Comics Guide: July 31-Aug. 6, 2023

TOP 5 PUBLISHERS

MARVEL COMICS

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN ANNUAL #1

11107208657?profile=RESIZE_400xStory: Erica Schultz | Art: Julian Shaw | Cover: Corin Howell | Variants: Clarice “Saowee” Menguito, George Pérez | 40 pages | Teen | $4.99

HALLOWS’ EVE RETURNS!

After her explosive debut in last year’s AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #14 and her exciting role in the X-Men/Spider-Man crossover DARK WEB, HALLOWS’ EVE continues to take the Marvel Universe by storm in the pages of her very own hit solo series and even scored a second printing of her sold-out first issue! The new identity of Ben Reilly’s longtime girlfriend Janine Godbe, Hallows’ Eve is an ex-con armed with an arsenal of enchanted masks, and she’s just getting started! This August, she’s co-starring in a double-sized AMAZING SPIDER-MAN annual with a main story written by current HALLOWS’ EVE scribe Erica Schultz and drawn by rising star artist Julian Shaw (Marvel’s Voices: Spider-Verse, Wakanda).

In AMAZING SPIDER-MAN ANNUAL, Hallows’ Eve will attempt her biggest scheme yet: breaking Chasm out of jail! Currently imprisoned in Madelyne Pryor’s new demonic Limbo Embassy, Spider-Man’s misguided clone is more vengeful than ever, and Hallows’ Eve is the only one who dares to let him loose! Does she have the skills and nerve to go head to head against the Goblin Queen? And how will the dark tidings from this year’s Hellfire Gala impact her bold rescue attempt?

"It's been fantastic to work on HALLOWS’ EVE and really flesh out Janine's story,” Schultz shared. “For a character that's been around for 25 years or so, there was a lot to explore and dive into. Dark Web was only the beginning, and the fans really seem to be enjoying her journey. I wasn't exactly ready to let her go just yet, and the mighty people at Marvel gave me my wish!"

The rest of the annual will be a story spinning directly out of this year’s HELLFIRE GALA and is so top secret, nothing can be revealed about it just yet!

• “For a character that's been around for 25 years or so ..." Wait, this Janine Godbe character has been around for a quarter of a century? Oh, wait, I see: She was introduced as "Elizabeth Tyne" in 1995 before her Godbe name was revealed. And she didn't become Hallows' Eve until last Halloween. With all those name changes, it's no wonder she didn't make an impression on my long-term memory.
  • Also, all these years I have really wanted Ben Reilly to go away and stop reminding me of the "Clone Saga."

ASTONISHING ICEMAN #1 (OF 5)

11026363674?profile=RESIZE_710x

Story: Steve Orlando | Art:  Vincenzo Carratù | Cover: Jesús Saiz | Variants: Ejiwa "Edge" Ebenebe, Skottie Young, Ken Lashley, Humberto Ramos | Teen+ | $3.99

THE OMEGA-LEVEL MUTANT AS YOU’VE NEVER SEEN HIM BEFORE!

Since 2019’s revolutionary HOUSE OF X and POWERS OF X series, mutantkind has experienced unparalleled growth and prosperity on the island nation Krakoa — but can it really last forever? Following July’s X-MEN: HELLFIRE GALA #1, mutantkind will enter a thrilling new era of uncertainty, danger and mystery known as FALL OF X! But as the X-Men recover from this brutal defeat, one member will strike out on their own as Earth’s new protector in ASTONISHING ICEMAN!

Just in time for the X-Men’s 60th anniversary, readers will witness one of the X-Men’s founding members embark on his most extraordinary chapter yet in a new ongoing series written by Steve Orlando (Marauders, Scarlet Witch) and drawn by Vincenzo Carratù (Mary Jane & Black Cat). Launching in August, ASTONISHING ICEMAN will elevate Bobby Drake to Super Hero greatness, complete with a new base of operations, never-before-seen uses of his abilities, and fierce new enemies. Iceman’s newfound purpose will position him among Marvel’s most powerful beings, but a dark side effect of his new mission could cause it all to shatter…

After the events of this year’s can’t-miss Hellfire Gala, Bobby Drake, aka Iceman, sets his sights on heroic deeds like never before. But as a new situation develops that links Iceman to his Antarctic ice palace, he’ll have to be slicker than ever to accomplish his mission before ORCHIS knows what hit them! See the Omega-level mutant as you’ve never seen him before in a new saga that’ll push Iceman to the limits of his powers … and beyond!

“Have I not been saying my next Marvel project was cool as hell?” Orlando said. “ASTONISHING ICEMAN has been not just a joy, but a challenge, and the best possible kind .... because the FALL OF X means Iceman's life is more dangerous and harrowing than ever. But Bobby is a hero to the core, and there's no danger he's met in whose face he won't laugh. When it's more dangerous than ever to be a hero, that's when Iceman's at his most heroic! And with Jesus Saiz and Vincenzo Carratù joining me on this — Iceman's going to look cooler than ever. See what I did there?”

• I confess that my love for the original 1960s X-Men was primarily because they were such underdogs, in the sense that most of them weren't very powerful and/or interesting. Bobby Drake is a case in point: He was basically comedy relief, and mostly useless, until decades later, when he suddenly became a powerhouse. Maybe it's because my perceptions are colored by my earliest memories, but I still don't find him interesting. And Silver Surfer pulls off the no-color look far better.
  • Well, maybe These Kids Today (tm) will dig him. They like a lot of stuff I don't!
  • "Fall of X" tie-in.

DEATH OF THE VENOMVERSE #1 (OF 5)

11117280674?profile=RESIZE_710x

Story: Cullen Bunn | Art: Gerardo Sandoval | Cover: Björn Barends | Variants: Gabriele Dell’otto, Iban Coello, Leirix, Mark Bagley, Ryan Stegman | 40 pages | Teen+ | $4.99

THE END OF THE VENOMVERSE IS HERE!

CULLEN BUNN and GERARDO SANDOVAL reunite to bring the symbiotic ax down on the VENOMVERSE!

CARNAGE has been building his powers up, extracting unique abilities from many villains throughout the MARVEL UNIVERSE to the point of traversing the Multiverse with ONE GOAL: KILL ANY AND ALL VENOMS!

The SUMMER OF SYMBIOTES has been raging across Marvel Comics with brand-new symbiote sagas and series launches, all leading up to DEATH OF THE VENOMVERSE, a new series from visionary Venom writer Cullen Bunn and symbiote master artist Gerardo Sandoval! DEATH OF THE VENOMVERSE will see CARNAGE rise as the new KING IN BLACK, but first he’ll have to traverse the Multiverse and savagely slaughter all his competition! Witness exactly what he’s up against in acclaimed artist Gabriele Dell’Otto’s specturly sinister CONNECTING VARIANT COVERS. In this monumental piece that will adorn all five issues of the series, Dell’Otto has depicted symbiote icons as well as breakout stars that have already recently made their debut in the pages of EXTREME VENOMVERSE. Plus, amongst the chaos, fans can spot the all-new SYMBIOTE SIX who will wreak havoc for the first time in DEATH OF VENOMVERSE #2!

