The Top 5

Bermuda #1 (of 4)

IDW | $4.99

Writer: John Layman | Art/Cover: Nick Bradshaw | Variant: Nick Bradshaw | Variant: Arthur Adams.

There's a region in the Atlantic Ocean where planes disappear, ships are lost, and souls go missing ... never to be heard from again. And there's an island within this place, mysterious and uncharted, untouched by time and civilization, where all who are lost end up — human or otherwise! On this wondrous jungle island lives a scrappy 16-year-old girl named Bermuda, fighting to survive against dinosaurs, pirates and otherworldly threats. But when a weird new kid washes ashore, she may face the biggest challenge of her life: a perilous rescue mission that just might be the death of her!

Captain Comics sez: This first issue was a heckuva lot of fun. We have rich kids Bobby (tweenish) and Andi (7) in an airplane hit by lightning, and wake up on "Triangle," an island on the other side of a door (which is the storm, naturally) where all sorts of lost and forgotten things wash up, like old airplanes and dinosaurs and fish-people. (Come to think of it, this is starting to sound an awful lot like some versions of Themyscira. But the Bermuda Triangle came first, so there.) Andi (and the pilot, if he's alive) are taken by Mers (fish-people slavers), while Bobby is rescued by Bermuda, the red-headed star of the title. So you see the outline of the drama to come.

There are few more twists (especially the surprise at the end that I won't spoil) but all that is just the first issue, and it was an exciting, quick-moving intro to a title that promises old-fashioned adventure and modern characterization. It's a little bit Tarzan, a little bit Land That Time Forgot and a little bit Pippi Longstocking.

The art is by Nick Bradshaw, whose work strongly reminds me of Art Adams (who draws one of the variant covers). It's very detailed, very electric. The man knows how to tell a story, and the tools to do it well. See below.

Tales from Harrow County Fair Folk #1 (of 4)

Dark Horse | $3.99

Writer Cullen Bunn | Art/Cover A: Emily Schnall | Cover B: Tyler Crook 

Fresh off the loss of her goblin friend to a strange portal, Bernice must weigh her responsibilities as protector of Harrow County with her desire to get her companion back safe and sound. But the past weighs heavily and the fair folk use Bernice’s and her memories against her. And something more disastrous than she could have feared may be around the corner to threaten both the worlds of humans and of haints.

CC sez: I loved the first series, with its mixture of old folklore, invented folklore, period Southern(ish) sensibility and genuine originality. And I appreciate that the title's protagonist has shifted from a white girl to a Black one. I like them both, and it's about time Black girls had some heroes that look like them.

Locke & Key: Keyhouse Compendium HC

IDW | 976 pages | $125.00

Writer: Joe Hill | Art/Cover: Gabriel Rodriguez

Locke & Key: Keyhouse Compendium collects the original, sprawling tale of magic and family, in one massive 900-page hardcover edition complete with a dust jacket featuring all-new front- and back-cover artwork by series co-creator Gabriel Rodríguez. Marking the first time that the core Locke & Key six-volume series has all been collected into a single tome, the Keyhouse Compendium -- much like the doors of Keyhouse itself -- transforms all who open its pages. Witness the triumphs and tragedies of Tyler, Kinsey, and Bode Locke from their very first steps on the ancestral grounds of Massachusetts to the climactic final battle with the supernatural entity Dodge.

CC sez: Legionnaires kept recommending this series to me, but it took the TV show to get me to buy the set (in TPB). And I loved it. But I wish I'd waited for this lovely collection. Don't make the mistake I did: If you haven't read Locke and Key, here's not only a way to get the entire story, but in a handsome, durable format too!

Moon Knight #1

Marvel | $4.99

Writer: Jed MacKay | Art: Alessandro Cappuccio | Cover: Steve McNiven | Captain America 80th Anniversary variant: Pepe Larraz | Variant: Gabriele Dell'Otto | Variant E.M. Gist | Head Shot variant: Todd Nauck | Variant: John Romita Jr. | Variant: Skottie Young | Gerardo Zaffino 

The mysterious Mr. Knight has opened his Midnight Mission, his people petitioning for protection from the weird and horrible.  That protection is offered by Moon Knight, who stalks the rooftops and alleys marked with his crescent moon tag, bringing violence to any who would harm his people.  Marc Spector, in whichever guise he dons, is back on the streets, a renegade priest of an unworthy god.  But while Khonshu languishes in a prison that Moon Knight put him in, the white-cowled hero must still observe his duty: protecting those who travel at night. And let it be known — Moon Knight will keep the faith.

