NOTE: Go HERE for Full List.

TOP 5 PUBLISHERS

MARVEL COMICS

• Doctor Strange guest stars in BLADE #4.
  • CAPTAIN MARVEL: GENIS-VELL BY PETER DAVID OMNIBUS HC collects all 61 issues of Genis-Vell's two solo series.
  • DAREDEVIL #183 FACSIMILE EDITION features the first meeting between DD and The Punisher.
  • GHOST RIDER EPIC COLLECTION: VENGEANCE REBORN TP features the arrival of Danny Ketch as the second Spirit of Vengeance. Collects Ghost Rider (1990) #1-12; Marc Spector: Moon Knight #25; Doctor Strange, Sorcerer Supreme #28 and material from Marvel Comics Presents (1988) #64-71.
  • MARVEL AGE OMNIBUS VOL 1 HC collects the first three years of Marvel's promo magazine. I honestly have no idea why anyone would want this.
  • "Dark Droids" continues in STAR WARS: DARK DROIDS #3.
  • WHAT IF …? INTO THE MULTIVERSE VOL 1 OMNIBUS HC begins collecting the second What If ...? title from 1989.
  • "Fall of X" continues in X-MEN RED #16 and (tangentially) WOLVERINE #38.

CAPWOLF & THE HOWLING COMMANDOS #1 (OF 4)

12243883262?profile=RESIZE_400xStory: Stephanie Phillips | Art: Carlos Magno | Cover: Ryan Brown | Variants: Jack Kirby, Gary Frank, Declan Shalvey | 40 pages | Teen+ | $4.99

In the early '90s, Steve Rogers transformed into CAPWOLF in writer Mark Gruenwald and artist Rik Levins’ unforgettable “Man and Wolf” story arc. Now over 30 years later, CAPWOLF is back in his own limited series, CAPWOLF & THE HOWLING COMMMANDOS!

Written by Stephanie Phillips and drawn by Carlos Magno, this four-issue limited series will tell an all-new story where Steve becomes a terrifying werewolf during an early World War II mission. Luckily, his fiercest allies are by his side--Nick Fury and the Howling Commandos! After years of combat, this elite squad of soldiers thought they’ve seen it all but this might be their wildest adventure yet as the series captures the spirit of Stan Lee and Jack Kirby’s classic wartime storytelling with a modern mystical twist!

When Captain America is transformed into a werewolf on the front lines of World War II, he’ll need the help of the Howling Commandos to take down a band of Nazi cultists who intend to use supernatural forces to turn the tide of battle. But can Cap control the skeptical, jaded Commandos when he can barely control himself?

“This is the kind of story I was dying to tell at Marvel, blending my love of historical fiction with the incredible history of the characters in the Marvel Universe,” Phillips told AiPT. “CapWolf and the Howling Commandos may be a war story, but it also has horror, romance, and a few new characters that we introduce along the way. And just wait until you see Carlos Magno’s incredible artwork on this series…”

Check out an assortment of covers, including a Hidden Gem wraparound piece using Jack Kirby art of the original Howling Commandos and the issue two cover! And be there when the Marvel Universe hears Capwolf’s howl once again this October! 

• This looks like a lot of fun, and is doing a lot more with the concept than Mark Gruenwald did.
  • I sure didn't expect a wraparound cover from 1963 Sgt. Fury!
  • Here's a PREVIEW.

12183341873?profile=RESIZE_180x18012183342090?profile=RESIZE_400x12183342454?profile=RESIZE_180x180

SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN RETURNS #1 (ONE-SHOT)

12158435500?profile=RESIZE_400xStory: Dan Slott | Art: Giuseppe Camuncoli, Humberto Ramos, Mark Bagley, Ryan Stegman | Cover: Ryan Stegman | Variants: Ken Lashley, Humberto Ramos, Giuseppe Camuncoli | 48 pages | Teen | $6.99

SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN WEB-SLINGS AGAIN!

Otto Octavius is back as the Superior Spider-Man! Teased last week, the spider-team that redefined the Amazing Spider-Man will reunite to celebrate the 10th anniversary of the most monumental and shocking Spidey story in a generation in SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN RETURNS #1! Superior Spidey creators Dan Slott and Ryan Stegman will be joined by superstar artists Mark Bagley, Giuseppe Camuncoli, and Humberto Ramos to deliver a Spider-Man story SUPERIOR to all others in this giant-sized one-shot.

The era of SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN that kicked off when a dying Doctor Octopus swapped his mind into Peter Parker’s body was a mega hit with fans in 2013. Determined to prove himself better in every single way, Doc Ock ruthlessly made his way through Spider-Man’s legendary rogues' gallery, shocking fellow heroes with his violent approach to crimefighting before learning harsh lessons about great responsibility. Did Doc Ock have his fill of the web-head lifestyle or is ready to trade in his metal arms and be the smartest, strongest super hero in the Marvel Universe once more?

“A run that started with outrage ended with nearly universal accolades,” Executive Editor Nick Lowe shared. “So we were super excited to gather the folks who made SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN the historic book it was back together!!!”

“The challenge Marvel gave me was: for the 10th anniversary, how can we revisit Superior, without repeating ourselves, and while telling a story that impacts Spider-Man's world today?” Slott explained. “SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN RETURNS is going to take an untold Superior tale, and drag it kicking, screaming, and violently exploding into the present. It's going to give you everything you liked about Superior but in new surprising ways. No time travel. No clones. And no way we're telling you how. Read the book!”

• I'm as disilliusioned as the next crotchedy old man about today's Spider-Man, but I actually enjoyed Superior Spider-Man (and Superior Foes of Spider-Man). I might read this on Unlimited.

Here's a PREVIEW.

CAPTAIN MARVEL: ASSAULT ON EDEN #1 (ONE-SHOT)

12239013473?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story: Anthony Oliveira, Maria Frohlich | Art: Eleonora Carlini, Maria Frohlich | Cover: Carlos E. Gomez | Kids to Adults | $4.99 Variant:  David Baldeón | All Ages | $3.99

CAPTAIN MARVEL SOLDIERS UP TO SAVE THE KREE HOMEWORLD!

The Kree home planet of Hala has become a paradise under the rule of Emperor Hulkling. But when Sentries launch an attack on civilians and start stealing children, Earth's Mightiest Hero must intervene! Half Kree, half human and all warrior, Carol Danvers swoops in for an action-packed special just in time for The Marvels on the silver screen!

• I assume this is leading into another series. After all, she has a movie coming up!
  • Love seeing a Sentry again!
  • Here's a PREVIEW.

