So, I'm going through my preorder form for Previews...

Most of the comics I buy now-a-days are read and then passed on to others.  There are currently two exceptions: the new Daredevil and Ultimate Spider-Man titles.  Those two have made me go back on my effort to get out of the saving/boxing comics business.  These titles feel too cool and important not to save copies for myself. 

Anyway...

Dark Horse: I love, love, love Usagi Yojimbo.  This past Christmas, my parents gave me the amazing two volume boxed set of early Usagi issues and I treasure it.  Why Usagi isn't always mentioned in the same breath with Bone and Cerebus is beyond me.  Sure, Sakai did not self-publish, but he's written and drawn the adventures of this character for over 25 years and 200 issues.  That's amazing.  I've dropped the Dark Horse Presents book...just not enough that I liked for the money.

DC:  Out of the new stuff, I'm only picking up Wonder Woman, Batwoman, Batgirl, and Swamp Thing.  These will be read and all go to my sister and brother-in-law.  My sister is a HUGE Wonder Woman fan and that's the only reason I'm ordering it.  I really like the creators on the other books.  I have very mixed feelings about Action Comics and Superman restarting for many reasons...both for real world reasons (is this some weird effort to wrest the character forever from the heirs?) and in-story reasons...so, I'll read the first Action and decide if I'm picking up any more.  I might just wait for the trade collections.  I still get Batman:The Brave and The Bold and Tiny Titans for my girls.  I get iZombie and pass it on to my sister...the same with The Unwritten trades.

IDW: One of the girls' babysitters, a young woman in college, is a big Matt Smith fan and I pick up the Doctor Who ongoing for her.  I'm also getting the Star Trek ongoing with the J.J. Abrams version of the crew.  I'll read it and pass it on to my sister-in-law to put in her middle school library comic reading corner.

Marvel: The reading corner gets a few things from Marvel - the all-ages John Carter of Mars book, the Oz adaptions, the Amazing Spider-Man books - including the Spider-Girl and Cloak and Dagger tie-ins, Ultimate Spider-Man, and Mystic (a great, great first issue this month!).  They also get a copy of Daredevil...as does my sister and my daughters...so, I end up buying four copies of it.  One of my administrative assistants loves Misty Knight and Black Panther, so I pick up the titles starring those characters for her. 

Abstract Studios:  Rachel Rising for my sister, a fan of Terry Moore's work.

Action Lab: The solicit for Princeless about a princess who gets fed up and decides to save herself looks interesting...ordering that for the girls.

Archie:  I pick up some for the middle school library and my girls.  Life with Archie goes to my sister, the babysitter, and a different administrative assistant. 

United Plankton Pictures:  My girls love Spongebob...and his comic.

And that's it for comics.  I order Doctor Who Magazine (the UK version) from my shop rather than buying it off of the newstand.  The US version is too slight and doesn't have a cool comic in the middle...or Moffat's column. 

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I was just having a look at Image's website. Apparently this new title by Paul Grist

is starting in November. I've not read as much of his work as I want to, but what I've seen I greatly admire.
This reply was deleted.