Comics Guide: Sept. 12-18, 2022

DARK HORSE COMICS

THE ART OF DEATHLOOP

Dark Horse | $49.99

Dark Horse Books takes readers to the mysterious island of Blackreef in The Art of DEATHLOOP™, a full-color oversized hardcover exploring the creation of Arkane Lyon and Bethesda Softworks’ groundbreaking first-person shooter, DEATHLOOP.

The winner of Best Art Direction at The Game Awards 2021, DEATHLOOP is the latest critically-acclaimed title from the creators of Dishonored®. The Art of DEATHLOOP brings the mysterious island of Blackreef to life through never-before-seen concept art. Readers will get up close and personal with all the equipment, adversaries, and locations that assassin Colt will encounter while hunting his targets, breaking the island’s timeloop, and evading the deadly rival assassin, Julianna!

“Arkane Lyon's follow-up to Dishonored is a master class in open-ended action game design.” — GameSpot

ASSASSIN'S CREED: VALHALLA — FORGOTTEN MYTHS HC

BIRDKING VOL 1: ESCAPE FROM FEATHER HILL

From the creators of the hit graphic novel Raiders, Daniel Freedman and CROM, comes an original dark fantasy graphic novel of epic adventure and magic in Birdking Volume 1, from Dark Horse Comics.     

Bianca, teenage apprentice to an infamous arcane blacksmith, is forced to flee her homeland and seek out Atlas, a fabled land of light ruled by “the clean god.” She is joined by a mysterious guardian spirit known only as the “BirdKing”. Together they will have to overcome dozens of enemies to reach Atlas and along the way, unravel the mystery of the BirdKing and their ancestral connection.

“Birdking has been living in my head for years, invading my thoughts and waiting for the right story that would bring him to life in the only way a wraith of his caliber deserves. Fire, magic, undead champions, necromancers, skulls and fat swords, this book has it all. I can’t imagine a better playground to lark about in. I’m loving it.” — CROM

“When CROM came to me after Raiders with the Birdking, the entire epic unfolded in such an organic way I did not believe it. Our collaboration has never been stronger and while we have thoroughly enjoyed our time exploring this vast and distinct fantasy world, we cannot wait for readers to gain access and bask in the glory that is Birdking.” — Daniel Freedman

Birdking Volume 1 will retail for $19.99.

• Why would you worship a statue whose head is a skull? It certainly didn't do the previous owner any good.
  • Here's a preview.

BLACK HAMMER OMNIBUS VOL 1 TP

BPRD OMNIBUS VOL 1 TP

CASTLE FULL OF BLACKBIRDS #1 (OF 4)

Story: Mike Mignola, Angela Slatter | Art: Valeria Burzo | Cover: Wylie Beckert | $3.99

This September, legendary Hellboy creator Mike Mignola and acclaimed artist Valeria Burzo will be joined by award-winning novelist Angela Slatter for Castle Full of Blackbirds, an all-new miniseries from Dark Horse Comics. The four-issue miniseries will mark Slatter’s comic-book writing debut. Mignola, Slatter, and Burzo will be joined by colorist Michelle Madsen, letterer Clem Robins, and cover artist Wylie Beckert. Vanesa Del Rey will provide a variant cover for issue #1.

Castle Full of Blackbirds continues the story of Sara May Blackburn, the fan-favorite character from Hellboy and the B.P.R.D.: The Return of Effie Kolb. When Sara May headed for New York after the events of The Return of Effie Kolb, she had one goal in mind: find the mysterious Miss Brook at the Linton School for Girls, and ask her what she knows about the mysterious powers that have plagued Sara May her whole life. But as is often the case with these things, the answers are not as simple as all that. Sara May is in for an education in more than just reading, writing and ’rithmetic at the Linton School.

“I’m thrilled to have Angela writing this series and, honestly, right now I have no idea how that came about,” said Mike Mignola. “She is one of the small handful of fantasy writers I really love reading these days, and we were lucky enough to get her to write a short story for the last Hellboy prose collection, Hellboy: An Assortment of Horrors. After that we somehow got to emailing, and that led to this. About halfway through writing The Return of Effie Kolb I knew our little witch girl was going to want her own series. I had an idea how something like that was going to start, but really had no idea where it might go. I DID know that as it was a book about a young girl, I wanted a female perspective. Someone who would bring something new to the Hellboy world while still playing with the history and mythology we’ve created for the place. Angela was the first (and I think only) name that sprang to mind. Fortunately she said yes, and here we are. I love what she’s done and can’t wait to see where this will go. My hope is that this is just the beginning.”

Angela Slatter has won a World Fantasy Award, a British Fantasy Award, a Ditmar, two Australian Shadows Award, and seven Aurealis Awards for her short stories. Slatter’s latest novel, the highly anticipated The Path of Thorns, will be published later this month by Titan Books. “If I could go back and tell Past Me that I’d be writing a story set in Mike Mignola’s Hellboy Universe? I’m pretty sure Past Me would tell Future Me to GTFO,” said Slatter. “I’ve had an absolute blast writing Sara May Blackburn, Miss Brook and the Linton School for Girls (who are all witches, let’s be honest).”

EC ARCHIVES: SHOCK SUSPENSTORIES VOL 2 TP

GIANTS VOL 2: GHOSTS OF WINTER TP

Carlos Perez Valderrama and Miguel Valderrama continue their hit, modern-day kaiju story in Giants Volume 2: Ghosts of Winter! Combining stunning, evocative art with a story that breathes new life into the post-apocalypse genre this next installment is equal parts action and heart.

After the loss of their leader — and father figure — the apocalyptic found family The Forsaken are divided on what to do next. As they attempt to build a new place to call home, their efforts are quickly cut short when a fight among monsters forces them to move farther beyond the limits of the unknown — and with the way back blocked — they're faced with more change as they encounter a group of monster hunters. When they learn that killing monsters has unintended consequences, tensions rise, loyalties are tested, and new beasts enter the fray! In a world ruled by giant monsters, with hope lost in memories of the past, the choice to run, hide, or fight becomes more than a question of survival.