DC COMICS

• DEAD BOY DETECTIVES OMNIBUS HC (SANDMAN UNIVERSE CLASSICS) collects the original adventures of  Charles and Edwin, before the recent revival. That includes The Sandman #25, The Children's Crusade #1-2, The Sandman Presents: The Dead Boy Detectives #1-4, Dead Boy Detectives #1-12, and Jill Thompson's "The Dead Boy Detectives," an original middle chapter to the Children's Crusade from Free Country: A Tale of the Children's Crusade; stories from Vertigo: Winter's Edge #3, Ghosts #1, Time Warp #1, and The Witching Hour #1; and pages from Death: At Death's Door, Swamp Thing Annual #7, and Doom Patrol Annual #2. I rather like the Dead Boys.
  • DIANA AND THE HERO'S JOURNEY TP is for kids.
  • GREEN LANTERN #4 guest stars The Flash. Since the GL is Hal, I assume The Flash is Barry, but these days you never know.
  • WONDER WOMAN: BLOOD AND GUTS THE DELUXE EDITION HC collects the Brian Azzarello-Cliff Chiang parts of Wonder Woman (fourth series, New 52) #0-12. I know some people didn't care for it, but some of Azzarello's innovations were worth keeping, and some of them were.
  • WONDER WOMAN: THE SILVER AGE OMNIBUS VOL. 2 HC collects Wonder Woman (first series) #124-149. Yay! This actually catches up to where my collection begins.

WESLEY DODDS: THE SANDMAN #1 (OF 6)

12239007067?profile=RESIZE_180x18012239007268?profile=RESIZE_180x18012239007095?profile=RESIZE_180x180

Story: Robert Venditti | Art/Cover: Riley Rossmo |Variants: Baldemar Rivas, Keron Grant, Riley Rossmo ($6.99) | $3.99/$4.99 (card stock)

THE GOLDEN AGE SANDMAN RETURNS IN A NEW NOIR MYSTERY! No one escapes the Sandman's dark dreams, not even Wesley Dodds himself. After years of testing and experimentation, Wesley perfected his sleep gas as the optimal weapon to fight crime without causing undue harm. But when his journal detailing all his failed and far more deadly formulas is stolen, the Sandman must hunt down the thief and the people in the shadows pulling the strings before the contents of the journal are released!

• I really enjoyed Sandman Mystery Theatre. Noir-ish mysteries, which I enjoy, plus Dodds operated like I imagine an actual vigilante would — like a burglar, avoiding confrontations wherever possible. If somebody ran across him rifling through a desk or whatever, he'd put them to sleep with his gas gun and run away. The thing about getting into fights is that you might lose, and all you have to do is lose once for someone to put you out of the way permanently. (And besides, as depicted, Dodds wasn't much of a fighter, like most of us.) It was really easy to relate to Dodds, who was driven to do what he did, and Dian Belmont, who just really got a charge (possibly sexual) out of it. Neither were pictures of good mental health, which is pretty believable. Hoping for more of the same.

12243056681?profile=RESIZE_180x18012243056853?profile=RESIZE_180x18012243056867?profile=RESIZE_180x18012243056878?profile=RESIZE_180x18012243057069?profile=RESIZE_180x18012243057475?profile=RESIZE_180x180

BATMAN: CITY OF MADNESS #1 (OF 3)

12239004284?profile=RESIZE_400x12239004652?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story/Art/Cover: Christian Ward | Variants: Bill Sienkiewicz, Martin Simmonds, Christian Ward | 48 pages | Prestige Plus |  | $6.99 (all covers are card stock)

VISIONARY CREATOR CHRISTIAN WARD UNLEASHES A COSMIC-HORROR EPIC, FEATURING THE COURT OF OWLS! Buried deep beneath Gotham City there exists another Gotham. This Gotham Below is a living nightmare, populated by twisted mirrors of our Gotham's denizens, fueled by the fear and hatred flowing down from above. For decades, the doorway between the cities has been sealed and heavily guarded by the Court of Owls. But now the door swings wide, and the twisted version of the Dark Knight has escaped ... to trap and train a Robin of his own. Batman must form an uneasy alliance with the Court and its deadly allies to stop him — and to hold back the wave of twisted supervillains, nightmarish versions of his own nemeses, each one worse than the last, that's spilling into his streets!

Visionary writer-artist Christian Ward unleashes his cosmic-horror take on Batman's world, in a tribute to disturbing Dark Knight classics like Batman: Arkham Asylum and Batman: Gothic! You'll never look at Batman's villains the same way again ... you simply won't have the stomach for it!

• Looks like a good candidate for tradewaiting.

12243058698?profile=RESIZE_180x18012243059059?profile=RESIZE_180x18012243059066?profile=RESIZE_400x12243059258?profile=RESIZE_180x18012243058899?profile=RESIZE_180x18012243059654?profile=RESIZE_180x18012243059668?profile=RESIZE_180x180

IMAGE COMICS

A HAUNTED GIRL #1 (OF 4)

12150396876?profile=RESIZE_400xStory: Ethan Sacks, Naomi Sacks | Art: Marco Lorenzano | Cover: Joe Quesada | Variants: Ossio, Yamada, Quesada, Edwards | $4.99

Launching from this Fall from Image Comics/Syzygy comes a gripping four-issue horror miniseries titled, A Haunted Girl. Co-written by the father-daughter team of Ethan Sacks (Star Wars: Bounty Hunters) and Naomi Sacks, with art by Marco Lorenzana (Incredible Hulk), this paranormal thriller channels terrors both otherworldly as well as the real-life terror that comes with struggles of anxiety and depression.

In A Haunted Girl, readers meet Cleo, a 16-year-old adopted Japanese American whose anxiety and depression drives her to suicidal thoughts, is fresh out of the hospital and trying unsuccessfully to reintegrate back into her old life. What she doesn't know is that her real struggles are just beginning as she finds herself encountering an increasingly terrifying succession of ghosts. Is she losing her grip on reality … or is the explanation much, much worse?

“Four years ago, while my daughter was hospitalized, I came up with the idea of a story about a girl who’s battling depression and finds out she’s the sole hope to save the world,” said Ethan Sacks. “That she would find a way to endure and to save everyone she loves. It was meant to be uplifting and cathartic. Now four years later, my daughter is in a place where she could help write that story. To inspire others going through similar struggles. As a father, I’m proud.  As a comic book writer, I’m inspired. As a human being, I’m moved.”

“I’ve always loved writing. And with A Haunted Girl there was a chance for me to work on a story that is very personal,” said Naomi Sacks. “Cleo, the main character, goes through a lot of the same struggles that I did and feels hopeless at many times as I did. But that she perseveres is inspirational to me, too."

• New Image horror book this week #1.

12243051865?profile=RESIZE_180x18012243052056?profile=RESIZE_180x180

12243051296?profile=RESIZE_180x180

DESTINY GATE #1 (OF 4)

12144733289?profile=RESIZE_710x12144734255?profile=RESIZE_710xStory: Ryan Cady | Art/Cover: Christian DiBari | Variants: Ekedal, Cafaro | $3.99

Top Cow Productions, Inc., the company behind The Darkness and Cyber Force, will partner with EP1T0ME Studios, Inc. to co-produce and to publish Destiny Gate, a new horror, noir thriller series.

Destiny Gate, a blend of Inception and Amnesia: The Dark Descent, is an action-packed, immersive series based on the game concept by Paul Limon and being penned by Ryan Cady (Haunt You to the End, The Joker, Magdalena), illustrated by Christian DiBari (Revolvers, The Clay People: Colossus, Tales Told in Techni-Horror) and colored by Simon Gough.

