<p style="clear: both;">

TOP PUBLISHERS

MARVEL COMICS

"Fall of X" continues in X-FORCE #46 and X-MEN RED #17 (and maybe UNCANNY SPIDER-MAN #3 a little, too).

"Dark Droids" continues in STAR WARS: DARTH VADER #40.

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #37

12158948889?profile=RESIZE_180x18012281738680?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story: Zeb Wells | Art/Cover: Ed McGuinness | $4.99

GANG WAR: FIRST STRIKE!

Rek-Rap returns! Spider-Man’s fun-house reflection might just be the thing to help the wall-crawler out of the darkness he can’t seem to shake. Well, Rek-Rap MIGHT help if he weren’t targeted by the scariest new Spidey-Villain in decades! GANG WAR IS COMING!

Spinning out of Zeb Wells and John Romita Jr.’s hit run of Amazing Spider-Man, GANG WAR will see a war erupt between the gang lords of New York City, causing chaos throughout the Big Apple. Villains are fighting villains. Criminals are fighting criminals. Hobgoblin, Mr. Negative, the Owl, Shotgun, Diamondback, A.I.M., Hydra and more battle with and against each other for NYC supremacy. For Peter Parker, "going on patrol" isn't enough ... and he declares his own war on super-crime. It's General Spidey at the helm, leading a group of heroes that includes fellow Spider-Man Miles Morales, She-Hulk, Daredevil and Spider-Woman. Their goal: take down the super-gangs in under 48 hours. But what does Mayor Luke Cage and the city's strong anti-vigilante laws have to say about it? Will Jackpot gamble on getting involved? And is Shang-Chi a friend or foe? They better all figure it out before two classic villains make a game-changing return!

Big things are brewing and the battles will spill over into the pages of both Amazing Spider-Man and Miles Morales: Spider-Man as well as all-new limited series launching this November and December! Read on to learn about what awaits in the prelude issues, dubbed GANG WAR: FIRST STRIKE, and the opening installments of GANG WAR!

• Marvel's Next Big Thing has begun. Here's a PREVIEW.

12281738691?profile=RESIZE_180x18012281738501?profile=RESIZE_180x18012281739254?profile=RESIZE_180x180
12158953067?profile=RESIZE_710x

G.O.D.S. #2

12270277072?profile=RESIZE_400x12281744658?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story: Jonathan Hickman | Art: Valerio Schiti | Colors: Marte Gracia | Cover: Mateus Manhanini | $4.99

Launched last month, G.O.D.S. represents a bold transformation of the Marvel cosmology with the introduction of The-Powers-That-Be and The-Natural-Order-Things. These two opposing groups of mystics and scientists serve Marvel’s classic pantheon of cosmic entities, and their eons-old conflict has finally come to light!

In G.O.D.S. #1, fans witnessed Wyn, chosen avatar of The-Powers-That-Be, gathered with the 100 brilliant minds of the The-Natural-Order-Of-Things, including his ex-wife Aiko Maki, to prevent a reality-shattering Babylon Event caused by the mysterious Cubisk Core! Fans can see how this threat deepens in upcoming issues in the all-new G.O.D.S.: Coming Soon Trailer, featuring never-before-seen artwork!

You’ve met the heroes … now, fear the villains! Science and Magic must stand together as game-changing shifts in the pantheon erupt and oblivion approaches! The trailer opens with Mia the Magic Girl, a young mage with startling potential, taking her first steps towards an uncertain destiny as she’s recruited by Aiko for the Natural-Order-Of-Things. And things take a dramatic turn when Wyn, his apprentice Dimitri, and Doctor Strange confront Cubisk. As they dive deeper into their new enemy’s plans and learn the power that’s behind him, they’ll discover the stakes at hand are greater than anyone could’ve imagined!

The Centum normally has twenty-five Primes, now only three remain. College isn’t worth the time or the money. There’s a hidden book in the hidden library that hides a hidden door. Cubisk Core is from Georgia, like that matters.

“We don't get a lot of opportunities to try out brand new properties in the current market," Hickman said. "And I think that this represents not just a solid effort by the company but a real swinging for the fence by Valerio, Marte and I, and everybody involved in the production of the book, to really put something new out there.

“The most important thing is that it is us putting all of our energy and weight into doing something brand new but is done by a creative team that understands the Marvel Universe and understands the complexity, the continuity, and what it usually takes to make a book like this resonate along with all of the stuff that’s been around for a very long time. We're just super excited about it. I think Valerio has done amazing work and I feel like I have certainly put my back into it. I’m proud of it.”

"You can lose yourself in these places and these locations," Schiti shared about his world design. "It's entertaining, and I'm always surprised by how much time I've spent on the pages after I finish. This world must seem real. You have to feel like it’s a real place with real people. I love to draw this kind of stuff, this magic and science stuff all thrown together.”

• Second issue of Jonathan Hickman's big, mysterious epic. I'm tradewaiting, but I have to admit I'm curious.
  • Here's a PREVIEW.

PUNISHER #1

12158954484?profile=RESIZE_180x18012158954885?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story: David Pepose | Art: Dave Wachter | Cover: Rod Reis | Variant: Mico Suayan | $5.99

A new PUNISHER will make his vengeful debut in an all-new ongoing comic series! The new comic series will be penned by award-winning writer David Pepose (Savage Avengers, Moon Knight: City of the Dead) and drawn by artist Dave Wachter (Planet of the Apes, X-Men Legends), known for his gritty and noir-inspired art style. Covers will be illustrated by artist and industry veteran Rod Reis.

Last week, Marvel Comics teased a single question: Who is the Punisher? Series writer David Pepose revealed the answer: Joe Garrison.

“The man might be different, but the punishment remains the same,” said Pepose. “I wanted to introduce the Danny Ketch to Frank’s Johnny Blaze.”

In this action-packed new PUNISHER saga, Frank Castle has disappeared, but evil will always need to be punished. With all-new threats rising to claim innocent victims, criminals will need to beware of a dangerous vigilante hunting them from the shadows. Enter a new Punisher: retired S.H.I.E.L.D. black ops agent Joe Garrison. But what brings him back into action? What put Joe Garrison on his path of vengeance? And when the smoke clears, will he even make it out alive?

Pepose continued, “I asked myself ‘How do we build a bigger table? And how do we invite as many readers as possible?’ For existing fans of the Punisher and for new fans, this is a story that’s not going to sacrifice any of the attitude, any of the action, and we are not letting the pedal off the metal.”

• I assume this Punisher will be an out-and-out villain, to tarnish that skull that some miscreants have appropriated inappropriately.
  • Here's a PREVIEW.

12281740469?profile=RESIZE_180x18012281739876?profile=RESIZE_180x18012281740665?profile=RESIZE_180x180

STAR WARS: THE HIGH REPUBLIC [PHASE III] #1

12270281683?profile=RESIZE_400xStory: Cavan Scott | Art: Ario Anindito & Jim Towe | Cover: Phil Noto | Variants: Annie Wu, Mico Suayan, David Baldeón | $5.99

`The explosive new era of Star Wars: The High Republic is upon us! Phase III of the hit publishing-wide storytelling initiative kicks off next month with new Star Wars novels and comics set during the golden age of the Jedi. Writer Cavan Scott and artist Ario Aninditio return for Marvel’s flagship High Republic ongoing comic series in STAR WARS: THE HIGH REPUBLIC [PHASE III] #1.