CC Sez: I missed a couple of important Moon Knight stories — the Warren Ellis run and The Khonshu War in Avengers, for example — which seem important to this new series. But at the same time, it looks like a return to basics, with MK a street-level vigilante, so maybe they're not really necessary. Anyway, the art looks good.

Other Items of Interest

Blue & Gold #1 (of 8)

DC Comics | $4.99

Writer: Dan Jurgens | Art/Cover: Ryan Sook | Card Stock variant ($4.99): Dave Johnson

Desperate to regain the spotlight, Booster Gold looks to attract the public’s (and Justice League’s) attention the same way any washed-up, second-rate hero would — social media. The not-so-tech-savvy hero from the 25th century enlists the help of his best friend, Blue Beetle, who possesses both the money and the brains to help his old pal navigate the scary world of Internet influencers. Watch out, evildoers, our heroes are live and online! Don’t miss Dan Jurgens’ triumphant return to Booster Gold with the help of all-star artist Ryan Sook (Legion of Super-Heroes), telling a tale filled with heart and maybe even redemption for DC’s two favorite underdogs!

CC sez: I used to wonder in the long-before time why B&G never got a miniseries, as they were so popular in the various Justice League titles. Now I understand we had to wait for something just as shallow as Booster (social media) to come into being.

Celestia HC

Fantagraphics | $29.99

Writer/Art: Manuele Fior

The "Great Invasion" originated from the sea. It moved north across the mainland. Many fled, while some took refuge on a small concrete island called Celestia, built over a thousand years ago. Now cut off from the mainland, Celestia has become an outpost for criminals and other misfits, as well as a refuge for a group of young telepaths. Events push two of them, Dora and Pierrot, to flee the island and set sail to the mainland. There, they discover a world on the precipice of a metamorphosis, though also a world where adults are literally prisoners of their own fortresses, unintentionally preserving the "old world" at a time when a new generation could guide society towards a better humanity. Celestia is the most ambitious and successful graphic novel to date by one of the world's most exciting storytellers.

CC sez: So I read it. I enjoyed it. I think.

This is a European graphic novel in the classic sense, in that it can leave me scratching my head. I'm an American comic book fan; I'm accustomed to linear storytelling, and for the important story elements to jump out at me.

But Celestia, like a lot of European work, takes its sweet time getting anywhere, with , and unexplained decisions, sometimes baffling behavior and plot diversions that may or may not play into the climax. And, as is often the case with European GNs, when I get to the climax I realize the they're not going to explain anything, so I have to think back on it and sort out what exactly it is I read.

Which isn't a complaint; sometimes I'm in the mood for that. It's moody in the best sense, and dreamlike in the best sense (emphasized by the telepaths feeding each other memories), but dialogue is sparse so you have to fill in some blanks yourself. 

And because it's European, there's occasional nudity and sex that to Americans may seem a little gratuitous. But to the characters in Euro-GNs, it's just part of life, like eating, and depicted just as casually.

The art is ... I'm not sure. It seems like it's done in some sort of ink/watercolor combo, so it's a little slippery to pigeonhole. The faces of the characters, if I'm honest, are often pretty homely, and anatomy isn't always consistent. If you're looking for American-style photorealism, Celestia is on the other end of the spectrum.

But I enjoyed it. I think.

Cimmerian Vol 2: Frost Giant’s Daughter HC

Ablaze | $24.99

Writers: Sylvain Runberg, Robert E. Howard, Robin Recht | Art/Cover: Jae Kwang Park, Robin Recht

BY CROM! Robert E. Howard's famous Cimmerian UNCENSORED! Discover the true Conan, unrestrained, violent, and sexual. Read the story as he intended! The Cimmerian Vol 2 includes two complete stories, The People of The Black Circle, and The Frost Giant's Daughter, plus bonus material, including the original prose stories, in one hardcover collection!

CC sez: I think I mentioned last week that some of the "bonus material" in the first GN was the actual prose stories from Robert E. Howard that were being adapted in that book. I've been waiting for someone to publish a hardcover collection of the original REH Conan stories, and it looks like this is as close as I'm going to get.

