Happy birthday, Craig!

I'm not online much these days, but I do want to come to the Ask Mr. Silver Age website long enough to wish our best pal Craig Shutt the happiest of birthdays!. Try not to collide with too many skyscrapers today.

--Your pal, Hoy Murphy

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Craig,

Happy Birthday!!!

Dave

• "Ours is a fragile planet," I thought to myself last night, while washing mulch off my hands. "It's important... did I say important? I meant VITAL that each and every one of us leaves behind a legacy, a touchstone portion of our souls that will live on long after our physical bodies may have left this mortal coil." And what, pray tell, caused me to ponder the vagaries of legacy-leaving? Merely this: The annual honoring of he who, almost alone amongst us, has strode with the giants of comic bookdom. Who, other than the man whose very name headlines this hallowed section of the web, has done more to instill within us that sense of belonging, that spirit of comradery, that gut-busting pure enjoyment of the comic books of yesteryear? Who indeed, other than he whose birthday we have come here to honor: Craig "Mr. Silver Age" Shutt.

Every year I struggle to come up with what I hope to be the perfect gift to bestow upon our legendary leader. And this year, as in years past, I think I've found the answer. What could be more emblematic of the joy his writings have brought us than to present him with three more rare, classic, near-mint editions of Silver Age comic books? Only one thing could be more emblematic, I answered my own query: to serve Mr. Shutt not the actual comic books... but wait for it... to serve him with JPGs of the covers of those comics. But it gets better! Not the actual JPG files, but to instead post them here, on the website dedicated to his sadly-discontinued-but-still-alive-in-our-hearts columns. And would one cover image be enough? Not likely! Would two be enough? Heavens no! Would three be enough? EXACTLY! Three is enough! 

But which three? Shouldn't there be a theme to this gift? Yes, there should, and I chose as my theme this year to find the 25th issue of three Silver Age comic books -- the Silver anniversary, if you will, of these three titles. A genius idea, you might say, but the genius of course is not my own -- it again comes from the inspiration... and yes, the very legacy -- handed down to us by Mr. Shutt.

Happy Birthday, Craig! 

12557944667?profile=RESIZE_400x

12557983462?profile=RESIZE_400x

12558069853?profile=RESIZE_400x

• I hope you had a silvery birthday today, and that you remembered to wear pants.

Your equally old pal, Hoy Murphy12561225094?profile=RESIZE_710x

• Captain Comics said:

Wait, another birthday? Hoy Murphy just wished you a birthday in another thread 4 minutes ago! You're aging twice as fast everyone else!

Good lord! *choke!*

Weirdly, I can see both versions of this thread.

Wishing Craig a happy birthday, in addition to having wished him one on Facebook!

Dave Blanchard said:

These are the very thoughts that occurred to me this morning, as I was picking out a pair of socks to wear as I began another workday.

My birthday present to Craig (and all of you) is a way to:

• Save time finding matching socks
    • What to do when one sock disappears
    • What to do when one sock has a hole in it

Answer: Have a drawer full of identical socks, like me! You’re all very welcome.

• Thanks, all, for the natal best wishes. As always, Dave, your logic takes a tortuous path to its finish line, and this year's options are truly unexpected even given the box in which you wrapped your gift. But, as always, I understand it's the thought that counts.And I appreciate the photo, Hoy. It gives me hope that I still have a few years before I reach that point, though I feel it creeping closer all the time.

I've learned the solution to finding/selecting a pair of matching socks is to just ignore this strange societal bugaboo and wear whichever two my fingers land on first. I assume people at the mega-mart are so impressed by my sandals that they pay no attention to my socks or, possibly, admire my good sense in ruling fashion rather than the other way around.

I appreciate being remembered for the legend I once was. It's been nearly an unbelievably long while since my column ended with the last issue of CBG, so it's nice to know a few fans are still out there with some vague memories of it.

-- MSA

This reply was deleted.