“It's been far too long since I've written any stories about Venom and company,” Bunn said. “About Eddie, about Flash, about Andi, about Carnage. This story — this completely bonkers epic — feels like the right time to throw my symbiotic hat back in the ring. Returning to a multiverse full of Venom symbiotes, maybe (but hopefully not) for the last time, I knew I had to do something big. Thus, the title — DEATH OF THE VENOMVERSE — was born. Perhaps that title is a bit of a threat for our favorite symbiotes, but I promise you it is not empty! Get ready for plenty of surprises, some heartbreak, and more symbiotes than you can shake a stick at!”

• "Summer of Symbiotes" tie-in.
  • Please, God, let this end soon.

11130078053?profile=RESIZE_710x

DOCTOR STRANGE #6

• "Bonus page written by Jonathan Hickman — WHO ARE THE G.O.D.S.?"
  • This story announcing nine books with G.O.D.S. variant covers and the bonus page doesn't say, but I assume it's the same bonus page in all nine books.

FANTASTIC FOUR #10

MAGNETO #1

11035746269?profile=RESIZE_710x11035746280?profile=RESIZE_710x

Story: J.M. Dematteis | Art/Cover: Todd Nauck | Variants: Luca Maresca, Greg Land, Gustavo Duarte | Teen+ | $4.99

MAGNETO WAS RIGHT!

Just in time for 60th anniversary of the X-Men, fans will be able to dive into the methods, ideologies, and history of one of the franchise’s most complex figures: MAGNETO! Two industry icons, legendary writer J.M. DeMatteis and superstar artist Todd Nauck, will team up for an all-new limited series taking place when Magneto, fulfilling a promise to Professor X, took charge of the Xavier Institute in his friend’s absence. Magneto’s struggles and triumphs as teacher to the next generation of mutantkind made this a beloved era and a major turning point in the character’s evolution. Now, experience a never-before-told saga filled with new truths about this fascinating time period including a dark secret from Magneto’s villainous past that threatened to disrupt it!

Magneto burst onto the scene as the most diabolical of “Evil Mutants”! But when Professor X must leave the planet for life-saving treatment, Magneto inherits a new title: TEACHER! With the New Mutants under his tutelage, how will these young and powerful mutants learn to take orders from … a supervillain?! And one who tried to KILL them and their predecessors?! There are two sides to every story, and this new tale that will show how Magneto Was Right … from a certain point of view. In fact, one mutant, known as Irae, in her first ever appearance, has taken Magneto’s lessons to heart in a way that will upend even the Master of Magnetism’s best strategies!

“Magneto may be the single most complex character in the Marvel Universe: a man of dizzying contradictions who has endured, and caused, extraordinary suffering. Who’s been both villain and hero. Whose long, tangled history invites endless exploration,” DeMatteis said. “Our new Magneto series allows us to look at all aspects of Erik Lehnsherr’s soul and psyche — at a period when he was trying to put his life as a so-called ‘evil’ mutant behind him and step, somewhat reluctantly, into Charles Xavier’s shoes, attempting to guide a new generation of mutants. We also get to look back at the early days of the X-Men — one of my favorite periods in Marvel history — and introduce a new villain, born in the cauldron of Magneto’s dark past.”

“I am very excited to return to draw an X-Men comic, especially this Magneto series,” Nauck said. “When I started reading Marvel comics as a kid, Magneto had just taken over as headmaster of the Xavier School and overseeing the New Mutants. Our new Magneto series taps into that deep fandom for me. During the pandemic, I had done a reread of the 100-issue run of the original New Mutants series (plus spin-offs, specials and annuals) for fun. So when I got the opportunity to join this Magneto creative team, I was more than ready to tackle art duties for this all-new Magneto/New Mutants adventure! Each New Mutant has such a distinct look and unique personality. Their friendship and camaraderie are so much fun to convey. And Magneto’s struggle to fill Xavier’s shoes and challenges he faces in trying to mentor these kids make for great dramatic and emotional moments to draw.”

• Krakoa is basically Magneto's philosophy realized. That's kind of sad. But realistic, given how people are always trying to kill mutants.
  • I'm sure this series will try to explain to me why A) Xavier asked Magneto to run Xavier's school, when Magneto had been trying to kill the X-Men for decades, and B) why the X-Men would let Magneto run Xavier's school, when Magneto had been trying to kill them for decades. I didn't buy it then, and I probably won't buy it now.
  • Most readers today probably came on board after Magneto's conversion into an anti-hero or later, and see nothing wrong with him palling around with the X-Men. They don't remember when the Master of Magnetism tried to kill the X-Men every chance he got throughout the '60s, or was so bloodthirsty he tried to kill the X-Men (and an entire South American nation) with an atomic bomb, or murdered a Russian sub crew by sinking the boat, or tortured the Angel, or used the Angel's parents to try to create mutates, or conducted cruel scientific experiments on the Savage Land natives, or ... well, you get the point. He was a really bad guy for decades, and that's hard for me to overlook. First learned, last forgot.
  • BTW, how is this not a "Fall of X" tie-in?

MARVEL MULTIVERSE ROLE-PLAYING GAME: CORE RULEBOOK HC

10785570292?profile=RESIZE_400xStory: Matt Forbeck | Cover: Iban Coello | $59.99

New adventures in the Marvel Multiverse start now! Today, Marvel announced the official role-playing game core rulebook and a new adventure book coming in Summer 2023. Both books are written by award-winning and New York Times best-selling author Matt Forbeck (The Marvel Encyclopedia, Dungeons & Dragons: Dungeonology) and feature covers by artist Iban Coello.

First, RPG players will be able to take on the roles of Marvel’s most famous Super Heroes in ‘MARVEL MULTIVERSE ROLE-PLAYING GAME: CORE RULEBOOK,’ on sale June 2023. Fully updated and expanded from the PLAYTEST RULEBOOK, which is now available, the core rulebook features all the rules that both new and seasoned players alike will need — including quick character creation, bombastic combat, and scores of amazing powers — plus full profiles of dozens of Marvel’s greatest heroes and villains. All that's needed is the book, three standard six-sided dice, and friends!

• My RPG days were pretty short-lived, but if this had been available, they might not have been.

MOON KNIGHT #26

SCARLET WITCH #7 

11035738265?profile=RESIZE_710x

11035738292?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story: Steve Orlando | Art: Lorenzo Tammetta & Sara Pichelli | Cover: Russell Dauterman | Variants: Meghan Hetrick, Sara Pichelli, Lucas Werneck, Pablo Villalobos | Teen+ | $3.99

This August, a witch hunt begins! Wanda Maximoff is currently using her chaos magic to help the people who need her most in the pages of writer Steve Orlando and artist Sara Pichelli’s hit ongoing SCARLET WITCH series. Along the way, she’s battled against the likes of The Corrupter, Dreamqueen, Scythia and more, but her jaw-dropping mystical feats have drawn the attention of a deadly new foe … Introducing NICOLA ZOSIMOS, A.K.A. HEXFINDER!

A powerful alchemist from a long line of witch hunters, Hexfinder will begin her mission to snuff out Wanda’s magic for good in August’s SCARLET WITCH #7. Also featuring artwork by Lorenzo Tammetta, SCARLET WITCH #7 will kick Orlando and Pichelli’s critically-acclaimed run into high gear as Wanda finds herself faced with a new archenemy who’s every bit her match!