Today, fans can check out the covers for the highly-anticipated debut issue, including a connecting piece by Mico Suayan that will run across the first four issues. To not spoil readers, the final part of Suayan’s piece will be revealed at a later date!

The new series picks up after the shocking events of Phase I as Keeve Trennis, now a Jedi Master, fights to reunite the Jedi and restore hope to the galaxy far, far away. Complete with new heroes, mysteries and threats, the High Republic stories take place centuries prior to the events of Star Wars: The Phantom Menace, taking fans into a previously unseen period where the Jedi were at the height of their glory! Marvel’s STAR WARS: THE HIGH REPUBLIC [PHASE III] #1 will continue to reward readers already immersed in the world of Star Wars: The High Republic and serve as a perfect jumping on point for those venturing into the High Republic mythos for the very first time!

A year after the destruction of Starlight Beacon, Marchion Ro and the Nihil stand victorious! The galaxy is in turmoil: The once mighty Jedi are outclassed, the Republic is on its knees. On the edges of the galactic frontier, Jedi Master Keeve Trennis leads a desperate assault against an invading force! The odds are stacked against her, but a Jedi always clings to hope. The Force is always with her … right? Not so fast!

“I'm over the moon to be returning to our original High Republic characters as we reach the climatic final phase of the publishing initiative,” Scott told StarWars.com. “I'm particularly excited to be working with Ario Anindito again as well as to welcome Jim Towe to the art team. Their work is truly stunning! I can't wait for readers to see it for themselves!”

• Yes, this is the third Star Wars: The High Republic #1, because this is the third Star Wars: The High Republic series. And that's just at Marvel!
  • Here's a PREVIEW.

12270282276?profile=RESIZE_180x18012270282681?profile=RESIZE_180x18012270282855?profile=RESIZE_400x

THANOS #1 (of 4)

12189763868?profile=RESIZE_400xStory: Christopher Cantwell | Art: Luca Pizzari | Cover: Leinil Francis Yu | $4.99

This November, Earth will once again tremble before the power of Marvel Comics’ most feared supervillain in an all-new THANOS solo series! From Chris Cantwell, the writer who brought Marvel’s other big bad to Eisner-nominated heights in Doom, and Luca Pizzari, the acclaimed artist known for his recent work on X-Men: Before The Fall - Heralds Of Apocalypse #1, comes a four-issue limited series that presents a riveting fresh take on the Mad Titan.

The saga will follow Thanos as he rockets to Earth from the darkest depths of the cosmos to undertake his most ambitious conquest yet. The only ones that can quell his passionate fury is a new Illuminati. Mr. Fantastic, Doctor Strange, and Iron Man have reunited to guide the superhuman world from the shadows and joining this new incarnation are Emma Frost and Blue Marvel. This cabal composed of Marvel’s greatest minds have wasted no time in sharing a secret that will shatter the heavens and provoke Thanos’ deadly wrath like never before!

THANOS VS. THE ILLUMINATI! The Mad Titan descends upon Earth to retrieve something he has lost. And the Illuminati must band together to stop him, because they’re the ones who hid it from him!

“I’ve had the honor and joy of writing some of Marvel’s greatest villains, so you can imagine how excited I am to not only tackle the Mad Titan himself, but pit him against some of the most powerful brains and fists out there—this latest lineup of the Illuminati,” Cantwell said. “But I think folks will find the backdrop of this story quite unexpected, mischievously funny, and heartbreakingly human, for what has drawn Thanos back screaming into the universe is a singular pain and desire for connection that he believes only one essence in existence (and non-existence) can give him… while this being is in turn grappling with some deeper questions about what they are, and what they want to be. Plus, Thanos hot-wires a pickup truck.”

“I could tell right from reading the first panel description that this book was gonna be something else,” Pizzari shared. “I never even met Chris before and yet it’s like he wrote this book reading my mind; there are a lot of characters I’ve always wanted to try my hand on. Thanos himself is, of course, unbelievably fun to draw, I’m constantly telling myself to make him bigger and bigger!”

12281741268?profile=RESIZE_180x18012281741279?profile=RESIZE_180x18012281741292?profile=RESIZE_180x180

WHAT IF ...? DARK: TOMB OF DRACULA #1

12202122480?profile=RESIZE_400xStory: Marv Wolfman | Art: David Cutler & Scott Hanna  | Cover: Giuseppe Camuncoli | Variant: Stanley “Artgerm” Lau

Home to some of the most memorable and thought-provoking stories in the Marvel Comics mythos, WHAT IF? was the series where anything could happen! Now it’s back in WHAT IF…? DARK, a new series of special one-shots where the imaginations of comic creators run wild with dark twists on iconic stories! This November, Marvel Comics is proud to welcome back legendary writer Marv Wolfman as he teams up with artist David Cutler in WHAT IF…? DARK: TOMB OF DRACULA #1!

Wolfman redefined comic book horror storytelling in his groundbreaking run of Tomb of Dracula where he introduced Dracula to the Marvel Universe and co-created Blade and the daughter of Dracula, Lilith Drake. Now decades later, he’ll revisit his mythology-molding work with a new What If…? story that asks the question, “WHAT IF…the legendary Dracula transformed BLADE the vampire slayer…into a vampire?!”

“In 1972 I was a fledgling comics writer who mostly wrote short 2 to 8 page ‘monster’ stories when Editor Roy Thomas asked if I’d like to write Tomb of Dracula, my very first series for Marvel, and the book that would jump-start my career,” Wolfman recollected. “So it is a real thrill now that 50-plus years later Marvel asked me to once again dive into that pool with this very special What If…? story, and to bring back that great cast of characters that artist Gene Colan and I created so many years ago. Thank you, Marvel, for giving me the chance to play with old friends one last time.“

“Getting Marv back on TOMB OF DRACULA is a bucket list check-off,” says Exec. Editor Nick Lowe. “He hasn’t lost a step and the opportunity to pair him with David Cutler and Scott Hanna to make a story that’s both love letter and one of the scariest and creepiest and NEW vampire stories I’ve read made it all the better!”

• My first thought when I saw this title was, "How can you make Tomb of Dracula any darker? Abraham Van Helsing was killed, Rachel Van Helsing was turned and killed, Frank Drake was crippled. Even Harold H. Harold was turned. Nobody really had a happy ending except Blade." And then I saw the cover and thought, "Oh, right, that's how you make it darker. You kill Blade, too." 
  • Here's a PREVIEW.

12281741661?profile=RESIZE_180x18012281741474?profile=RESIZE_180x180

DC COMICS

BATMAN: COURT OF OWLS gets the Absolute HC treatment.

ALL-STAR COMICS #3 and WONDER WOMAN #1 get the facsimile treatment.

Traci 13 guest stars in BLUE BEETLE #3.

DC ICONS GRAPHIC NOVEL BOXED SET includes three YA graphic novels, BATMAN: NIGHTWALKER, CATWOMAN: SOULSTEALER and WONDER WOMAN: WARBRINGER.

