I’d like to start this continuation of the Dark Shadows discussion from the old board with a look at some of the new and upcoming Dark Shadows audio stories from Big Finish Productions. There aren’t nearly as many Dark Shadows audio adventures as there are Doctor Who ones, but the Doctor Who series has been around longer. The Dark Shadows audios are a mixed bag. The first release was a full-cast sequel titled “Return to Collinwood”. Later they began to release a series of interconnected sequential stories grouped in short “seasons”. More recently they’ve been going back to the timeline of the original television show and telling interstitial one-shots. As the Dark Shadows series seems to be catching on, Big Finish seems to be ramping up their production schedule. “Curse of the Pharaoh” was released in September, and the next four are set for monthly release beginning in January at a special subscription rate.

CURSE OF THE PHARAOH:

“Curse of the Pharaoh” stars Nancy Barrett (reprising her role as Carolyn Stoddard) and Marie Wallace (perhaps best known as “Eve” on the TV show) in a new role, famed Egyptologist Dr. Gretchen Warwick. The story doesn’t specify, but I assume it takes place shortly after the end of the series original TV series, circa 1970 or so. Both actresses are kind of rusty and sound as old as they are, not as young as they (Caroline, anyway) are supposed to be. Barrett was always a better actress than Wallace, and that remains true. Wallace’s shortcomings are spotlighted in this “dramatic reading” in which she plays other bit parts, most of the male (Bob the bartender at The Blue Whale, Eliot Stokes on the telephone, Carolyn’s father in flashback), which she performs in a gruff kind of storybook voice as if reading aloud to a child. The story itself is a sequel to the unpopular “Leviathan” television storyline. If you’ve never heard a Dark Shadows audio and thinking of trying one out, there are better ones to start with than this.

KEY: OB = Old Board; UR = Un-Reviewed

Return to Collinwood - 169

SEASON ONE:
S1.1 The House of Despair - 1
S1.2 The Book of Temptation - OB
S1.3 The Christmas Presence - OB
S1.4 The Rage Beneath - 7

SEASON TWO: Kingdom of the Dead - 7

DRAMATIC READINGS:

1. Angelique’s Descent-Pt. 1 - OB
2. Angelique’s Descent-Pt. 2 - OB
3. Clothes of Sand - OB
4. The Ghost Walker - OB
5. The Skin Walkers - OB
6. The Path of Fate - OB
7. The Wicked & the Dead - OB
8. Echoes of Insanity - OB
9. Curse of the Pharaoh - 1
10. Final Judgment - 1
11. Blood Dance - 1
12. The Night Whispers - 1
13. London’s Burning - 2
14. The Doll House - 30
15. The Blind Painter - 87
16. The Death Mask - 88
17. The Creeping Fog - 89
18. The Carrion Queen - 89
19. The Poisoned Soul - 96
20. The Lost Girl - 96
21. The Crimson Pearl - 114
22. The Voodoo Amulet - 129
23. The House by the Sea - 170
24. Dress Me in Dark Dreams - 154
25. The Eternal Actress - 162
26. The Fall of House Trask - 163
27. Operation: Victor - 166
28. Speak No Evil - 166
29. The Last Stop - 166
30. Dreaming of the Water - 167
31. The Haunted Refrain - 167
32. A Collinwood Christmas - 167
33. The Phantom Bride - 167
34. Beneath the Veil - 167
35. The Enemy Within - 167
36. The Lucifer Gambit - 167
37. The Flip Side - 167
38. Beyond the Grave - 168
39. Curtain Call - 168
40. The Harvest of Souls - 170
41. The Happier Dead - 168
42. The Carriage Damned - 168
43. The Devil Cat - 168
44. The Darkest Shadow - 173

SEASON THREE: Bloodlust - 170-172, 181

45. Panic - 173
46. The Curse of Shurafa - 173
47. In the Twinkling of an Eye - 173
48. Deliver Us from Evil - 173
49. Tainted Love - 173
50. ...And Red All Over - 175

Echoes of the Past - 176

Blood & Fire - 176

Haunting Memories - 177

Phantom Melodies - 178

Dreams of Long Ago - 178

THE TONY & CASSANDRA MYSTERIES:
The Mystery at Crucifix Heights - 179
The Mystery of La Danse Macabre - 179
The Mystery of Flight 493 - 180
The Mystery of Karmina Sonata - 180