JOURNEY INTO OZ! Wanda swore to help anyone who walked through her door … but what happens when that person is a villain? When Nelson Gruber, A.K.A. Bookworm, comes through the Last Door seeking aid to kill wicked witches in a corner of Oklahoma that’s been transformed into the Emerald City, Wanda must choose between honoring her covenant and going against her own principles. Her daring actions in “Oz” will cause HEXFINDER to finally make her presence known and put her deadly plan for Wanda into motion.

“Piece by piece, we've been laying new track in SCARLET WITCH. New faces, new places and challenges, and of course — new villains! HEXFINDER is about to hit Wanda Maximoff's life hard — and from every angle,” Orlando teased. “Nicola Zosimos has a vendetta against witches and witchcraft that rivals Gorr the Godbutcher's hatred for gods. Now that Wanda's the most powerful and prominent she's been in years, Hexfinder's no longer content to let her destroy herself. She's taking the initiative to strike — and thanks to her alchemical Philosopher's Staff, no witch is safe. Not even the Scarlet Witch!”

• Marvel really wanted you to see that Hexfinder design page.

12161854854?profile=RESIZE_180x18012161854662?profile=RESIZE_180x18011035738076?profile=RESIZE_180x180

STAR WARS: DARK DROIDS #1 (OF 5)

12132278501?profile=RESIZE_710x12132278860?profile=RESIZE_710x

Story: Charles Soule | Art: Luke Ross | Cover: Leinil Francis Yu | Variants: Jim Cheung, Giuseppe Camuncoli, John Tyler Christopher, Josemaria Casanovas, Rachael Stott | 40 pages | Teen | $4.99

First, it came for the metal. … Then it came for everything else.

This summer, a malevolent being known as The Scourge threatens to take over everything in the galaxy. From droid to cyborg to humans, can anything stop its horrific march to ultimately control … the Force?

A story bolder than anyone could have imagined kicks off in the new Star Wars crossover event STAR WARS: DARK DROIDS, but has been brewing over the course of Marvel Star Wars comics for months. Scourge’s existence threatens both the Empire and the Rebels in its quest for power. Even Darth Vader — more machine than man — is not immune to succumbing to the Scourge’s corruption.

STAR WARS: DARK DROIDS will unfold in a main series by writer Charles Soule and artist Luke Ross, the team behind other Star Wars comic crossover epics like War of the Bounty Hunters as well as a spinoff limited series, STAR WARS: DARK DROIDS – D-SQUAD, and tie into the four ongoing series that are currently bridging the gap between the films The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi: STAR WARS, STAR WARS: DARTH VADER, STAR WARS: DOCTOR APHRA, and STAR WARS: BOUNTY HUNTERS.

The horror-fueled story promises to be unlike any told in Star Wars history as droids of all allegiances and roles become highjacked by the new entity created by the merging of two technologies introduced in both Doctor Aphra (The Spark Eternal) and Star Wars: Hidden Empire. This terrifying threat was first teased in Star Wars: Revelations, which debuted Ajax Sigma, a warrior droid with free will whose attempt at a droid revolution was brutally crushed by the Jedi during the High Republic era. As seen in the recent Star Wars: Han Solo & Chewbacca limited series, Han and Chewie made a desperate attempt to prevent Ajax’s remains from falling into the hands of Jabba the Hutt … but why was Ajax so important to Jabba and why is Ajax so important to stopping the threat of the Scourge? Once the Spark Eternal makes contact with an ancient technology banned long ago by the Sith, no corner of the Star Wars galaxy will be safe.

Fans can see just how chilling things will become in Josemaria Casanovas’ new connecting cover. The six-part piece will adorn all six STAR WARS: DARK DROIDS installments in August and spotlights a breathtaking lineup of iconic droids, all with glowing violet eyes and lenses, indicating that they’ve been tragically compromised by the malevolent entity known as the Scourge!

“This is one of the most impressive connecting covers I’ve ever seen,” Editor Mark Paniccia said. “Josemaria put his heart and soul into these along with many, many hours. I love this collection of droids! Every one of them is somebody’s favorite!”

Star Wars © Lucasfilm Ltd. & TM. All rights reserved. Used under authorization. Text and illustrations for Star Wars are © 2023 Lucasfilm Ltd.

• This launches a crossover for most (but not all) Star Wars titles that will run — if the length of the miniseries is an indicator — five months. Since Marvel publishes approximately 8 squadrillion Star Wars titles a month, we'll be seeing the words "'Dark Droids' tie-in" a lot.
  • "Dark Droids" tie-in.

12161865490?profile=RESIZE_180x18012161865670?profile=RESIZE_180x18012161865861?profile=RESIZE_180x18012132278888?profile=RESIZE_180x18011764176478?profile=RESIZE_400x

STRANGE ACADEMY: MILES MORALES #1

12132280673?profile=RESIZE_710xStory:Carlos Hernandez | Art: Juann Cabal | Cover: Nick Bradshaw | Variants: Lee Garbett, Humberto Ramos | 40 pages | Teen | $4.99

School is back in session at Doctor Strange’s STRANGE ACADEMY! This August, writer Carlos Hernandez teams up with superstar artists Juann Cabal, Zé Carlos, and Vasco Georgiev for an extraordinary three-part saga which follows the students of Strange Academy as they team up with other heroes across the Marvel Universe!

The interconnected story kicks off with STRANGE ACADEMY: MILES MORALES #1, continues with STRANGE ACADEMY: MOON KNIGHT #1, and concludes in October’s STRANGE ACADEMY: AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #1 where all three spotlighted heroes work together with the students to take down a new foe! A hit with young readers and longtime Marvel Comics fans, STRANGE ACADEMY is a beloved new addition to the Marvel Universe overflowing with fascinating new characters and mystical mythology, and you won’t want to miss this exciting new chapter for Doctor Strange's school for sorcery!

Strange Academy is kicking the school year off with a field trip to New York City to throw down against Brooklyn Visions Academy in the Multiversal Math Bowl! When a mysterious new villain crashes the mathletics, the students of Strange Academy must team up with Miles Morales to put a stop to his plots in STRANGE ACADEMY: MILES MORALES #1.

Then, witness the devastating consequences that the Multiversal Math Bowl has unleashed on New York that force the students of Strange Academy to enter the orbit of Moon Knight in STRANGE ACADEMY: MOON KNIGHT #1! Is the brilliant new villain called The Equation more than even Moon Knight and his Midnight Mission can handle?

And in the grand finale, STRANGE ACADEMY: AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #1, the Equation has taken down Miles Morales, Moon Knight and half the students of Strange Academy. Can Spidey swing in to help?

• "Strange Academy" tie-in.

WHAT IF...? DARK: VENOM #1

11037101066?profile=RESIZE_400xStory: Stephanie Phillips | Art: Jethro Morales | Cover: Philip Tan | Variants: Nick Bradshaw, Skan | 40 pages | Teen+ | $4.99

WHAT IF…BEN GRIMM BECAME VENOM?

When BEN GRIMM returns to Earth after his exploration of space post-SECRET WARS, he finds that the FANTASTIC FOUR has trapped a helpless Klyntar symbiote in Reed’s lab! But is that symbiote really helpless? Or is it truly one of the most dangerous symbiotes in the galaxy? Witness the birth of a brand-new VENOM!