DC THE NEW FRONTIER and SUPERMAN UNCHAINED get the Deluxe HC treatment.

Milestone alert: ICON VS. HARDWARE #5 (of 5) and STATIC: UP ALL NIGHT TP.

Batman guest stars in SUPERMAN VS. MESHI VOL 2 TP

WONDER WOMAN THE GOLDEN AGE OMNIBUS VOL 5 HC brings us to summer 1951 (Wonder Woman #47, Sensation Comics #104). It may seem like we've a long way to go until Wonder Woman: The Silver Age Omnibus Vol 1, which begins with Wonder Woman #98 (May 58). But things are about to move a lot faster in this series. The Amazing Amazon is dropped from Sensation Comics after issue #106, so there's only two more of those stories to go (12 pages plus cover in #105 and 10 pages in #106). And Wonder Woman remains bi-monthly through 1953. (It goes to 8 times a year in 1954.) Further, the page count for Wonder Woman drops from 44 pages to 36 in mid-1953. It would not surprise me if this series wraps up with Volume 7.

SUPERMAN '78: THE METAL CURTAIN #1 (of 6)

12270269281?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story: Robert Venditti | Art/Cover: Gavin Guidry | Variant: Wilfredo Torres | $4.99

When the planet Krypton exploded, its last son was rocketed across the cosmos and came to settle in a small town in Kansas. But what else came with him, and what if a piece of his home landed somewhere we never knew about? As Superman has become a symbol of strength and pride for America, the Soviet Union looks to crush that image with a creation of their own, built by their own might and forged by their own power! Robert Venditti returns to the Man of Steel with new artist Gavin Guidry!

• I guess the first series sold well.

12270269096?profile=RESIZE_180x18012270268883?profile=RESIZE_180x180

12283232662?profile=RESIZE_180x18012283232296?profile=RESIZE_180x18012283233059?profile=RESIZE_180x18012283233455?profile=RESIZE_180x18012283233482?profile=RESIZE_180x180

IMAGE COMICS

PETROL HEAD #1

12199754677?profile=RESIZE_400xStory: Rob Williams | Art: Pye Parr | Variants: Pye Parr, Laurence Campbell | $4.99

Bestselling writer Rob Williams (Suicide Squad) and superstar artist Pye Parr (2000AD) team up for a pedal-to-the-metal, action-packed sci-fi series in the upcoming Petrol Head

In a climate crisis-ravaged future metropolis, an old, grumpy, obsolete, smoke-belching, cigar-chomping, hotrod-racing robot is one 12-year-old girl’s only hope. Together, can they outrace the chasing Robo-Cops with an invention that might just save humanity? Readers will jump straight into the non-human race with this robo-gorgeous launch issue featuring 42 story pages.

"Petrol Head is that rare thing in comics — art that feels like it's actually moving on the page," said Williams. "Pye's racing sequences have this kinetic, Akira-like energy and he draws the best robots, and cars, and robots driving cars. We both come from a 2000AD background and we wanted to bring that same punky, funny edge to what is basically a heartfelt story about one smart little girl who may just be able to save the whole human race from a climate emergency, but she has to team up with a grumpy, obsolete hotrod-racing robot to do it."

Parr added: "I love fast cars, big robots and cute, wise-cracking bluetits with concealed lasers, so Petrol Head is the exactly the kind of comic I’ve wanted to draw since I was about 10. But what elevates it beyond just squealing tires and engine noise is its heart. It’s fun, its fast, and there’s big explosions … but there’s also characters you’ll care about, and who (eventually) care about each other. And that’s all Rob. I hope everyone gets as much pleasure reading this as I did drawing it."

Early praise for Petrol Head:

“Rob Williams continues his winning streak with Petrol Head, yet another entry in the list of peculiar yet terrific yarns that only he could come up with. This time he’s joined by the superb Pye Parr, whose stunning artwork makes this a must-have.” — Garth Ennis, Preacher, The Boys

“Like Fury Road f***ed a rainbow!" — Chris Burnham, Batman Inc.

“Alex Toth's Hot Wheels via Akira, Wacky Races Beyond Thunderdome, a cranked-up Pat Mills/John Wagner Hell trek; the poignancy of an over-the-hill fighter and the cynicism of Rollerball. Art that MOVES AS YOU READ IT.” — Mike Collins, Dr. Who

“Possibly the most original comic book I’ve seen in a long time.” — Chris Weston, The Filth

Petrol Head is bloody great. Big, bold characters, loin-shakingly loud cars and a dome-delicate world of adventures for our anthropomorphic pollution pumpers to smash through. A reminder for EV evangelists like me that though they may kill you in the long run, big loud engines will always be cool.” — Duncan Jones, Director of Moon, World of Warcraft

Petrol Head was a kick right to the side of my, admittedly soft and human, brain! What happens when warbots go vintage? This is a world where content and entertainment rule, it's AI meets THE RUNNING MAN. Petrol Head is a blue-collar hero for a post-apocalyptic society, and his story's a death-race bum rush of an adventure that you can't ignore!” — Steve Orlando, X-Men, Midnighter

The Fast and the Furious with gorgeously-rendered robots in a future that's exciting, meaningful, and also somehow just the right kind of stupid fun. It's so obviously going to be a blockbuster movie. Gear-crunchingly awesome.” — Paul Cornell, Dr. Who, Wolverine

“Engaging story, fine art. As a dedicated follower of future robotics it’s a must-read for me.” —John Wagner, Judge Dredd

“Just read Petrol Head #1 from Rob Williams and Pye Parr and it's unreal. This must be one of the most exciting comics, both visually and story, I've seen in ages. Get this ordered. They've done a great job!” — Mark Millar, Kingsman, Marvel’s Civil War

“Start your engines for a high-octane, all-age SF thrill ride! Robots, races, intrigue, social commentary and a smart-talking cybernetic bluetit called Dave! Williams and Parr have a winner on their hands!” — Cavan Scott, Star Wars: The High Republic

“I'm not even remotely into cars but Pye's art here demands its own colorful toy line, gorgeous!” — Duncan Fegredo, Hellboy

“Pye Parr’s lusciously dynamic art is a revelation, bringing post-apocalyptic racing to life in ways that shouldn’t be possible on the page, and Rob Williams’ engaging story of a girl and a robot on the run will appeal to grownups and kids alike” — Alex De Campi, Parasocial, Bad Karma

Petrol Head takes a high concept and launches it even higher, into the stratosphere! A book packed with greasy retro futurism, Pye Parr’s luminous visuals are as sharp as Rob Williams’ satirical edge, you better get in gear.” — Declan Shalvey, Old Dog, Alien

Petrol Head launches you head-first into a brutal and vibrant future that feels both outrageous and tragically plausible. It’s a clever, explosive and visually stunning must-read from two of the best storytellers in comics!” — Torunn Grønbekk, The Mighty Thor, Punisher

Petrol Head is the most fun I’ve had reading a comic in years.” — Ollie Masters, The Kitchen, Snow Blind

"Big, beautiful, smart AND fun — don't miss this one.” — Rick Remender, Deadly Class, Black Science

“A concussive blast of pure comics — part Rollerball, part demolition derby. Some of the most beautifully rendered Car Fu action you've ever seen, but that's a real heart you can hear humming under the hood.” — Alex Paknadel, All Against All, Red Goblin

“With all the humor and heart that's become Williams' trademark, and all the howling hi-octane verve that'll quickly become Parr's, Petrol Head is the most exciting car comic in a generation. Somehow progressive and retro, it wears its Brit-punk sci-fi roots on its oil-spattered sleeves. Rob, if that littie robot birdie gets hurt I'm fucking coming for you." — Si Spurrier, Hellblazer, Coda

“Like a high-octane technicolor episode of The Twilight Zone, only souped up and ready to rumble. An unmissable comic.” — Chris Condon, That Texas Blood

• Man, that's a lot of people who seem to like the idea of robots driving cars. Maybe there's more to the concept than I expect. Then again, maybe they're lying.
  • Here's a PREVIEW.

