The death of former child actor Jackie Cooper ( not to be confused with the , somewhat less fortunate as an adult and , infamously , ripped off by his parents Jackie Coogan ) inspires me to start a " Celebrity Deaths - That , Um , Don't Have The Most Obvious Connectuions To Our Beloved Genre , As Those Folks Will Tend To Get A Solo Thread , Admittedly..." omnibus thread .

Directly , Cooper played Perry White in the Salkind/Reeve series of Superman movies , and , as per Wikipedia , about the last thing he did in the directing of episodic TV series that occupied much of his later working years were episodes of the Salkind Superboy series...

Cooper also starred in the CBS series Hennessy ( Probably the subject of a couple Dell FOUR COLOR COMICS issues anyway , wasn't it ????????? ) , enthused over by our Cmdr. Benson , and another B&W-era series , The People's Choice .

In pre-TV days movies with ____ ____ made them something of a team

Views: 3212

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Emerkeith Davyjack said:

...Clark: Well , yes , re Ann Emmys ~ But , especially for a supporting role , Emmy don't nessecarily automatically equal " top B. O." /perceived greater fame (Especially for a series , what , over 7 years in the past when TBB began ??) ~ Still , she DID have higher billing , initially...........

No, but the Emmys would have given her more negotiating clout over billing, not to mention might have made her more desirable to the casting agent in the first place.

...CASEY KASEM has died , ending a sad & bizarre last-months storyline...Aside from his radio chart-counting down , his cartoon voices included Robin on the 1968 Filmation BATMAN series !!!!!!!!!!!

Casem was also the original voice of Shaggy on Scooby Doo.

And now Tony Gwynn -- two years younger than me -- has died.

...Yes , that regarding CaseyShaggy was just so well-known I left it out ~ I think .

Captain Comics said:

Casem was also the original voice of Shaggy on Scooby Doo.

And now Tony Gwynn -- two years younger than me -- has died.

...GERRY GOFFIN ~ songwriter (lyricist) of so many songs here would know --- and many besides --- is gone :-( .

Somewhere , they are doing the Locomotion . And it is no longer relevant whether a girl is too little and must go away .

BILL ADLER was the writer/co-writer/packager of manymanymany cuutsoie paperback books , such as KIDS' LETTERS TO PRESIDENT KENNEDY , WHO KILLED THE ROBINS FAMILY ? , perhaps the ultimate " high concept " title of a Abe Lincoln's Doctor's Dog type , illustrating his aesthetic , CATS' LETTERS TO SANTA...........oh , and BILL ADLER'S FUNNIEST FAN LETTERS TO BATMAN , issued in the mid-60s and now starting at 50 bucks at Amazon !!!!!!!!!!!

I had it . Emphasis on " had " .

He died at 84 . In March . The AAUGH blog told me and now I'm telling you .

ELAINE STRITCH died . Though tending to be remembered as " primarily a Broadway/stage actress/cabaret singer " she had , in her older age , gotten a fair number of Granny parts , I see .

Perhaps I'll annoy everyone by putting up a link to her signature song , " The Ladies Who Lunch " , by Stephen Sondheim (argued - by Steve hisself , actual-like - to be the coining of that phrase...) .

The person who wanted to put a James Garner entry up , yo.........

...BEL KAUFMAN , author of smash novel UP THE DOWN STAIRCASE , died . At 101 .

The NY TIMES has a long obit for her , no time to link.........

...SANDY WILSON , author of the stage musical THE BOY FRIEND , which brought Julie Andrews to America , died .

JOAN RIVERS has died , also . I remember an all-cartoonists episode (strip/syndicated ones , however) of her 80s/90s daytime talk show !

Stan , Sandy , & Joan:-(.........................................

...PAUL REVERE , leader/organist of And The Raiders has died .

He had cancer and was 76 . The Raiders were in a Penguin episode of the BATMAN series .

...MARCIA STRASSMAN , best known as the wife on the TV series " Welcome Back , Kotter " and the movie " Honey , I Shrunk The Kids " and its sequel , has died , of cancer .

She was 66 .

A 1960s singing career had her releasing the singles " The Groovy World of Jack and Jill " and , a regional hit in Los Angeles and Vancouver , Canada , apparently , " The Flower Children " , a spirit-of-'67 cash-in - that appears to have been the first use of that phrase !!!!!!!!!!!

...MARY ANN MOBLEY died , two-time Elvis Presley leading lady and eternal 70s TV guest , and somehow I was saddened more than my really rather limited seeing of anything she was on would appear to justify .

I suppose she's one actor whose rather limied number of feature credits would appear to leave her shut out of an Oscars " death reel " nod this coming yar , huuhh ??????? Maybe the Emmys do one .

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service