• This combines one of my most favorite characters with one of my least favorite. Cognitive dissonance!

X-MEN #25

11019815071?profile=RESIZE_400x11019815092?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story: Gerry Duggan | Art: Stefano Caselli | Cover: Joshua Cassara | Variants: Peach Momoko, Alex Ross, Mark Brooks, Russell Daughterman, Bryan Hitch, C.F. Villa | 56 pages | Teen+ | $5.99

THE FALL.

She’s been known as Kitty, Sprite, Ariel, Red Queen and Captain Kate. Now, as a new X-Men team finds their way through their darkest hour … SHADOWKAT emerges!

• Once again, Marvel is excited enough about a design page to send out a press release.
  • "Fall of X" tie-in.

12161862070?profile=RESIZE_180x18012161861671?profile=RESIZE_400x12161862093?profile=RESIZE_180x18012161862453?profile=RESIZE_180x18012161862270?profile=RESIZE_180x18012161862289?profile=RESIZE_180x180

DC COMICS

BLUE BEETLE: GRADUATION DAY TP

11036144690?profile=RESIZE_710x12161826894?profile=RESIZE_400xStory: Josh Trujillo | Art/Cover: Adrian Gutierrez | $14.99

Jaime Reyes has a lot to juggle. Whether it’s his finals for senior year or a new villain tearing up El Paso, Jaime is always torn between two worlds. But when those worlds come crashing together at his high school graduation, nothing will ever be the same.

Jaime Reyes is the hero Blue Beetle, bonded to a sentient alien artifact called a scarab that gives him high-tech armor. He’s also a high school senior about to graduate! When a message from alien civilization the Reach bombards Jaime’s scarab on graduation day, he’s literally grounded by the Justice League. And as if that weren’t enough to worry about, Jaime’s parents and friends are pressuring him about his next steps in life.

Jaime arrives in Palmera City to spend a gap year working in his tias’ restaurant, but he’s got other things on his mind — like who is the mysterious new Yellow Beetle he saw on the news? How are they connected to the Reach message that bombarded his scarab? And what’s hidden here on Earth that’s drawing the Reach back?

Can Jaime find balance in his life and rise to become a true hero, or will this super-heroing bring the full might of the Justice League down on him?

A Spanish-language edition, Blue Beetle: Día de Graduación, will publish simultaneously with the English-language edition. 

“If you're looking for a series that brilliantly encapsulates the hero at its core, look no further than Blue Beetle: Graduation Day.” — ComicBook

“The perfect jumping-on point for fans who’ve been anxiously awaiting Jaime Reyes’ new adventure.” — AiPT

“This is the kind of Blue Beetle comic I’ve been waiting for.” — Mutiversity Comics

• No doubt tied to the upcoming movie — which has "shockingly low" box office predictions, according to CBR — this collection of the Graduation Day mini comes in both English and Spanish. I'd be really curious to know what kind of numbers the Spanish version is making, but good or bad, it's smart of DC to explore the market.

JUSTICE SOCIETY OF AMERICA #5 (OF 12)

KNIGHT TERRORS: BATMAN #2 (OF 2)

KNIGHT TERRORS: BLACK ADAM #2 (OF 2)

KNIGHT TERRORS: JOKER #2 (OF 2)

KNIGHT TERRORS: POISON IVY #2 (OF 2)

KNIGHT TERRORS: RAVAGER #2 (OF 2)

• "Knight Terrors" tie-ins.

OMEGA MEN #3 FACSIMILE EDITION

• First appearance of Lobo.

THE SANDMAN UNIVERSE SPECIAL: THESSALY #1 (ONE SHOT)

12158768276?profile=RESIZE_400x12158768292?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story: James Tynion IV | Art: Maria Llovet | Cover: Reiko Murakami | Variants: Skylar Patridge, Jasmin Darnell | 40 pages | $4.99/$5.99 (card stock)

The immortal witch Thessaly is no stranger to dead ends. But she’s won the hearts of gods and beings more powerful than gods, and persistence has always been her strong suit. Following her scheming machinations in Nightmare Country and Dead Boy Detectives, Thessaly is more determined than ever to suss out the seemingly impenetrable mystery surrounding the death of Madison Flynn. To do that, she’s going to have to get close to the source material — close enough to magic herself into the job of screenwriter on Madison Flynn’s biopic. But she’s going to need a little help to keep the gig … perhaps from one of those Muses the King of Dreams told her about long ago.

The Sandman Universe Special: Thessaly reunites Nightmare Country visionary James Tynion IV with star Faithless artist Maria Llovet to take you on a journey through the festering darkness pulsating beneath Hollywood’s glitz and glamour!

• She may look like a bookish high school girl, but Thessaly's really one of the scariest critters in the Sandman Universe.

SCOOBY-DOO! WHERE ARE YOU? #123

• For Kids

TEEN TITANS: RAVEN CONNECTING COVER EDITION TP (1 OF 4)

TEEN TITANS: BEAST BOY CONNECTING COVER EDITION TP (2 OF 4)

TEEN TITANS: BEAST BOY LOVES RAVEN CONNECTING COVER EDITION TP (3 OF 4)

TEEN TITANS: ROBIN CONNECTING COVER EDITION TP (4 OF 4)

• Young Adult.

12161829653?profile=RESIZE_400x12161829862?profile=RESIZE_400x12161829689?profile=RESIZE_400x12161830299?profile=RESIZE_400x

YOUNG ALFRED: PAIN IN THE BUTLER TP

• For kids.

IMAGE COMICS

JUNK RABBIT #5 (OF 5)

12150390459?profile=RESIZE_400xCovers: Jimmie Robinson, Valentino & Robinson, Mark Bodé

Fan favorite Bomb Queen creator Jimmie Robinson’s Junk Rabbit series finale issue will feature a special, secret variant by indie artist icon Mark Bodé. The surprise copies of this secret variant will arrive to retailers in their shipment of issue #5 orders.

Bodé is a world renowned muralist in the tradition of his late father, underground comix pioneer, Vaughn Bodé, and rose to prominence in the comics scene in his own right. He has also contributed to Heavy Metal magazine and the popular The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Bodé is a longtime friend of Robinson’s and this cover marks his first Image contribution.

In Junk Rabbit #5, the Rabbit’s life hinges on a desperate do-or-die plot by an unlikely duo using trashed ancient technology. Will it be enough to save the Rabbit, or will other sacrifices have to be made?

• Image wanted you to see this variant cover enough to send out a press release. So here it is.

QUEST #1

11128041076?profile=RESIZE_400xStory/Art: Jonathan Luna | Teen+ | $3.99

Writer/artist Jonathan Luna (The Sword, Alex + Ada) returns for an ongoing fantasy series with writer Crystal Wood (The Black Ballad) in the upcoming Quest

In a land inspired by Southeast Asia, Princess Anya’s new husband Prince Devyan is violently abducted by three giant demons at their wedding. Anya sets out on an epic journey with a growing band of loyal warriors, crossing deadly landscapes and battling horrifying demons. What will she sacrifice to save the man she loves?