12199755474?profile=RESIZE_180x18012199755674?profile=RESIZE_180x18012199756079?profile=RESIZE_180x180

DARK HORSE

THE FLYING SHIP is a young adult LGBT+ fantasy story.

COUNT CROWLEY: MEDIOCRE MIDNIGHT MONSTER HUNTER #1 (OF 4)

12208367287?profile=RESIZE_400x12208367483?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story: David Dastmalchian | Art/Cover: Lukas Ketner | Variant: Francesco Francavilla | $4.99

Eager fright fans won't have to wait much longer for a new chapter starring their favorite horror host, for the incredible team of David Dastmalchian, Lukas Ketner, Lauren Affe and Frank Cvetkovic returns with Count Crowley: Mediocre Midnight Monster Hunter! Lukas Ketner provides the main cover art, and the frightfully talented artist Francesco Francavilla presents a thrilling variant cover for issue #1, with chilling variants planned for each issue. Dark Horse Comics brings the campy crowds a third volume of the hit horror story in a four-part miniseries that is sure to cure that Count Crowley creature feature itch… for now.

A dead werewolf would have made Jerri Bartman feel victorious just a few days ago. But this deceased beast was her friend, and our beloved monster hunter is shocked and depressed. The return of her predecessor brings no consolation, and now there’s a ghoulish child-snatcher on the loose in Beloit... Holy Halloween, Count Crowley! Things are really getting batty!

“I am dying for readers to get their claws on Volume 3 of the Count Crowley saga!” said series creator David Dastmalchian. “I am finally getting to soak my pen in the blood and guts that I’ve always wanted to splatter on these pages. Pulling inspiration from some of my favorite gore horror in the Stuart Gordon/Frank Henenlotter tradition, as well as the “Abduction Panic” dread of the 1980’s Midwest, I have taken Jerri’s journey to a whole new level of horror. When readers see what Lukas Ketner has achieved in these issues, their eyes will literally pop out of their heads! And just wait until those variant covers are unveiled… It’s going to be a wild ride!”

Praise for Count Crowley: Amatuer Midnight Monster Hunter:

“A triumphant return, Count Crowley: Amateur Midnight Monster Hunter #1 is a sequel that gets right down to business with a fast-paced script and outstanding visuals.” — Monkeys Fighting Robots

“Lukas Ketner’s art remains the undead, un-staked heart of this title. His monsters are identifiable models for their B-movie counterparts, and his trappings of the time are perfection. Vanished era artifacts like telephone books, camcorders, and family hardware stores are well-represented. I’ve said it before, but his covers remind me of Dan Brereton’s work on titles like Nocturnals and Thrillkiller; on the racks or in solicits, his Crowley covers transfix like Lugosi at his unblinking Dracula best. — Doom Rocket

“I feel like this might actually be that rare and coveted ‘rush right out in a buying frenzy.’ Especially if you like a good horror story.” — Major Spoilers

• I would enjoy this even if it wasn't written by Polka-Dot Man. Both art and story are somehow old-fashioned, like it was created in the '80s, but modern enough in tone and sensibility that it's sort of the Stranger Things of original comics. Except with a horror-show host.

HELLSING VOL 1

10998771298?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story: Roye Okupe | Art: Toyin Ajetunmobi, Sunkanmi Akinboye | $14.99

The legions of the damned again threaten to cover the earth in darkness in new paperback editions of Hellsing from Dark Horse Manga. Featuring revised translations available previously only in the deluxe hardcover editions, Kohta Hirano’s epic action/horror manga is now even closer to the author’s terrifying vision that spawned the international hit anime series. Hellsing blends gothic horror, violent action, and dark humor in a bloody brew that has fired the imagination of otaku everywhere. These updated and redesigned editions are perfect for Hellsing devotees and a great jumping-on point for new readers.

With supernatural horrors haunting the streets and preying upon humanity, the shadowy Hellsing Organization fights back against hell’s minions. Hellsing’s secret weapon? Alucard, a vampire lord of immense power, specially trained and equipped to destroy the undead. But vast evil forces are on the march, and even the agents of Hellsing may not be able to stem the black tide that threatens to engulf England — and all humanity!

Praise for Hellsing:

“Enough demented ultraviolence and bizarre indulgences on display to shame all but the most transgressive of other manga.” — Anime News Network

• I'm all for demented ultraviolence.
  • Here's a PREVIEW.

ASSASSIN'S APPRENTICE VOL 1

12281947271?profile=RESIZE_400xStory: Jody Houser, Robin Hobb | Art: Ryan Kelly, Jodie Bellaire | $29.99

Dark Horse is proud to present the first installment in Robin Hobb’s Farseer Trilogy, Assassin’s Apprentice Volume 1! This hardcover collection features writing by Robin Hobb (Farseer Trilogy) and Jody Houser (Stranger Things, Critical Role: Vox Machina Origins), interior art by Ryan Kelly (Stranger Things, Star Wars), colors by Jordie Bellaire (The Witcher, Black Hammer) and letters by Hassan Otsmane-Elhaou (The Witcher: Ballad of Two Wolves, Red Sonja), with cover art by Anna Steinbauer (Assassin's Apprentice). The hardcover volume collects issues #1-6 of the Assassin’s Apprentice comic series and will feature the covers from each issue as well as a sketchbook section .

When the illegitimate son of a royal prince is discovered in a poor backwater, the boy’s life changes forever. Renamed ‘Fitz’ by his new caretakers, the boy is plunged into the maze of scheming and intrigue that makes up the courts of the Six Duchies. But unknown to all, a power has awakened in Fitz. Something in his blood is stirring, and if Fitz cannot learn to control it, it may spell doom for all.

Praise for Assassin’s Apprentice:

“In today’s crowded fantasy market Robin Hobb’s books are like diamonds in a sea of zircons” – George R.R. Martin

“Hobb is the author whose books Martin described as ‘like diamonds in a sea of zircons,’ the writer to press on those who turn up their noses at fantasy. Her writing is superb, her world-building irresistible, her storylines both hell-for-leather exciting and deeply introspective.” — The Guardian

“I would highly recommend Assassin's Apprentice and the Farseer Trilogy. As you read you become ever more immersed in the story and it just seems to get better and better.” — Fantasy Book Review

• Not really my thing, but DH sent the PR, so here it is.
  • Here's a PREVIEW.