Comic Book History of Animation TPB

IDW |$17.99

Writer: Fred Van Lente | Art/Cover: Ryan Dunlavey

From the team behind The Comic Book History of Comics comes the perfect companion piece telling the story of the triumphs and tragedies of the filmmakers and beloved animated characters of the past century and a half — essential for hardcore fans of the medium and noobies alike! It's all here, from Aardman to Zoetrope, Disney to Miyazaki, Hanna-Barbera to Pixar, and everything in between!

CC sez: This PR says the book also goes into animation history in Argentina, France and Japan, who were no slouches when it came to forward leaps in cartooning. I admit to being curious about all of it. Not sure if I'm curious enough to buy and read a book on it, though.

Dark Blood #1 (of 6)

BOOM! | $3.99

Writer: LaToya Morgan | Art: Walt Barna | Cover A: Valentine De Landro | Cover B: Juni Ba | Cover C: Dan Mora

Alabama, 1955. Avery Aldridge was a decorated soldier during World War II; now he’s just an ordinary young Black man busy providing for his wife and daughter. But the wounds of the past have a way of coming back, and he’ll soon discover that he is anything but ordinary. After a run-in awakens strange new abilities, Avery’s about to become more powerful than he could have ever dared to dream … in a country and society that never wanted him to have any power.

CC sez: Sounds like a more ambitious version of Lovecraft Country. Since I loved that TV show (which, sob, will not return), I will probably enjoy this.

And one of the reasons is that stories like this take on America's history of brutal racism. I love my country, but I know it's not perfect — and to correct our mistakes, we must first acknowledge them.

Dejah Thoris Versus John Carter of Mars #1

Dynamite | 32 pages | Teen+ | $3.99

Writer: Dan Abnett | Art: Alessandro Miracolo | Cover A: Lucio Parrillo | Cover B: Joseph Michael Linsner | Cover C: Alessandro Miracolo | Cover D: Rachel Hollon Cosplay Cover E: Blank Authentix | Cover O: Sebastian Fiumara 

An epic adventure, reuniting fiction's greatest lovers: Dejah Thoris from Barsoom, and John Carter from Earth! But their reunion is short-lived ...THE LONGBORN, an ancient and mysterious race of immortal "gods" have arrived to reclaim what is theirs: MARS!

CC sez: Dynamite has taken Barsoom beyond the status quo of the ERB novels, with new characters and situations, and Thoris as the "jedarra" — a feminized form of jeddak, or chieftan — of all Mars. John Carter was mind-controlled in some previous series, so the battle of the title has already happened at least once, and this book doesn't cover enough ground to explain why it's (theoretically) going to happen again.

But I did enjoy it; story and art are a little '80s Marvel, but to me that's a plus.

Flash #772

DC Comics | $3.99

Writer: Jeremy Adams | Art: Will Conrad | Cover: Brandon Peterson, Michael Atiyeh | Card Stock variant ($4.99): Brett Booth, Jonathan Glapion, Alex Sinclair | Colors: Alex Sinclair | Letters: Steve Wands

The Flash is finally home in Central City, back with his loving wife Linda, his kids Jai and Iris, and … looking for a job? Hey, even speedsters gotta eat, and bill don’t pay themselves, not even in the DC Universe! But can The Flash find gainful employment in Central City with a strange cosmic artifact heading to Earth and Heat Wave going on a fiery rampage?

CC sez: Heroes in Crisis kinda soured me on Wally, to tell you the truth. (Even though they're about to blame his decidedly unheroic actions on the influence of Reverse Flash.) Not only was I disappointed in Wally's behavior, but it was kinda sickening seeing all the super-types let him off the hook because he's one of their own. And what did it even achieve? Both Poison Ivy and Roy Harper, the two biggest guns killed in the event, are back.

This really isn't the time or place to rehash Heroes in Crisis, I guess, but obviously it still bugs me. I'll try not to let it influence my thinking on Wally going forward, but it'll be hard.

Guardians of the Galaxy #16

Marvel | Teen+ | $3.99

Writer: Al Ewing | Art: Juan Frigeri | Colors: Federico Blee | Cover: Brett Booth | Variant: Phil Jimenez | Anime variant: Peach Momoko

In GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY #15, fans finally learned that the dark threat behind the upcoming cosmic crossover THE LAST ANNIHILATION is none other than Dormammu, Lord of the Dark Dimension! The dreaded Doctor Strange adversary has merged with Ego the Living Planet and plans to use his powerful magical abilities to conquer space, forcing the galaxy to unite like never before. The saga will kick off on July 21st in GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY #16 where Dormammu’s endless army of Mindless Ones will put the new lineup of Guardians to the test. The crossover will continue in Ewing’s space-based X-Men title S.W.O.R.D. in an issue that will see Storm face one of her first challenges as the newly appointed Queen of Sol.

