A Cover a Day

Ok, how about this for an idea.  We take it in turns to post a favourite (British spelling) comic cover every day.  This went really well on the comic fan website that I used to frequent.  What we tried to do was find a theme or subject and follow that, until we all got bored with that theme.  I'd like to propose a theme of letters of the alphabet. So, for the remainder of October (only 5 days) and all of November, we post comic cover pictures associated with the letter "A".  Then in December, we post covers pertaining to the letter "B".  The association to the letter can be as tenuous as you want it to be. For example I could post a cover from "Adventure Comics" or "Amazing Spider Man".  However Spider Man covers can also be posted when we're on the letter "S".  Adventure Comic covers could also be posted when we're on the letter "L" if they depict the Legion of Super Heroes.  So, no real hard, fast rules - in fact the cleverer the interpretation of the letter, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

And it's not written in stone that we have to post a cover every day. There may be some days when no cover gets posted. There's nothing wrong with this, it just demonstrates that we all have lives to lead.

If everyone's in agreement I'd like to kick this off with one of my favourite Action Comic covers, from January 1967. Curt Swan really excelled himself here.

Discussion and voting on future monthly themes takes place on the "Nominations, Themes and Statistics for A Cover A Day" thread.  Click here to view the thread.

1801667745?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• No matter how you examine the issue, there is no question in my mind that Wallace Wood was an artistic genius. (Images courtesy of the Grand Comics Database.)

12905290288?profile=RESIZE_400x

12905291289?profile=RESIZE_400x

12905296268?profile=RESIZE_400x

12905298267?profile=RESIZE_400x

• I second that Lee.   Last few from me drawn by Mr Wallace Wood.

12906228269?profile=RESIZE_930x

• 12906231066?profile=RESIZE_710x

• 12906235058?profile=RESIZE_930x

• Just loved that month and loved all those Wood covers.  Now on to September - a month I've been looking forward to for 49 years. During this month I officially retire and start to collect my state pension - can't wait!  Hopefully more time to hunt down appropriate covers. 

• Congratulations on the forthcoming retirement, Steve!  No doubt the excitement it's engendered is the reason you failed to notice that I'd already posted the cover of Weird Science #15 two days ago (page 2543) wink.  I hope you'll enjoy being retired as much as I have for the last dozen or so years.  (I took early retirement, so I'm not quite as old as that makes me sound!)

And here's one final Wally Wood cover from me, chosen because it's just so odd!

12906440097?profile=RESIZE_584x

P.S. Steve:

At Richard's suggestion, I've changed the title of the voting thread from "A Cover A Day: Nominations, Themes and Statistics" to "Nominations, Themes and Statistics for A Cover A Day".  You may care to make the same change in the final paragraph at the top of this thread.  Also, the link which used to take you to the last reply of the other thread no longer works since the migration to Ning 3.0.  I'd suggest deleting the second part of the final sentence of that paragraph:

"Click here to view the thread, or here to go to its last reply."

• Comments on Mr Wood’s cover:

• I would bet that if he shot it in the eye or mouth, it would work.
      • The woman should rethink hanging on the leg of the guy who’s trying to aim.
  • 12906927268?profile=RESIZE_400x
    12906927466?profile=RESIZE_400xWood and others

12906927495?profile=RESIZE_400xand a transition:  #9 and Wood inks

12906928471?profile=RESIZE_400x

• Amazing Spider-Man #9 was my introduction to the character, off the spinner rack. Except for the spider-bite and superpowers, we had a lot in common.

12907131288?profile=RESIZE_400x

• I probably won't be around the thread as much this month, but someone had to post this one:

12907410891?profile=RESIZE_584x

This reply was deleted.