CYBERPUNK 2077 LIBRARY EDITION VOL 1

10971070276?profile=RESIZE_710xStory: Bartosz Sztybor, Cullen Bunn | Art: Miguel Valderrama, Jesus Hervas, Roberto Ricci | $49.99

Dark Horse Books teams up with CD Projekt Red once again to present the Cyberpunk 2077 Library Edition Volume 1. This is an oversized collection of three legendary Cyberpunk 2077 stories told in comic form. The comics are written by CD Projekt Red writer and narrative manager Bartosz Sztybor (The Witcher: Fading Memories, The Witcher: Witch’s Lament) and Cullen Bunn (Shock Shop, Harrow County), with art by Miguel Valderrama (Giants), Jesús Hervás (Deluge, Tomorrow), and Roberto Ricci (The Heart of Shadows). Colors by Jason Wordie, Giulia Brusco, and Fabiana Mascolo, with lettering by Frank Cvetkovic. Cover art by Mattia De Iulis.

This is a deluxe hardcover collection of three intense action-packed stories exploring the underbelly of Night City. First, an EMT assistant is tasked with rescuing the man responsible for her former team’s deaths. Next, a grandmother returns to a life she left behind after a murder tears her family apart. Finally, a braindance technician discovers an opportunity in the depths of despair.

This oversized hardcover collects Cyberpunk 2077: Trauma Team #1-4, Cyberpunk 2077: You Have My Word #1-4, and Cyberpunk 2077: Blackout #1-4, and features a cover gallery, expanded sketchbook section, and more!

Praise for Cyberpunk 2077 comics:

Cyberpunk 2077: Trauma Team mixes frighteningly real action and the trauma that comes with it into a slick design well worth exploring.” — AIPT

Cyberpunk 2077: You Have My Word is dark, gritty, and a strong story. With a solid foundation, this miniseries is certain to be a good one.” — Major Spoilers

“This is a well thought out, extremely relatable, and incredibly engaging slice of life story out of Night City that reads great and looks even better.” — Multiversity Comics on Cyberpunk 2077: Blackout

• More PR I don't care about.

THE SKY: THE ART OF FINAL FANTASY BOXED SET (SECOND EDITION)

11021893080?profile=RESIZE_400xArt: Yoshitaka Amano | $199.99

The world-renowned video game franchise comes to life in The Sky: The Art of Final Fantasy Boxed Set (Second Edition). Originally released as a limited edition in 2012, this special collection of works by Final Fantasy artist Yoshitaka Amano is available again in a new edition for the first time in a decade.

This lavish boxed set holds three separate hardcover books (The Sky Volumes 1, 2, and 3) containing Yoshitaka Amano’s visionary illustrations of the heroes, monsters, and worldscapes of the first ten games in the groundbreaking Final Fantasy series. But that’s far from all—also included in the boxed set is the bonus softcover book All About Yoshitaka Amano, containing an interview, a bibliography, thumbnail guides to The Sky, and dozens of photographs of Amano-sensei, his New York and Tokyo studios, and what inspires him as an artist. A further bonus is a mini The Sky Premium Flipbook, containing two different Final Fantasy animations made by Amano-sensei. Completing the boxed set are two souvenir items: a silver ink Final Fantasy print on clear acetate, and two oversized Final Fantasy postcards. The box itself is clothbound with a hinged lid and silver ribbon inside to lift out the interior contents. The Sky is truly a treasure chest for all fans of Final Fantasy and the artist who created its unforgettable imagery, Yoshitaka Amano!

Praise for The Sky and Yoshitaka Amano:

“THE SKY: THE ART OF FINAL FANTASY is a nostalgic and powerful love letter to the fans of Final Fantasy, and is not to be missed.” — Brendan Mancilla

“If you enjoy beautiful artwork and are a fan of Final Fantasy, I highly suggest picking up Dark Horse’s publishing of The Sky. I highly appreciate the fact that they recognized how important of a product this can be for fans of Yoshitaka Amano and the franchise, deserving of a space on the shelves — or a table to share with friends.” — Nerd Reactor

“If you are only a fan of classic Final Fantasy games and are curious as to where the beautifully ethereal artwork came from, then this book is a gateway into the work of that artist. Even if you are an admirer of Amano’s work already, then the interviews and other articles are also worth reading.”— Forbes on Yoshitaka Amano Illustrations

• Once again, PR I don't care about, but maybe you do.

IDW PUBLISHING

TRANSITIONS: A MOTHER'S JOURNEY

12128883282?profile=RESIZE_710xStory/Art: Élodie Durand | Top Shelf |  176 pages | $19.99

“I thought I was open-minded ...”

Award-winning graphic novelist Élodie Durand (Parenthesis) achieves a new landmark in nonfiction comics with Transitions: A Mother’s Journey. A sympathetic and moving story of a family’s journey to acceptance, Transitions is translated for English-speaking audiences for the first time by Evan McGorray, and will be published by Top Shelf Productions in November 2023.

In Transitions, university biologist Anne Marbot learns that the 19-year-old she raised as “Lucie” is a transgender man named Alex. Struggling to understand her son’s new identity, she’s overwhelmed by questions. How can this be? Who put these ideas in your head? What if you regret it? Am I overreacting? How will your grandparents react? Why didn’t I see it coming? Why is this so easy for others? Am I a bigot? What does gender really mean, anyway? How can I be the parent my child needs? The news of her child’s transition hits Anne like a tidal wave, sweeping away all her certainties and the comfort of her tidy life.

It soon becomes clear that Alex is not the only one embarking on a journey of self-discovery. The road is not easy, and sometimes their relationship is bitterly strained. But Alex is sure of himself, and Anne is determined to be strong for his sake. With time, she too will be transformed, rediscovering her identity as a mother in profound new ways.

“When I met Anne, there was no resource in France for parents living through the transition of their child,” says cartoonist Élodie Durand. “Anne felt powerless to understand or support her son. She had this desire to bear witness for others, to find a way to help.” Thus Durand was invited to adapt Anne’s experience into Transitions. “As I began to research the issues, it was like a relief for me to explore the role of gender in our private and public lives,” continues Durand. “It became clear that gender is a concern for us all — that this intimate story is also the story of every family.”

With grace and sensitivity, Transitions captures the unique journey of well-meaning loved ones who struggle to reconcile new gender identities with their old assumptions. Deeply researched and drawn from the family’s true experience, this captivating graphic novel is a must-read companion for allies and families navigating trans issues and a compassionate roadmap to acceptance.

“Creating this book,” says Durand, “involved many challenges: being fair, respecting everyone's word, taking into account the complex feelings of Anne and Alex, and those around them.” At the book’s conclusion, Alex himself shares his own perspective in a six-page scene.

“Translating Anne and Alex’s story was a moving experience that I cherish deeply,” says Evan McGorray. “I was brought to tears as I translated Alex’s letter to his mother at the end. As a trans nonbinary person with trans friends and family members, I have witnessed so many different positive and negative reactions from parents to the trans experience. A mother’s perspective is complex, often challenging, and Élodie Durand allows the reader to put themself in Anne’s shoes. There is such beauty in her storytelling, fact-presenting, and artwork, and it was an honor to provide the English translation for such a seminal work for parents and loved ones.”