CC sez: The first "Annihilation" event took its name from the Annihilation Wave, which was named for the Negative Zone's Annihilus, so the second Annihilation and this one are kinda misnomers, since Annihilus isn't involved. (It's like all of the Nick and Nora Charles movies having "Thin Man" in the title, when that was a reference to the first victim in the first movie, who obviously didn't appear again.) Well, if DC can have endless Crises, I guess Marvel's entitled to endless Annihilations. I thought the first two Annihilations important enough that I got the omnibuses, and I'd wager I'll get this one, too. These events do seem to reboot Marvel's various outer space characters every time.

Also, when they added Dr. Doom to the Guardians, I thought, "They'd better have a darn good reason, or I won't believe it." Dormammu is a darn good reason.

Lunar Ladies #1 (of 3)

Scout Comics | $3.99

Writer: Omar Morales | Art: Joel Cotejar | Cover: Renae De Liz | Colors: Paula Goulart | Letters: Jaymes Reed

A highly-advanced society of women lives under the surface of the moon — their peaceful way of living is quietly fracturing from the inside, as political ideologies pit the queen of the moon against a geneticist hell bent on usurping the queen's power.

CC sez: The PR goes on to mention ray-gun battles, mad scientists and cavemen, which sounds like a great deal of fun. No mention of dinosaurs, but I guess you can't have everything.

Mawrth Valliis TPB

Image | $14.99

Writer/Art/Cover: EPHK

Writer/artist EPHK will take readers on a pulse-pounding, sci-fi journey through Mars’ mysteries in the forthcoming MAWRTH VALLIIS. This original graphic novel will land in stores this July from Image Comics.

During a skirmish with an opposing Martian faction, a fighter pilot disobeys orders to pursue a fleeing foe. Guided by her determination and curiosity, she is led into a dangerous chase through Mars's forbidden valley where she will be confronted with the red planet's darkest of secrets.

CC sez: This looks a bit like '70s European sci-fi — which, it turns out, the PR says was an inspiration for EPHK (whoever that is). I also should mention that the preview below makes clear that our heroine does indeed have pants on her space suit, which is not obvious on the cover. Really, really not obvious.

M.O.M. Mother of Madness #1 (of 3)

Image | $5.99

Writers: Emilia Clarke, Marguerite Bennett | Art: Leila Leiz | Cover A: Jo Ratcliffe | Cover B: Jen Bartel | Cover C: Leila Leiz | Cover D: Blank cover | Cover E: 1:10 copy incentive “story panel” | Cover F: 1:25 copy incentive Ratcliffe virgin | Cover G: 1:50 copy incentive Bartel virgin |  Cover H: 1:100 copy incentive Mirka Andolfo | Cover I: 1:500 copy incentive Ratcliffe Signed Edition | Cover Z: Galaxycon convention exclusive

The mayhem begins with Maya, under-the-weather scientist by day, over-the-top superhero by night, and badass single mom 24/7. Deadpool action collides with Fleabag comedy when Maya activates her freakish superpowers to take on a secret sect of human traffickers.

CC sez: This book is getting a lot of press, because it's co-written by Emilia Clarke, a.k.a. Daeneyris Targaryen on Game of Thrones, a.k.a. "Mother of Dragons." The other co-writer is a veteran, Marguerite Bennett (Josie and the Pussycats, Angela), so if Clarke has a learning curve, we won't see it.

The book is breezy, narrated in pun-heavy, modern-jargon style by the protagonist Maya, and is an origin story of sorts. The premise is that experimental chemicals make Maya's emotions manifest in various ways; she gets all Elongated Man when she's happy, for example, and things explode when she laughs. The world she lives in is an exaggerated version of toxic masculinity (at least I hope it's exaggerated), which gives Clarke — who calls herself an "out-and-out feminist" in the afterword — something to bounce her heroine off of. I think also it's kind of the point of the book.

I'm something a feminist, too, but even so I felt a little preached at. Hopefully the second issue will give me more depth to hang onto and less soapbox to annoy me.