“I told Paul, an ex-Blizzard artist, that his Destiny Gate game pitch was one of the best I’d ever read;" said Richard Leibowitz, President at EP1T0ME. "We’re happy to work with Paul and Top Cow to make the comic and look forward to making the game next.”

The debut title’s solicitation for issue #1 states:

Life, for the most part, is the product of the decisions you make. For some, a “wrong” decision or two (or more) leads to a crossroads on the other side of the Destiny Gate. Do you fight for a chance to survive and to start anew, or do you succumb to your inner demons and end it all for you and, worse, yours? In this opening tale, we meet Mitchell Slate at the height of the Great Depression. Down on his luck and heading home to a disappointed and desperate family, Mitchell’s train ride veers off the rails and transforms into a macabre and darkly fantastical journey into his own fragile soul.

Matt Hawkins, President of Top Cow Productions said of this complex storyline: “Destiny Gate is one of the more interesting supernatural stories we've ever done. Ryan Cady and Christian Dibari deliver on this one. I love this book!"

“The narrative and artistic elements playing out in Destiny Gate are among my favorites — mind-bending horror, surrealist psychological architecture, and of course, radical art deco design. “ said Cady. “With everything to play with here, it’s been a thrill to translate the immersive horror of a game like this into comic book form.”

DiBari added: “It is great reuniting with Ryan Cady who, like me, is a huge horror fan. Inspired by films like Dark City and Jacob's Ladder and Ryan’s scripts, I use heavy shadows and different kinds of brushes to push the visual look more in a noir direction with nightmarish images.”

Horror fans with interests beyond comics are going to enjoy the new noir world that Cady and DiBari have developed2.

• New Image horror book this week #2.

12243052291?profile=RESIZE_180x180

12144732692?profile=RESIZE_584x

MIDLIFE (OR HOW TO HERO AT FIFTY!)

12219562654?profile=RESIZE_400xStory: Brian Buccellato | Art/Covers: Stefano Simeone | $3.99

New York Times bestselling writer Brian Buccellato (No/One, The Flash, Chicken Devil) will re-team with artist Stefano Simeone (The Last Days of Black Hammer, Radiant Black) for an all-new character-driven superhero series in the upcoming, Midlife (Or How to Hero at Fifty!). This ongoing series is set to launch in October from Image Comics.

Ruben Kwan is a 50-year-old firefighter who’s been afraid of fire his whole life. Instead of running into burning buildings, he pushes papers, living in the shadow of his father — who died a hero on the job. After 25 years in the LAFD, he’s firmly in the middle of an unremarkable life … until his new wife gets pregnant and a random act of courage reveals that Ruben is FIREPROOF! Readers won’t want to miss out on this totally relatable (sometimes cringey) story of a middle-aged dad who’s about to find out that his new powers have major strings attached.

"I'm super excited to tell this weirdly personal story that is tonally closer to my recent Aftershock series, Chicken Devil," said Buccellato. "It's a combination of grounded, humorous, dark, and absurd — featuring a biracial 50-year-old rookie hero who accepts the challenge of using his newfound powers for good ... even if he does have a bad back and creaky knees. It's also an opportunity to tell a superhero story from a different point of view, with a protagonist who is half Chinese and half Puerto Rican and drawn from my own life experience as a father starting a new family again at 50.

Simeone added: "When Brian first talked to me about his idea for Midlife my son had just been born, so I can relate a lot with this. Ruben is 50 and I’m in my 30s, but I feel older. So now I just need superpowers. I hope people will enjoy this series, it has so much heart and action, I think we all need someone like Ruben to protect us in real life."

• I don't really find anything enjoyable about aging. Maybe I should try laughing at it.

12219562664?profile=RESIZE_180x18012219562862?profile=RESIZE_180x18012219562878?profile=RESIZE_180x18012219562893?profile=RESIZE_180x18012219563073?profile=RESIZE_180x180

NIGHTS #1

12144715062?profile=RESIZE_400x12144714877?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story: Wyatt Kennedy | Art/Cover: Luigi Formisano | Mature| $4.99

Rising superstar writer Wyatt Kennedy (Bolero) teams with up-and-coming artist Luigi Formisano for an all new, ongoing series in the forthcoming Nights. This new vision of urban fantasy adventure launches in October from Image Comics.

It's 2003, Supernatural creatures casually exist amongst humans, and America is made up of 31 states. Vince Okonma has lost his parents, moved in with his secret mercenary cousin, his video game-making roommate, and befriends "the greatest vampire who's ever lived." And that's just the first 20 pages. Welcome to Florida, youth is wasted on the young …

Perhaps best described as Fright Night meets Scott Pilgrim, this vampy new series is a must-read and features anime influences, gamer culture and found family.

“Comparisons get thrown around for new comics all the time, and this one is no different, but there really isn’t anything like this on the racks right now," said Eric Stephenson, Publisher at Image Comics. "Wyatt and Luigi are building a fascinating world here, full of curious situations and captivating characters, and I’m excited for readers to experience the thrill of diving into a new series so rich with possibilities."

Kennedy added: "I basically wanted to make the greatest Toonami show that never existed. There's so many bizarre genre-bending elements with horror, comedy, action, and romance, but the characters are the true heart of this story. Expect an episodic start to the 'season' as it were, but we're ramping up to tell an incredible near apocalyptic event love story. It genuinely feels like a limitless world and watching it brought to life with such care from one of my best friends, Luigi, Francesco (our colorist), Maria (our letterer), my fantastic editor Alana Fox, and all the wonderful people at Image has been a dream come true. It's gonna be a weird one, so buckle up!"

• New Image horror book this week #3. Ish.

12144714893?profile=RESIZE_710x12144715261?profile=RESIZE_710x12144715454?profile=RESIZE_710x12144715091?profile=RESIZE_180x18012144715874?profile=RESIZE_180x180

WALKING DEAD 20TH ANNIVERSARY BOX SET #1

12243068477?profile=RESIZE_400xImage Comics/Skybound Entertainment is pleased to release early photos of the highly anticipated, limited edition The Walking Dead 20th Anniversary Box Sets. From the bestselling writer/creator behind Invincible, Firepower, Outcast and Oblivion Song — Robert Kirkman — dive into the first, career-making chapters of his oeuvre. A must-have for any walker fan.

These stunning specimens will hold the original black & white trade paperback volumes of the long-running, Eisner Award winning comic book series into four affordable packages. The Walking Dead 20th Anniversary Box Set #1 will include volumes 1-8 (featuring art by Tony Moore and Charlie Adlard), The Walking Dead 20th Anniversary Box Set #2 will include volumes 9-16 (featuring art by Adlard), The Walking Dead 20th Anniversary Box Set #3 will include volumes 17-24 (featuring art by Adlard), and The Walking Dead 20th Anniversary Box Set #4 (featuring art by Adlard) will include volumes 25-32.