“The world needs this book now more than ever,” says Top Shelf senior editor Leigh Walton. “Friends and family who are navigating the gender transition of a loved one may first be struck by feelings of confusion, concern, or even grief. Those feelings are real and a place to start — but the story must not end there. By documenting this journey in public, warts and all, Anne Marbot and Élodie Durand offer a helping hand to allies everywhere and a beautiful path from disbelief to passionate support.”

“Looking back, I am still surprised that the journey was so long and winding,” reflects Anne Marbot. “Today, I simply say: Alex is my son.”

“Today, when disinformation, bigotry and malicious politicians are attacking transgender people from all sides, books like Transitions can directly counteract such hatred,” continues McGorray, the translator. “I hope Transitions will be a call to action and will inspire allies to educate themselves — something that should not be the sole burden of trans individuals. I dream of the day when the trans community can live without fear, and I know that Transitions will bring the world one day closer to trans freedom, equity and liberation.”

• Contrary to the hopes expressed above, I don't think books like this change any minds. Trans-haters are gonna hate — and they're not going to read this book. (If they become aware of it, they'll try to ban it.) Those who will read this book are likely already in the choir. But I'm glad it exists anyway.
  • Secret Acres is also publishing a trans-acceptance GN this week, I AM ONLY A FOREIGNER BECAUSE YOU DO NOT UNDERSTAND.

12128883462?profile=RESIZE_400x12128883853?profile=RESIZE_400x12128883669?profile=RESIZE_180x18012128883498?profile=RESIZE_400x12128883697?profile=RESIZE_400x12128884255?profile=RESIZE_180x18012128884272?profile=RESIZE_180x18012128884853?profile=RESIZE_400x12128884469?profile=RESIZE_180x180

INTERESTING

I thought SANTOS SISTERS HALLOWEEN SPECIAL would be a Binge Books offering, but the publisher is Floating World Comics. It also somehow co-stars Image's Cassie and Vlad (Hack/Slash), Devil's Due's Mercy Sparx and Scout's The Gutt Ghost, which are all from other publishers. 'Tis a puzzlement. I couldn't find a preview, but there's this:

MARK TWAIN’S 'THE MAN THAT CORRUPTED HADLEYBURG' GN is an adaptation by Humanoids.

Ahoy Comics alert: CAPTAIN GINGER: THE LAST FEEDER #1 (OF 2)

12282308273?profile=RESIZE_400x

12282308283?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story: Stuart Moore | Art: Roy Richardson | Art/Cover: June Brigman | $3.99

This fall, as part of AHOY Comic’s gala fifth anniversary, writer Stuart Moore and artist June Brigman are teaming up once again for a two-issue AHOY anniversary special — CAPTAIN GINGER: THE LAST FEEDER, an all-new chapter in the acclaimed sci-fi epic about cats in space. The latest installment finds Captain Ginger and his crew scattered across a thousand light-years, facing the twin mysteries of the Captain’s long-missing father—and the final fate of the human race.

“I’d rather write CAPTAIN GINGER than anything else in the world, so I’m grateful to AHOY for giving us the chance to continue our story,” said writer Stuart Moore. “This time, we decided to tell a self-contained, Strange New Worlds-type adventure that, at the same time, tackles some of the biggest questions in the Captain’s universe. All his life, Ginger has wondered about his father, and all the evolved cats have wondered about the long-dead humans who created them. Now the answers are in their grasp — maybe.”

By the original team of acclaimed writer Stuart Moore (Marvel Crisis Protocol), legendary comic book artist June Brigman (Power Pack), inker Roy Richardson, and colorist Veronica Gandini, with a galactic variant cover by Walter Simonson (Thor, Ragnarok), issue #1 of the mini-series will also feature a new installment of the AHOY fifth anniversary prose serial by Alex Segura (Secret Identity).

“As always, June Brigman and Roy Richardson tackled this with all the feline love and knowledge any cat-lover could ask for,” added Moore. “We were lucky enough to snag the legendary Walter Simonson for a cat-tastic variant. And never fear, dog lovers. We’ve got you covered too!”

“It's always nice to come home to Captain Ginger,” said artist June Brigman. “Honestly, it's a lot like my home, but with ray guns and spaceships."

Here's what people have been saying about CAPTAIN GINGER:

“These may very well be the characters that June was born to draw and Stuart was born to write!" ― Walter Simonson

"This comic book is INSANE, in the best possible way when one describes something as ‘insane!’ I can’t say I got too excited when I first heard the concept, ‘Cats in Space,’ but Stuart Moore and June Brigman have got it goin’ on! CAPTAIN GINGER rocks! It’s solid sci-fi adventure, beautifully illustrated and electric with wonderful diverse characters, who are CATS (?!)! This ‘puppy’ smells like a sleeper hit (but that could just be the space kitty litter)!” ― Mike Allred

“The Captain and his misbegotten cat crew can count me along for the long haul!” ― Peter Gross

“A wonderfully entertaining series, combining all the tropes and trappings of serious sci-fi with the ridiculousness of cats being cats.” — COMICS BEAT

“So wonderfully trippy and science fiction-y it reminds readers what it is about sci-fi that they love. This is the comic to introduce your friend that hasn’t read comics for a while. If they like cats, even better … a fantastic choice for those looking for something fresh in the comics industry. It could even bring a few lapsed readers back to comics with its uniqueness. There is nothing out there quite like Captain Ginger.” — AIPT

“A fantastic wild ride of space exploration, cat drama, and galactic size imagination.” — EVERYTHING ACTION

“The fun of this series is just how absurd it is. And with the world being a dumpster fire these days, I’ll take all the absurdity I can get.”— MULTIVERSITY

“Entertaining. ... This intergalactic feline space story is both action-packed and full of humor.” —  ALBANY TIMES UNION

“A crazy fun concept.” ― GRAPHIC POLICY

“Great and smart.” ―  PORTLAND OREGONIAN

“Everything a cat-loving sci-fi fan would love." — EVERYTHING ACTION

“A fun and adventurous frolic. You had me at evolved cats in space. Nuff said!” —  IMPULSE GAMER

“It’s a sci-fi story first, make no mistakes, but with so many strong characters onboard, I look forward to the catfights, comedy and – wait for it – catastrophes to come too.” —  COMICON.COM

• Most Ahoy Comics seem interesting at first blush, but I don't know if I can get into anthropomorphic cats.
  • It does have the fifth installment of the prose serial, so readers of that are required to buy this.

12282308293?profile=RESIZE_180x18012282308665?profile=RESIZE_180x18012282308873?profile=RESIZE_180x18012282308887?profile=RESIZE_180x18012282309052?profile=RESIZE_180x18012282309075?profile=RESIZE_180x180

DOCTOR WHO: ONCE UPON A TIME LORD HC

12233184465?profile=RESIZE_400x12233184475?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story: Dan Slott | Art: Christopher Jones and Matthew Dow Smith | Titan Comics | Covers: XXX, Adam Hugues | 64 pages | $17.99

Eisner Award-Winning Spider-Man writer Dan Slott makes his Doctor Who debut.