Retails for $19.99.

Praise for Giants Volume 1:

"This is a story with big ambitions made by two fiercely talented creators" — Multiversity Comics

"The characters are interesting, the world is engrossing, and the art is fantastic." — Bleeding Cool

“This series is definitely worth a look for the curious.” — IGN

“This first American work from the Valderrama Bros. feels special. The year is coming to a close, but Giants may sneak in under the wire as one of the great launches of 2017.” — Paste Magazine

“I seriously went through this issue 8 times trying to find something I didn’t like and couldn’t find it. Its just a solid issue that gave me more than I was expecting. Out of 5 stars, I give it a 5.” — Geekery Magazine

“The art is really lovely, the colors are crisp, and it’s a beautiful book to look at.  They do a great job, when needed, of stopping the action to focus on the emotions of their characters’ faces. The adventure elements are super fun, Gogi and Zedo are great characters, and young adults especially will love this first issue.” — Fanbase Press

“The story has potential to be great, and I look forward to seeing what the talented Valderrama brothers bring to the table in this new comic series. The premise is one that has been seen many times, but with an exciting new twist.” — Shoot The Breeze Comics

GOLDFISH TP

IYANU: CHILD OF WONDER VOL 2 TP

LOVE AND WAR TP

Story: Andrew Wheeler | Art/Cover: Killian Ng | $19.99

Finding yourself torn between two potential boyfriends is tough. Domo is learning that it's even tougher when you're trying to win the captaincy of your school's tug-of-war team! His competition is Jocasta, a serious athlete who will stop at nothing to prove she's the best. Can Domo lead his team to victory while he struggles with his feelings for ambitious Gabriel and flamboyant Emil?

Love-and-War is a queer sports rom com about how our conflicting passions can pull us in different directions!

Collects Love and War from the Comixology original digital series in print for the first time.

MADMAN LIBRARY ED VOL 3 HC

MASKERADE #1 (OF 4)

Story: Kevin Smith, Andy McElfresh | Art/Cover: John Sprengelmeyer | $3.99

Felicia Dance is hiding in plain sight. The provocative social media star and shock TV sensation has one of the most recognizable faces in the world-so she can't capture and kill the butchers who murdered her little brother and experimented on Felicia like a lab rat when she was a child. Not unless she looks like someone else. The face of justice is reshaped forever in Maskerade-an exciting new vigilante comic series from writers Kevin Smith and Andy McElfresh and artist John Sprengelmeyer, marking the dynamic debut of Smith's Secret Stash Press imprint with his very own vigilante!

An all new sci-fi crime drama from writer and filmmaker Kevin Smith and screenwriter Andy McElfresh!

OVERWATCH NEW BLOOD #3 (OF 5)

PLANTS VS. ZOMBIES: ZOMNIBUS VOL 2 HC

POWERS VOL 1 TP

SWORD OF HYPERBOREA HC

VIRTUALLY YOURS TP

THE WITCHER LIBRARY EDITION VOL. 2 HC

Story: Bartosz Szybor, Aleksandra Motyka | Art: Marianna Strychowska, Amad Mir, Vanesa R. Del Rey, Nil Vendrell | Colors: Lauren Affe, Hamidreza Sheykh, Jordie Bellaire, Miquel Muerto | Letters: Steve Dutro, Aditya Bidikar, Hassan Otsmane-Elhaou | Cover: Evan Cagle | $49.99

Geralt is summoned by an old acquaintance to help solve a mystery involving his daughter. Upon investigating, Geralt is surprised to find Dandelion, and the duo unexpectedly find themselves transported to regions beyond. Next, Geralt receives a request from the mayoress of Badreine, a small town where an unusual pack of foglets attacks children ... but something feels off about this new threat. Then, flames rise as a witch is burned at the stake. Nightmares plague Geralt's sight as he sees the burned witch appear before him — bringing an ominous warning. And in a bonus story, a young nekker takes an unpredictable journey through the woods.

At more than 300 pages, the second volume of The Witcher Library Edition chronicles Geralt’s wayward path in three standalone stories — from reunions with familiar faces to clashes with cunning new foes.

This oversized edition collects The Witcher: Of Flesh and Flame #1-4, The Witcher: Fading Memories #1-4, The Witcher: Witch’s Lament #1-4, and the Free Comic Book Day 2021 short story “The Witcher: Once Upon a Time in the Woods,” and features a cover gallery, expanded sketchbook section and more!

DC COMICS

BATGIRLS #10

Story: Becky Cloonan, Michael W. Conrad  | Art: Neil Googe | Cover: Jorge Corona | $3.99

Steph has a ... date? With an actual boy? Well, this calls for a celebration … or a trip to the zoo! The Batgirls and Steph's dreamy love interest are in for a day of monkey business, but all that monkeying around ends when they've got henchmen on their tails! Meanwhile, Babs is one step closer to tracking down the Hill Ripper — too bad all it took was yet another homicide.

• More Batgirl-shenanigans! Bat-nanigans? Shenanigirls?

BATMAN: BLACK & WHITE TP

BATMAN DAY 2022: BATMAN HUSH #1 SPECIAL EDITION

BATMAN DAY 2022: BATMAN'S MYSTERY CASEBOOK SPECIAL EDITION #1

BATMAN DETECTIVE COMICS (2021) VOL 3: ARKHAM RISING HC

BATMAN: ONE DARK KNIGHT HC

• Can anyone recommend this?