"It’s staggering to me that after 20 years this series is still in demand and still expanding into different formats," said Kirkman. "It’s humbling to be hearing stories of this series now being passed down to the next generation of fans, and maybe those fans need a sturdy box for their books to live in."

Eric Stephenson, Publisher and Chief Creative Officer at Image Comics, added: “When we first launched The Walking Dead in 2003, no one could have guessed that it would go on to become one of our most successful series ever, let alone an international cultural phenomenon, but the stories collected in these four box sets serve as an excellent reminder of not only the series’ broad appeal, but the talent and commitment of Robert Kirkman and his various collaborators.”

The Walking Dead first launched in 2003 from Image Comics and garnered critical acclaim and an escalating sales track record before Hollywood picked up the hot IP and the series was adapted from TV by AMC in 2010. It was also in 2010 that Kirkman teamed up with David Alpert to launch the multiplatform entertainment company, Skybound Entertainment, which would expand his — and others’ — IP beyond comics into other mediums. The Walking Dead has since gone on to become a pop culture phenomenon inspiring everything from hit video games, novelizations, merchandise, and a multitude of multimedia spin-offs across the walker universe. The series has sold over 45 million copies across multiple formats and has been translated into 21 languages globally. It remains the quintessential Dystopian graphic novel horror story and arguably the most successful zombie story of all time.

• Wait, don't I have all these comics in hardback already? Why, yes I do.

12233188870?profile=RESIZE_180x18012233189082?profile=RESIZE_180x18012233189093?profile=RESIZE_180x18012233189458?profile=RESIZE_180x18012233189654?profile=RESIZE_180x180

THE WALKING DEAD DELUXE #73

12175321469?profile=RESIZE_400xToday Skybound revealed a breathtaking set of all-new The Walking Dead Deluxe connecting variant covers from award-winning comics legend J.H. Williams III (Detective Comics, Batwoman). Covering the “Too Far Gone” arc of the landmark comic series, Williams III’s covers showcase a breathtaking depiction of fan-favorite characters. 

These all-new covers will appear as variants to The Walking Dead Deluxe #73-78, with each issue presenting the series in full color format for the first time from writer/creator Robert Kirkman, with art by Charlie Adlard and colors by Dave McCaig. Fans will also receive a new look at the worldwide pop culture phenomenon with pinups and exclusive “Cutting Room Floor” commentary by Kirkman, celebrating the secret history of the series.

• Subtext: "We want all of your money!"

12175321281?profile=RESIZE_180x18012175320888?profile=RESIZE_180x18012175321659?profile=RESIZE_180x18012175321678?profile=RESIZE_180x18012175322267?profile=RESIZE_180x180

12175321097?profile=RESIZE_710x

DARK HORSE

ANIMALHEADS TP

10994031663?profile=RESIZE_400x

Story: Son M. | Art/Cover: Sam Curtis | $24.99

Dark Horse Books is proud to announce a new partnership with Tapas Entertainment to bring some of their most popular webcomics to print! Beginning in October 2023, comics readers will be able to add hit titles like Animalheads, Signals, The Flying Ship and Tomahawk Angel to their physical libraries.

“We couldn’t be more excited about this partnership,” said Alex R. Carr, Sr. Director of Publisher Development at Tapas Entertainment. “Seeing these creators and their stories in the Dark Horse pantheon is a dream come true for all involved.”

Animalheads by writer Son M (Thief of the Heights, Death’s Diner) and artist Sam Curtis (A Vampire in Paris, Drac, Son of Dante) is a slam-dunk of an action thriller comic! When four best friends enter adulthood with no job prospects and the insatiable pressures of family hanging over them, they get creative — the more dangerous the gig, the richer the reward. What starts off as a part-time venture scaring people quickly spirals out of control, pulling them headfirst into a waking nightmare when they unknowingly cross a violent crime syndicate. Now, their survival is on a knife’s edge as they become the newest outfit in the criminal underworld.

• I hate it when I accidentally become a criminal mastermind.

CRITICAL ROLE: THE MIGHTY NEIN ORIGINS LIBRARY EDITION

10953862900?profile=RESIZE_400xStory: Sam Maggs, Jody Houser, Cecil Castellucci | Art: Selina Espiritu, Will Kirkby | $49.99

Dark Horse Books and Critical Role present Critical Role: The Mighty Nein Origins Library Edition Volume 1! This first of two oversized volumes collects the whimsical, tragic, and sometimes haunting backstories of Jester Lavorre, Caleb Widogast, Yasha Nydoorin, and Nott the Brave. These stories are each available as a standalone graphic novel, but now, this Library Edition collects them all together in one oversized volume. Like the Mighty Nein, these stories are better together, including an expanded sketchbook section and all-new cover art by Robynn Frauhn.

The first story in this library collection features Jester Lavorre. Dive into the mystery of Jester's early years as the daughter of the famed Ruby of the Sea, witness her first meeting with the Traveler, and watch the fateful events unfold that set her on a path to eventually join the Mighty Nein. Written by Sam Maggs, with art by Hunter Severn Bonyun, colors by Cathy Le, and letters by Ariana Maher, in consultation with Laura Bailey and Matthew Mercer of Critical Role.

In the second collected story, written by Jody Houser, with art by Selina Espiritu, colors by Diana Sousa, and returning letterer Ariana Maher, with consultation from Critical Role’s Liam O’Brien and Matthew Mercer, explore the troubled past of Bren Aldric Eremund of the Soltryce Academy and witness his transformation into Caleb Widogast of the Mighty Nein.

The third story in this collection — the revelation of Yasha Nydoorin’s tumultuous past — features the work of writer Cecil Castellucci, artist William Kirkby, colorist Diana Sousa and letterer Ariana Maher, with consultation from Critical Role’s Ashley Johnson and Matthew Mercer. For Yasha, there has always been a storm on the horizon. Maybe it formed with her adoption by the Dolorov people in the harsh lands of Xhorhas. Or perhaps when she fell for her first love, Zuala. Or still later, when grief and madness drove her from her village and out into –– somewhere else. Maybe, on the other hand, Yasha IS the storm.

Finally, writer Sam Maggs, artist William Kirkby, Eren Angiolini, and letterer Ariana Maher, with consultation from Matthew Mercer and Sam Riegel of Critical Role, detail Veth Brenatto’s tragic tale of transformation. When the comfortable life with the family she loves is turned upside down by a goblin raid, Veth discovers a new side of herself …and is doomed to become the goblin Nott the Brave of the Mighty Nein.

Praise for Critical Role: The Mighty Nein Origins:

“Critical Role fans will leap at this opportunity to delve further into the background of their favorite characters, whilst newcomers looking for a jumping on point will find this a welcome read.” — Turnaround UK

“Mighty Nein Origins: Caleb Widogast is an excellent adaptation of Caleb’s backstory and comes to us from some very talented creators.” — Gate Crashers

• I ignore video games entirely, so my only clue that this Critical Role thing must be popular is how many of these books DH is producing.

