Fury trying to sneak into their new headquarters (a la the end of Iron Man and Stark's house), and tells him he needs to get his own house in order before trying to tell the FF what to do with theirs. The two part respectfully, but each suspicious of the other. The FF signal flare goes off in the background, and we see the team climb into the ol' bathtub and head off into the unknown.

After the credits, we see a silver armored hand tapping a few buttons on a keyboard while a monitor shows the FF doing their thing. The focus then shifts to reveal the reflection in the monitor of the green-hooded figure who is watching...

Watched this last night - enjoyed it quite a bit. I thought Evans did quite a good job as Cap.  Not alot more to add to what you all have posted above except the following:

1)The Red Skull was just a wee bit goofy-looking. But then he always has been.

2)In the unlikely event that they ever make a "Mastermind Excello" movie, Hugo Weaving would be perfect for the part.

3)Does It Got Any Doctor Who Actors in it?, Part One:

I gather that one of the girls that double-dates with Steve and Bucky early in the picture is going to be Karen Gillan's replacement in the next series of Doctor Who. Not sure which it was - the brunette, I think - but in any case, she wasn't in it enough to get much of a sense of what she's like.

4)Does It Got Any Doctor Who Actors in it?, Part Two:

When I saw Arnim Zola, my first reaction was, "Holy (expletive deleted), it's the Dream Lord!" And it was indeed the same actor, Toby Jones. Cripes, he was practically wearing the same outfit!

Toby Jones as Arnim Zola:

Toby Jones as The Dream Lord:

That all but took me out of the movie for a bit, wondering what the heck a Doctor Who character was doing in this picture.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service