BATMAN: URBAN LEGENDS #19

BATMAN VS. ROBIN #1 (OF 5)

Story: Mark Waid | Art/Cover: Mahmud Asrar | $5.99

Spinning out of the events of both Batman/Superman: World's Finest and Shadow War, father and son will do battle in one of the single most earth-shattering tales ever told! Deep in the heart of Lazarus Island, the demonic legacy of the al Ghul family line has at last been freed, and the Devil Nezha is out for blood. To reclaim his total domination over planet Earth, Nezha has supercharged magic—anyone who dares use it is overcome by a demonic evil that supercharges their abilities to dangerous, unpredictable, and in some cases deadly levels! With Damian in Nezha's clutches and Bruce haunted by the return of an old friend, the Dark Knight and the Boy Wonder are pitted against one another in the battle of the century! Legendary writer Mark Waid helms the next epic saga in Batman history, while superstar artist Mahmud Asrar makes his triumphant return to DC!

DARK CRISIS: WORLDS WITHOUT A JUSTICE LEAGUE — WONDER WOMAN #1 ONE SHOT

Story: Tini Howard, Dan Watters | Art: Leila Del Duca,Brandon Peterson | Cover: Leila Del Duca | $4.99

When Pariah and his forces of the Great Darkness laid waste to the most powerful superheroes of all time, all hope was lost ... until now. To power his weapons of war, Pariah has captured each member of the Justice League and trapped them on worlds suited to their every dream and desire...while the planets themselves slowly eat away at their respective inhabitants. As Wonder Woman begins a new chapter in her life, Pariah has uprooted her to a reality he controls—how will the Amazon Princess adapt? Also, Dan Watters and Brandon Peterson combine forces for a noir tale featuring Martian Manhunter! Where there’s life there’s hope, and with that hope comes a deeper unraveling of the tapestry of the DCU’s biggest event of 2022!

FLASH: THE FASTEST MAN ALIVE #1 (OF 3)

Story: Kenny Porter | Art: Ricardo Lopez Ortiz | Cover: Max Fiumara | 48 pages | $5.99

Writer Kenny Porter and artist Ricardo López Ortiz combine the worlds of movies and comic books in The Flash: The Fastest Man Alive, a three-issue monthly series that leads up to The Flash, the hotly anticipated action adventure from Warner Bros. Pictures.

In The Flash: The Fastest Man Alive, Barry Allen’s world-saving adventure with the Justice League has driven Central City’s favorite son to become a truly skilled and inspirational superhero. But when a new threat by the name of Girder emerges in Central City, Barry turns to Batman for advice on training to master his powers. Under the Dark Knight’s tutelage, The Fastest Man Alive will have to find a way to defeat this metallic menace or be crushed by Girder’s strength!

This 48-page debut issue arrives in participating comic book shops and digital retailers on Tuesday, April 26, 2022, with a collection of the three-issue series available in October. Issue #1 features a main cover by Max Fiumara with a variant cover by the director of The Flash, Andy Muschietti. The Flash arrives in theaters November 4. 2022. Issue #2 available in May will feature art by fan-favorite Juan Ferreyra, with Jason Howard providing art for the final issue in July.

• Originally scheduled for April, but delayed (like the  movie).

FUTURE STATE: GOTHAM #17

HARLEY QUINN: 30 YEARS OF THE MAID OF MISCHIEF HC

I AM BATMAN #13

JOKER/HARLEY QUINN: CRIMINAL SANITY TP

JOKER PRESENTS: A PUZZLEBOX HC

• Can anyone recommend this?

JURASSIC LEAGUE #5 (OF 6)

Story: Daniel Warren Johnson, Juan Gedeon | Art: Juan Gedeon | Cover: Daniel Warren Johnson | $3.99

Darkseid has revealed himself, and the entire world trembles beneath his might. Can even the newly assembled Jurassic League stand a chance against this ankylosaur antagonist and his Legion of Doomasauria? Experience this prehistoric penultimate chapter to find out!

• Doomasauria? Now you're just making things up.

SUICIDE SQUAD: KING SHARK TP

SUPERMAN: SON OF KAL-EL #15

TEEN TITANS: BEAST BOY, RAVEN, BEAST BOY LOVES RAVEN BOXED SET

WONDER WOMAN #791

DYNAMITE

AOD VS REANIMATOR: NECRONOMICON RISING #3

ARMY OF DARKNESS 1979 TP

DEJAH THORIS VOL 1: AN OUTCAST OF MARS TP

IMMORTAL RED SONJA #6

MADBALLS VS GARBAGE PAIL KIDS #3

RED SONJA (2019) VOL 3: CHILDREN'S CRUSADE TP

VAMPIRELLA: MINDWARP #1 (OF 5)

Story: Jeff Parker | Art: Ben Dewey | Cover: Joseph Michael Linsner | $3.99

It's a deadly chase across reality in a Vampirella epic unlike any you've seen before. Enter the twisted world of Mindwarp!

Meet Baroness Gruzal, an evil sorcerer with an ancient crown that possesses dreadful powers. Gruzal's ambition is to live 1,000 years — and she plans to accomplish this by stealing and inhabiting the powerful body of Vampirella! What follows is a mad chase across time and space itself, as seen through the prism of Vampirella's wild history and dark origins!

Don't miss this new, brain-melting epic from the feverish minds of writer Jeff Parker (Aquaman) and artist Benjamin Dewey (Namor)!

IDW PUBLISHING

DARK SPACES: WILDFIRE #3

GODZILLA VS. MMPR #5 (OF 5)

SONIC THE HEDGEHOG VOL 12: TRIAL BY FIRE TP

STAR TREK: LOWER DECKS #1

Story: Ryan North | Art/Cover: Chris Fenoglio | 48 pages | $6.99

The hit Paramount+ animated series makes its comics debut with Eisner-winning comics writer Ryan North (The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl) at the helm! Soon after leading her crew on a planetary expedition aimed at building bridges and advancing Federation technology, Captain Freeman begins to suspect that the planet and its people are not all what they seem. ... Meanwhile, the crew in the lower decks take to the holodeck, enjoying some much-needed recreational time-until a bloodthirsty visitor decides to join in on their games!