OPERATION SUNSHINE #1 (OF 4)

12158415660?profile=RESIZE_180x18012158414681?profile=RESIZE_180x18012158414883?profile=RESIZE_180x180

Story: Henry Zebrowski, Marcus Parks | Art/Cover: David Rubin | $3.99

Dark Horse Comics presents Operation Sunshine, an all-new humorous horror series from the New York Times bestsellers and hosts of The Last Podcast on the Left, Henry Zebrowski and Marcus Parks (DC Horror Presents: Soul Plumber). David Rubín (Black Hammer) joins as artist, along with K.J. Diaz (The Ones) as colorist, and Ferran Delgado as letterer. Operation Sunshine #1 will also feature variant covers by David Aja (The Seeds) and Malachi Ward (Black Hammer).

A group of young, alienated vampires known as "bugs" plot to steal a magical object from ancient monstrous vampires to turn themselves back to human. Along the way they uncover a sprawling monster underground, a top-secret plot run by the elder creatures, elite militant vampire slayers and madness beyond imagining blocking their path to humanity.

Praise for DC Horror Presents: Soul Plumber:

“It seems a little strange to call a horror comic rooted in religion and populated by uncomfortable characters with art and colors that make one feel like they need to wash their hands after reading them a masterpiece, especially after only one issue, but that's what Soul Plumber is.” — Comicbook.com

“A story that calls back to the early ages of Vertigo Comics, a combination of humor, filth, and anti-gospel that could have fit into the pages of any of the early 90s British invasion.” -- Comics Bookcase

DC Horror Presents: Soul Plumber sets the standard for what can be achieved when fresh voices are given a platform to express themselves.” — CBR

• The vampire  in the third cover on the left looks like a grown-up Eddie Munster.

SPACE USAGI: YOKAI HUNTER #1 (ONE-SHOT)

12243064253?profile=RESIZE_400x12243064271?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story/Art: Stan Sakai | $4.99

Fans of the legendary swordsman and wanderer Usagi Yojimbo have enjoyed countless tales crafted by the equally legendary comic creator Stan Sakai (Usagi Yojimbo, 47 Ronin). Featuring colors by Emi Fujii (Moon Knight: Black, White & Blood, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles/Usagi Yojimbo: Where When) Space Usagi: Yokai Hunter follows an all-new, full-color adventure for the rabbit ronin.

The tales of Usagi Yojimbo have been told over hundreds, perhaps thousands, of years. Someone in the far future enjoys another classic adventure in the Space Usagi universe with a unique new story. Even in space, there is no shortage of dangers, warring foes, daring deeds and supernatural horrors to hone the skills of a descendant of 17th-century samurai Miyamoto Usagi.

Praise for Stan Sakai and Usagi Yojimbo:

“Stan Sakai has successfully brought to American comics a collection of Japanese fables well told in the American style. Usagi Yojimbo is an enduring work. Bravo.” — Will Eisner

“Sakai is a master of his craft.” — IGN.com

“Sakai delivers on the action, humor and layers it all with his signature mix of Japanese mythology and anthropomorphic animals.” — ComicsVerse

“I think Usagi Yojimbo is one of the most original, innovative, well-executed comic books anywhere to be found. Stan’s style of artwork, his crisp incisive writing, and his thoroughly professional pacing, all done in a relaxed and absorbed manner, have provided comics with something so rarely seen in this field — a new literary and artistic approach to illustrated storytelling.” — Stan Lee

IDW PUBLISHING

30 DAYS OF NIGHT gets the deluxe treatment this week.

Comic-strip collectors' alert: BLOOM COUNTY LIBRARY BOOK 3 SC

IDW is going to collect all of its Godzilla series, miniseries and one-shots, beginning with GODZILLA LIBRARY COLLECTION VOL 1 TP.

MORE COMICS

Archie's BETTY AND VERONICA JUMBO COMICS DIGEST #318 has two stories with non-Riverdale guest stars, The Web in one and Genger Snapp in the other.

Dynamite is launching another Army of Darkness title, where Bruce Campbell is thankfully still in his thirties, with AOD FOREVER #1.

American Mythology's NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD KIN #1 asks the musical question, "what if there was a zombie outbreak among inbred hillbillies? And will it make any difference outside the holler?"

First Second's LAYERS: A MEMOIR GN is yet another autobiographical coming-of-age story I'm not going to read. Honestly, why do all these middling artists think their middling lives are interesting enough to support a book?

Candlewick Press' ONE IN A MILLION GN is another autobiographical coming-of-age story, but this one promises "a sophisticated portrayal of pain, depression, and fear ..." Dear God, why would I want to read that?

Humanoids' GOLDEN VOICE: THE BALLAD OF CAMBODIAN ROCK’S LOST QUEEN GN tells "the true story of beloved Cambodian singer Ros Serey Sothea." No, I haven't heard of her either. I didn't even know Cambodians liked rock music, much less had rock singers. Do they sing Led Zeppelin covers? Do they wear KISS costumes? The mind boggles.

If you want a graphic novel about the Haitian revolution, Verso's TOUSSAINT LOUVERTURE GN has got you covered. In my middle school in the '70s, it was spelled "L'Ouverture."

Terry Moore alert! Abstract's PARKER GIRLS VOL 2: DEADLIGHT TP ships this week.

Comic-strip collectors alert! New York Review's POOR HELPLESS COMICS CARTOONS OF ED SUBITZKY GN ships this week.

Blood Moon's SIGNAL 29 #1 is a one-shot about two first responders discovering Patient Zero in what will be a zombie outbreak. Zombie apocalypses are dime a dozen these days, but I still feel a surge of adrenline when I read stories about the early days of one, before everybody knows what's going on. So stressful!

Blood Moon's SIMON SAYZ #1 (OF 12) is about a mental patient who is A) hears voices, B) is murderous and C) a descendant of Cain. That's a pretty scary cocktail.

Battle Quest's STEEL SIEGE VOL 1: VULTURE AND THE DOVE TP combines fantasy world-building with mech battles. Battle Quest has provided both a PREVIEW and a TRAILER.

American Mythology's WITCH HAMMER #1 features a female demon-fighter in 1938, and from the description, I'm getting Buffy vibes.

WALT DISNEY'S DONALD DUCK "MAHARAJAH DONALD": THE COMPLETE CARL BARKS DISNEY LIBRARY VOL. 4 HC

12239997084?profile=RESIZE_400xStory/Art: Carl Barks | Fantagraphics | 224 pages | $35.00

Donald becomes a maharajah, a giant sea serpent attacks, and Donald invents an atom bomb!

Through a series of trade-ups, the nephews turn Donald’s old pencil stub into — a steamship ticket to India! Off they go, and Donald is soon declared to be “Maharajah Donald” — but there’s a catch! Then, Donald accidentally buys a houseboat at an auction that leads to an encounter with a giant sea serpent! Next, “Santa’s Stormy Visit,” a Christmas story with none of the trimmings — no man in a red suit, no snow (but a tropical hurricane!), no presents under the tree (no tree!) But still a charming holiday tale. And don’t miss “Donald Duck’s Atom Bomb!”