In order to survive the fiery Pyromeths, Martha Jones must spin three sensational yarns about the Tenth Doctor and his greatest adventures with old and new foes alike!

An epic story that sees companion Martha Jones captured by the insatiable Pyromeths, and her only hope for survival is to keep them distracted with sensational untold tales of the Tenth Doctor facing off against his greatest foes--both classic and new!

Witness the incredible adventures of the Tenth Doctor like never-before! You’ll be on the edge of your Tardis as Martha recounts three unbelievable tales of The Doctor facing off against his deadliest foes!

Dan Slott’s incredible Doctor Who comics debut reveals his love for the franchise, featuring cameos from multiple Doctors and their enemies, including the Daleks and Cybermen! Fans will also delight at the special bonus story starring the Ninth Doctor and Rose!

Bursting straight out of the long-running hit television series, this Doctor Who collection continues the time-traveling tales of the Doctor and friends.

• I would think this of great interest to Doctor Who fans.

12233184289?profile=RESIZE_180x18012233184499?profile=RESIZE_180x18012233184659?profile=RESIZE_180x18012233184876?profile=RESIZE_180x18012233184889?profile=RESIZE_180x18012233185269?profile=RESIZE_180x18012233185300?profile=RESIZE_180x18012233185668?profile=RESIZE_180x180

INSIDE THE MIND OF SHERLOCK HOLMES HC

12281754294?profile=RESIZE_400x

Story: Cyril Lieron | Art: Benoit Dahan | Titan Comics | 96 pages | $24.99

An award-winning original graphic novel starring the world’s greatest detective: Sherlock Holmes! See into Sherlock’s mind like never before as Cyril Lieron depicts an intricate visual representation of his mind palace!

Sherlock Holmes fans can sink their teeth into this brand new original tale, which uniquely portrays the inner workings of the greatest detective’s mind as he works to solve the case!

A visually stunning treat, every thought and clue that flows through Sherlock’s mind is thoroughly explored and displayed in the art for readers to latch onto. Put on your deerstalker and pull out your magnifying glass, there’s a mystery to be solved!

Set in the Victorian era, the discovery of a mysterious powder on some clothing and a very special show ticket leads Sherlock Holmes to believe a patient isn't the only victim of a grand conspiracy.

Indeed, it seems the strange disappearance of Londoners can be explained by the performances of a Chinese magician. When other tickets are found, the detective's suspicions are confirmed.

• I would think this of great interest to Sherlock Holmes fans.

12281754676?profile=RESIZE_180x18012281754894?profile=RESIZE_180x18012281754699?profile=RESIZE_180x18012281755085?profile=RESIZE_180x18012281755297?profile=RESIZE_400x12281755857?profile=RESIZE_400x12281755687?profile=RESIZE_180x18012281755699?profile=RESIZE_400x12281756056?profile=RESIZE_180x180

JOSIE ANNIVERSARY SPECTACULAR (ONE-SHOT)

12283248274?profile=RESIZE_180x180Script/Art: Holly G! | Inks: Jim Amash | Colors: Glenn Whitmore | Letters: Jack Morelli | Cover: Dan Parent, Rosario “Tito” Peña | $3.99

BRAND NEW STORY: “ROCK Cats!” Josie & the Pussycats are about to put on the concert of a lifetime… in space! Then, celebrate 60 years of Josie McCoy with some iconic classic stories!

• Hey! It's the other famous band in the Archie-verse.

12283246292?profile=RESIZE_180x18012283246497?profile=RESIZE_180x18012283247062?profile=RESIZE_180x18012283247075?profile=RESIZE_180x18012283247093?profile=RESIZE_180x18012283247661?profile=RESIZE_180x18012283247677?profile=RESIZE_180x18012283247475?profile=RESIZE_180x180

MITCH #1

12198967883?profile=RESIZE_400xStory/Art:  Maxim Simic | Letters: Josip Sršen | Editor: Andrea Lorenzo Molinari | Scout |

A story about one furry guy on a quest to find his true origins, unintentionally stumbling into adventure, mystery and a secret ongoing extraterrestrial conflict over Earth and its unsuspecting occupants.

Mitch mixes comedy, science fiction and urban fantasy, with character Mitch as the anthropomorphic lead, juxtaposed to the seemingly realistic world of the late '90s. It's chunky Roger Rabbit with a bad temper meets Indiana Jones, set in a Sam Raimi's looking cityscape. This miniseries combines several elements from native American mythology, as well as “star people” (or kachinas) folklore, retold in an ancient astronaut frame, with the legend of Shangri La, a mythical lost city, as the centerpiece of the story.

"In what is a usually risk-averse environment, Scout comics was willing to take a chance on me and Mitch, which says a lot about Scout comics and the people who comprise it. Bold publishers make for fresh comics and fresh ideas. All I hope is to give my readers a few new ideas, few new perspectives, which are essential for embarking on new adventures." — Maxim Šimić (creator/writer/artist)

"Working on Mitch was more than just a great excuse to finally do something with Maxim. Having lettered comics for comic artist friends, Mitch is my first work being published overseas. It was a big learning experience as well, working in another language, with a different lettering tradition. I am grateful to Maxim for having me on his project and to Scout comics for picking up this title. What do we do next?" — Josip Sršen (letterer)

Maxim Simic’s new book, Mitch, a heady cocktail of folklore, sci-fi, espionage, and hardboiled pulp fiction, is literally like no other comic on the stands!  Funny, beautifully drawn, and dripping with a kind of unshaven, unwashed, hungover charm, it’s irresistible.  It kept me guessing, and I love that! — John Arcudi

• I'm probably not into anthropomorphic rabbits any more than anthropomorphic cats, but apparently he's the only talking rabbit in his world, so that's a plus.

12198969063?profile=RESIZE_180x18012198969075?profile=RESIZE_180x18012198968895?profile=RESIZE_180x18012198969098?profile=RESIZE_180x18012198969865?profile=RESIZE_180x18012198970060?profile=RESIZE_180x18012198969894?profile=RESIZE_180x18012198970094?profile=RESIZE_180x18012198970270?profile=RESIZE_180x180

MORE FIRST ISSUES, OGNS

BROOMS GN (Levine Querido) is about Black, lesbian, broom-racing witches in 1930s Mississippi. I sure didn't see that coming.

Drawn & Quarterly's THE CLIFF GN: "Schoolyard outcasts Charlie and Astrid meet up after school near a cliff at the edge of the woods surrounding their sleepy town. They make a blood pact to jump together in five days time, before their thirteenth birthdays. With a deft use of colored pencils, Debaye captures childhood's last pivotal moments as it teeters on the edge of adolescence with startling honesty in this devastatingly well-crafted debut." It's Mature Readers, I assume for the suicide theme. Here's a PREVIEW.

A guy with empathic abilities seems to be a kind of superhero in the big city in Blackbox's EMPATH #1 (OF 5). Here's a PREVIEW.

In EXODUS: TALES OF DAMNED #1 (Opus Comics), a woman tracks her sister who can hear "The Tempo of the Damned" to an abandoned town where, I assume, bad things will happen (as this is a horror book). I can't tell if this story will continue, or if the next issue will be something else. It costs $6.66, which is cute.