SHADOWS OF THE NIGHT:
Trio - 180
Honeymoon from Hell - 180
Retreat -180
1:53 AM - 180

MAGGIE & QUENTIN - THE LOVERS' REFRAIN:
The Girl Beneath the Water - 180
The Sand That Speaks HIs Name - 180
The Hollow Winds That Beckon
The Paper to the Flame

Views: 12998

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

She guest-stars in an episode of Space: 1999, too, but spends most (if not all) of the episode unconscious, IIRC.
Jeff of Earth-J said:
She guest-stars in an episode of Space: 1999, too, but spends most (if not all) of the episode unconscious, IIRC.

Outside, it's permanent daylight on MoonBase Alpha. Unconscious or .... ?
In House of Dark Shadows, Roger Davis plays Jeff Clark and Don Briscoe plays Todd Blake. Davis played a Jeff Clark on TV, but he was merely the 20th century manifestation of Peter Bradford, who Vicki fell in love with in 1795. Don Briscoe’s primary role(s) on TV were the twins, Chris and Tom Jennings; I don’t recall a Todd Blake.

NIGHT OF DARK SHADOWS: NoDS represents a different continuity than HoDS, and features actors not available for the first film (because they were filming the TV show), notably David Selby as Quentin Collins and Lara Parker as Angelique. Some of the actors from HoDS are in NoDS as well, but playing different roles. These include Grayson Hall as Carlotta Drake (rather than Julia Hoffman), John Karlen as Alex Jenkins (rather than Willie Loomis), Nancy Barrett as Claire Jenkins (rather than Carolyn Collins), and so on.

To the best of my recollection (I’ve seen it more than once but not recently), Quentin Collins and Tracy Collins (Kate Jackson) are newlyweds who have recently inherited Collinwood. Carlotta Drake is the housekeeper, and she’s in league with Angelique to get Quentin possessed by his long-dead ancestor. Or something like that. The plot was not adapted from television. HoDS is Citizen Kane in comparison.

Barnabas Joke of the Day: Why does Barnabas light fires wherever he goes? Because he believes in doing things matchurally.
Jeff of Earth-J said:
Barnabas Joke of the Day: Actually, Barnabas is a very kind person. He’ll always lend you a Hell-ping hand.

And he won't take "Nooooooo!" for an answer.
Jeff of Earth-J said:
Barnabas Joke of the Day: Why does Barnabas light fires wherever he goes?

Because it's better to light a candle than to be cursed in the darkness.
I've watched both of the Dark Shadow movies within the last couple of years. House of DS  is a pretty good movie and stands up well even if you aren't familiar with the show, although it is more violent and bloody than anything seen on TV. Night of Dark Shadows was just plain awful.
Barnabas Joke of the Day: Is Barnabas a good host? Sure, he gives his guests all the Bloody Marys they want. And he doesn’t even use their blood.
Barnabas Joke of the Day: Why did Barnabas become a vampire? He didn’t want to flunk his blood test.

"I've watched both of the Dark Shadow movies within the last couple of years. House of DS  is a pretty good movie and stands up well even if you aren't familiar with the show, although it is more violent and bloody than anything seen on TV. Night of Dark Shadows was just plain awful."

My feelings exactly. I saw House when it was first released, when I was a kid. I was shocked by how much bloodier it was than the TV show, and how vicious Barnabas was in the movie. I wish it would come out on DVD. The release has been announced several times, over many years, but it never comes out. I wonder if there are legal issues involved.

Episode #170: The first séance at Collinwood. (One of these days I really must dub all of the séances over the years onto a single themed tape.) People think of Barnabas Collins as the dark Shadows game-changer but he wasn’t; he was merely the follow-up to the game-changer, the Phoenix.

Barnabas Joke of the Day: Do his girlfriends call him “hun”? Yes, they call him “hun” — “Attilla the Hun.”
Barnabas Joke of the Day: did you hear the news? Barnabas has just been named Public Enemy Number One by the National Association of Life Insurance Agents.
Barnabas Joke of the Day: Barnabas likes to fly from New York City to Los Angeles. He says it’s a way to travel ghost-to-ghost.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service