As we circle back to Carl Barks’s earlier stories, the Good Duck Artist delivers another superb collection of surprise, delight, comedy, adventure, and all-around cartooning brilliance. 193 pages of story and art, each meticulously restored and newly colored. Insightful story notes by an international panel of Barks experts.

Walt Disney's Donald Duck "Maharajah Donald": The Complete Carl Barks Disney Library Vol. 4 is part of the The Complete Carl Barks Library series.

• It begins! The beginning of the end! And nothing will be the same again!
  • As everyone collecting this series knows, Fantagraphics began the Carl Barks Library somewhere other than Volume 1. For years books have arrived out of order, until we got to the end. The end, that is, except for Vols. 1-4! And we collectors have been nervous that sales would slump to the point where Fantagraphics wouldn't bother with the first four. But here, to our collective relief, is Vol. 4. Which just leaves three until the set is complete. Halleluah!
  • Here's a PREVIEW.

CEREAL TP

12240015290?profile=RESIZE_400xStory: Mark Russell | Art/Cover: Peter Snejbjerg | Ahoy | Mature | $17.99

They lurk in the shadows — and in your shopping cart. The dangerous and the damned, the monstrous and the mutilated, the devils who snarl at innocent children from boxes of sugar cereal. AHOY Comics is proud (and slightly terrified) to present CEREAL, a dark, distinctly adult and lovingly funny take on an earlier generation’s beloved monsters from writer Mark Russell (Second Coming) and artist Peter Snejbjerg (BPRD: Hell on Earth, The Boys). The volume collects every chapter from AHOY’s Edgar Allan Poe’s Snifter anthologies, as well as an all-new three-part conclusion.

"Monsters play such an expansive role in our collective conscience, being used for everything from giving face to our deepest fears to selling us breakfast cereal,” said Russelll. “This book looks at monsters from every angle at once. It sees them as we are — as cartoonish but scary, as comical, and yet, still sad."

The Marquis de Cocoa, recently transformed into a vampire, braves the agony of sunrise to throw his famous breakfast parties, where he plays his deadly games with such oddly familiar characters as the Quaker, Beau Berrie, and The Brute. This is their secret backstory, a chilling tale of a war of monsters who kill without remorse and stay crunchy in milk. Three climatic chapters — 42 never-before-published pages of comics — complete this volume which ComicMix called “a satirical farce of everything that’s near and dear to every kid who grew up watching Hammer monster movies and eating cereal for breakfast.”

“CEREAL is a delicious slice of satire,” said AHOY Comics Editor-in-Chief Tom Peyer. “I can’t wait for readers to load up on pop rocks, down a bunch of soda, and discover the charm of The Marquis de Cocoa, the Quaker, Beau Berrie and The Brute.”

• I'm glad to see all the "Snifters" gathered in one place, but yeah, I'm also keen to see breakfast mascots get their due as well. Will non-monsters like Lucky Leprechaun and Toucan Sam make an appearance? Maybe as breakfast? 
  • In other Ahoy news, Project Cryptid #2 ships this week.

12240016252?profile=RESIZE_180x18012240016266?profile=RESIZE_180x18012240016291?profile=RESIZE_180x18012240016656?profile=RESIZE_180x18012240016674?profile=RESIZE_180x18012240016852?profile=RESIZE_180x180

ZOMVIKINGS #1 (OF 2)

12240024066?profile=RESIZE_400x12240024092?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story: Rodolfo Santullo | Art: Jok | Cover: Ariel Olivetti | Fairsquare Comics | Mature | $12.99

The title says it all: Zombies+Vikings=Pure horror fun!!! You're definitely not ready for this ride...

In a small Viking village, the locals are eagerly waiting for the return of their courageous warriors and their longboats. They're expecting all sorts of riches, jewels and even slaves. But what comes back will spread the seed of death and destruction. ... Who will live? Who will die? Can a small group of survivors stop the massacre and save humanity?

With thrilling action sequences and darkly comedic moments, ZomVikings is a must-read gory and hilarious tale that combines two genres like never before: heroic Nordic fantasy with the horror of the undead.

From Rodolfo Santullo (Far South) and Jok (In Hell We Fight) with two exceptional covers from superstars ARIEL OLIVETTI and GERMAN PERALTA!

• As most Legionnaires know from reading Thor comics, the post-dead played a big role in Norse myths. You had your Einharjar in Valhalla and Fólkvangr, of course, and all the shades shambling down the Helvegr to Hel. But there were also the Haugbuar (who refuse to leave Midgard after death), Draugr (evil zombies, or apterganga, the "again-walkers") and Fyrirburdr (basically ghosts). Also the Disir, which are hard to define. So actual Vikings would not be surprised at all by this book.

CHILLING ADVENTURES PRESENTS … WELCOME TO RIVERDALE #1 (ONE-SHOT)

12159239098?profile=RESIZE_400x12159239296?profile=RESIZE_180x180

Script: Amy Chase | Art: Liana Kangas | Colors: Ellie Wright | Letters: Jack Morelli | Cover: Liana Kangas | Variant Cover: Marguerite Sauvage | $3.99

When Ginger Snapp finds herself in the town of Riverdale, a town she’s fanatically read about growing up, she’s amazed by how wholesome and welcoming it truly is. But she can’t help but shake the uncanny valley-feeling she has with every new person she meets. How can everyone be THIS nice? And could the kindness drive someone to the brink of madness, if it hasn’t already? Explore toxic positivity gone horror in this one-shot that’s equal parts Pleasantville and The Stepford Wives.

“Riverdale itself is a character in this book, so we want to be sure readers really feel like they're being greeted by familiar faces and places," Chase said. "Longtime fans and the newly Archie-curious should all find something to enjoy as we spotlight the absolute best the iconic town has to offer and try to keep its uncanny, dark secrets swept under the rug. I hope people feel a little unsettled, but also charmed by what's in store here.”

The comic stars Ginger Snapp, an older character who has recently returned with new kid-friendly stories in Archie's line of digest magazines. Archie Comics Art Director Vincent Lovallo said, "WELCOME TO RIVERDALE features the modern style debut of classic Archie Comics character, Ginger Snapp, as she discovers Riverdale isn't as perfect as it seems. Main cover and story artist Liana Kangas and variant cover artist Marguerite Sauvage both capture that disturbing feeling of unease through vibrant colors and gorgeous, yet chilling, artwork."

Dealing with themes of deceptive appearances and dark mirror images, WELCOME TO RIVERDALE captures a certain zeitgeist of the Archie Horror imprint overall. "So much of what people think of as Riverdale, and even Archie Comics as a whole, is wrapped up in Americana, a nostalgia for a bygone era peered at through rose-tinted glasses," Rotante added "This takes people's preconceived notions of not only the friendliest town on earth but the superficial and oft-misguided view of Archie as a 'retro' company and turns it on its ear. There's so much more beneath the facade, and while this comic unearths a darker side of the truth, our goal as a company is to always invite people to look at what we do beyond your childhood notions of Archie, and appreciate every chance we take with our publishing and our ideas."