Resurrected character alert: Rocketship Entertainment's FELIX THE CAT TP.

Graphic Mundi's GOOD GIRLS GO TO HELL GN is another coming-of-age story, but this one seems both intersting and timely: Its author is the daughter of a conservative Jewish family living in the West Bank.

MACANUDO: OPTIMISM IS FOR THE BRAVE HC is "the second volume in Fantagraphics' English-language collection of the internationally beloved newspaper strip." Which I have never heard of. Here's a PREVIEW.

Battle Quest's NOMADD UNCONQUERABLE: CAVE OF BROKEN TOMBS #1 (OF 5): "In the aftermath of No'madd's journey to the City of Empty Towers, his son, Taron, is mentored by Whispers, a hermit seer. Taron must prepare for his role in the battle against the alien invaders that threaten his home.  Meanwhile, across the sea of storms, a sinister new foe arises." What th--!? Here's a PREVIEW.

Soaring Penguin's SALMONELLA SMORGASBORD GN: "A compilation of comics, art and graphics by the cartoonist Mark Stafford, collecting his small press books, magazine strips, anthology contributions and previously unpublished works" I don't know who this guy is, but maybe you do. Here's a PREVIEW.

SCHOOL FOR EXTRATERRESTRIAL GIRLS VOLUME 2

11107213656?profile=RESIZE_710xStory: Jeremy Whitley | Art: Jamie Noguchi | Papercutz | $19.99

The students of the School for Extraterrestrial Girls has met their match when they collide with the School For Extraterrestrial Boys!

The extraterrestrial girls are back! With their former school compromised, exposing Tara, Misako, Summer, and Kat, to possible danger from unknown alien forces, they all must relocate to a new hidden school — The School for Extraterrestrial Boys! Located on a hidden island in the arctic north, the new campus has a mysteriously warm summer climate, a beautiful lake, and dozens of sinister mysteries! The girls are staying in what appears to be summer cabins on the lake while going to school in the mysterious castle where the boys stay. This is all under the watchful eye of the boys' headmaster, Headmaster Stokes — an arrogant man with an unknown agenda and an obsession with Tara's people. They may still be in school, but this will be a semester full of blossoming romances, learning to love themselves and trying to survive the mysteries of both this terrifying island and boys! Romance, magic and near-death experiences are all part of a regular school day at the School for Extraterrestrial Girls.

Click Here to read ICv2 announcement & Q&A with Jeremy Whitley.

See what Critics had to say about School For Extraterrestrial Girls

“An engaging title with an entertaining story and deft use of color and design. The clever premise will entice readers, who will eagerly anticipate future installments in this new series — School Library Journal

“Engaging science fiction that is fiercely female-forward.” (Graphic science fiction. 9-12) — Kirkus Starred Review

The Hal Clement Notable Young Adult Books 2021 List

School for Extraterrestrial Girls, for us, was an opportunity to play in this fun space of BIG sci-fi (aliens, different worlds, different species) and at the same time ground it in very real feelings of coming of age. Tara is a kid who's had her whole life set out for her by her parents and has done what they said without question. She's bookish, studious, and ambitious. However, when she spontaneously combusts in the middle of class one day, her whole world is turned upside down as she learns that her parents aren't really her parents and they've been hiding from her the fact that she's actually an alien her whole life. She's given the choice of being sent back to her people's homeworld or learning how to be "a good earthling" at the School for Extraterrestrial Girls. For Tara, that isn't even really a choice. She's lived her whole life on Earth and has no idea what would await her on her home planet, so she has to join the school.

“Obviously, in a lot of ways this is not so different from choices that real kids face about their lives all the time, it's just on a way way bigger scale. She also begins developing these relationships with her classmates that are strained by who they are and where they come from, but all the more intense because of where and how they're forming them. Not unlike normal high school, they're incredibly different people pushed into this high pressure situation and trying to make relationships with others while they're still figuring out who they are. Added with Jamie's fun, colorful, Tokusatsu (“Tokusastu" is a Japanese term for a live action show or film that uses practical special effects. Godzilla, Power Rangers, Ultraman and Kamen Rider are all examples of tokusatsu that influenced Book 2) influenced art, I think it's a fun and light read that will really stick with the people who need it.

“This series is really important to us, because we get to do the best of both worlds. We get to have the high drama of high school right alongside the giant aliens and monsters. And that, I think, captures the feeling of what it's like to be in high school better than the real thing.

“At some point in their time in high school, everybody feels like an alien." — Jeremy Whitley, Jamie Noguchi

BOOM's ZAWA + THE BELLY OF THE BEAST #1 (OF 5) is "a charmingly macabre eco-friendly fable about nature, greed, and good food:" Here's a PREVIEW.

OTHER PREVIEWS

ARCHIE JUMBO COMICS DIGEST #345

12283248690?profile=RESIZE_180x18012283249095?profile=RESIZE_180x18012283249265?profile=RESIZE_180x18012283249475?profile=RESIZE_180x18012283249285?profile=RESIZE_180x18012283249685?profile=RESIZE_180x18012283249696?profile=RESIZE_180x18012283250080?profile=RESIZE_180x18012283250659?profile=RESIZE_180x18012283250679?profile=RESIZE_180x18012283250686?profile=RESIZE_180x180

ATOM THE BEGINNING VOL 6 GN

12281754053?profile=RESIZE_180x18012281754065?profile=RESIZE_400x12281754083?profile=RESIZE_400x12281754254?profile=RESIZE_400x12281753898?profile=RESIZE_400x

SCARLET COUTURE: THE MUNICH FILE #4

12269870876?profile=RESIZE_180x18012269870893?profile=RESIZE_180x18012269871281?profile=RESIZE_180x180

12282263090?profile=RESIZE_180x18012282263101?profile=RESIZE_180x18012282263272?profile=RESIZE_180x180

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Batman guest stars in SUPERMAN VS. MESHI VOL 2 TP

I really enjoyed v1 and am looking forward to v2.

I guess the first series sold well.

I really didn't care for the Superman movie series, but I did enjoy the first Superman '78 comic book series (more than the current verion of the mainstream title).

Most Ahoy Comics seem interesting at first blush, but I don't know if I can get into anthropomorphic cats.

I bought the first series and this is my review: "It is what it is." If you don't think you'll like anthropomorphic cats, you won't like Captain Ginger. However, if you know you'll love anthropomorphic cats, then Captain Ginger is the series for you! I bought Captain Ginger because I buy all of the AHOY! comics. Cats aren't my thing but, as Don Thompson used to say, "If this is the kind of thing you like, then you'll like this." I gave a copy of the first issue to our friend who loves cats, but she didn't read it. Tracy, who also loves cats, didn't read it, either. I'm sure they would both like it if they read it, but you know what they say: "You can lead a cat-lover to a comic book, but you can't make her read it."

The second four-issue series stopped publicationn with #2, but all four planned issues were included in the tpb. I didn't buy it because I buy the original issues and not the trades, but I did buy v2 #1-2. (It's not my thing but it's not that bad.) Similarly, I didn't buy the recent Cereal Wars tpb, either (which reprints the previously-published back-ups with an all-new conclusion), since it's not really my thing, either.

This reply was deleted.