Radiant Black #6

Image | $3.99

Writers: Kyle Higgins, Cherish Chen | Art/Cover A: David Lafuente, Dee Cunniffe | Cover B: Kira Okamoto, | Cover C 1:25 incentive: Doaly

Who's under the helmet of Radiant Red? Radiant Black #6 promises fans a red-hot new story that challenges everything you think you know about the man beneath the mask!

CC sez: This is a standalone issue, what they call a "jumping-on point." I'm not reading the book myself, so I took them up on it. And it was pretty good.

It's a done-in-one origin story of what I presume is the Red Radiant of the PR. I am further assuming that Red Radiant has appeared before but that there is something of a mystery about the supervillain's identity. Which would make this a flashback origin story.

The story starts out in a domestic bliss scenario, where an Asian family is hosting their daughter and her swain as they announce they are engaged. Everybody's happy. But all is not as it seems. As our not-so-happy couple reach a turning point, a meteor gives our protagonist super-powers (and, somehow, an armored super-suit).

Radiant Black does not appear in this story. In fact, I'd guess none of the regular Radiant Black characters appear in this story. Except for the fact that new readers (like me) are given no explanation for how meteors grant super-powers (and clothes), this could be a first issue.

SHAZAM #1 (of 4)

DC Comics | $3.99

Writer: Tim Sheridan | Art/Cover: Clayton Henry and Marcelo Maiolo | 1:25 Card Stock variant ($4.99): Steve Lieber | Card Stock variant ($4.99): Gary Frank

Billy Batson came to Titans Academy looking for answers, but so far has kept his Shazam! identity a secret from his new classmates. Why was the rest of his adopted family cut off from the power of Shazam!? Why are his own powers becoming increasingly unreliable? What has happened to the Rock of Eternity, where is the Wizard, and who can help Billy get his powers back to normal before these mysterious events turn into a full-blown crisis?

The answers send Billy on an outrageous adventure that’ll not only change him … but have an immense impact on the school and other students on Titans Island!

CC sez: I confess I've lost all interest in this character, now that he's as angst-ridden as every other teen hero. The wit, hopefulness and innocence that attracted me to the original Captain Marvel are long gone. And without those, he's just another whiny teen hero.

Supergirl: Woman of Tomorrow #2

DC Comics | $4.99

Writer: Tom King | Art/Cover: Bilquis Evely

After the shocking conclusion of last issue, Supergirl and her new friend Ruthye find themselves stranded with no way to pursue Krem, the murderous kingsagent. Each moment this fugitive roams free, the more beings become dangerously close to dying by his hand. There is no time to lose, so our heroes must now travel across the universe the old-fashioned way … by cosmic bus! Little do they know, their journey will be a dark one filled with terrors that not even the Maid of Might is prepared to face! Can Kara Zor-El lie low long enough to ensure their safe passage?

CC sez: Issue #2 already? Heck, this means I've had the first issue in my To-Read pile for a month! I better get to it. But if what I hear is true about the climax of issue #1, I will get very stabby.

Superman and The Authority #1 (of 4)

DC Comics | $4.99

Writer: Grant Morrison | Art/Cover A: Mikel Janin | Cover B: Bryan Hitch

Sometimes even Superman finds a task almost impossible. Sometimes even the Last Son of Krypton needs to enlist help. Some tasks require methods and heroes that don’t scream Justice League. So Clark Kent, the Metropolis Marvel, seeks out Manchester Black, the most dastardly of rogues, to form an all-new Authority tasked with taking care of some business on the sly. Not only will Black know the right candidates for the team, but if Superman can make him behave himself and act in service of the greater good, then he’ll prove literally anyone can be a hero! They’ll have to move quickly, however, as the Ultra-Humanite forms his own team to take out the Man of Steel. This new limited series helps launch an all-new Superman status quo, setting up story elements that reverberate across both Action Comics and Superman: Son of Kal-El in the months to come. And not only is Superman putting together a superstar team, but it takes superstars to tell the tale: Grant Morrison (The Green Lantern, All-Star Superman) and Mikel Janin (Batman, Future State: Superman: Worlds of War)!

CC sez: Ugh, this looks like "Dark Superman." Did he fight Manchester Black's group way back when to prove the power of hope, only to ditch all that and become grim 'n' gritty? And I reallllly hope this doesn't lead to the events of Future State: War of Worlds. That was Super-depressing.

That does seem to be where this going, as Mongul and Warworld are involved. I'm hanging on to my faith in Grant Morrison that he will go in a different direction than what's expected. Which is kinda Morrison's stock in trade, so I'm feeling some of that power of hope right now.