• Not only is this a show I really enjoy, but it's perfect for comics adaptation.

TRVE KVLT #2

IMAGE COMICS

ABOVE SNAKES #3 (OF 5)

BLOOD STAINED TEETH VOL 1: BITE ME TP

BONE ORCHARD MYTHOS: BLACK FEATHERS #1

Story: Jeff Lemire | Art: Dave Stewart | Art/Cover: Andrea Sorrentino | $3.99

From the acclaimed creative team behind Gideon Falls, Primordial and The Passageway comes a new series in the bold and ambitious shared horror universe of The Bone Orchard Mythos — Ten Thousand Black Feathers by Jeff Lemire and Andrea Sorrentino. This chilling new tale of terror will land on shelves from Image Comics in September.

The Passageway introduces readers to the Bone Orchard and now with Ten Thousand Black Feathers we dig in and really start to explore this new universe," said Lemire. “This is a story of friendship, coming of age and imagination that is equal parts horrific, mysterious and heart wrenching.”

Trish and Jackie are best friends and avid gamers. But when the line between reality and their fantasy world is blurred by an evil darkness, can they be the heroes of their own story?

Sorrentino added: "Ten Thousand Black Feathers will be the second installment of our descent into the Bone Orchard Mythos world and it's a dark mystery that influenced (unfortunately, for the worst) the lives of the two women for more than 20 years. The way the story is laid out — told between present and a mysterious past — gave me the chance to play with styles in a way that will be new to readers of The Passageway. Can't wait for readers to pick up the first issue this September!"

Lemire and Sorrentino’s The Bone Orchard Mythos is a shared horror universe that kicked off with the release of The Passageway original graphic novel. It will continue to feature self-contained graphic novels and limited series about the unsettling darkness waiting to be discovered within the Bone Orchard.

• I was disappointed in The Passageway, which seemed deliberately and frustratingly incomprehensible. I'll give Lemire & Sorrentino one more chance to impress me.

DO A POWERBOMB #4 (OF 7)

KING SPAWN #14

LAST SHADOWHAWK #1 3D (30TH ANNV ONE-SHOT)

LEAST WE CAN DO #1

Fan-favorite creative duo Iolanda Zanfardino and Elisa Romboli (A Thing Called Truth) re-team for an all-new fantasy series in The Least We Can Do.

"Like for our previous books, we put our heart and soul into The Least We Can Do," said Zanfardino. " This time, we also put some fighting, magic, thirst for justice, blood, revenge and many buff women into it! This post-apocalyptic dystopian world sprung up inside me, demanding to be narrated. All the characters came alive in my head and, what was particularly exciting with this story, was that the complexity of the plot all came together very naturally for me. Did I love writing this story? Hell yes! I really hope you'll love reading it!"

Mysterious magical power arises from a world nearly destroyed by war. A young woman fights for her ideas of revolution and to build a new society from the debris. Realizing that she can’t do it alone, she has to prove her worth to the Eclipse Rebels to join them against the dreadful Eden Army.

A story of discovering what is right and what love means in a military-occupied and socially oppressed United Kingdom.

Romboli added: "It feels great to finally be able to reveal what we’ve been working on for all these months! Drawing The Least We Can Do pages has been an opportunity to work on so many different narrative situations, story moods, and showcase bodies we don't see often in the media. I'm very proud of how it turned out! I'm sure readers will love all the singular characters of this new world. And I bet they will be looking forward to seeing what happens next!"

LOVE EVERLASTING #2

RIGHTEOUS THIRST FOR VENGEANCE #11

SEVEN SONS #4 (OF 7)

SEVEN TO ETERNITY HC

SILVER COIN #14

SUPPER CLUB TP

Up-and-coming cartoonist Jackie Morrow presents a charming new story filled with friendship, food, and drama in the upcoming Supper Club. This YA original graphic novel is set to hit shelves from Image Comics in August.

Supper Club follows Seaside High seniors Nora, Lili and Iris. Their differing schedules and mounting extracurriculars inspire the girls to form a secret club where they can hang without sacrificing their future aspirations. Enter Supper Club, the delicious solution to their problems. When life starts to crumble like a cookie under the girls’ feet, they rely on comfort food to hold it together. Can Supper Club endure life’s most challenging recipes without burning to a crisp?

"For readers who have faced growing pains at any age and need reminding that you can always be yourself — with your friends or in the kitchen. A home-cooked meal is unconditional love," said Morrow.

MARVEL COMICS

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #9

AXE: JUDGMENT DAY #4 (OF 6)

BEN REILLY: SPIDER-MAN TP

CAPTAIN MARVEL #41

DAREDEVIL #3

EDGE OF SPIDER-VERSE #3 (OF 5)

Story: Dan Slott, Sanshiro Kasama, & Nikesh Shukla | Art: Sumeyye Kesgin, Hikaru Uesugi, Abhishek Malsuni, Mark Bagley, Paco Medina, David Baldeón, & Gerardo Sandoval | Covers: Josemaria Casanovas, Kris Anka | Teen+ | $4.99

The Spider-Verse as we know it has been transformed! EDGE OF SPIDER-VERSE #1 marked the beginning of a new era of Spider-Verse storytelling with a new status quo for Araña, the roaring debut of Spider-Rex and more! And things are only just getting started as each issue of this new limited series will contain more thrilling additions to the Spider-Verse mythos in the form of new heroes, fresh journeys for iconic favorites, and the rise of a dark threat that could end the Spider-Verse for good. The series will serve as the foundation for Dan Slott’s next Spidey epic, beginning in October’s SPIDER-MAN #1.

