A Cover a Day

Ok, how about this for an idea.  We take it in turns to post a favourite (British spelling) comic cover every day.  This went really well on the comic fan website that I used to frequent.  What we tried to do was find a theme or subject and follow that, until we all got bored with that theme.  I'd like to propose a theme of letters of the alphabet. So, for the remainder of October (only 5 days) and all of November, we post comic cover pictures associated with the letter "A".  Then in December, we post covers pertaining to the letter "B".  The association to the letter can be as tenuous as you want it to be. For example I could post a cover from "Adventure Comics" or "Amazing Spider Man".  However Spider Man covers can also be posted when we're on the letter "S".  Adventure Comic covers could also be posted when we're on the letter "L" if they depict the Legion of Super Heroes.  So, no real hard, fast rules - in fact the cleverer the interpretation of the letter, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

And it's not written in stone that we have to post a cover every day. There may be some days when no cover gets posted. There's nothing wrong with this, it just demonstrates that we all have lives to lead.

If everyone's in agreement I'd like to kick this off with one of my favourite Action Comic covers, from January 1967. Curt Swan really excelled himself here.

Discussion and voting on future monthly themes takes place on the "A Cover A Day: Nominations, Themes and Statistics" thread.  Click here to view the thread, or here to go to its last reply.

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• The "Planet DC" covers have given a foretaste of next month's theme of "Foreign (non-US) locations".  Here's another, the Phantom on a cover from Norway showing the flag of the United Nations.

7164409670?profile=RESIZE_710x

• Some additional crossovers with next month's theme:

1. Captain Israel. I can only fine references to two issues, so I don't know if it lasted any longer than that.

7164777472?profile=RESIZE_710xCaptain Lithuania. This is a cosplay, but still:

7164785497?profile=RESIZE_710x

• One has to think this was a case of “cover first, story second.”

7164952857?profile=RESIZE_710x

• They'll be wiped out to the last man!

Is Mr. Can-move-planets-fly-faster-than-light-and-incidentally-loves-expository-thought-balloons Silver Age Superman not thinking of intervening on behalf of his pal, then?

Dave Palmer said:

One has to think this was a case of “cover first, story second.”

7164952857?profile=RESIZE_710x

• I’m going to clear these out of my files.  They are pulp covers that transition from last month (the moon) to this month (flags).  I didn’t use them then, but better late than never.

7166995476?profile=RESIZE_710x
    7166997881?profile=RESIZE_710x
    7167000652?profile=RESIZE_710x

• Peter Wrexham said:

Incidentally, the map on this cover depicts Great Britain, but labels it "England", thus omitting Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

To make up slightly for that omission, I have just (in the last hour or so!) found this cover depicting a version of the Scottish flag (the Saltire or St Andrew's Cross).

7168791461?profile=RESIZE_710x

No flags for Wales or Northern Ireland, I'm afraid.fDIislR.gif

• I’m impressed that Peter found a cover with the United Nations flag and also found a cover with the flag of Scotland. I tried and struck out.

The Union Jack of the United Kingdom is easy to find. The individual flags that were combined to make up the Union Jack are hard to find on a comic cover, so here they are, in no particular order.

7169653052?profile=RESIZE_710x

The flag of England (Cross of Saint George)

7169655684?profile=RESIZE_710x

The flag of Scotland (Cross of Saint Andrew)

7169660094?profile=RESIZE_710x

Flag of Saint Patrick (representing Ireland and later Northern Ireland). The flag of Great Britain before Ireland was incorporated into the United Kingdom was lacking this cross. I always watch for this on (American) Revolutionary War historic shows because it shouldn’t be there.

7169664287?profile=RESIZE_710x

The flag of Wales, which gets no respect on the Union Jack.

• "The flag of Wales, which gets no respect on the Union Jack."

I did manage to find a version of the Welsh Red Dragon earlier in the month, albeit on a shield rather than a flag.  Also the Scottish Lion Rampant, and the English Lions Passant, but sadly no Irish symbol.

Peter Wrexham said on July 16, 2020:

As an alternative to national flags as patriotic symbols, this cover shows the coats of arms of Scotland, Wales, Richard I of England (aka Richard the Lion-Heart), and the kings of France.

6934497284?profile=RESIZE_710x

(Also a couple of other, unidentified, shields).

• August 2020 - Foreign locations (non-US).

• I'll start off our "foreign" covers with a classic, a Belgian adventurer in Tibet:

7172091891?profile=RESIZE_710x

(This story was my first encounter with Tintin)

This reply was deleted.