Have you seen it yet? How'd you like it? What were your favorite parts?

(Oh, and even though this is a spoiler thread, it's still really nice if you say a sentence or two before any spoilers, simply because the first line or so of text shows up in the feed. So it'd be good to extend that courtesy, especially in the first week or two of release.)

Views: 1436

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I wonder if they'll find a way to fit either Warlock or Captain Mar-Vell in some future movie involving Thanos.

Warlock should be there. I've heard they might replace Mar-Vell with Ms. Marvel. Possibly something like Abin Sur appeared just long enough to pass on his responsibilities then died.
Where's Mantis? They thought one green girl was enough?

Okay, there will be spoilers in my post. You have been warned!

I saw this movie Saturday and really enjoyed it. It was a fun ride. The visuals were amazing, Marvel really went out on this one.

Thanos looked awesome. I'm glad we got to see more of him. I'm not really sold on the voice though.

Ronan was great as well. Is he a religious fanatic in the comics?

The main cast was fantastic and worked really well. I was surprised by Drax. At first I didn't care for him but he grew on me. For a wrestler turned actor, Dave Bautista has some depth. Plus he's a total beast of a human so it was fun watching him do the fight scenes.

I loved the 80's references, especially the Ranger Rick reference.

I'm not overly familiar with these characters. I picked up the newly released TPB of the 2008 series by Abnett and Lanning. I read the first chapter so I was excited in the film that I knew who Cosmo was and what Nowhere was.

Anyone else excited to see a full shot of a Celestial?

I missed it at the end of the credits scene but I've heard debate that you see Adam Warlock's cocoon opening.

I really liked Yondo. I'm a Michael Rooker fan and he fit this version of the character really well. I know absolutely nothing about the original Yondo.

Another favorite bit: "And I need that guy's eye" "no you don't" "Yes, I do, it's important to me".

Anyways it's a fun flick.

Eye? A reference to Original Sin?

Yes to both of these! I actually said aloud "Holy $#!t, that's a Celestial!" My friend, who I figured was annoyed by that kind of comment throughout the movie, actually said he was jealous that I had so much more reason to love the movie than he did.

Jason Marconnet (Pint sized mod) said:

I loved the 80's references, especially the Ranger Rick reference.

Anyone else excited to see a full shot of a Celestial?

Then if they ever get the Fantastic Four rights we might actually see a Galactus that looks like Galactus?

In a way the movies are like the comics in the 70s. Stories went cosmic but writers weren't allowed to use the Silver Surfer.

Yeah, it did seem a little bit off, but I think it reflects an alien understanding of English metaphor. I think it may have been better if Rocket had a line to show that this spread across all alien races.

Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) said:

I have to admit, the one line from Gamora (and here I add a little of extra verbiage to get out of thread-preview spoiler territory) about "sticks up their butts" bugged me. It's a good joke, but it felt lazy to me, because that's *specifically* Drax's shtick. I wish they'd taken another pass at that scene to give Gamora her *own* way to be funny.

Rocket did, sort of, when he asked what a Racoon was. Ok I guess it's not the same.

Wandering Sensei: Moderator Man said:

Yeah, it did seem a little bit off, but I think it reflects an alien understanding of English metaphor. I think it may have been better if Rocket had a line to show that this spread across all alien races.

Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) said:

I have to admit, the one line from Gamora (and here I add a little of extra verbiage to get out of thread-preview spoiler territory) about "sticks up their butts" bugged me. It's a good joke, but it felt lazy to me, because that's *specifically* Drax's shtick. I wish they'd taken another pass at that scene to give Gamora her *own* way to be funny.

Word is, you can see his Cocoon in the Collector's, er, collection

Fred W. Hill said:

I wonder if they'll find a way to fit either Warlock or Captain Mar-Vell in some future movie involving Thanos.

Okay, I've seen it twice and now feel like I can give an in-depth review. So here goes:

LOVED IT!!!!!!!

There were enough Easter eggs for us comic nerds but my friend, who has NO CLUE about the comic stuff, loved every minute of it. Each character was given enough screen time to show who they were. Each character's back story was at least hinted at, without much in the way of info-dump.

And it was funny, really funny, character-driven funny. This is something Marvel has done well but in smaller doses.

And then...everything the rest of you said.

I can't find much to complain about. Which is difficult for a comic lover on the internet. :)

And Gunn posted on FB that he's already started on GotG 2! As long as he continues to focus on the family dynamic of this bunch, I look forward to the next installment.

I loved it, too, though there were some bits I did not love: 

http://www.rpsteeves.com/2014/08/wrapped-up-like-movie-review-guard...

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service