Here's what fans can expect from the third issue in this exciting saga, EDGE OF SPIDER-VERSE #3, on sale September 14:

• What if Felicia Hardy became a Spider-hero? Dan Slott teams up with artist Sumeyye Kesgin to answer that question with the debut of super thief Night-Spider! Check out her sleek look, designed by artist superstar artist Kris Anka, in a special design variant cover!
  • Introduced in the hit Deadpool: Samurai manga and fresh off her recent appearance in Deadpool: Black, White, & Blood, Sakura-Spider strikes out on her own! Learn the origins of this breakout new hero in a story by her creators, Deadpool: Samurai creative team Sanshiro Kasama and Hikaru Uesugi!
  • Author Nikesh Shukla makes his Marvel Comics debut alongside a squad of the best artists in the business including Mark Bagley, Paco Medina, David Baldeón, Gerardo Sandoval and Abhishek Malsuni with the return of fan-favorite hero Pavitr Prabhakar, AKA Spider-Man: India!
  • Here's a preview.

IRON MAN #23

MIDNIGHT SUNS #1 (OF 5)

Story: Ethan Sacks | Art: Luigi Zagaria | Cover: David Nakayama

This September, the MIDNIGHT SUNS are back! Marvel’s fiercest mystical defenders will be called upon to battle a dangerous new enemy in a new limited series by writer Ethan Sacks and artist Luigi Zagaria. MIDNIGHT SUNS will embrace the legacy of the original fan-favorite series with a new lineup that reflects today’s Marvel Universe. The team’s new iteration will consist of Blade, Kushala, the Ghost Rider also known as Spirit Rider, Magik, Wolverine, Nico Minoru, and Zoe Laveau, the breakout character from STRANGE ACADEMY!

A dark prophesy and apocalyptic new villains with horrifying powers the likes of which Earth has never faced before ordains a team of Midnight Suns to rise and tear @#$% up! But what does this new threat have to do with the Sorcerer Supreme’s past? And why is Strange Academy student Zoe Laveau number one on the Suns’ list?

"As a fan of the original MIDNIGHT SONS, I am honored and stoked to continue that legacy, and I'm grateful to editor Tom Groneman for giving me the chance to dabble in this mystical corner of the Marvel Universe,” Sacks said. “We're going to conjure up some wild otherworldly action to go along with some themes that have real world resonance. Having fallen in love with the team book concept on STAR WARS: BOUNTY HUNTERS, I'm primed and ready to put this lineup of heroes through hell...so to speak."

"Seeing the first issue pages come in, I can also say artist Luigi Zagaria's art is going to cast a spell over readers,” Sacks said of his collaborator. “It's just stunning work. He's at the top of his game."

• Blade and GR were original Midnight Suns, so they fit. Spirit Rider is just another Ghost Rider, so she works. Magik and Zoe Laveau are magic-based, so they make sense. Nico Minoru is a natural, and doesn't currently have a home. Wolverine, of cou — WOLVERINE?
  • Here's a preview.

MS. MARVEL & VENOM #1 ONE-SHOT

Story: Jody Houser | Art: Dave Wachter | Covers: Sara Pichelli, Peach Momoko | $4.99

The mystery will come to an epic close in September’s MS. MARVEL & VENOM #1. Venom is on the hunt … but who is hunting Venom?! Ms. Marvel and Dylan Brock, the new wicked web-slinger on the block, team up as a scheme to harness the symbiote rears its ugly head! The finale will also reveal the connection between all three team-ups, and fans won’t believe who’s been pulling the strings!

"I'm thrilled to be back playing in the Marvel superhero sandbox, especially with a character at vital as Ms. Marvel,” Houser said. “Teaming her up with some of the darker heroes of the 616 shows just how bright her light really is."

Each issue will also have a collection of variant covers by some of the industry’s leading artists, including three stunning pieces by superstar artist Peach Momoko.

PREDATOR #2

SAVAGE AVENGERS #5

SPIDER-PUNK #5 (OF 5)

SPIDER-VERSE: AMAZING SPIDER-MAN GN

STAR WARS: BOUNTY HUNTERS #27

STAR WARS: OBI-WAN KENOBI #5 (OF 5)

STAR WARS VOL 4: CRIMSON REIGN TP

VENOM #10

WHAT IF MILES MORALES TP

X-MEN '92: HOUSE OF XCII #5 (OF 5)

X-MEN RED #6

MORE COMICS

06 PROTOCOL #1

Story: Lee Turner | Art: Cliff Richards | Cover: Andy Clarke | Aftershock | $4.99

The seemingly perfect life of the Mirino family is shattered when family patriarch, Faust, is brutally murdered on a quiet summer night. His wife, Cat, and 16-year-old daughter, Missy, are forced to confront a shocking truth about Faust's involvement in a secret government program known as THE '06 PROTOCOL.

Now, Cat and Missy have to protect each other as they are hunted, and haunted, by the people and secrets of Faust's double life.

Written by Lee Turner and illustrated by Cliff Richards (10 YEARS TO DEATH, Batman: Red Hood — The Lost Days, Wonder Woman: Mission's End) comes a story of family secrets, betrayal and bonds built in blood.

• Who names their kid Faust? What kid named Faust doesn't change it the minute he turns 18? What kids don't suspect when their father's name is Faust that he's probably made some bad deals?
  •  I'm not afraid of needles, but wow, that's a lot of needles.

APAMA: THE UNDISCOVERED ANIMAL #12

BEORN #3

BLIND ALLEY #5 (OF 5)

BLOODBORNE: LADY OF THE LANTERNS #2

COVER THE DEAD WITH LIME #2

DARK BEACH #6 (OF 6)

FLAVOR GIRLS #3 (OF 3)

FRANK FRAZETTA'S DEATH DEALER #5

• The "B" cover is Frank Frazetta's "The Sea Witch," which is who (or what) the story's about.

FUNGIRL: YOU ARE REVOLTING ONE-SHOT

Story/Art: Elizabeth Pitch | Silver Sprocket | Mature | 32 pages | $5.99

Fungirl is back in this sensational, sopping wet one-shot! With Becky away at college, Fungirl and Peter are left to their own devices. Suddenly, a mysterious renter appears in search of a room and charms our lust-ridden heroine. Is this blossoming connection too good to be true?