"One of my childhood movies is Clash of the Titans (1981), and for such a long time, I’ve wanted to create a story that was inspired by it. I don’t want to ruin how exactly, but, in Quest, Anya goes on an arduous journey into a deadly land of demons to save Devyan," said Luna. "And making this fantasy world inspired by the mythologies, landscapes, and architectures of Southeast Asia is what solidified my moving forward with this concept. It was the final main ingredient to the recipe that’s been marinating in my brain for decades. I’m super happy to have found Crystal to create this horror-filled, yet beautifully romantic epic with. I hope that Quest will be a series that readers will enjoy and love!"

Wood added: "My favorite thing about Quest is how deliciously horrifying and twisted the creatures in the story are. It’s the kind of comic I always dreamed of creating as a kid. But the immersive imagery, the fast paced energy, and badass monsters are just perks. The love for these characters is what will pull readers into the Demon Lands with us. The heart of it has always been about perseverance and true love. When I got onboard, I had no idea how epic this story would become, and Jonathan’s artwork and storytelling take it to another level. Quest speaks to the struggle between what’s logical and what feels right in your heart. This project is something truly unique and that’s exceedingly rare these days. I can’t wait to show everyone how it ends."

• I generally like Luna's stories, even if the art is a bit static.
  • Here's a preview.

THE SACRIFICERS #1

11130044501?profile=RESIZE_710xStory: Rick Remender | Art/Cover: Dave McCaig & Max Fiumara | Variants: Max Fiumara, Julian Totino Tedesco, Tula Lotay, Jenny Frison, Matteo Scalera, J.G. Jones, Nic Klein, J.H. Williams III, Mike Mignola  | 40 pages | Teen+ | $3.99

The New York Times bestselling writer Rick Remender (Deadly Class, LOW) joins forces with superstar artist Max Fiumara (Amazing Spider-Man, Lucifer) to take readers to the ethereal, science fiction world of The Sacrificers. This all-new, ongoing series was teased to fans with a special Free Comic Book Day edition.

This epic new story joins Remender’s vast body of beloved creator-owned work with top-tier artists under the Giant Generator imprint at Image. In this tradition, the debut issue of The Sacrificers will feature eye-melting variant covers by artists Julian Totino Tedesco, Tula Lotay, Jenny Frison, Matteo Scalera, J.G. Jones, Nic Klein, J.H. Williams III and Mike Mignola alongside series artist Fiumara.

“Max has long been one of my very favorite artists," said Remender. "We worked together briefly on a Spider-Man story years ago and he’s always been at the top of my list of artists to reunite with. I think what we’ve developed here is one of the most beautiful and unique stories in the marketplace, in no small part due to Max and color master Dave McCaig’s next level world creating. It is truly unlike anything I’ve ever seen before.”

Fiumara added: "The Sacrificers is the book I’ve always dreamed of working on. The pitch completely hooked me with its combination of emotional human dilemmas, exciting worlds, and eccentric characters. I’m having a blast designing it. The collaboration with Rick has been terrific, his way of thinking of story is amazingly simple and effective. He creates strong scenes that I manifest, we complement each other quite well, and Dave is doing such beautiful work with colors."

In The Sacrificers, tomorrow is a harmonious paradise thanks to five families who make everything perfect … for the price of one child per household. Now, as that bill comes due, a son expected to give everything for a family that never loved him and an affluent daughter determined to destroy utopia who must now unite to end one generation’s unnaturally protracted reign.

• Uh oh. I'm pretty sure I know who my family would have sacrificed.
  • Here's a preview.

11130044693?profile=RESIZE_710x11130045071?profile=RESIZE_710x11130045259?profile=RESIZE_710x11130045464?profile=RESIZE_710x11130045099?profile=RESIZE_710x11130045669?profile=RESIZE_710x11130045690?profile=RESIZE_710x11130046067?profile=RESIZE_180x180

DARK HORSE COMICS

HELLBOY & BPRD 1957: FROM BELOW (ONE-SHOT)

12161833083?profile=RESIZE_400xStory: Chris Roberson, Mike Mignola | Art: Mike Norton | Cover: Laurence Campbell | $3.99

Hellboy, Professor Bruttenholm, and B.P.R.D. agent Archie Muraro investigate an abandoned sawmill that is rumored to be haunted. But when they get there, an unexpected discovery reveals an even stranger source for the rumors! Hellboy creator Mike Mignola and longtime collaborator Chris Roberson team up with artist Mike Norton and colorist Dave Stewart for a new story of strange doings.

• There sure are a lot of these! I'm still waiting for my HC or Library edition, Dark Horse.

THE LOST FOUNTAINS GN

10933391474?profile=RESIZE_710xStory: José Antonio Cotrina | Adapted by: Alfredo Álamo  | Art: Juan Bobillo | Translations: Jesús Pece, Gabriella Campbell | Dark Horse | 104 pages | $19.99

Delano Grey survives the best he can, living halfway between two worlds. He earns his living as an adventurer for hire, accepting any assignment, no matter the risk, as long as the pay is good. But he is not who he appears to be. His past as a tortured prisoner has turned him into a lost and weakened man, struggling to find the courage to seek vengeance. His journey begins with the search for the Lost Fountains, a place of legend, said to harness great power — where wishes, no matter the intent, are fulfilled. Enter a world of fallen gods, deadly magic and monsters, and reveal the true darkness that lies beyond and within

Praise for José Antonio Cotrina’s The Lost Fountains:

The Lost Fountains is written by a genius of fantasy literature, who either has been blessed with a gift for writing, or has a lot of hours of work under his belt ... or maybe both.”  — Eduardo Norte

“Cotrina, with an absolutely immersive experience, structures the novel as if it was a road movie, a journey of the classic quest, in which the protagonists will have to face the most diverse dangers.” — Santiago García Soláns

“Cotrina makes the reader glimpse over the abyss and then pushes him to his perdition.” — Ana Katzen

“Cotrina stands out for his overflowing imagination, which in this case is control-led and focused on the creation of a fascinating universe.” — Antonio Díaz

“Full of surprises from the very first page, and totally designed for your mind to take a journey as you have never taken before.” — Yon Sin Miedo

• This is a graphic adaptation of a Spanish novel. This author's other work is Young Adult, but this Comic Beat article doesn't say whether or not this is YA too.
  • Here's a preview.

PRISM STALKER: THE WEEPING STAR TP

12161839669?profile=RESIZE_400xStory/Art: Sloane Leong | Dark Horse | 160 pages | Mature | $24.99

Dark Horse Books and Sloane Leong (Prism Stalker, A Map to the Sun) are teaming up to bring you Prism Stalker: The Weeping Star. Leong returns to the world of Eriatarka to bring you an all-new story featuring the character Vep in this follow-up to the hit series.

The planet Eriatarka grows more inhospitable as its colonization at the hands of the Chorus continues. Vep and her fellow students are reaching the end of their basic combat training in the pneumatic arts and begin to exercise their abilities outside the colony-city of Elefstris. Their objective: subdue the unruly planet bent on scouring the Chorus’ presence from its surface. But what exactly are they subjugating? And what will the cost of conquering be?