Trese Vol 2: Unreported Murders GN

Ablaze | $16.99

Writer: Budjette Tan | Art/Cover: Kajo Baldisimo

When crime takes a turn for the weird, the police call Alexandra Trese.

"Unreported Murders” contains four mysteries for Alexandra Trese to solve; including a murdered dwarven-creature, a police station held under siege by the undead, an elusive serial killer living in the sewers of the city, and an unassuming gated-community that’s willing to pay the price to live the privileged life.

CC sez: I somehow missed the first volume of this series, as well as the anime that is reportedly on Netflix. Since I love learning about myths, legends and folklore, this sounds right up my alley. I will attempt to redress these deficiencies.

X-Men Legends #5

Marvel | Teen+ | $3.99

Writer: Peter David | Art/Cover: Todd Nauck | Action Figure variant: John Tyler Christopher | Puzzle variant: Todd Nauck

X-MEN LEGENDS, the series featuring all-new tales set during classic X-Men eras, continues this July with writer Peter David and artist Todd Nauck! Peter David returns to X-Men with a story set during his fan-favorite run on X-FACTOR. A highlight of the X-Men’s nineties heyday, Peter David’s X-FACTOR defined characters such as Polaris, Multiple Man, and Strong Guy, and featured sharp commentary on the mutant metaphor and super hero lifestyle. Now, fans can revisit this beloved era with a revelatory, in-continuity adventure that takes place between X-FACTOR #75 and #76.

Mutants have taken hostages, and X-Factor is taking the blame! But before judgment is rendered for Polaris, Havok, Wolfsbane, Strong Guy, Quicksilver, and Multiple Man, Val Cooper and X-Factor will take the stand! But who’s telling the truth, and what really went down at the Latverian Embassy? It all makes sense…from a certain point of view.

CC sez: This continuity implant takes place between X-Factor #75 and X-Factor #76, when Peter David was writing the title — and Peter David's writing this story, too! I don't know if I need another "classic" X-Factor, story, but at least it's bona fide.

Events/Crossovers

EXTREME CARNAGE PART 3

Extreme Carnage: Phage #1

Marvel | $3.99

Writer: Steve Orlando | Art: Gerardo Sandoval | Cover A: Skan | Cover B: Jeff Johnson | Cover C: Skottie Young

Collectively called the Life Foundation, symbiotes SCREAM, PHAGE, RIOT, LASHER and AGONY have tried to reconcile the sometimes-noble intentions of their hosts with their often-bloodthirsty impulses. But the Life Foundation symbiotes aren’t the only symbiotes who find themselves reinvented after KING IN BLACK. They have an older sibling who may be reinvented in its own right: CARNAGE.

CC sez: Nope. Nope, nope, nope. Also: Nope.

FCBD

FCBD 2021 The Boys Herogasm #1

Dynamite | Mature | Free

Writer: Garth Ennis | Art: John McCrea | Cover: Darick Robertson

An evil so profound it threatens all mankind ... the mightiest heroes on the planet uniting to defend us all ... a secret crisis of such utter finality that a countdown to civil or infinite war seems unavoidable... but have you ever wondered what really happens during Crossovers? The Seven, Payback, Teenage Kix, Fantastico and every other supe on Earth team up for an annual event like no other ... and where the supes go, can a certain "five complications and a dog" be far behind? Vought-American prepare to make their move, in a story that will change the world of the Boys forever: Herogasm #1.

The first-ever Boys spin-off mini-series features the pairing of Ennis with Hitman artist John McCrea and covers by Boys artist and co-creator Darick Robertson!

CC sez: Heck, yeah, I'll be getting the big FCBD titles. Can't beat the price.

FCBD 2021 Enter the Slaughter 

BOOM! | Teen | Free

Writer: James TynionIV | Art/Cover: Werther Dell'Edera

In 2019, James Tynion IV (Batman) and Werther Dell'Edera (Briggs Land) introduced the world to Erica Slaughter, the iconic monster hunter who came to Archer's Peak, Wisconsin to save the town's children from the monsters only she can see.

But Erica is not the only member of the House of Slaughter ...

FCBD 2021 Just Beyond Monstrosity #1

BOOM! | All Ages | Free

Writer: R. L. Stine | Art: Irene Flores | Cover: Julian Totino Tedesco

Ruthie and Ezra Dillon's dad and uncle just bought an old Hollywood movie studio. And while the family has plans for reviving it to make scary movies for a modern audience, the monsters hiding in the backlot have other ideas.