JONNA AND UNPOSSIBLE MONSTERS #11

LOVECRAFT: UNKNOWN KADATH #1

Story: Florentino Florez | Art: Guillermo Sanna | Art/Cover: Jacques Salomon | Ablaze | $3.99

"Aa-shanta'nygh! You're free! Return the Gods of the land to their home in unknown Kadath! And pray that you never get to know me in any of my other thousand incarnations. ... For I am Nyarlathotep The creeping chaos!"

Randolph Carter, a traveler to dreamland, tries not to wake up before reaching his goal, the elusive Kadath: the home of the gods, a place of fantasy and overflowing imagination. Carter walks through a world full of threats and abominable monsters, but also of palaces, exuberant cities and geographies that remind man of his insignificant role on the gigantic cosmic chessboard.

What are the reasons to keep going when everything around us is terrifying and lethal? Kadath may offer some answers to this question!

An adaptation of H.P. Lovecraft's The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath unlike anything you've read before.

LUNAR ROOM #4

MINDSET #3

POP STAR ASSASSIN 2 #1

Story: Ed Lavallee | Art/Cover: Marcelo Basile | Sumerian Comics | Mature | $3.99

Pop Star Assassin is back, baby! Veronica gets a ride. McQuinn and Molly visit an old friend at Pair-A-Dice City. TiTi rolls out in a 1965 Cadillac Eldorado convertible. We take a walk through Bruce's subconscious with Mr. Krolik.

REVEALER #1 ONE-SHOT

Vault is thrilled to announce that in August 2022 they will publish the phenomenal comic book tie-in to REVEALER, the hotly anticipated Shudder original horror film from Michael Moreci, Tim Seeley & Luke Boyce. The one-shot will be written by Moreci, Seeley, Boyce and Aaron Koontz, with art by Dean Kotz, and more creators who will be announced soon.

All net proceeds from the REVEALER comic will be donated to Brave Space Alliance, the first Black-led, trans-led LGBTQ+ Center located on the South Side of Chicago, Ill.

REVEALER is set during the height of Satanic Panic in 1980s Chicago. Angie Pitarelli just wants to make some extra cash dancing in her peep show booth at the Revealers Adult Bookstore. Sally Mewbourne wants to save Angie’s soul by leading a protest outside her workplace. When the sky turns red and terror starts to consume the streets, Angie and Sally end up trapped in Angie’s booth — and, together, have to find a way to survive an apocalypse of biblical, and demonic, proportions. The REVEALER film is a Shudder Original and will be available on their streaming service on Thursday, June 23.

"We made a movie! And, of course, being comic book guys, we had to make a comic that ties into that movie,” said Seeley. “Vault is giving us a chance to tell some stories that we couldn't do in the film, and play in the sandbox created by the great Luke Boyce."

"I'm thrilled beyond words about all of this,” added Moreci. “Making a movie has been my dream for as long as I can remember. And getting a chance to now marry two of my loves — movies and comics — is so cool. We've got so many great stories to tell in the REVEALER universe, and along with director Luke Boyce and a few others, we're going to put out a comic we're very excited about."

• Do peep shows still exist? I'm not aware of any in Memphis, although I guess they wouldn't advertise. I remember driving by porn shops that probably had them back in the '70s, but I never went in, so I don't know for sure. New York apparently had a lot of them, according to the movies. I bet the Internet put them out of business, like it did print porn.
  • I doubt any peep show in the world had a girl who is as gorgeous as our Angie above.

ROBYN HOOD: BABA YAGA #1

• Zenescope.

ROCK COLLECTOR ONE-SHOT

Story/Art: Becca Tobin | Silver Sprocket | $5.99

Olive and Louise are aliens living a leisurely life: painting, playing the lute, and collecting puzzle rocks. Plus, it's super fun to go planet-side and snoop through other people's stuff. But when a puzzle rock trip goes wrong, Louise has to get Olive out of danger-fast!

• This week's What Th—?!

SACRAMENT #2

SAMURAI DOGGY #2

SGT. WEREWOLF #1

Story: Rich Woodall | Art/Cover: Rich Woodall | Black Caravan | $4.99

Sgt. Steve Hovatter leads a small group of U.S. commandos to infiltrate Lichtenstein Castle in Germany and recover intel on Nazi occult operations. The commandos are captured, and Sgt. Hovatter is executed. Hours later Sgt. Hovatter is transformed into a werewolf and uncovers a much more sinister plot at Castle Lichtenstein. The Nazis are trying to evoke the Norse god of thunder, Thor, to aid them in their war efforts. Sgt. Werewolf must save his team from this castle of horrors, but he'll have to go through an army of golems first.

• It's only fair the Allies get werewolves, what with all the Nazi zombies and vampires.

SHERLOCK SCANDAL IN BELGRAVIA PART 2 #2

SIXTH GUN ONI 25TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION #1

SPACE LADY #3

THERES SOMETHING WRONG WITH PATRICK TODD #3

UNTIL MY KNUCKLES BLEED ONE DEADLY SHOT #1

Story/Art: Victor Santos | Behemoth | $3.99

Victor Santos, creator of Polar (now a Netflix motion picture) brings us a new story of crime and capes in the line of THE BOYS, WATCHMEN and SIN CITY set in the world of his new hit series Until My Knuckles Bleed, a one-deadly-shot about war, violence, consequences and redemption.

Gabin Hart, former ‘90s superhero, is serving sentence for the events of the "Extremely Damaged" arc. If he wants some kind of mercy, he should tell something about one of the darkest stories of the most extreme of superhero ages. A story which involves his old team, the CIA and a buried creature in the heart of Europe.