Praise for Prism Stalker Vol 1:

"Prism Stalker unfolds slowly and carefully like a delicate piece of paper, but here, the paper is not of any ordinary design; instead, this work by writer and artist Sloane Leong is a remarkable piece of origami where every facet is a different shade, every fold some intrepid experiment in color." — The Oregonian

“Sloane Leong speaks with one of the most exciting and fresh new voices in comics. Prism Stalker is a bold declaration.” — Matt Fraction

“Leong’s art is stunning, the rough linework and vibrant palette breathing emotion into every panel; Prism Stalker is powerfully atmospheric, creating a rich backdrop for Vep’s personal journey to find her place in a world that wants her to forget what little she knows about herself.” — Paste Magazine

• I didn't read the first one of these, so I have no advice.
  • Here's a preview.

IDW PUBLISHING

THE BEAUTY OF HORROR: TAROT COLORING BOOK TP

10898353865?profile=RESIZE_710xStory/Art: Alan Robert | 80 pages | B&W | $16.99 

Alan Robert’s painstakingly illustrated tarot deck presents 78 cards from the major and minor arcana, ready for you to color! Ghouliana and her undead pals guide you through a truly sinister tarot experience filled with demons, werewolves, vampires, ancient spirits, and much, much more. Originally published as a card set, these detailed illustrations are appearing in book form for the first time in The Beauty of Horror: Tarot. Each design is accompanied by a thoughtful, in-depth explanation of the card’s meaning to help guide you through the mystery of the tarot. Channel your creativity and choose your own destiny by bringing these terrifying depictions to life with your custom palette.  A must-have for horror fans! 

With the exciting new Beauty of Horror developments outlined above, now’s the perfect time to experience what GQ calls “an extraordinary collection of deeply unsettling images,” and The Wall Street Journal calls “scary fun!”

• I loved coloring books as a kid. I would have loved these even more!

10898353691?profile=RESIZE_710x

STAR TREK: DEFIANT #6

• "Day of Blood" Part Two

MORE PUBLISHERS

BOOM

BUFFY LAST VAMPIRE SLAYER (2023) #1 (OF 5)

12160679278?profile=RESIZE_400xStory: Casey Gilly | Art: Oriol Roig | Cover: Ario Anindito | BOOM | $4.99

Thess is all grown up, having taken up the mantle as the new Slayer! But with new responsibilities comes new enemies, and a mysterious clan will do anything to get to her, even if it means using her friends as bait. Fans won't want to miss this brand new miniseries from veteran Buffy scribe Casey Gilly, set after the events of Buffy The Last Vampire Slayer Special #1!

• The cover says "Buffy" but the description says "Thess." 
  • Here's more.

DYNAMITE

FIRE AND ICE

12143815287?profile=RESIZE_400x

Story: Bill Willingham | Art: Leonardo Manco | Covers: Bill Sienkiewicz, Leonardo Manco, Frank Frazetta | Teen+ | $3.99

A FANTASY CLASSIC RETURNS TO LIFE WITH AN ALL-NEW PREQUEL SERIES!

More than four decades ago, two iconic creators came together to bring to the silver screen an amazing new world of magic and adventure. In their classic animated film Fire and Ice, legendary artist FRANK FRAZETTA and famed director RALPH BAKSHI crafted a unique vision of beauty and danger, of good versus evil, all cast against a hypnotic backdrop of savage prehistoric splendor. Now, at long last, this timeless vision is expanding into comics with the first new story to revisit Frazetta and Bakshi's remarkable realm since 1982!

Before the fire waned and the ice spread across the world...before Teegra met Larn ... before everything you know about the unforgettable animated movie came to be, there were the before times — times when evil might still be blunted, times when innocence was not yet lost. In Fire and Ice #1, acclaimed comics writer BILL WILLINGHAM (Fables, Legenderry) joins forces with artist LEONARDO MANCO (Hellstorm: Prince of Lies, Blaze of Glory) — making his triumphant return to comics — and a new legend is about to be born!

• I saw Wizards back in the day, but somehow Fire and Ice slipped right by me.
  • It's not the world's most original concept, but Willingham and Manco is a pretty good combination.
  • Here's a trailer.
  • Here's a trailer to the 1983 movie.

12143815483?profile=RESIZE_710x12143816054?profile=RESIZE_710x12143815889?profile=RESIZE_710x12143816259?profile=RESIZE_710x12143816086?profile=RESIZE_180x18012144179063?profile=RESIZE_710x12144179074?profile=RESIZE_710x12144179088?profile=RESIZE_710x12144179458?profile=RESIZE_180x180

TITAN COMICS

BRANDON SANDERSON: WHITE SAND OMNIBUS HC

• Collects all three volumes.

CONAN THE BARBARIAN #1

11107189290?profile=RESIZE_400x

12164216499?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story: Jim Zub | Art: Roberto De La Torre | Colorist: José Villarrubia | Covers: Dan Panosian, Roberto De La Torre, Artgerm, Patch Zircher, Mike Mignola, E.M. Gist | Publishers: Heroic Signatures & Titan Comics, 32 pages | $3.99

ROBERT E. HOWARD'S LEGENDARY CONAN IS BACK IN A NEW TALE OF BRAVERY AND HEROISM! CONAN THE BARBARIAN FCBD EDITION LEADS INTO THE DEBUT ISSUE!

Years after the battle of Venarium, a weary CONAN returns to his homeland to seek rest and solitude. However, a mysterious scout rides in to warn the Cimmerians of an imminent threat on the march from the Pictish wilderness. Will CONAN and his new ally be able to hold off this new horde of invaders?

• This book is setting sales records, and is already scheduled for a second printing, along with a revival of Savage Sword of Conan. I don't remember Dark Horse's Conan making this big a splash, despite featuring Kurt Busiek and Cary Nord. (Who were awesome.)
  • I'm not usually a fan of pastiche artists, but this Roberto Se La Torre guy does an amazing John Buscema impersonation.
  • Note the Conan the Barbarian #1 and Conan the Barbarian movie poster homages among the cover variants. 
  • Here's a trailer.

11036200291?profile=RESIZE_180x18011036200478?profile=RESIZE_710x11036200870?profile=RESIZE_710x11036200690?profile=RESIZE_710x11036200891?profile=RESIZE_400x11036201458?profile=RESIZE_710x11036201100?profile=RESIZE_710x11036201480?profile=RESIZE_180x18012163776086?profile=RESIZE_180x180

12163776896?profile=RESIZE_180x18012163777085?profile=RESIZE_180x18012163777262?profile=RESIZE_180x18012163777270?profile=RESIZE_180x18012163777460?profile=RESIZE_180x18012163777660?profile=RESIZE_400x12163777489?profile=RESIZE_180x180

DEAD BY DAYLIGHT #2 (OF4)

ROBOTECH: RICK HUNTER #1 (OF 4)

11117282468?profile=RESIZE_710xWriter: Brandon Easton | Artist: Simone Ragazzoni | Covers: Inhyuk Lee, Derrick Chew, Simone Ragazzoni, Josh Burcham, Nahuel Grego | Publisher: Titan Comics | $3.99

Robotech, the classic '80s anime TV series — currently airing on Crunchyroll — expands into a new comic series this summer from Transformers and Kamen Rider Zero-One writer Brandon Easton, and Power Rangers artist Simone Ragazzoni. 

Robotech is a sci-fi anime series which first aired on television in the USA in 1985. Produced by Harmony Gold USA, the 85-episode series hooked viewers' imagination with its epic storylines involving war, romance and the transforming Veritech fighters that defend the Earth against extraterrestrial attacks.