Ruthie and Ezra are eager to star in their family's films, but they'll soon find themselves in a real horror show with Wolfenscreem, the Lagoonatics, and the Wasp-Keeper... who are all ready for their revival with a vengeance!

Soon to be a television show on Disney+, delve into the mind of all-ages horror master R.L. Stine (Goosebumps) with artist Irene Flores (Heavy Vinyl) and discover the world of Just Beyond.

FCBD 2021 Marvel Gold Avengers Hulk #1

Marvel | Teen | Free

Writers: Donny Cates, Jason Aaron | Art: Ryan Ottley, Iban Coello

In a land beyond time, a shining tower stands, deploying its operatives across the Multiverse to hold against the encroaching darkness! Who is the mysterious Avenger Prime, and how will his advent impact on the past, the present, and the very future of the mighty Avengers?

FCBD 2021 Sonic The Hedgehog 30th Anniversary

IDW | All Ages | Free

Writer: Gale Galligan | Art: Thomas Rothlisberger | Cover: Tracy Yardley

Celebrating 30 years of the world's fastest hedgehog! There's no telling how Sonic will react when he sees the results of Amy Rose's new hobby-she's been making tell-all comics about her adventures with Sonic, Miles "Tails" Prower, and their friends! New York Times bestselling author Gale Galligan (The Baby-Sitters Club graphic novels) spills the beans! Plus, fun extras to catch readers up on Sonic's ongoing adventures, on the road to issue 50!

Sonics 30th anniversary celebration will be a huge priority for IDW and Sega this year!

FCBD 2021 Marvel Silver Spider-Man Venom #1

Marvel | Teen | Free

Writers: Al Ewing, Ram V. | Art: Bryan Hitch

Free Comic Book Day is the perfect chance to dive deep into the Marvel Universe with new stories and exciting adventures alongside some of Marvel's most acclaimed creators - and this year, Marvel is bringing you the biggest and boldest stories yet!

FCBD 2021 Vampirella #1

Dynamite | Teen | Free

Writer: Christopher Priest | Art: Ergun Gunduz | Cover: Alex Ross

In July 1969, the world was first introduced to Vampirella. 50 years later, she doesn't look a day older!!!! As we near the big conclusion of Vampi's gold anniversary this fall, join us in looking back at how the celebration started as we re-present Vampirella #1 by the acclaimed team of Christopher Priest and Ergun Gunduz!  It all began here, and as we near the end, it's time to revisit!

FCBD 2021 Star Wars High Republic Adventures

IDW | All Ages | Free

Writer: Daniel Jose Older | Art: Harvey Tolibao | Art/Cover: Nick Brokenshire

Join Yoda, Buckets o' Blood, and their Padawan learners as they go on an adventure to help maintain peace during the glory days of the Republic, in a prelude to IDW's Star Wars: The High Republic Adventures series! Written by series architect Daniel José Older, this is the ideal entry into the world of the High Republic-and a can't-miss story for fans!"

This will angle more toward the Star Wars: The High Republic Adventures VOL 1 TPB, though Star Wars: The High Republic Adventures #6 remains the start of the next story arc and should be supported within the back matter. Star Wars the High Republic is an incredibly successful initiative of an interconnected mega story told across books, comics and magazines. We had record numbers for our 1st issue!

INFINITE DESTINIES PART 5

Thor Annual #1

Marvel | Teen+ | $4.99

Writers: Aaron Kuder, Jed MacKay  | Art: Juan Ferreyra | Cover: Aaron Kuder | Interconnecting variant: Ron Lim

Thor and the other leaders of the Ten Realms (and, uh, Hawkeye?) have gathered for a World Tree celebration! But the festivities come to an abrupt halt when a mysterious guest — and his otherworldly powers — crashes the party. And his "plus-one" is a dark, twisted version of Thor who is determined to become the iron-fisted ruler of all the realms! 

ALSO IN THIS ISSUE: Part 5 (of 8) of "Infinite Fury"!

CC sez: Someone's always gotta ruin the party, and in this case, it's an alt-version of the Odinson, who has the Destroyer arm we see in some versions of future Thor.

BTW, can anyone save me some research and tell me how our Thor got his real arm back?