MORE GNs

AIR WARRIORS: WORLD WAR ONE INTERNATIONAL ACES VOL 3

BE KIND MY NEIGHBOR GN

Story/ Art/Cover: Yugo Limbo | Silver Sprocket | $39.99

A psychedelic horror, a whirlwind romance! It begins when cursed troubadour Wegg waltzes into his next podunk and meets Mr. Neighbor, a sweet man made of cloth. Amidst a slew of cult killings and surreal drama, their romance grows-until figures from Wegg's past reappear to claim him once more.

BETTY & VERONICA JUMBO COMICS DIGEST #307

CHANGELING VOL 1 (OF 3) GN

Story/Art: Tina Lugo | Silver Sprocket | 64 pages | $13.99

Long ago, when gods and demons still roamed the earth... a human touched the heart of a beast. Their offspring would be known as lycans: half human, half wolf. Over time, the lycans split into four clans, kept in balance by the Heketi, a group of elite warriors hand-picked to serve as defenders and peacekeepers of their lands.

Luth, a young lycan, enters the grueling trial to become a Heketi for the first time. With her fighting skills, sharp wits, and the help of an oath-bound will-o-wisp, she may just survive the traps and challenges that await her in the forest. However, she may not be able to outrun her destiny as the Dark Star ... and even she does not know what consequences that destiny will bring.

• Here's something unusual: A Silver Sprocket book where I actually understand the premise.
  • Here's a preview.

COMPLETE DC COMICS PHANTOM VOL 3 (OF 3) HC

DUCKS SIGNED EDITION HC

F*CK OFF SQUAD REMASTERED ED GN

Story: Dave Baker | Art/Cover: Nicole Goux | Silver Sprocket | $21.99

Three would-be miscreants attempt to navigate the trials and tribulations of growing up in Los Angeles. Needless to say, it's the greatest comic about Instagram, skating, and low-key trying to date someone while you're still in a relationship ever made. Remastered edition includes updated art, a new minicomic, and more.

• Is it Silver Sprocket week and nobody told me?
  • The art seems to be a two-ink, magenta-and-black affair. Here's a preview.

GREAT GATSBY GN

• If I never have to read The Great Gatsby or Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man again, I will die a happy man.

HIT ME VOL 1 TP

LIVING & DYING IN AMERICA HC

Story/Art: Steve Brodner | Fantagraphics | 480 pages | $29.99

Every day, late at night or early in the morning, from March 26, 2020 to January 1, 2022, the political cartoonist and illustrator Steve Brodner would get to work. In those midnight hours, he would review the day's reportage, sit down at his drawing board, and memorialize a singular person or event that played a role, willingly or unwillingly, in shaping that day.

Living & Dying in America includes many lovingly drawn portraits of those who died in the pandemic and of those who displayed extraordinary strength, decency, courage and endurance. But Brodner does not ignore those who perpetuated the pandemic in word or deed: he also etches in acid caricature those public servants and private entrepreneurs who preyed upon the public, spread lies, and aided the virus' spread through their ignorance, incompetence, and malfeasance. Released via Brodner's daily column in The Nation, the drawings range from quick, expertly realized sketches to elaborate paintings to carefully rendered mixed media, depending on how much time and stamina and inspiration he had left at the end of the day. Each spontaneously drawn or painted image is accompanied by a brief biography of those who died, or a short summary of the person's conduct or the event depicted.

Taken as a whole, Living & Dying in America is a chronicle of those who died and those who honorably served the living — as well as an indictment of those institutions and political figures who betrayed the public trust. It is a searing and essential moral document, written and drawn on a daily basis with feverish intensity by one of the great forces of American cartooning.

LOWER YOUR SIGHTS GN

Story: Various, Matt Kindt, Jim Zub, Rich Douek, Ennun Ana Iurov | Art: Various, Richard Pace, Liana Kangas, Dave Chisolm, Sharlene Kindt | Cover: Yev Haidamaka | Mad Cave Studios | $17.99

Lower Your Sights is an anthology that focuses on the consequences of war, the peace/relief effort, and mental health. In addition to tales from today's hottest creators, the collection includes art pieces and write-ups from numerous Ukrainian illustrators. All proceeds are being donated to the Ukrainian-based Voices of Children to provide psychological and psychosocial support to children affected by war.

• You really have to admire the Ukrainians. Like they say, "It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog."

MADWOMAN OF THE SACRED HEART HC

Story: Alejandro Jodorowsky | Art/Cover: Moebius

The comedic and ironic misadventures of a confused Philosophy professor on the path to spiritual awakening. From Legendary artist Moebius (The Incal, Arzach, Blueberry) and writer Alejandro Jodorowsky (The Incal, Metabarons, Jodorowsky's Dune).

Alan Mangel has it all. As a popular professor at the world-famous Université de La Sorbonne, he is wealthy, married, and academically acclaimed. On his sixtieth birthday, however, his life crumbles as a beautiful young student claims she has received a holy vision that Mangel is to impregnate her with the second coming of John the Baptist. Thus begins a wild existential and spiritual journey that challenges Mangel's very reality when everything once true is proved to be false, while everything once false is proved to be true.

• You're a grown-up, dude. Explain the problem to administrators, and have a restraining order put on her. Explain the problem to her parents, and get her the mental-health treatment she needs. Tell your wife about it, in case the girl shows up at your door. Make this very, very public and never be alone with her. And then go on with your perfect life.
  • But I guess if the protagonist acts like a grown-up, there wouldn't be a graphic novel.

MONSTER PLANET TP

NIGHTFELL HC

Story: Nicolas Giacondino, Jeremy Tolbert | Art/Cover: Nicolas Giacondino | CEX Publishing | $19.99

Welcome to Nightfell; a world locked in a cycle of struggle between the forces of light and dark ... or is it? Every ninety years, the world of Berun is subject to ten years of darkness when the shining eyes of the gods close and monsters boil forth from the depths below to devour all in their path.