• Archie Horror is doing its best to make Riverdale a place you never want to visit.

BORIS KARLOFF’S GOLD KEY MYSTERIES #1

12240007099?profile=RESIZE_400xStory: Michael Conrad, Steve Orlando, Craig Hurd-McKenny | Art: Sergey Nazarov, Jok, Kelly Williams | Gold Key Entertainment | $5.99

Witness the dawn of new era in horror! When a gothic mansion infested with arcane power appears from the mist, Boris Karloff is the world's last hope against dark forces led by a malevolent government agent bent on harnessing the house's power. Boris Karloff is back with a new ongoing horror anthology.

• So, the reprint series didn't sell, but they're going to try a new one anyway? Brave.
  • I find it very meta that "Gold Key" is now part of the title.

ALPI THE SOUL SENDER VOL. 1 GN

12161979067?profile=RESIZE_400xStory/Art/Cover: Rona | Titan Manga | 176 pages | $12.99

TAKEN FROM THE HIT WEBTOON BY MANGA CREATOR RONA!

FOR FANS OF THE MAGICAL GIRL MANGA — A COMING- OF-AGE STORY ABOUT YOUNG ‘SOUL SENDER’!

Taken from the hit webtoon by manga creator Rona!

In Alpi's magical world, divine spirits are the source of all life, communities living in harmony under their protection. However, when their lives end, a terrible curse drives them to evil, and these malign spirits must be sent to the afterlife by the Soul Sender. Alpi is one such girl, talented despite her young age, and assisted by her familiar Pelenai!

• Have I mentioned that Titan Comics has started a manga line? They're quite proud of it and send me lots of PR. 

12239975852?profile=RESIZE_400x12239975866?profile=RESIZE_180x18012239976053?profile=RESIZE_180x18012239976067?profile=RESIZE_180x18012239979052?profile=RESIZE_180x18012239979252?profile=RESIZE_180x18012239979473?profile=RESIZE_180x180
12161979083?profile=RESIZE_180x180

AMERICAN PSYCHO #1 (OF 5)

12240004856?profile=RESIZE_400xStory: Michael Calero | Art: Piotr Kowalski, Brad Simpson | Cover: Greg Staples | Massive | Mature | $4.99

Greg Staples, best known for his work on Judge Dredd and as a concept artist for Magic: The Gathering, brings his realistic painterly style to capture the likeness of Christian Bale's Patrick Bateman.

See Patrick Bateman's infamous New York City killing spree from a brand new perspective as a familiar character from the film is revealed to be much more than they appeared. Witness the greatest hits of Patrick's murderous rampage while exploring new revelations in the world of American Psycho, in this story that'll make fans see Patrick's bloody story through a whole new lens.

This limited series also begins the journey of an all-new psychopath as social media obsessed millennial, Charlie (Charlene) Carruthers, goes on a downward spiral filled with violence. Drug fueled partying leads to bloodshed as Charlie leaves a trail of bodies on her way to discovering the truth about her dark nature.

• I think it's remarkable they are able to use Christian Bale's image. Wonder what they paid for that?
  • I have never seen this movie.
  • Diamond lists this as a "Massive" title, but it says "Sumerian" on the covers. I know one is buying out the other, but it made me do a double take.
  • Here's a PREVIEW.

12240004701?profile=RESIZE_180x18012240005276?profile=RESIZE_180x18012240005470?profile=RESIZE_180x180

ARE YOU WILLING TO DIE FOR THE CAUSE? HC

12239981667?profile=RESIZE_400xStory/Art: Chris Oliveros | Drawn & Quarterly | Mature | $24.95

A deep dive into a contentious and dramatic period in Canadian history-the rise of a militant separatist group whose effects still reverberate today. In Are You Willing to Die for the Cause?, Quebec-born cartoonist Chris Oliveros sets out to dispel common misconceptions about the birth and early years of a movement that, while now defunct, still holds a tight grip on the hearts and minds of Quebec citizenry and Canadian politics.

• I was vaguely aware of this in the '60s, but there was a lot of other "revolution" news vying for attention at the time. I think my basic reaction as a pre-teen was, "Why would anyone want to speak French bad enough to fight for it?" Might be interesting to learn about this now as an adult. Here's more info, with a PREVIEW.

CLAUDIA CHRISTAIN’S DARK LEGACIES #1

12240018480?profile=RESIZE_400xStory: Chris McAuley, Claudia Christian | Art: Staz Johnson | Cover: Ben Oliver | Scratch Comics | $4.99

The Expanse meets the Terminator meet Blade Runner in this hard hitting action sci-fi thriller created by Babylon 5 actor Claudia Christian. At this point in time Earth is emerging from a dystopian past, moving from a brutal governmental regime to democracy. Commander Jessica Steele finds herself caught in a web of intrigue as the legacies of the totalitarian past surround her. Dark secrets are uncovered and all hell is let loose in this all action blockbuster, with pulse pounding art by 2000AD, DC Comics and Marvel Comics artist Staz Johnson. We meet a vengeful cyborg, secretive scientists and good old fashioned heroes in this first issue, ending in a character reveal that'll make picking up issue #2 a no brainer.

• When I first saw this cover I thought, "Somebody's using Claudia Christian for photo reference." Then I read the blurb and realized it's all completely kosher.

COMIC BOOK TRIVIA #1

12240019682?profile=RESIZE_400xStory: Jon McCarthy | Art/Cover: Robby Musso | Blood Moon | $5.99

A young comic book fan makes a wish to only ever have to know comics. He is teleported to another dimension, where he, now in the role of the reader, must prove his worth by answering 150 comic book trivia questions. Polybagged.

• I'll take "Be Careful What You Wish For" for $50, Alex.

TEENAGE TUPELO HC

12240020894?profile=RESIZE_400xStory/Art: Mike McCarthy | Fantagraphics | Mature | $75.00

A semi-auto-bio sexploitation comedy drama that asks the question, “Want to see some naked pictures of my mother?"

In 1995 Something Weird Video released filmmaker (and former Fantagraphics cartoonist) John Michael McCarthy’s Elvis-obsessed autobiographical bump and grind Super 8 cinematic oddity Teenage Tupelo, and co-produced by exploitation king David F. Friedman (She Freak, 2000 Maniacs). Memphis instrumental combo Impala provided the scintillating score set to the swaying rhythms of starlet D’Lana Tunnell who plays McCarthy’s mother. The music was produced by legendary Sun records-era Roland Janes and released on the Sympathy for the Record Industry label. Almost thirty years later, this obscure little cult film continues to be remembered. Now Fantagraphics Books unleashes a mammoth volume dedicated to one of the last underground sexploitation films of the 20th century: a nudie cutie time capsule of art, essays, and reviews, along with photos of the beautiful starlets who appeared in Teenage Tupelo.

• Growing up around here, you either become Elvis, or ... this.

