Saw a Takashi Miike picture called The Great Yokai War. "Yokai" is a Japanese term for monsters from folklore, as opposed to the more familiar kaiju. It's a kids' picture, about a young boy from Tokyo sent out to live in the countryside with his older sister and his intermittently senile grandfather. When a vengeful spirit appears, the boy gets caught up in a war between warring groups of yokai and must find his courage to become the "Kirin Rider", the hero who will set everything to rights. It's not a bad picture - nothing deep, but an amusing story. Some of the yokai are really trippy, Japanese folklore can get pretty "out there", apparently.

Views: 49028

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Neither of those descriptions is perfectly accurate.

The boat doesn't belong to the criminal, and Godzilla and Mothra do not team up to battle Ebirah.

It's a fun movie,though.  In the original English dubbing, the guy who did the voice of the criminal was  Hal Linden.

Trailer for Magic (1978) Starring Anthony Hopkins, Ann-Margret, Burgess Meredith and Ed Lauter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_5BrCWv_fE

It is playing on TCM Saturday 6/5/21 at 2:45 AM (ET), 1:45 AM (CT) and Friday 6/4/21 at 11:45 PM (PT)

Marijuana is referred to as "Mary Jane," "pot," "weed," or "tea." They never say to each other, "let's smoke a marijuana cigarette." They say, "Let's 'turn on,' or "let's blast a 'joint.'"
--Police Commissioner Burroughs / Narrator (Ned Wever)

The year 1958 saw the release of this flipsville tale of a stranger who shakes things up at a high school of hep-talking teens in a town with a hidden drug menace. We're not just talking reefer here, my cats and kittens, because that's just the gateway to junk, according to the movie's PSA parental units and the local law. New kid Baker (Russ Tamblyn) moves to town with his nympho auntie Gwen (Mamie Van Doren) and he wants to make the scene, you dig?

Let me lay it on you. The soundtrack by Albert Glasser blows hard into jazz, but the pic opens with the Killer himself, Jerry Lee Lewis wailing with his Rock and Roll band in the back of flatbed truck while a crowd of teens dig the groove. We meet Baker and most of the cast, including his new classmates, Quinn (Charles Chaplin, Jr.), "Jukey" (Burt Douglas), J.I. (John Drew Barrymore-- John's kid and Drew's future estranged dad), and Steve (Michael Landon).

While fighting off the advances of his hard-drinking, sex-starved aunt, Baker falls for weed-fiend Joan (Diane Jergins) but spends suspect time with cool teacher Miss Williams (Jan Sterling). He's also trying to make a connection with the local T-man. Jackie Coogan, somewhere between The Kid and Uncle Fester, appears as the sinister "Mr. A." The riff might start sounding like Peyton Place, but the film shakes it up with some gone script noodling and a crazy twist.

Drugs, drag racing, a Lord Buckley-style retelling of the Christopher Columbus story, plus Philippa Fallon as a beat poet, and an ending to keep the squares content. John Wilson, the cat who founded the Golden Raspberry Awards calls it one of the most enjoyable bad movies ever made. That ain't jive, but Wilson undersells the goods.

High School Confidential is the most.

Director: Jack Arnold

Writers: Robert Blees, Lewis Meltzer

-Reprinted from e2, where I also comment on the two hits songs by the title.

Ah, Albert Glasser, a composer well known to MST3K fans.

JD DeLuzio said:

High School Confidential is the most.

I hadn't seen this before, so I watched it YouTube.

I always find it silly when a movie says it has "guest stars." A TV show with a regular cast can have guest stars, but a movie is free-standing.

The classroom monologue by Drew's dad as J.I. (who usually seemed to be imitating Elvis Presley's voice) was exhausting. Every single word was "hep" language. This must be where the DC editors found out how to script teenagers.

I'm surprised that Mamie Van Doren's practically raping her character's nephew was approved in 1958. Jackie Coogan was convincingly menacing.

Godzilla vs. Kong (2021)

PINK PANTHER(S): Last week, some friends of our stopped by on their way to Paris (France, that is; not Texas). We all decided to watch a movie with lots of location shots filmed in Paris and, after some discussion, settled on The Pink Panther (the Steve Martin version). They will be stopping by again tomorrow on their way back and we plan to watch the sequel, The Pink Panther 2. After mulling it over for a week, I asked Tracy if she was in the mood to watch the original again and she enthusiastically agreed, so last night we watched the Peter Sellers version. (I like that movie more every time I see it.) Now that we're through the Gamera movies (all but the 2006 one, which we don't own), we'll probably move on to A Shot in the Dark tonight. Steve Martin's Inspector Clouseau is very different from Peter Sellers', but both movies are products of their respective times. 

Now watching King Kong vs. Godzilla (1962)

The Baron said:

Godzilla vs. Kong (2021)

A SHOT IN THE DARK: This movie is based on a stage play, but loosely I assume. I imagine Blake Edwards acquired the movie rights to a comedy/murder farce and turned it into a vehicle for his Inspector Clouseau. I would be curious to see the play in its original form. 

I'm surprised they haven't renamed it PINK PANTHER EPISODE TWO: A SHOT IN THE DARK.

PINK PANTHER 2: Better than I remembered it. (Actually, I remembered very little of it at all.) Coincidentally,  in a weird coincidence, Tracy's Facebook feed reminded her that she quoted the film six years ago last night.

TEXASVILLE: Finished the book so I re-watched the movie. It's not as good as The Last Picture Show, but it's a good adaptation of the book. My VHS copy is okay (except for a soft, high-pitched whine throughout), but I'd buy a cleaner copy if I could find one for less than 70 bucks.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service