NO KIDDING TP

NOWHERE GIRL GN

Story/Art: Magali Le Huche | Nobrow | $19.99

A coming-of-age story that explores adolescence, failure...and the Beatles. This is the story of a girl growing up in the 1990s-a middle-schooler who finds herself lost in the gulf between childhood and adolescence, developing paralyzing fears of failure, school, other people, and her own changing body. Along the way, she becomes obsessed with the Beatles... which might be just what she needs to find her way back to being okay. Yeah yeah yeah!

• Nice to see The Beatles can still inspire.

PLAZA TP

Story: Yuichi Yokoyama | Cover: Kazunari Hattori | Art/Cover: Yuichi Yokoyama | Living the Line | $32.00

Bigger, bolder, and louder than ever before, neo-manga artist Yokoyama Yuichi is back with PLAZA! Inspired by Carnaval in Brazil, PLAZA offers a maniacal extravaganza of marching, dancing, leaping, firing, cheering, smashing, and exploding over the course of 225 eye-and-eardrum-confounding pages. Originally published in Japan in 2019, this oversize English edition of PLAZA brings to full, hyper-animated life the spectacular graphic art of this genre-defying work of avant-garde comics.

PRINCE VALIANT VOL 25 1985-1986 HC

• Anybody know how many volumes of this there will be?

SAILOR TWAIN 10TH ANNIVERSARY HC

Story/Art: Mark Siegel | First Second Books | $34.99

When a riverboat captain rescues an injured mermaid from the waters of the busiest port in the United States, he unleashes a calamity that only true love-if such a thing is possible-could avert. A mysterious and beguiling love story with elements of Poe, Twain, Hemingway, and Greek mythology, Sailor Twain is a study in romance, atmosphere, and suspense. In this new edition, Sailor Twain is printed larger than ever before, showcasing the charcoal artwork in all its glory. It also includes new backmatter, such as an author's note about the inspiration behind the story, an insider's look at Mark Siegel's unique and painstaking creative process, and never-before-seen tribute art from beloved comic artists like Ben Hatke and Vera Brosgol.

• I am not nearly as familiar with First Second’s catalogue as I should be.

SPEED REPUBLIC VOL 1 TP

MORE MANGA

APOTHECARY DIARIES GN VOL 06

CALL OF THE NIGHT GN VOL 09

CICATRIX GN

DRAGON QUEST ADV OF DAI GN VOL 04

FANGS GN VOL 02

FLY ME TO THE MOON GN VOL 13

I WAS REINCARNATED AS 7TH PRINCE GN VOL 01

INTO DEEPEST MOST UNKNOWABLE DUNGEON GN VOL 04

JEALOUSY GN VOL 05

LADIES ON TOP GN VOL 01

LOVE NEST GN VOL 01

MAGICAL BOY GN VOL 02

MAO GN VOL 07

MASHLE MAGIC & MUSCLES GN VOL 08

MY HAPPY MARRIAGE GN VOL 01

NORAGAMI OMNIBUS GN VOL 01

POKEMON ADV X Y GN VOL 03

RISING OF THE SHIELD HERO GN VOL 19

ROSEN BLOOD GN VOL 04

SILENT VOICE COMPLETE COLL HC VOL 02

WORLD PIECE GN VOL 02

YAKUZA LOVER GN VOL 06

MORE KIDS

It's a big week for kids, middle school and YA books.

ABBY CURLED UP & ON ROLL HC

ADVENTUREGAME COMICS GN VOL 01 LEVIATHAN

AGENT MOOSE GN VOL 03 OPERATION OWL

ANIMAL CROSSING NEW HORIZONS GN VOL 03

ARCADE WORLD GN CHAPTERBOOK VOL 04 EATH TO ALIENS

CAT CAFE COLLECTION ONE CUP AT A TIME

CRYPTID CLUB HC

DIARY OF AN 8-BIT WARRIOR GN VOL 03 ANOTHER WORLD

ELINOR WONDERS WHY HC GN FOREST GIANTS

ELINOR WONDERS WHY HC GN HIDING IN PLAIN SIGHT

EVERYTHING IS OKAY TP

FIVE NIGHTS AT FREDDYS GN COLL VOL 01 FAZBEAR FRIGHTS

GODDESS GIRLS GN VOL 03 APHRODITE THE BEAUTY

HEROES IN TRAINING GN VOL 03 HADES & HELM OF DARKNESS

JOHN CARPENTER STORM KIDS YARD GANG HALLOWEEN SPECIAL

LET’S GET BURGERS ONE-SHOT

LOUIE AND BEAR BITE BACK GN

NICO BRAVO & TRIAL OF VULCAN HC GN

RIDE ON GN

SPY NINJAS GN VOL 01 VIRTUAL REALITY MADNESS

SUPER TURBO GN VOL 07 MEETS THE CAT-NAPPERS

SURVIVING THE WILD SUNNY THE SHARK HC

TRYOUT GN

UP TO NO GHOUL GN

MAGAZINES

ALTER EGO #177

BACK ISSUE #138

STAR WARS INSIDER #21

BOOKS

BLACK PANTHER UPRISING NOVEL HC

MARVEL'S AVENGERS: ASSEMBLY X CHANGE STUDENTS SC

SHURI BLACK PANTHER VOL 2: VANISHED NOVEL SC

STAR TREK COOKBOOK

STAR TREK PICARD: SECOND SELF NOVEL HC

STAR WARS: GALAXYS GREATEST VILLAINS VOL 1 SC

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• "Anybody know how many volumes of [Price Valiant] there will be?"

I do not, but as long as they keep putting them out I will keep buying them. they are well beyond the pure Foster years at this point, and well beyond the point the previous series left off. That's all right with me, though; the John Cullin Murphy material deserves to be reprinted in this format as well. 

• Talk about the "injury to the eye" motif!

large-2995360.jpg?1662320912&profile=RESIZE_710x

• I also intend to buy Prince Valiant until it ends, or I do. I was just curious how far away that might be. At least we're getting close to finishing the Carl Barks Library!

• ...and EC.

'Tis truly a Golden Age in which we live.

This reply was deleted.