GREETINGS FROM THE MAGLEV CHAP 1 (OF 3)

12240031063?profile=RESIZE_400xStory: Adam Cahoon | Art: Mark Espinosa | Invader Comics | Mature | $14.99

Gasoline is a thing of the past. Once it was revealed that the government had been withholding how desperately depleted our resources were, society seemed to dismantle overnight. In an effort to keep our country moving forward, our nation's corporations united and created "The Maglev." Using revolutionary technology, The Maglev is a massive super highway that utilizes magnetic roadways and is fueled by solar power. Unfortunately, the only ones capable of using it are those who can afford to and those who hijack their way in. The rich and the wild. But, who cares about all of that? This is a story about good old fashion revenge!

• I'm not all that interested in this particular title, but I am glad to see that even rando books like this understand the fundamental truth that the rich and corporations are always going to take advantage of the rest of us, regardless of circumstance, unless we actively defend ourselves against them. As somebody more famous than me once said, "We're already in a class war, but only one side is fighting."

HOW TO COMPLETELY LOSE YOUR MIND: A GRAPHIC NOVEL MEMOIR OF ONE INDIE BAND'S ATTEMPT TO BREAK A WORLD RECORD GN

12240031661?profile=RESIZE_400xStory: Eric Stevenson, Elizabeth Jancewicz | Art: Elizabeth Jancewicz | Mango | $24.99

A wild road trip of performance highs, self-doubt lows and determination. A world record smashing music tour through 50 States in 45 Days. Together, Eric Stevenson and Elizabeth Jancewicz perform as the band Pocket Vinyl, where Eric slams on the piano and sings while Elizabeth creates a large oil painting on stage. In these artists' graphic novel, watch as they take on their biggest challenge yet: to tour the whole nation in just 45 days, breaking the record for the fastest time a band has played in all 50 U.S. states.

• Evidently a true story. Preposterous, but true.

SAINT SEIYA: KNIGHTS OF THE ZODIAC — TIME ODYSSEY #1

12240000875?profile=RESIZE_400x

Story: Jerome Alquie, Arnaud Dollen, Masami Kurumada | Art/Cover: Jerome Alquie | Ablaze | $3.99

The Galaxian Wars are back with a new generation of Knights of the Zodiac!

The goddess Athena and her knights, led by the infamous Seiya, are called back into action once again when Chronos, the god of time, has his sights set on joining the other gods of Olympus. To do so, he has constructed a Doomsday Clock that will allow him to change the past, present and future, putting the knights and Earth itself in jeopardy!

Writer/Artist Jér me Alquié (Space Pirate Captain Harlock) is joined by co-writer Arnaud Dollen (Surnaturels) to bring Masami Kurumada's classic Saint Seiya on an epic new journey for the ages!

Saint Seiya: Knights of the Zodiac original CG anime streaming on Netflix now!  Toei / Sony Pictures live-action movie Saint Seiya: The Beginning coming soon!

• If you like the anime, then you should like this.
  • If you're uncertain, here's a PREVIEW.

MORE PREVIEWS

BLOODBORNE BLEAK DOMINION #2 (OF 4)

12239983880?profile=RESIZE_180x18012239983890?profile=RESIZE_180x18012239983897?profile=RESIZE_180x18012239984275?profile=RESIZE_180x180

12239984287?profile=RESIZE_180x18012239984862?profile=RESIZE_180x18012239985258?profile=RESIZE_180x180

CREEPSHOW VOL. 2 #2

12224721458?profile=RESIZE_180x18012224721286?profile=RESIZE_180x18012224721657?profile=RESIZE_180x180

12224721868?profile=RESIZE_180x18012224721880?profile=RESIZE_180x18012224721894?profile=RESIZE_180x18012224722270?profile=RESIZE_180x180

FISHFLIES #2

12228043493?profile=RESIZE_180x180

12228043666?profile=RESIZE_180x18012228043684?profile=RESIZE_180x18012228043695?profile=RESIZE_180x18012228044267?profile=RESIZE_180x180

SCARLETT COUTURE MUNICH FILE #3 (OF 5)

12239985452?profile=RESIZE_180x18012239985461?profile=RESIZE_180x18012239985473?profile=RESIZE_180x180

12239985673?profile=RESIZE_180x18012239985686?profile=RESIZE_180x18012239986087?profile=RESIZE_180x18012239986464?profile=RESIZE_180x180

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• CAPTAIN MARVEL: GENIS-VELL BY PETER DAVID OMNIBUS HC collects all 61 issues of Genis-Vell's two solo series.

That is one HELL of an omnibus, almost too large to read. I have ombuses two thirds that size that are difficult to maneuver.

MARVEL AGE OMNIBUS VOL 1 HC collects the first three years of Marvel's promo magazine. I honestly have no idea why anyone would want this.

I... words fail me. Some of these draw high $ in the backissue market: #41 (Stan Lee photo cover, for example), or ones that present previews ("first appearances") of series that went on to become hot. I still have most of mine (up until the time I stopped buying them because they were almost totally worthless), but initially they were only a quarter. I guess if you put something between two hard covers some poor schmuck will buy it. So much of this stuff has already been reprinted in relevant archives and omnibus editions, and I don't even bother to read it. Unbelievable.

WESLEY DODDS: THE SANDMAN #1 (OF 6)

Last week I ended buying not a single new comic... or collection or anything else. I'll buy this, though.

CEREAL TP

I read the "serialized" (auditory pun intended) chapters, but they didn't do much for me and I barely remember reading them. By the time Count Chokula and Frankenberry and the rest came out, I was already past my sugary breakfast cereal phase. 

In other Ahoy news, Project Cryptid #2 ships this week.

And I still don't have #1, #$%@! I checked last week and the order is still pending via Diamond. It hasn't gone to "backorder" but there's been no movement on it, either. My LCS has put in a second order through the same distributor which handles DC, too late to make it this coming week, though, but perhaps the week after...?

So, the [Boris Karloff Mysteries] reprint series didn't sell, but they're going to try a new one anyway? Brave.

My expectations aren't high, but I'll probably give this one a try.

COMIC BOOK TRIVIA #1: Polybagged.

Sounds like it could be interesting, but if they're not going to let me at least look at it first, I'm keeping my six bucks.

• I'm guessing the trivia book is polybagged with the idea that friends can open the books together and quiz each other (and nobody can "cheat" by looking at the answers before the others). Maybe. 

Oh, and this just in! I was blithering earlier about my ignorance of Critical Role, assuming it was a video game. It is not! It is instead a Netflix series where seven voice actors go through Dungeons & Dragons campaigns, in live action. That is to say, the actors are on camera as themselves, sitting at a table playing the game. 

Somehow this is interesting -- I assume a LOT of editing -- so much so that it has spawned an animated show, Vox Machina. That appears, for some reason, on a different streamer: Amazon Prime Video. 

And those are the shows that Dark Horse is adapting in its Critical Role Origins and Critical Role: Vox Machina comics, which are popular enough to support all the collections about which DH keeps sending me PR. 

I am never going to watch these shows, but I find it interesting that they exist. 

This reply was deleted.