Set after the devastating events of the Macross saga, ROBOTECH: RICK HUNTER will see Rick Hunter face an all new threat, along with the ghosts of his past — when a Zentraedi splinter group attacks Yokohama, Rick is called to investigate! Piloting the new prototype YF-4 Veritech, Rick encounters old friends and new enemies, all while recounting the moments of his life that shaped most epic moments in the Robotech universe!

The debut issue will feature a host of stunning cover artists including Inhyuk Lee, Derrick Chew, Simone Ragazzoni, Josh Burcham and Nahuel Grego.

“Working on the new series has been so exciting as we’ve managed to bring together a team of Robotech superfans to tell an all new story, as well as flashing back to the Macross Saga to provide fans with exciting, never before seen moments!” said Titan Comics editor Calum Collins. “Our writer Brandon Easton and artist Simone Ragazzoni both have a deep reverence for Robotech and are bringing their A-game with an explosive plot, deep emotional scenes, and gorgeous artwork — in short, Robotech fans are in for a real treat with Robotech: Rick Hunter!

This is the latest addition in Titan’s critically-acclaimed Robotech comics line, which includes Robotech Volumes 1-5, Robotech Event Horizon, Robotech Remix and Robotech Archives collections: The Macross Saga, The Sentinels and The Masters.

• Not my thing, but maybe it's yours.

11117282668?profile=RESIZE_710x11117283054?profile=RESIZE_710x11117283073?profile=RESIZE_710x11117282892?profile=RESIZE_710x11117283256?profile=RESIZE_710x12164224877?profile=RESIZE_180x18012164224499?profile=RESIZE_180x18012164225070?profile=RESIZE_180x18012164225082?profile=RESIZE_400x11117283662?profile=RESIZE_400x11117283293?profile=RESIZE_180x18011117283478?profile=RESIZE_710x

MORE COMICS

10000 DISASTERS OF DORT TP 

• You can tell this is an English comic book, because the hero's name (during an alien invasion) is Mike Dauntless.

CLASH OF THE GUARDS TP 

• You can tell this is an English comic book, because the hero's name (during the WWII invasion of Italy) is Brad Clash.

FEARLESS DAWN: COLD #1 (ONE-SHOT)

10971107690?profile=RESIZE_400x10971107867?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story/Art: Steve Mannion | Asylum Press | $4.99

Asylum Press announces the release of Fearless Dawn: COLD; another wild and crazy chapter in the life of Steve Mannion’s signature character.

Fearless Dawn Can be pre-ordered at your local comics shop. The Deadline to pre-order is Feb., 18th.

After the Battle of Alamo Prison (FD Chibi Finale), Fearless Dawn finds herself in a cold and desperate land. Events literally and figuratively go sideways in this latest installment of Fearless Dawn ... and you should see what happens to One Eyed Hans! Fans of Dave Stevens, Betty Page, The Goon, and Good Girl/Bad Girl comics will love this book! Written and drawn in "landscape" format by artist and creator Steve Mannion. All told in glorious Black and White!

• I love, love, love the art, but Mannion's stories are a bit silly.
  • Here's a preview.

GOOD NEIGHBORS TRILOGY GN

12161900496?profile=RESIZE_400xStory: Holly Black | Art/Cover: Ted Naifeh | Graphix | $14.99

From the amazing imagination of bestselling author Holly Black and acclaimed illustrator Ted Naifeh, a mysterious and wonderful faerie saga, for the first time in one volume. Rue Silver's mother has disappeared ... and her father has been arrested, suspected of killing her. But it's not as straightforward as that. Because Rue is a faerie, like her mother was. And her father didn't kill her mother — instead, he broke a promise to Rue's faerie king grandfather, which caused Rue's mother to be flung back to the faerie world. Now Rue must go to save her — and defeat a dark faerie that threatens our very mortal world.

• I sure hope somebody remembers to get Dad out of jail.

I NEVER FOUND YOU GN

12161902059?profile=RESIZE_400xStory/Art: Emma Jon-Michael Frank | Floating World Comics | $19.95

In I Never Found You, a queer birdwatcher finds something macabre and grisly in the woods entering him into a strange and desperate world. Part murder mystery, and part mystery of the self, I Never Found You is a story about belonging and love, in a world made increasingly hostile by dark human influence.

• I would love to see the pitch meeting for this.
  • "So, my book stars a queer birdwatcher ..."
  • "Is he a superhero?"
  • "No, he's a queer birdwatcher."
  • Could he be a superhero? 'Birdmaster!'"
  • "No, he's a queer birdwatcher."
  • "Could he be a lesbian birdwatcher? In a skimpy outfit."
  • "No, he's a male, queer birdwatcher. In, in a suit."
  • "But he's a cop. A queer cop who has to deal with prejudice, while investigating a strange murder in the birdwatching park."
  • "No, he's not a cop."
  • "But he does talk to the birds."
  • "No, he's a birdwatcher.
  • "I don't understand."

JOURNEY TO LUPAN GN

• This may be Young Adult. It's part of the "Mythology Class" series, which seems very Young Adult-y to me, but nobody is saying it is.

LITTLE RED FISH GN

12161906096?profile=RESIZE_400xStory: James Moffitt | Art: Bizhan Khodabandeh | Rosarium Publishing | $19.95

An exquisite reimagining of the Iranian Revolution like you've never seen before.

An aquatic reef held down by an oppressive regime of blood-thirsty heron struggles to rise up in this harrowing tale of self-discovery, heritage, and revolution. The Little Red Fish retraces the events of the Iranian Revolution portraying events from the perspective of those actually involved. Part historical text, part guerilla warfare, all political allegory, The Little Red Fish vividly captures an often overlooked part of history. Oh, and there's that magical orb thing...

• So it's like Animal Farm, only Iran instead of Russia. And fish instead of farm animals. And religious fanaticism instead of poltical tyranny.
  • Maybe it's not like Animal Farm.

MARVEL COMICS LIBRARY VOL 4: X-MEN VOL 1 1963-1966

• This is the fourth oversized Taschen book celebrating early Marvel Comics, and yes, I will be getting it.

PARKER GIRLS #9

• Heads up, Terry Moore fans!

PROJECT RIESE #1 (OF 6)

12161908878?profile=RESIZE_400xStory: Zac Thompson | Art/Cover: Jeff McComsey | Mad Cave Studios | $4.99

It's 1952. The wound WWII inflicted on the world is still fresh. Sam Safdie and his ragtag group of treasure hunters have been searching for the fabled map of the Owl Mountains for years...and they finally found it. Their journey leads them to a massive war complex that hides both unknown horrors and a fortune in gold. However, the deeper they travel, the more they realize the complex has developed a life of its own and that some secrets are better left buried in the past.

Project Riese is an action-packed adventure/sci-fi tale perfect for fans of Uncharted, Overlord and The Keep.

• "Perfect for fans of Uncharted, Overlord and The Keep." Sounds like it might have a little Sgt. Fury and Indiana Jones in its DNA, too.
  • Here's a preview.