SKYBOUND X

Skybound X #3

Image | $4.99

Writers: Robert Kirkman, Joshua Williamson, Kyle Starks | Art: Ryan Ottley, Andrei Bressan, Erica Henderson, Cory Walker | Cover A: Arthur Adams | Cover B: Cory Walker | Cover C: Erica Henderson | Cover D: Daniel Warren Johnson | Cover E 1:10 Incentive Cover: Cory Walker | Cover F 1:10 Incentive Cover: Erica Henderson | Cover G 1:10 Incentive Cover: Daniel Warren Johnson | Cover H 1:25 Incentive Cover: Arthur Adams

Image/Skybound revealed a first look at Skybound X #3, the weekly comic book event that’s both bark AND bite featuring the return of greatest genius canine adventurer AKA Science Dog, and the next chapter of the new The Walking Dead epic “Rick Grimes 2000.” The third issue of this historic weekly event series arrives in July from the star-studded Robert Kirkman, Ryan Ottley, Cory Walker, Daniel Warren Johnson, Kyle Starks and Erica Henderson.

If you want to know what to expect in Skybound’s next ten years, it all continues in this extra-length issue with a celebration of the company’s most acclaimed series including Assassin Nation, featuring the return of fan favorite and the (not) totally-family friendly icon F*ck Tarkington AND a rip-roaring throwdown continuing the incomparable comic book experience known as Murder Falcon.

CC sez: Image has sent me previews of every issue of this title, which I will share with you.

WAR OF THE BOUNTY HUNTERS WEEK 12

Star Wars: Darth Vader #14

Marvel | Teen | $3.99

Writer: Greg Pak | Art: Raffaele Ienco | Cover: Aaron Kuder | Head Shot variant: Giuseppe Camuncoli | LucasFilm 50th Anniversary variant: Chris Sprouse

"THE BLADE BEHIND THE CURTAIN"
•  For decades, no figure has stood as close to the EMPEROR with so much mystery surrounding her.
•  Who is the UMBARAN? What is her role within the EMPIRE and in the WAR OF THE BOUNTY HUNTERS? And what happens when she emerges from the darkness to challenge Darth Vader himself?
•  Featuring an unprecedented look at the inner workings of the Emperor's inner circle — and the return of IG-88

CC sez: Still going.

Star Wars: War of the Bounty Hunters — Jabba the Hutt #1

Marvel | Teen | $4.99

Writer: Justina Ireland | Art: Luca Pizarri with colors by Giada Marchisio, Ibraim Roberson | Cover: Mahmud Asrarwith colors Edgar Delgado | variant: Iban Coello with colors by Jesus Arburtov | variant: Bernard Chang | Head Shot variant: Giuseppe Camuncoli 

New bounty Hunter Deva Lompop will be recruited by Jabba the Hutt to succeed where Boba Fett has failed and bring him Han Solo! Equipped with an array of unique weaponry and sporting a killer design, Deva is set to have a major impact on the action-packed crossover and will appear in all four upcoming War of the Bounty Hunters one-shots.

And while Deva may be new to fans, she’s been causing trouble in the Star Wars galaxy for a very long time. A member of the alien species known as the Shani, Deva’s long lifespan has allowed her to operate in the underworld since the High Republic era, and readers can expect to see her in works set during that time in the near future!

CC sez: Hey, a feathered dinosaur bounty hunter! We probably have enough bounty hunters in the Star Wars universe, but it is a cool look.

What Th--?

Maria Llovet’s Eros Psyche #5

CC sez: Here's a hard-to-miss homage to the not-yet-uncanny X-Men #138.

Trailer Park Boys Get a F#Ing Comic Book #1

Devil's Due | &7.99

Writers: Josh Blaylock, Travis Hymel, Shawn DePasquale, Various | Art: Various | Cover A: Joel H Herrera | Cover B: Josh Blaylock | Cover C: Jose Garibaldi | Cover D: Photo

Devil’s Due Comics and Trailer Park Boys Incorporated have inked a new licensing partnership that will debut the Canadian comedy icons in a variety of comic book specials and series. The fun begins with a limited Preview Book, followed by a combination of Special Edition anthology one-shot & miniseries comics.

CC sez: Evidently, Trailer Park Boys is a long-running (13 seasons and counting) Canadian comedy show about debauched, drunken, petty thieves in a Nova Scotia trailer park that streams on Netflix in the U.S. And here I thought all Canadians were nice!

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –