A ‘Giant-Size’ beginning, 41 regular issues ,one Annual, from the 1970s, a follow up 4-issue mini-series and some significant tales in Captain America and Namor before a mini revival in the new millennium…!

We will be starting in June 1975 – with Giant-Size Invaders #1 , a 30 page special written by Roy Thomas with art in the individual style of Frank Robbins and inked by Vince Colletta.

World War Two heroes Captain America and Bucky, the android Human Torch and partner Toro and Namor the Sub-Mariner find themselves thrown together against the Nazi villainy of Master Man and no less a figure than Winston Churchill helps form the …Invaders!

I’d love to know what memories anyone has of this series before I summarise it issue by issue….anyone up for it? (I’ll wait a bit for people to locate their issues if you’d like…)

(First question I’ll throw out there – anyone else notice the mistake on the cover of Invaders classic tpk #1)

Views: 17864

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

And I plan to forget it again! :)

INVADERS ANNUAL #1 and AVENGERS #71 fit into Invaders continuity between Invaders #15 and #16 !! - So we will get there soon!!

Philip Portelli said:

Avengers #71 was NOT the first appearance of the Invaders when the book came out, nor did it include the name "Invaders". It had Yellowjacket, Black Panther and the Vision battle Cap, Namor and the Torch in 1941. But Roy wanted the book included in his Invaders continuity so herafted Invaders Annual #1 to explain it. So it was the Timely Trio not from 1941 but 1942, with Nazi villains making them look as they did in Avengers #71.

Yes, Mark, I thought the same thing. She didn't want her dad to don a costume and get back into the war (maybe because he didn't have any powers) but as soon as she gained powers she couldn't wait to don a costume and help with the war effort. Hmm, a little hypocritical. Especially since, in an earlier issue, she voiced her opinion against war because her mother had been a casualty!

Messed up rich girls, whatcha gonna do? ;)

Mark S. Ogilvie said:

It was later that I learned of the Warsaw uprising and wondered how that would have fit into any Invaders story. The man who bravely decided to stay behind probably died. I also thought it was a quick turn-around for Jackie because she was dead set against her father getting into costume.

Yea, one part of it may have been that once she had powers Jackie could actually do something, that makes a difference. Her powers never seemed very impressive to me though.

Mark Stanislawski said:

Yes, Mark, I thought the same thing. She didn't want her dad to don a costume and get back into the war (maybe because he didn't have any powers) but as soon as she gained powers she couldn't wait to don a costume and help with the war effort. Hmm, a little hypocritical. Especially since, in an earlier issue, she voiced her opinion against war because her mother had been a casualty!

Messed up rich girls, whatcha gonna do? ;)

Mark S. Ogilvie said:

It was later that I learned of the Warsaw uprising and wondered how that would have fit into any Invaders story. The man who bravely decided to stay behind probably died. I also thought it was a quick turn-around for Jackie because she was dead set against her father getting into costume.

My guess would be that they started with "Spitfire" as her name, and worked backward with the "fire" part to the Human Torch. But since they didn't need three torches, they made her a speedster (part of the Torch power is flying fast) with fire trailing in her wake.

That's ENTIRELY speculation, of course, but I notice that the fire in her wake eventually went away. Which is a lucky thing, since

photo spoiler-1.gif

she eventually became a vampire, and vampires don't like fire.

I'd go with that theory Cap. In fact I'm sure she is first described with the flames behind her by either Cap or Bucky and it's their description that leads to her adopting the name Spitfire.

I supose having the power to 'spit-fire' wouldn't've worked out too well.!.?

Captain Comics said:

My guess would be that they started with "Spitfire" as her name, and worked backward with the "fire" part to the Human Torch. But since they didn't need three torches, they made her a speedster (part of the Torch power is flying fast) with fire trailing in her wake.

That's ENTIRELY speculation, of course, but I notice that the fire in her wake eventually went away. Which is a lucky thing, since

photo spoiler-1.gif

she eventually became a vampire, and vampires don't like fire.

Richard Mantle said:

I supose having the power to 'spit-fire' wouldn't've worked out too well.!.?

That's what Fire Lad could do, and he ended up in the Legion of Substitute Heroes. So you're right.

Anybody remember the Legion of Substitute Heroes RESERVE?

That was a group designed for those who--good grief-- WEREN'T READY to join the Subs.

I sure do! But I think they were called "Auxiliaries" and included, IIRC, Double-Header and Antennae Boy. Was Eyeful Ethel on that team? If not, she should have been.

Eyeful Ethel and Tusker tried to join Ronn-Karr's Legion of Substitute Villains!

Yikes!

The more I read I wonder if we'll encounter a Roy Thomas WWII version in the Invaders pages "!
He loves his obscure characters......as we'll see with 'the Crusaders' coming soon.....(see what I did there?)

Philip Portelli said:

Eyeful Ethel and Tusker tried to join Ronn-Karr's Legion of Substitute Villains!

Yikes!

INVADERS #14  (03/77)
”Calling…The Crusaders!”
Writer/editor Roy Thomas. Illustrators – Frank Robbins & Frank Springer

Returning (empty handed) from Warsaw, the Invaders gatecrash a dogfight over London.

Some nasty-Nazis are shot down only to cut down innocent medics trying to help them and as the Invaders arrive – the Crusaders capture the bad-guys instead.

Introduced as Doll-Man  Dyna-Mite, - miniature size but full size strength, the Spirit of ‘’76 - no powers but a bulletproof cloak and Ghost Girl. – able to refract light to appear to be a meter away from where she actually is.

These are only half of the team called the Crusaders. – but they mysteriously do not want to chew the fat with our heroes…

Nearby, we meet the other half of the group, Thunderfist who has gloves that hit like…er…thunder…?
Tommy Lightning – who seems to control electricity and Captain Wings who glides with…well…wings…?

Honestly, this is a very uninspired group. Coming so soon after the creation of the Liberty Legion the reader is really left with the idea we’ve seen all this before and so very little interest can be garnered here.

Eventually the Invaders return to Lord Falsworth at his mansion and cement Spitfire’s place in the team.

The latest mystery deepens though as the retired Union Jack reacts, not to the Crusaders as a whole or most of their team members – but to the name Dyna-Mite.!?!

Later the Invaders stand hopelessly by as the Crusaders thwart a murder attempt on the car of George VI the King of England!

By the end of the issue, the Crusaders are so successful they are announced as the new honour guard for the King – replacing our washed up Invaders.…!?

Ok, by the end we know that things are not right with this new group – but are they villains or are they being manipulated by the so-ugly-he-must-be-evil observer named Alfie…?

That hurts too, as he appears to have only been called Alfie so that we can get the painful blurb… “Next Issue: What’s It All About, Alfie?”

Again, the Invaders are mainly bit-players in their own title here, as this is all about the Crusaders and the link between Union Jack (retired) and Doll-Man Dyna-Mite and again the action continues next issue…..

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service