RANGER STRANGER SUMMER SPECIAL #1 

12161910256?profile=RESIZE_400xStory: Matt Battaglia | Art/Cover: Tyler Jensen | Scout | $5.99

It's summer! Another hot, scorching, fireball of fun. At least the bluegill are biting. And the ticks. And the African hornets! And the slithering, bloodthirsty rattlesn — where were we? Oh right, summer. Fear not, because your favorite deranged wilderness guide, Ranger Garland Woodburn, has cooked up a real humdinger of a Summer Special full of camping tips, water safety and other questionable gems of nature knowledge to learn and enjoy while the world burns all around.

• Do I want to know what's going on here?

SINS OF THE SALTON SEA #3 (OF 5)

12163829474?profile=RESIZE_400xWriter: Ed Brisson | Artist: C.P. Smith | Letterer: Hassan Otsmane-Elhaou | Cover: Tim Bradstreet | Variants: Shawn Martinbrough, Chris Ferguson | AWA | Mature | $3.99

The story of what drove ex-criminal Wyatt into retirement — a heist that went pear-shaped, resulting in his family’s death — comes into focus as the ex-con finds himself on the run from a deadly cult called the Sons of the Salton Sea. Intent on recapturing Silver, a young boy with a mysterious connection to the cult, Wyatt’s brother learns why they’re obsessed with the kid when he discovers the cult leader is actually Silver’s father.

“A hell of a twisty crime caper." — Gerry Duggan (X-Men, Deadpool)

"A high-octane crime story that ups the ante with every issue." — Chris Condon (That Texas Blood)

"A crime story unlike any you've ever read. It grabs you by the throat and never lets go. I f**king love this book." — Matthew Rosenberg (X-Men, DC vs Vampires)

12163829496?profile=RESIZE_180x18012163829864?profile=RESIZE_180x18012163829888?profile=RESIZE_180x180

12163830068?profile=RESIZE_180x18012163830089?profile=RESIZE_180x18012163830858?profile=RESIZE_180x18012163830880?profile=RESIZE_180x18012163830896?profile=RESIZE_180x180

SOGGY LANDING GN

12161828668?profile=RESIZE_400xStory: Alec McGovern | Art/Cover: Ian Densford | $19.99

Not very long ago, Soggy Landing was an island paradise. Now, it’s a brutal settler city. A group of wealthy, magical cultists rules from the top. A leafy plague afflicts all but the most privileged, and it never stops raining. Our hero, Otso, is a self-sufficient stoner wizard bear who comes to understand community and camaraderie when she arrives in Soggy Landing. A battle between the haves and the have-nots is coming to a head, and Otso and her friend Slipper join the revolutionary group the Broken Wheel in an uprising against colonial forces controlling the magical island. The world of Soggy Landing is a densely populated island town filled with many interconnected communities sharing a rich, deep, creamy mythology. There’s mystery, danger, politics and conflict, but also wonder, whimsy and sex. It combines historical fiction with magical fantasy to explore a post-global war community pitted against robber barons and diabolical cults.

• This looks interesting. At first I thought it might be for kids, but then I hit the word "sex" in the description. Anthopomorphic animal sex, probably, but sex just the same.

THE ANTAGONISTS #1

12161911896?profile=RESIZE_400xStory: Tyler F Martin | Art/Cover: Giacomo Guida | $4.99

Married supervillains Destructus and Ultima struggle to protect their family and keep their past a secret decades after retirement but with the world still after them, the Eval family must band together in order to survive.

• Why is there a giant portrait of Malcolm X?

WEREWOLF JONES & SONS DELUXE SUMMER FUN ANNUAL HC

11026317292?profile=RESIZE_400xSimon Hanselmann, Josh Pettinger | Fantagraphics | $19.99

In the tradition of the once ubiquitous British hardback annuals comes the Werewolf Jones & Sons Deluxe Summer Fun Annual! One Hundred fun-filled seasonal pages of spoofs and goofs for the whole family to enjoy (no minors allowed)!

Werewolf Jones, drugged up to his eyeballs, believes he is the world's greatest father, which is the most far-from-the-truth, deluded thought ever thought by any thinker. Parents can learn a lot about what NOT to do as a guardian by observing as Werewolf Jones deals with bullying, his own inebriation and sex addiction, his children's blossoming sexuality, running out of alcohol in a recession, and coping with the kids when he “wasn't meant to be responsible for the little fuckers tonight.”

Featuring fun appearances by beloved friends of the family such as Megg, Mogg, and Owl, not to mention Dracula Jr. and Tim the drug dealing spider. The WWJ&Sons DSFA will surely leave you confused, angry, upset, heavily triggered and wishing you could call Child Protective Services on a fictional werewolf!

Put together with lots of love by Simon Hanselmann and rising underground star and franchise newcomer, Josh Pettinger (Goiter, Power Wash). Pettinger has been diligently screened with a full state police check and is a staunch British monarchist, fully qualified for such a throwback, Britannia-flavored project. Get ready for one of the hottest summers on record (not merely due to rising climate-based anomalies)!

Werewolf Jones & Sons Deluxe Summer Fun Annual is part of the Megg, Mogg, & Owl series.

• I always enjoy a good Bad Parenting story.
  • Here's a preview.

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I'll be buying one of these. 

• Secret Robotech fan, eh?

• Regarding Magneto, he is currently dead and has essentially made people swear not to ressurrect him.  It happened in the current X-Men Red book shortly before he died during the AXE crossover with the Eternals.

In that sense, this Magneto miniseries is not a sequel to Fall of X.  Like several other recent Marvel miniseries, it is instead a continuity implant by a writer from back in the day.  DeMatteis wasn't writing the X-Men or Magneto at the time to the best of my memory, but he likes to write redemption stories with a mystical bent,  I will be very surprised if he doesn't give Magneto some sort of mystical epiphany before the series is concluded.

• "Bobby Drake is a case in point: He was basically comedy relief, and mostly useless... I still don't find him interesting."

When Iceman's first mini-series came out in 1984, I gave it a pass. A decade later I bought all four issues at a quarter sale for a buck... and I still haven't read them.

42937201152.1.gif

"I'll be buying one of these. "

I ended up buying four.

• What were the four?

• The one I noticed was Parker Girls #9.

I saw Justice Society of America #5 but simply faile to jot it down.

Warlock: Rebirth #5 is not on the list above (although it is on the "complete list" posted elsewhere).

Hey Kids! Comics v3 #5 is also not on the list, but it was waiting for me in my pull & hold.

I'm now in the process of adding them to the "What Comics Have You Read Today?" thread.

• Since 3.0 makes you write replies in the window beneath the main post, I realized that having Comics Guide broken into a post and a reply, as often happens in the summer, was really clumsy. So I decided to try something new, and have a "full list" on Wednesdays, and "Comics Guide" (with just the stuff I'm talking about) on Fridays. If that is worse for everyone, I'll switch back. 

In fact the Full List for Aug. 8-9 is already posted. 

• FEEDBACK: I like having the full list posted separately because I sometimes miss things amid the covers and sales pitches and comments. Plus, I'll bet posting a "clean" list is a lot less labor intensive. I, personally, don't need it this early, though. The Monday before the Wednesday ship date would be ideal. 

• Unless anyone objects, Monday it is. Here's this week's, BTW, because I still can't get the various fora to list things the way we want them to. 

This Week's Comics: Full list, Aug. 7-13, 2023

• "I still can't get the various fora to list things the way we want them to."

Thanks for the update. I'll stop bugging you about it.

This reply was deleted.